'The Americans' on FX HD - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-24-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 560
I watched this week's episode of The Americans last night and found it as compelling as ever. It was as darkly disturbing and just plain sad as anything I have seen on TV. Phillip and Elizabeth may regard themselves as soldiers and the violence they do as warfare but to me the killings they commit are just bloody murder. At least Phillip had the sensitivity to feel bad for cutting the throat of the boy who happened on to Phillip on the Army base.

What was the story with the truck driver Phillip and Elizabeth left tied up before they stole his truck? He was alive when they left but dead when they came back. I can't figure it out.

I had the idea that the preacher intuited just how dangerous Phillip was when Phillip made the late night call on the preacher but I'm glad he did. At least Phillip didn't kill him.
BoilerJim likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I watched this week's episode of The Americans last night and found it as compelling as ever. It was as darkly disturbing and just plain sad as anything I have seen on TV. Phillip and Elizabeth may regard themselves as soldiers and the violence they do as warfare but to me the killings they commit are just bloody murder. At least Phillip had the sensitivity to feel bad for cutting the throat of the boy who happened on to Phillip on the Army base.

What was the story with the truck driver Phillip and Elizabeth left tied up before they stole his truck? He was alive when they left but dead when they came back. I can't figure it out.

I had the idea that the preacher intuited just how dangerous Phillip was when Phillip made the late night call on the preacher but I'm glad he did. At least Phillip didn't kill him.

I didn't get the reason the driver was dead either, glad it wasn't just me. Did Elizabeth do it? I like how they aren't pulling any punches with our two spies. After getting us on their side last season, this year the show has shown just how coldblooded and ruthless they can be. Somehow, Phillip and Elizabeth have grown both less likeable and more sympathetic at the same time, how'd they do that? smile.gif I was holding my breath when Phillip slipped on the gloves before seeing the preacher, it sure seemed like he was going into killer mode. Again, the conflict the writers gave us-Phillip seems both in rigid control of himself but also sorta a loose cannon-its hard to predict what he will do next. And the way their personal life is collapsing, with the FBI guy's life also falling apart...this show takes no prisoners, one of the most daring ever on tv I think. I'm in awe of the writers and the risks they take..

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
Old 04-24-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I think Elizabeth must have killed the driver. Didn't she lag behind Phillip when they were going to the truck? Also, when I saw Phillip pull on the gloves and enter the church, I first thought he was going to vandalize the church like he "vandalized" the Bible. Then, when he saw the preacher, I thought, "Oh, sh*t!" I'm just glad he didn't kill the preacher. I keep hoping Phillip and Elizabeth will become true Americans, but after last night I really have my doubts.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
That was a great episode. I saw Oliver North was a co-writer at the beginning. Looking it up I read where he provided so much color and depth to the writers, they gave him that credit.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
About the most depressing episode of tv I can remember in a good while
Old 04-24-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonesCat View Post

That was a great episode. I saw Oliver North was a co-writer at the beginning. Looking it up I read where he provided so much color and depth to the writers, they gave him that credit.

I saw that too and meant to look it up after the show. Course I forgot all about it.smile.gif Thanks for the info.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 722
The gravity of what they do is clearly starting to affect Philip. He's having a harder and harder time dealing with all of it, including the hypocrisy of how they have to lie to their children even while insisting on reciprocal honesty. Even when he tries to bend the rules in a more merciful fashion, as with the truck driver, it still goes wrong. Elizabeth has her unshakable devotion to her cause to keep her "grounded". Philip's ties to the Motherland are more tenuous, his temptations are greater (loved how he just couldn't say "no" to the Z-28), and his conscious more troublesome.

Count me in the group who wondered what happened to the sanitation guy. Elizabeth could have killed him (but not without Philip knowing), but her expression when they found him indicated she was as surprised as Philip. Mrs. Archi's and my first thought was the guy was so terrified he just had a heart attack and quietly died there. They literally scared him to death. Remember how frightened some other innocents were who ran up against them, like the warehouse guy with the anti-cavitation propeller? Occam's Razor.
slowbiscuit likes this.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

. Philip's ties to the Motherland are more tenuous, his temptations are greater (loved how he just couldn't say "no" to the Z-28), and his conscious more troublesome.

That reminded me of a scene I loved: After learning of the death of 160 sailors because of the fake plans, Phillip looking at the car as if wondering if he'd been seduced, the conflict he was feeling clearly written on his face. A lesser show might have spent a whole episode dealing with the emotions captured in that one look.

And then we learn the deaths were caused more by Soviet incompetence than the plans themselves, adding a delicious irony to the whole situation. Great writing.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
This show is another one that I wished I hadn't started from the first episode. I have enough rubber necking in my life. There's no way this show is based on fact, spying is boring and they create drama for us to continue watching.

These are just my opinions.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

This show is another one that I wished I hadn't started from the first episode. I have enough rubber necking in my life. There's no way this show is based on fact, spying is boring and they create drama for us to continue watching.

And you know this because... you're a spy? tongue.gif

The very nature of espionage is that the vast majority of it never makes the evening news. We never hear about it; that's the point. We base our knowledge of the spy trade mostly on the fertile imagination of authors and screenwriters.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

Um, that's why its called fiction. smile.gif

Old 04-25-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

And then we learn the deaths were caused more by Soviet incompetence than the plans themselves, adding a delicious irony to the whole situation. Great writing.

Yeah, that's what I got out of it. Some of the Soviets overestimate American counterespionage and military prowness -- the "fake" steath designs planted just so they could be stolen, yeah, right -- and some, like Oleg, are far more realistic about both American and Soviet capabilities.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, that's what I got out of it. Some of the Soviets overestimate American counterespionage and military prowness -- the "fake" steath designs planted just so they could be stolen, yeah, right -- and some, like Oleg, are far more realistic about both American and Soviet capabilities.

I've always loved Len Deighton's writing, and this show reminds me a lot of his work. One of his themes: Most of his spys think they are working for idiots.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Count me in the group who wondered what happened to the sanitation guy. Elizabeth could have killed him (but not without Philip knowing), but her expression when they found him indicated she was as surprised as Philip. Mrs. Archi's and my first thought was the guy was so terrified he just had a heart attack and quietly died there. They literally scared him to death. Remember how frightened some other innocents were who ran up against them, like the warehouse guy with the anti-cavitation propeller? Occam's Razor.

Isn't it possible he just died of exposure? It is winter isn't it?
Old 04-25-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

Was thinking the same thing..

Phillip and Elizabeth are becoming less and less likable and more brutal every episode.... something's gotta give sooner or later. Who's gonna crack first?

I liked how the preacher didn't back down and realized Phillip's problem wasn't over the $600 donation his daughter made.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
Old 04-25-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

That was my guess as well.

John
Old 04-25-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

that's what i thought
Old 04-25-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

He was bundled up pretty good, even had a knit cap on, and I don't remember even seeing their breath. Wasn't that cold. I doubt it was exposure. I'm sticking with heart attack.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

He was bundled up pretty good, even had a knit cap on, and I don't remember even seeing their breath. Wasn't that cold. I doubt it was exposure. I'm sticking with heart attack.

For a second I was thinking it could have been a (big) animal. After all he was incapacitated and easy prey (what a way to go!). But no sign of any marks. Heart attack works, given how scared he seemed.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 436
That was a heavy episode and certainly among the series' best thus far. I, too, thought Philip was going to burn down the church or otherwise damage it when he slipped on his gloves, and then I was on the edge of my seat during his conversation with the pastor. This season has really come together.

I'm not sure whether the trucker died from exposure or a heart attack, but I'm more inclined to believe it was a heart attack, judging by how terrified he was in the last episode. Elizabeth was as shocked as Philip when they found him, so I'm sure it wasn't her.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:

As someone who used to do a lot of cold weather camping, a blanket and a hat is little defense for sitting still on the cold ground without a source of heat and without food to fuel the body's furnace.

He spent hours out there like that. It's likely hypothermia set in and a simply fell asleep and didn't wake up again.

People can die of exposure in 40-50 degree weather, which wouldn't be cold enough to see your breath.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I don't think how the truck driver died was important to the writers; it was probably exposure. The impact that his death would have had on Phillip especially was the important thing, how he tried to do the right thing and ended up causing the man to have a slow death rather than a merciful quick killing by bullet.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron View Post

I don't think how the truck driver died was important to the writers; it was probably exposure. The impact that his death would have had on Phillip especially was the important thing, how he tried to do the right thing and ended up causing the man to have a slow death rather than a merciful quick killing by bullet.

I agree. The important thing is it added to the guilt he was already feeling about doing his job.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalav View Post

For a second I was thinking it could have been a (big) animal. After all he was incapacitated and easy prey (what a way to go!). But no sign of any marks. Heart attack works, given how scared he seemed.

Resembled the Pine Barrens. Perhaps Christopher and Paulie offed him for his shoes. tongue.gif
Old 04-30-2014, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just watched the episode with the worker whose truck they took. You could see their breath very plainly so it was pretty cold. Plus, it seems to me he was there for what seemed like 18 to 24 hours. They left him, did their job at the camp that night, and came back late the next day. Seems like death from exposure to me.

When this baby hits 88 miles per hour.......you're gonna see some serious $#!+
Old 05-01-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Another good episode. I like the tight rope they're walking, making Phillip and Elizabeth easy to identify with even as they grow more ruthless in doing their jobs. Torn between wanting them to get away with it while at the same time wanting them to get their just desserts. Good and evil are hard to define on this show, there really are no heroes...much like it must be for real spys, I'm thinking.

With all the perils gathering around Phillip and Liz I just hope the show doesn't paint itself into a corner, giving us a far fetched explaination for their survival . Justified gets away with that every season, but that's part of its charm. For The Americans to work their must be some semblance of reality, or its just another Homeland. Still, its great storytelling, and the acting is first rate.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Where'd everybody go? smile.gif

Old 05-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Where'd everybody go? smile.gif

They all went to the Agents of Shield forum.biggrin.gif
Old 05-02-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post

They all went to the Agents of Shield forum.biggrin.gif

Hail Hydra!

I wait to tonight or Sat morning to watch this now. I want to be alert and not miss a thing.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I'm really enjoying this show. I know the writers are trying to throw in all sorts of scenarios so it's not just spy stuff, but I wish they'd cut out the kids issues. Paige is getting on my nerves. First it was her snooping around and now it's the religion thing. Blah!

The noose certainly seems to be tightening around P & E. Psycho Navy guy is on the trail of their handler and FBI Stan is getting warm with the son of the slain agents. Then poor Stan is also in waaaay over his head. I do hope there is some closure with most of these threads this season and not just left as cliffhangers for next season.

PS I never really liked Richard Thomas as an actor but he is really good in his role as Gaad.