post #91 of 1060 Old 02-08-2013, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 72
FX’s ‘The Americans’ Ratings Plummet In Second Week
By DOMINIC PATTEN /deadline.com /Thursday February 7, 2013 @ 1:55pm PST

After coming out strong, FX’s new series The Americans suffered a harsh ratings body blow last night. The Eighties-era spy series was down almost 40% Wednesday from its premiere a week ago. The one-hour episode of The Americans fell from 3.22 million overall viewers watching its nearly two hour debut on January 30 to just 1.97 million last night. That’s a drop of 39% from week one to two. Far more than the 23% decline that American Horror Story had the second week of its first season on FX on October 12, 2011. The decline among Adults 18-49 for week two of The Americans was only slightly less harsh. The series fell 32% in the key demo from 1.57 million to 1.07 million. On the other hand, last night’s Americans increased its total viewership 67% from the previous half hour of its movie lead-in of Tron: Legacy. The movie’s overall viewership was also basically half of the previous week’s lead-in of the Tom Cruise movie Knight And Day. The premiere of The Americans, starring Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell as two sleeper KGB spies living in suburban Washington D.C., had bested the debuts of American Horror Story and Sons Of Anarchy.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/tv-ratings-fx-the-americans-down-second-week-keri-russell-american-horror-story/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1060 Old 02-08-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 596
^^^ Why am I not surprised? rolleyes.gif
post #93 of 1060 Old 02-08-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Guess they need to have Keri Russell drop her top a few times in the first couple of episodes like Morena Baccarin did in Homeland to keep the viewers interested...rolleyes.gif

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #94 of 1060 Old 02-08-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
When you add in its DVR numbers it held its viewers though. So many people watched the pilot live then added it to their DVR for time shifting.
post #95 of 1060 Old 02-08-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Interesting that the blond girl spying for Philip, whom he described as unbalanced, is kind of going off the reservation. Philip clearly doesn't want to cheat on Elizabeth or indulge this girl's fantasies, but he has to. She's going to be big trouble down the line.

I honestly wasn't expecting her to make it out of the car alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron View Post

Well to get off the caviar discussion for a second...

There's an interesting dilemma with this show that I really felt in watching the second episode, in that: You find yourself rooting for this couple to successfully sabotage American interests. So, I think they're going to have to limit the scope, and the ramifications, of the operations they carry out, so you can root for them to complete their mission without feeling too guilty about it.

I look at it a different way. The conflict/inner struggle they are facing with their mission is wonderfully constructed. And I think, if we root in any way for them, it's to hope (however vainly) that they eventually end up choosing their family over the "mother land."
post #96 of 1060 Old 02-08-2013, 10:06 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Honestly, I'm not too surprised. The show has fallen into the same dilemma as other shows with what I consider to be an interesting story line. The writers are faced with stretching out episodes and as a result, individual episodes seem to drag by. I like the show and am relatively ok with the pace, but I think today's audience wants to see a faster pace. Looking back on the last episode, it was essentially an hour long portrayal of getting a bug installed. Just my opinion, but shows like 24 and Lost at their peaks got around this by dropping bombs (so to speak) that kept our interest as well as weaving between several story lines. That just seems to be the formula that works these days. I personally don't like shows where they cut in and out of story lines, but The Americans basically show 2 main story lines - the struggles of the couple and the progress of the FBI.

My hope is that the series doesn't get cancelled but we'll see.

T
post #97 of 1060 Old 02-08-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

I am amazed at how quickly I came to really love this show. I know we're only two episodes into the season, but I think it's a definite keeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

2 episodes in and I like it a lot. That means it's getting cancelled.

I love The Americans too. The first two episodes each passed in the twinkling of an eye. The danger for The Americans, I think, is that, like Rubicon before it, it may be too smart for its own good. The writers actually take the time to tell an intricate story and, gasp, expect its audience to think a little bit.
post #98 of 1060 Old 02-08-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I think I'll be dropping it myself. The writers seem to be emphatic about trying to create empathetic lead characters, and, to me, it hurts the show. I don't need to relate to these people, so stop trying to humanize them. The pedophile in the pilot in particular was blatantly so in-your-face with the concept that they almost broke the fourth wall with that scene. I wanted to like this show, but it's not quite what I thought it would be. At least I don't have to worry about any potential DVR conflicts with Southland now. tongue.gif
post #99 of 1060 Old 02-08-2013, 01:54 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I love The Americans too. The first two episodes each passed in the twinkling of an eye. The danger for The Americans, I think, is that, like Rubicon before it, it may be too smart for its own good. The writers actually take the time to tell an intricate story and, gasp, expect its audience to think a little bit.

Yeah, you don't hear "critically acclaimed drama" and "high ratings" in the same sentence anymore, sadly, on cable or broadcast TV. Even the good cable shows that have survived have done so with kind executives, or increasing ratings after a couple seasons, Walking Dead excluded.
post #100 of 1060 Old 02-08-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I don't think it's nearly as smart as Rubicon, and that was my initial complaint. I expected it to be, or at least hoped. But the second episode, IMO, was much better than the first. I love the premise, there's already been some wonderful character development, and the time period definitely brings back memories. And, just technically, that fight scene between Phillip and the kid's uncle was one of the best staged fights I've seen on TV in a while. Hopefully word of mouth will keep this afloat.
post #101 of 1060 Old 02-08-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

I don't think it's nearly as smart as Rubicon, and that was my initial complaint. I expected it to be, or at least hoped. But the second episode, IMO, was much better than the first. I love the premise, there's already been some wonderful character development, and the time period definitely brings back memories. And, just technically, that fight scene between Phillip and the kid's uncle was one of the best staged fights I've seen on TV in a while. Hopefully word of mouth will keep this afloat.

The fight scenes are extraordinarily well choreographed, among the best I've seen on TV or in the movies. Maybe only exceeded by the fifth episode of 'Charlie Jade', which had an unbelievably tense bathroom fight scene in which star Jeffrey Pierce actually broke his arm! To this day I've never seen anything quite like it. But this show goes the extra yard; really good stuff.
post #102 of 1060 Old 02-09-2013, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The fight scenes are extraordinarily well choreographed, among the best I've seen on TV or in the movies. Maybe only exceeded by the fifth episode of 'Charlie Jade', which had an unbelievably tense bathroom fight scene in which star Jeffrey Pierce actually broke his arm! To this day I've never seen anything quite like it. But this show goes the extra yard; really good stuff.
I didn't think that fight scene was that good. O_o This is a bit OT but, if you haven't already, you may want to check out some films like The Raid: Redemption, Ip Man, Chocolate or Ong Bak (stay far away from the sequels). The Raid has one of the best fight scenes I've ever seen...
post #103 of 1060 Old 02-09-2013, 04:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

I didn't think that fight scene was that good. O_o This is a bit OT but, if you haven't already, you may want to check out some films like The Raid: Redemption, Ip Man, Chocolate or Ong Bak (stay far away from the sequels). The Raid has one of the best fight scenes I've ever seen...

This one was pretty harrowing, but I'm thinking more of the fight scenes in the pilot I guess. Thought they were especially well done for TV.
post #104 of 1060 Old 02-09-2013, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

I watched The Raid: Redemption for the first time the other week. Good movie, indeed with good fight scenes.
post #105 of 1060 Old 02-09-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 717
The fights are done very well for a TV show and do standout. The Raid however goes to eleven.
post #106 of 1060 Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 178
So what's the deal with the crazy blond chick? Philip is pretending to be some sort of Swedish diplomat in that subplot I think, but I guess we don't know how that's going down yet.

Well we do, in one sense... biggrin.gif
post #107 of 1060 Old 02-09-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This one was pretty harrowing, but I'm thinking more of the fight scenes in the pilot I guess. Thought they were especially well done for TV.
Quote:

The fights are done very well for a TV show and do standout. The Raid however goes to eleven.
As I think about, you guys are right. For television, it was pretty well done.
post #108 of 1060 Old 02-10-2013, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

So what's the deal with the crazy blond chick? Philip is pretending to be some sort of Swedish diplomat in that subplot I think, but I guess we don't know how that's going down yet.

She's the wife of the US Secretary of Defense, and Phillip convinces her to take surveillance photographs of his office so they can scan it for potential places to plant bugs. Her photos are what lead them to select the clock, since they need to bug an object within the office that has a source of electricity. He isn't cheating on Elizabeth, and she knows what he's doing: his "relationship" with Annalise (posing as Scott) is just part of the assignment to plant the bug.
post #109 of 1060 Old 02-10-2013, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

She's the wife of the US Secretary of Defense, and Phillip convinces her to take surveillance photographs of his office so they can scan it for potential places to plant bugs. Her photos are what lead them to select the clock, since they need to bug an object within the office that has a source of electricity. He isn't cheating on Elizabeth, and she knows what he's doing: his "relationship" with Annalise (posing as Scott) is just part of the assignment to plant the bug.

Exactly-its their job.The very first scene of the series showed the wife trading sex for info.Now its his turn.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #110 of 1060 Old 02-10-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

The wife of Cap? Don't think so, that was the lady talking to the maid in the study I think, not the hot crazy blonde. I don't think we know who she is yet.
post #111 of 1060 Old 02-10-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

The wife of Cap? Don't think so, that was the lady talking to the maid in the study I think, not the hot crazy blonde. I don't think we know who she is yet.

From http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2013/02/the-americans-review-the-clock-episode-102.html

Philip is sleeping with the wife of the Undersecretary of Defense (the honey trapping, it appears, goes both ways). She thinks he’s a Swedish ambassador.

So, it's not Cap but one of his subordinates.....

Bobby 

post #112 of 1060 Old 02-10-2013, 07:56 AM

Liked: 11
I agree with the sentiments of those who say it's hard to root for these characters when their "mission" is to injure, harm, terrorize good old US ofA. I am a child of the sixties and I readily admit my opinions and viewpoints are affected by living through the cold war era and the Russians being the "Evil Empire". It was about we were always one button push away from world annihilation. I know this sounds dramatic, but that is how living through that era molded our perspectives. Yes, Kerri Russel is beautiful, attractive, etc. She is an extremely accomplished actor. And her husband Phjillip, (Mathew Rhys) is wonderfully sympathetic. The show is very well done. And perhaps that is where the core of the problem lies. We find ourselves connecting with these characters and this is a most guilty pleasure. I actually appreciate the flashbacks where we are clearly reminded who these people really are. Terrorist spies. In post 911 era, there is no sympathy, or empathy in my heart for this at all.
post #113 of 1060 Old 02-10-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Good series so far, I absolutely love it! But does anyone else notice the extreme amount of compression artifacts and shimmering pixels during the darker scenes in this show? It was really apparent and annoying during this past weeks episode during the car ride scene at minute mark :46 or so, but throughout both episodes it’s been noticeable. The outdoor market scene with the FBI agent telling the girl to nod if his accusations were correct that occurred around the same time was also pretty bad. I record this (and most of my other shows) on both the Time Warner and DirecTV DVRs. I watched The Americans on TW, but rewatched certain scenes on DirecTV and it was just as bad if not worse as far as the compression artifacts go. I don’t recall American Horror Story: Asylum being this bad.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #114 of 1060 Old 02-10-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I love it too. I believe this show divides.I don't think some liked it when the head KGB guy called Reagan a madman. The ones that don't like it will follow it more than the ones that do.

These are just my opinions.
post #115 of 1060 Old 02-10-2013, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

I love it too. I believe this show divides.I don't think some liked it when the head KGB guy called Reagan a madman. The ones that don't like it will follow it more than the ones that do.

Those that weren't a fan of Reagan won't mind the comment. Those that were a fan of Reagan, shouldn't. That's exactly the impression that Reagan wanted the Russians to have of him.
post #116 of 1060 Old 02-10-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Those that weren't a fan of Reagan won't mind the comment. Those that were a fan of Reagan, shouldn't. That's exactly the impression that Reagan wanted the Russians to have of him.
Yep.
post #117 of 1060 Old 02-10-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuiekathome View Post

In post 911 era, there is no sympathy, or empathy in my heart for this at all.
Sad.
post #118 of 1060 Old 02-10-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

You beat me to it. Reagan wanted the Soviets to think he just might be a bloodthirsty madman. He wasn't, of course, but the policy he implemented of large increases in military spending sounded the death knell of the Soviet empire. They simply didn't have the resources to keep up. The cracks in their unsustainable economy became fissures and the rest is history. Nobody in the US at the time realized that the defense buildup would have such dramatic consequences but that's the way it turned out.
post #119 of 1060 Old 02-10-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You beat me to it. Reagan wanted the Soviets to think he just might be a bloodthirsty madman. He wasn't, of course, but the policy he implemented of large increases in military spending sounded the death knell of the Soviet empire. They simply didn't have the resources to keep up. The cracks in their unsustainable economy became fissures and the rest is history. Nobody in the US at the time realized that the defense buildup would have such dramatic consequences but that's the way it turned out.
We still sold corn to them too. Weird how that works.
post #120 of 1060 Old 02-10-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

We still sold corn to them too. Weird how that works.

We do billions in commerce with Communist China (we buy their products, they buy our debt), yet Communist Cuba has been under embargo for half a century. They're driving Edsels held together with duct tape and you can't find a decent cigar on this side of the Keys. I hope somebody explains that for me some day. biggrin.gif
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page