Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #811 of 1082 Old 03-17-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
i suspect that nina will become involved with the new russian guy at which point her "relationship" with stan will become even more complicated.

so why did henry throw away his star chart? is he frustrated that his dad isn't showing more interest in his hobby? it seems that this epsiode wanted to emphasize all the family members going in separate directions.
Young C likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1082 Old 03-17-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

so why did henry throw away his star chart? is he frustrated that his dad isn't showing more interest in his hobby? it seems that this epsiode wanted to emphasize all the family members going in separate directions.

That's what I took from that scene.

Parents. When they don't spend time with you because they are always working, they are out shooting people in the face and trying to destroy the country. They are never there.

I see a game of catch in Henry and Phillip's distant future. Assuming of course they both survive long enough to play baseball. smile.gif

post #813 of 1082 Old 03-20-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

I thought it was pretty obvious the girl on the bus is an agent, especially after they made it clear at he beginning of the episode that the kids are getting a tail (I would have guessed so even without the obvious hint)

And you also have to remember - they understand the typical American teenager much less than the average American parent - since they never actually were one. I don't think he was intentionally driving Paige to the new girl - seemed to me they weren't sure if they wanted the tail in the first place, or that they'd know who he/she is

Well it seems that Paige's new found friend is a Christian to her parents dismay.
Young C likes this.
post #814 of 1082 Old 03-20-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post

Well it seems that Paige's new found friend is a Christian to her parents dismay.

Not so much Christian, more of a cult. Remember the Moonies? A part of 80's life I had forgotten about, all the religious cults that sprung up. Clever of the writers to go there.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #815 of 1082 Old 03-20-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

It also appears Phillip is in deep doo-doo, with Martha documenting their marriage. Her chances of surviving the season are looking slim to none, me thinks.

post #816 of 1082 Old 03-20-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I particularly enjoyed the DVR cutting off the pivotal last minutes. Luckily I noticed in time to catch the later rerun. My guide data has been seriously lacking this week.

post #817 of 1082 Old 03-20-2014, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My instinct was that Elizabeth's reluctance with Brett in the hotel room was a clever ploy to play on his inexperience, gain his sympathies, and draw him in (and the recounting of the rape added to that as well). However, she does seem to show some true fragility as well (as granny noted). Maybe both factors are at play in her approach to Brett. It's a bit odd though, as she seems well composed in other scenes.

The fight with the unknown couple at the end was good, maybe a shade below other fight choreography we've seen. I was a bit disappointed it took so long for Phillip to dispatch his opponent. I think next week's previews may have given away the unknown couple's identity. If true, it's an interesting twist and direction.
Young C likes this.
post #818 of 1082 Old 03-20-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I particularly enjoyed the DVR cutting off the pivotal last minutes. Luckily I noticed in time to catch the later rerun. My guide data has been seriously lacking this week.

Yeah that was nice. mad.gif Its funny, other shows run over, sometimes as much as 15 minutes, and the dvr always catches it...but not The Americans for some reason. FX giving out faulty info to the guides?

post #819 of 1082 Old 03-20-2014, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I think this episode finally crystallised my dissatisfaction with this season: it's lost the focus of the first one. The challenges Philip and Elizabeth face are (or at least were) the driving force of the show, and I really don't care about the office drama in the rezidentura. Trying to promote second-tier players (e.g. Nina and Martha) to regulars and moving the show into a more ensemble-esque direction is a mistake that's marring the experience, at least for me.

I'm also betting that Martha's going to be dispatched soon now that she's about to expose Philip, but I assume her actions are going to accelerate his timetable. I thought he deliberately provoked the argument as a prelude to divorcing her (since she's apparently served her purpose), but he may need to take more drastic actions soon if word of her marriage to a fictional agent gets out.
post #820 of 1082 Old 03-20-2014, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Not so much Christian, more of a cult. Remember the Moonies? A part of 80's life I had forgotten about, all the religious cults that sprung up. Clever of the writers to go there.

Remember, to our favorite Russians, Christianity IS a cult.
BTW, remember Jesus Freaks? (Sixties, I know)
Young C likes this.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #821 of 1082 Old 03-21-2014, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Yeah that was nice. mad.gif Its funny, other shows run over, sometimes as much as 15 minutes, and the dvr always catches it...but not The Americans for some reason. FX giving out faulty info to the guides?

I always set my DVR to add 5 minutes at the end of every show. The only time I miss the ending of a show is if a football game preceded it and ran into overtime.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #822 of 1082 Old 03-21-2014, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

Quote:

My U-Verse DVR was right on the money. I never have a problem except on nights when sporting events run long, so I'm able to adjust it manually.
post #823 of 1082 Old 03-21-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Nina was furious that Stan not only killed Vlad but also lied to her about it, so I have no doubt that her loyalties lie with her own people and not with him.

Nina still wants to get out and stay in the US. Stan is her only hope and she knows he needs intel to make it happen, no matter what she thinks of him killing Vlad. With the double agent scenario, she has just bought herself time with the Soviets to try and make that happen. It is up to the writers if they want that to happen or not.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #824 of 1082 Old 03-21-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

Nina still wants to get out and stay in the US. Stan is her only hope and she knows he needs intel to make it happen, no matter what she thinks of him killing Vlad. With the double agent scenario, she has just bought herself time with the Soviets to try and make that happen. It is up to the writers if they want that to happen or not.
the writers are leaving nina's fate wide open. if the new guy (i think his name is oleg) finds out about the circumstances surrounding her becoming a double agent, she may indeed be forced to side with stan. the fact that the director of the rezidentura made a point about NOT revealing it makes me think it will come out.
Young C likes this.
post #825 of 1082 Old 03-21-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

I have some confidence that Nina is going to find a way to get what she wants. Not only is she beautiful and sexy, she is also very, very smart.
post #826 of 1082 Old 03-22-2014, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Here is an interesting article in Esquire about the set designs for the show.

How The Americans Designs Its '80s Spy Sets

By Mike Ayers on March 20, 2014

During the new season of The Americans, we're looking at the show's use of espionage tactics and getting behind-the-scenes accounts from the creators, directors, make-up artists, actors, and even former spies to help analyze what's under the hood. This week's episode of season two, "A Little Night Music," featured a hefty amount of different scenes — ten exterior and nine interior — making it one of the more challenging shoots to date. We spoke to set decorator Andrew Baseman, who broke down five ways the show's look and design factor into espionage plots.

1. Hone in on the mundane.

"You don't want to blow their cover, so I'll decorate a set as if an average person is living there," Baseman says. "I can't give it away by showing anything other than what a regular person would have. For example, when you go in to the Jennings home, and you're in the laundry room, there's a panel that has all their spy gear and weapons. The audience will see everything once they go there, once they start gathering their props. Last week, there was a scene where Paige goes to see her aunt, one of the KGB members. That place was dressed to look like an elderly aunt's home in 1982, so nothing would give it away."

Laundry room. (Set photos by Andrew Baseman)

2. Objects, like people, have personality traits.

"It's really easy to be generic and just throw things on a set," he says. "I like to show character. Most of the time, it's not written in the script. Like for a recurring character, it won't say 'on his desk is a bottle and a lighthouse lamp' — none of that's there. Martha is very optimistic: shiny surfaces, more modern things. She wants to settle down, but she's almost like Mary Tyler Moore, being single, being spunky. I hope that her interior reflects her personality."

Martha's apartment.

3. Location shoots are critical for spy scenes.

"A lot of the locations depend on what else is around there," he says. "If we found the perfect record store in Manhattan but there's nothing else in the area, we couldn't shoot there. We typically shoot three to four locations a day. You can't just move all the equipment and the trucks and the actors very easily each time. Scenes need to be grouped together. So the record store scene from 'A Little Night Music' was actually shot not far from our office in Brooklyn. We found a music store that already had instruments and pieces we could use, but I'd say we removed 80 percent of what was there."

4. Tracking the KGB can be done only by true patriots.

"Some of the look is left over from the '70s and the Bicentennial," he says. "For [FBI agent] Stan Beeman, I like to use white and gold and dual tones. The mugs they'll use will have eagles on them, they'll have other flag motifs throughout the house. Any character from the period could have something from the Bicentennial, but someone from the FBI would have those elements of Americana."

5. Surburbia: an unlikely source of inspiration.

"It's a bit of a challenge in New York because we have a few prop houses, and the prop houses don't have a lot of items from the '70s and '80s," he says. "People think a period movie or show should reflect the period that it's in, but interiors would be things going back 10, 15, 20 years. And if the characters are older, even older than that. I use lots of '60s, '70s, and early '80s items in the homes depending on the wealth of the character. Other factors will dictate how we finish showing the items. That said, a lot of prop houses don't have a lot of '80s. It's not old enough to be collectable and not new enough to fit. It's that no man's land. I end up getting things at thrift shops. I go to New Jersey for that. I go out to Long Island. Just out to suburbia and comb the thrift shops."

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/the-americans-recap-sets

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #827 of 1082 Old 03-24-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 50
MARGO MARTINDALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I believe she's still a recurring character and is slated to be back this season in a limited role. Perhaps as early as next week.

You called it! When Mama Miller came on the screen, I became giddy as a school girl.biggrin.gif

Interesting turn of events with the protagonists losing their mark.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #828 of 1082 Old 03-27-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Neat how they are playing Stan...My question: is the new operative working on his own or is he part of the master plan?

post #829 of 1082 Old 03-27-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I am having a difficult time tying to understand what Oleg meant at the end.

So is Nina not officially a double agent? I thought all this time she was under orders to be a double agent and that her reports contain all her activities, including the information she is feeding Stan to gain his trust. Oleg seems to be implying that Arkady is the only person who knows she is being an intentional informant in order to turn Stan and that Nina is still being a traitor.

The only information I thought was being held back was that she made contact with Stan by being a traitor initially, but everything since then has been on the record.

post #830 of 1082 Old 03-27-2014, 12:02 PM

Could be wrong, but my take on it is that Oleg is scheming for his own purposes. There's a hierarchy:
Arkady knows Nina's whole story of being the intentional informant and double agent.
Oleg knows only that Nina is a double agent.
Stan knows only that Nina is working for him. He doesn't know she's a double.

Oleg is purposely deceiving Stan into thinking that he, and he alone, has discovered Nina's secret of being Stan's agent. If not for the fact that Nina was a double, this would normally put her in great danger, which is why Stan' is mortified. So, Oleg now has leverage on Stan by posing as the only person who knows Nina's secret. He can ensure Nina's safety for a price.

My question would be, wouldn't Stan now just tell Nina that she's in danger (although we know she's not), and try to bring her in to save her? Not sure that is what Oleg wants. I too feel like I'm missing a puzzle piece here.
post #831 of 1082 Old 03-27-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

I am having a difficult time tying to understand what Oleg meant at the end.

So is Nina not officially a double agent? I thought all this time she was under orders to be a double agent and that her reports contain all her activities, including the information she is feeding Stan to gain his trust. Oleg seems to be implying that Arkady is the only person who knows she is being an intentional informant in order to turn Stan and that Nina is still being a traitor.

The only information I thought was being held back was that she made contact with Stan by being a traitor initially, but everything since then has been on the record.

I took it to be that he was telling Stan that he knew Nina was a traitor and that he was going to "hurt" her unless Stan starts to provide them with information.
post #832 of 1082 Old 03-27-2014, 12:18 PM

It's possible that Oleg figured out all of it. But I just didn't see that there was enough info for him to make that leap.
post #833 of 1082 Old 03-27-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Quote:
My question would be, wouldn't Stan now just tell Nina that she's in danger (although we know she's not), and try to bring her in to save her? Not sure that is what Oleg wants. I too feel like I'm missing a puzzle piece here.

Oleg wants a piece of Nina, that's what he really wants. wink.gif

He's still feeling rejected from the hockey game invitation.

Afro GT
post #834 of 1082 Old 03-27-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Thought this week's episode of The Americans was brilliantly done. Philip and Elizabeth have nasty, dirty jobs and they pay for it emotionally. It appears to me than long tall Oleg is playing a remarkably dangerous game. I accept that he wants to get into Nina's pants but confronting Stan, an American FBI agent, seemed reckless, despite Stan being in the midst of an affair with an employee of the Soviet NY Rezidentura. Something tells me that Oleg's oversized cojones, oversized in more ways than one, are leading him into deep trouble. He should understand that there is a reason his boss, a longtime expert in Soviet politics, adheres to bureaucrat niceties
post #835 of 1082 Old 03-27-2014, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
That was a fantastic episode. Talk about paying a heavy emotional price for your work... I think this assignment got to Philip more than the others we've seen.

Regarding Nina's status, I thought the point was that she isn't supposed to be a double agent, i.e. she wasn't approved for that mission by the higher-ups. I got the impression that if Arkady had strictly followed protocol, Nina should have been shipped off to answer for her crimes, but instead she was able to convince him that she could be a double agent after confessing what she'd done. Oleg may not know everything, but I think he knows enough to suspect that if everyone knew Nina had been a traitor, Arkady wouldn't be able to protect her anymore, and both of them might lose their heads, thus giving Oleg a promotion. He will probably play that card by the end of the season, but he wants to see what he can coerce Stan into doing for Nina's sake first.
post #836 of 1082 Old 03-28-2014, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 35
This show is so good, and this story-line this week (as well as what led up to it), are top-notch spy-gasm stuff. I really enjoy the longer drawn out stories that require investment to get into. They are SO much more rewarding when payday comes! Unfortunately that isn't exactly the trend TV companies go for when it doesn't result in huge ratings each week. I really hope FX does what they usually do and continue to put on a phenomenal show that is as high-quality content-wise as anything out there.

I get that it's not great for the Twitter/Vine/etc. crowd who is into instant gratification. But that doesn't mean it isn't worth supporting and funding. I mean come on, most of us on here are rooting for two Ruskies to 'win' somehow! That HAS to be proof in the quality of the show!

Big Dumb Mammal
post #837 of 1082 Old 03-28-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

this oleg character is interesting. they obviously want to portray him as clever and a bit brash. i enjoyed the scene where the fbi guys were trailing oleg with a tag team. i was thinking the whole time 'that's the way to tail a guy without him knowing'. but oleg detected it anyway. as it turned out, he apparently wanted a "meeting" with stan. my only qualm with that scene was how could oleg know that stan would be the last guy on the tail? was he just lucky? or is it just one of those things that's "in the script"...
post #838 of 1082 Old 03-28-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

this oleg character is interesting. they obviously want to portray him as clever and a bit brash. i enjoyed the scene where the fbi guys were trailing oleg with a tag team. i was thinking the whole time 'that's the way to tail a guy without him knowing'. but oleg detected it anyway. as it turned out, he apparently wanted a "meeting" with stan. my only qualm with that scene was how could oleg know that stan would be the last guy on the tail? was he just lucky? or is it just one of those things that's "in the script"...

Makes you wonder if he's in cahoots with Nina and/or Arkady because Stan decided to tail Oleg after Nina told him about Oleg.

Arkady either underestimated him or is putting on a front, working with him, when he tries to brush him off, yell at him for knocking at the radio room. Initially Arkady says Oleg got this posting because of nepotism. But obviously Oleg is more crafty than Arkady may think he is.

Also, Arkady tells Oleg he can't go out to the exfiltration of the scientist because FBI would know Oleg and tail him, which could lead the FBI to the Directorate S agents. So Oleg seems to use this info to lead the FBI, knowing they'd be following them to the port.

Then Oleg tells Nina that Arkady thinks too much like bureaucrat and Nina tells Stan that Arkady thinks Oleg is cocky and reckless.

So there are either conversations that aren't shown on screen or the characters are changing the story.
post #839 of 1082 Old 03-30-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Makes you wonder if he's in cahoots with Nina and/or Arkady because Stan decided to tail Oleg after Nina told him about Oleg.

Arkady either underestimated him or is putting on a front, working with him, when he tries to brush him off, yell at him for knocking at the radio room. Initially Arkady says Oleg got this posting because of nepotism. But obviously Oleg is more crafty than Arkady may think he is.

Also, Arkady tells Oleg he can't go out to the exfiltration of the scientist because FBI would know Oleg and tail him, which could lead the FBI to the Directorate S agents. So Oleg seems to use this info to lead the FBI, knowing they'd be following them to the port.

Then Oleg tells Nina that Arkady thinks too much like bureaucrat and Nina tells Stan that Arkady thinks Oleg is cocky and reckless.

So there are either conversations that aren't shown on screen or the characters are changing the story.

Oleg seems to have his own agenda. But the way he's trying to turn Stan seems to agree with what Arkady was planning to do, so I'm also unsure if he's acting alone or working together...Since Oleg and Arkady seem to detest each other its hard to see them working as a team?

post #840 of 1082 Old 03-30-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

That was a fantastic episode. Talk about paying a heavy emotional price for your work... I think this assignment got to Philip more than the others we've seen.

Regarding Nina's status, I thought the point was that she isn't supposed to be a double agent, i.e. she wasn't approved for that mission by the higher-ups. I got the impression that if Arkady had strictly followed protocol, Nina should have been shipped off to answer for her crimes, but instead she was able to convince him that she could be a double agent after confessing what she'd done. Oleg may not know everything, but I think he knows enough to suspect that if everyone knew Nina had been a traitor, Arkady wouldn't be able to protect her anymore, and both of them might lose their heads, thus giving Oleg a promotion. He will probably play that card by the end of the season, but he wants to see what he can coerce Stan into doing for Nina's sake first.

That's exactly how I saw it. Oleg sees an opportunity to bag a really big fish - turning the FBI's lead counterintelligence agent into a double. What's more impressive is his using the ol' "HoneyPot" trick without the HoneyPot even knowing about it. Oleg is clearly operating on another level from Arkady. It's also a very dangerous one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

That's right. Oleg knows Stan will be following him since Stan is the FBI's lead guy. He takes the opportunity to both confront Stan with the intention trying to use his love for Nina to turn him, and lead the FBI away from the exfiltration. Pretty brilliant stuff. Oleg is clearly a force to be reckoned with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 

I don't see the conflict. Both of those situations you mentioned are entirely possible within the framework the plotline has set up. Oleg is a new breed of Soviet operative. He knows they have to get better at the game to beat the Americans.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page