Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
post #1111 of 1119 Old Today, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 701
It was funny as I was watching the show, I was thinking it reminded me of Rubicon and how it can be a "slow burn" sometimes. Then boom Frank Langella pops on the screen....

Sent from nowhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1119 Old Today, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post
Did I miss where the blonde that was choked was in last season? Maybe she wasn't.
Her name is Annelise. She's been in a few episodes now. She was one of Philip's informants. To her he's a Swedish intelligence operative. I think she was married to the undersecretary of defense and they used her relationship to photograph Casper Weinberger's office so they could replace his clock with the bugged one back in season one. She showed up again later when Philip used her to get close to the guy who eventually murdered her. He was some sort of Pakistani intelligence operative. I remember she was excited going in. She was sort of a bored housewife and Philip was giving her the chance to do some "good" by becoming a spy. Then she became upset when she realized she had to use her body. Then apparently she felt better about that and actually fell in love with the "mark".

What I found chilling about the events was that it almost seemed like Philip was intentionally trying to time his entry into the room so that she would be dead by the time he got there and he would have the leverage over the Pakistani agent that he needed to get whatever it is he wants out of him. I might be reading more into than there was but it's hard sometimes to forget that the "heros" of the show are really cold-blooded operatives at heart and they'll do whatever needs to be done to accomplish their objectives.

I've enjoyed this series immensely from the beginning and I'm looking forward to this season.
post #1113 of 1119 Old Today, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rainville View Post
What I found chilling about the events was that it almost seemed like Philip was intentionally trying to time his entry into the room so that she would be dead by the time he got there and he would have the leverage over the Pakistani agent that he needed to get whatever it is he wants out of him.
Thought exactly the same thing... "Oh... what have you done!" then right away "I can help make this go away"...
If that was Elizabeth in there he would have busted the door down in a heartbeat. I think Philip realized Annelise had fallen for her mark and that he knew what had to be done sooner or later. This time someone did the dirty work for him.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #1114 of 1119 Unread Today, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 506
I had an even simpler reaction to why Elizabeth didn't shoot Gaad: right before she hit him, she looked over her shoulder at the approaching sirens and chose to hit him, simply because it was the quietest course of action. She couldn't have gotten away on foot if the police had heard the gunshot and thus knew that the assailant was still in the vicinity. I think if the police hadn't been so close, she absolutely would have shot him. It was a compromise made in the name of self preservation. The approaching sirens also explained why she didn't have enough time to keep looking for the list after she dropped it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rainville View Post
What I found chilling about the events was that it almost seemed like Philip was intentionally trying to time his entry into the room so that she would be dead by the time he got there and he would have the leverage over the Pakistani agent that he needed to get whatever it is he wants out of him.
I think he absolutely was timing his entrance to get leverage, and I'm tempted to say he took it even further: he might also have had sex with her specifically because he knew it would make her guilty enough to confess and that her mark would then kill her. I think that's taking it a bit too far, though, because it looked more like Philip was listening to see if she was going to cave in, in which case he would probably have had to kill them himself. The fact that her mark killed her instead simply gave him an opportunity, which he realised as soon as he heard the confession turning into a murder on the other side of the wall.
post #1115 of 1119 Unread Today, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 798
My take from the scene with Philip in the adjoining room was that when things got quiet he was desperately trying hear something - that was clear. When he heard the lamp crash to the floor, that's when he was finally sure something was amiss and rushed in. The fact that he was a few moments too late does not indicate he was trying to get the girl killed. That attributes motives to Philip that he has never remotely exhibited in this show to date. He's absolutely not that guy, and when someone has died at his hand, it's been because there was simply no other alternative. And he doesn't deal with it nearly as efficiently as his wife.

But if the girl was already dead, then it becomes damage control. He has to deal with it the best way he can to keep things from spinning completely out of control. He's a pro; that's what they do.
VisionOn likes this.
post #1116 of 1119 Unread Today, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
But he didn't rush in the room. He was walking from the room next door at a slow, deliberate pace, he slowly walked into the bedroom. There was no rush by him to get in there and interfere. She knew he was listening too because she tried to say it to the guy in such a hushed tone to not be heard. In the end Philip acted shocked that he had killed her but really she was insignificant collateral damage to his real goal with that guy.
post #1117 of 1119 Unread Today, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post
But he didn't rush in the room. He was walking from the room next door at a slow, deliberate pace, he slowly walked into the bedroom. There was no rush by him to get in there and interfere. She knew he was listening too because she tried to say it to the guy in such a hushed tone to not be heard. In the end Philip acted shocked that he had killed her but really she was insignificant collateral damage to his real goal with that guy.
Rushing down a corridor in a public place towards a possible murder scene is not advisable for a foreign spy. Neither is busting in on the room when he wasn't sure what was happening. If she wasn't being murdered and they were just getting really vigorous in bed Philip would have blown her cover or worse he could have busted in on people he didn't know were there and got killed himself.

Philip isn't a cop or a US agent so every action has to be measured with consideration. He can't risk attention.

As Archiguy said, Philip isn't one to sacrifice anyone so lightly but he does know when to improvise. Spooking the guy would either blow Philip's cover with more attention, get Philip killed or cause more death.

post #1118 of 1119 Unread Today, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The arc that intrigues me is the centre insisting on recruiting their children. Elizabeth and Philip are definitely at odds on what to do about Paige.
post #1119 of 1119 Unread Today, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
That one is not going to end anytime soon either. I would expect it to go on all season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page