'The Americans' on FX HD - Page 40 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #1171 of 1192 Unread 02-15-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 9,238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post
People have differing opinions? How could that be?

I find The Americans to be above average, but I don't watch much television anymore to be honest. I don't know why many people feel compelled to label things as "best this" and "best that." In which case, I hereby declare The Americans as having the best kitchen space in all of cable television.
Oh man I saw that tupperware too. To die for.
darthrsg is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1172 of 1192 Unread 02-15-2015, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post
I find The Americans to be above average, but I don't watch much television anymore to be honest.
You don't have watch much television to recognize that in terms of acting, dialog, characterization, premise and especially the costumes, sets and period details the show is easily above average fare. Just flip around prime time and you can find half a dozen cop shows that are barely distinguishable from each other in almost every way. That's where average lies.

Quote:
I don't know why many people feel compelled to label things as "best this" and "best that." In which case, I hereby declare The Americans as having the best kitchen space in all of cable television.
I wouldn't refer to any single show as the overall "best" either. I watch different shows expecting different things and a lot excel at a particular thing in their own way. Is a drama better than a comedy or a superhero show better than action show? Is The Americans funnier than Justified? Does it have better stunts than Arrow?

For The Americans I would definitely say it has the most unique premise and two of the best characters on television right now. I haven't noticed the kitchen space, so I'll have to check that out next episode.
gwsat likes this.


VisionOn is offline  
post #1173 of 1192 Unread 02-15-2015, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 15,626
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
The Soviets are so brilliant and the FBI clueless.
Sounds believable to me.

.
.
Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
videobruce is online now  
post #1174 of 1192 Unread 02-16-2015, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jdog35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 796
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Sounds believable to me.
What's kind of ironic is that each structure was developed from an entirely Capitalist society and the other from a Communist. The irony is the intelligence circle that is more effective (i.e. more dangerous) is the Soviet's. Their biggest problem was a failure of their actual social/government structure without the support of a legitimate economy and support-system back home, and not necessarily with their intelligence structure/community.


The problem with ALL U.S. intelligence and enforcement agencies historically has been the competing compartmentalization of information amongst the various agencies (FBI, CIA, NSA, etc.), a tough lesson we learned all too well with 9/11. The Soviets, on the other hand, were much more united in their intelligence efforts. Yes, there were specialty groups running deep cover (the entire premise of this show), but the fact is their separate groups all shared information to try and get an advantage on the U.S. globally. This is one area in particular I think this show really nails that, as highlighted most recently by last week's episode.


On top of all of this, it's hard to judge an agency's efficacy when the only times you truly heard about them was when they failed in a public fashion. There are countless successes that never made the light of day because of the classified nature of our system. But when something got botched it was quite often public, hence leading to the appearance of an 'incompetent' agency/group. I, again, think this is where the show shines as well.
archiguy likes this.

Big Dumb Mammal
Jdog35 is offline  
post #1175 of 1192 Unread 02-19-2015, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,419
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Just when we thought Philip and Elizabeth were on totally opposite sides regarding Paige, she dupes them into being unable to reject her request for a baptism. Perhaps she's cut out for spycraft after all.
Aleron Ives is offline  
post #1176 of 1192 Unread 02-20-2015, 10:12 AM
Member
 
Jack Rainville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Just when we thought Philip and Elizabeth were on totally opposite sides regarding Paige, she dupes them into being unable to reject her request for a baptism. Perhaps she's cut out for spycraft after all.
I was thinking exactly the same thing while I watched them wiggle on the hook she'd set for them. This isn't the first time she showed her ability to outwit/corner them. She would make a very effective spy I think with the ability to easily manipulate others.

It was odd when they were arguing afterward and Elizabeth shouted, "She needs to know who she is!" It struck me that really it's her parents who don't really know who she is but it seems they're starting to find out.

I was getting uncomfortable watching the scene with Philip and the babysitter as he tries to "develop her" as an asset to get information about her dad. It made me think back to one of the early episodes of the series when a man who was clearly a pedophile was oggling Paige and saying how "sexy" she was and how Philip reacted to it and how he even tracked him down and threatened the man's life later. Now the tables are turned and he's the one letching on a young girl, though obviously he's being forced to do it as part of his job. It's easy to see the discomfort he's feeling. I hope they don't have to take it too far.
Jack Rainville is offline  
post #1177 of 1192 Unread 02-20-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MeatChicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NNJ
Posts: 1,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rainville View Post

I was getting uncomfortable watching the scene with Philip and the babysitter as he tries to "develop her" as an asset to get information about her dad. It made me think back to one of the early episodes of the series when a man who was clearly a pedophile was oggling Paige and saying how "sexy" she was and how Philip reacted to it and how he even tracked him down and threatened the man's life later. Now the tables are turned and he's the one letching on a young girl, though obviously he's being forced to do it as part of his job. It's easy to see the discomfort he's feeling. I hope they don't have to take it too far.
>> I know what you mean, however they made a point in the episode of saying she was "legal 18" ( " The drinking age in DC is 18, so why are you instead trying to get in this place over here"), ... so they may go farther with that ....

.... I have the "original" 1st pressing of the YAZOO Upstairs At Eric's album, before they had to legally change their name to YAZ ...




Last edited by MeatChicken; 02-20-2015 at 12:05 PM.
MeatChicken is offline  
post #1178 of 1192 Unread 02-20-2015, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
SMHarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Ok why did they have yo change their name as a Brit knowing them as Yahoo this confuses me in America.
SMHarman is offline  
post #1179 of 1192 Unread 02-20-2015, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MeatChicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NNJ
Posts: 1,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
Ok why did they have yo change their name as a Brit knowing them as Yazoo ( sp.)this confuses me in America.
There was some other Band, or possibly product (I forget), that complained...
MeatChicken is offline  
post #1180 of 1192 Unread 02-20-2015, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
SMHarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Aha, a Texas Rock Band Yazoo. We've all heard of them!
SMHarman is offline  
post #1181 of 1192 Unread 02-20-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hooked01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
>> I know what you mean, however they made a point in the episode of saying she was "legal 18" ( " The drinking age in DC is 18, so why are you instead trying to get in this place over here"), ... so they may go farther with that ....

.... I have the "original" 1st pressing of the YAZOO Upstairs At Eric's album, before they had to legally change their name to YAZ ...

http://youtu.be/tLTGs4fqxBk

http://youtu.be/vh1C1VDlmmk

http://youtu.be/_Yod7jc8U94

Thanks for the videos. One of my favorite albums. Allison Moyet's voice is incredible.
hooked01 is online now  
post #1182 of 1192 Unread 02-20-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,419
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rainville View Post
It was odd when they were arguing afterward and Elizabeth shouted, "She needs to know who she is!" It struck me that really it's her parents who don't really know who she is but it seems they're starting to find out.
I interpreted that line differently. I think what Elizabeth meant was that Paige needs to know where she comes from and not who she is. There's a big difference, and Elizabeth's fatal mistake is that she assumes Paige will unconditionally join her side once she knows the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rainville View Post
I was getting uncomfortable watching the scene with Philip and the babysitter as he tries to "develop her" as an asset to get information about her dad.
I loved the construction of the scene where Philip and Elizabeth are in the bedroom and talking about how they have never tried to recruit someone so young, and then Paige yells, "I'm home!" from downstairs. Speaking of potentially catastrophic attempts to recruit youngsters...
Aleron Ives is offline  
post #1183 of 1192 Unread 02-20-2015, 03:33 PM
Member
 
Jack Rainville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I interpreted that line differently. I think what Elizabeth meant was that Paige needs to know where she comes from and not who she is. There's a big difference, and Elizabeth's fatal mistake is that she assumes Paige will unconditionally join her side once she knows the truth.
Yes, I agree that's probably what she meant, but she's quite mistaken if she thinks Paige "came from" anywhere other than Washington DC. It's where she was born and raised. It's the only life she's ever known. She's an American teenager with American values and an American attitude. Philip seems to understand that to some degree. She's never known the type of hardships that her parents knew that drove them to do what they're doing and he said so in a previous episode this season. She's not equiped for what would be expected of her was what he said.

The fact that the two kids are just normal everyday American kids is a testamant to the fact that Philip and Elizabeth acted their roles out so well, even in the privacy of their own home, that they even have their kids believing they're just typical middle class Americans. If they do get to the point of outing themselves to Paige the writers could certainly go a lot of ways with it, but the most logical would be for her to freak out and at least seriously consider turning them in as traitors to her country.
gwsat likes this.
Jack Rainville is offline  
post #1184 of 1192 Unread 02-20-2015, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,419
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Her deciding to turn them in remains the most likely outcome in my mind, but Elizabeth is so blinded by her own ideology I don't think she's even considered that Paige would reject the "family business", let alone turn them in for it. She hasn't prepared at all for the fact that the revelation could force them to kill their own daughter, which seems quite possible to me. It would be truly chilling if this season ended with Paige being the one in a suitcase... That seems more like a final-season kind of twist, though (and I hope that season 3 isn't it!).
Aleron Ives is offline  
post #1185 of 1192 Unread 02-21-2015, 08:31 AM
Senior Member
 
jpillar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Her deciding to turn them in remains the most likely outcome in my mind, but Elizabeth is so blinded by her own ideology I don't think she's even considered that Paige would reject the "family business", let alone turn them in for it. She hasn't prepared at all for the fact that the revelation could force them to kill their own daughter, which seems quite possible to me. It would be truly chilling if this season ended with Paige being the one in a suitcase... That seems more like a final-season kind of twist, though (and I hope that season 3 isn't it!).
Let's look at this more on the geopolitical level. Andropov is now in power but only lived about a year or two before Gorbachev took over and when he does the directive to recruit their children might go away. Though that would not make very interesting TV, it's just a thought.
jpillar is offline  
post #1186 of 1192 Unread 02-21-2015, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 4,360
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Her deciding to turn them in remains the most likely outcome in my mind, but Elizabeth is so blinded by her own ideology I don't think she's even considered that Paige would reject the "family business", let alone turn them in for it. She hasn't prepared at all for the fact that the revelation could force them to kill their own daughter, which seems quite possible to me. It would be truly chilling if this season ended with Paige being the one in a suitcase... That seems more like a final-season kind of twist, though (and I hope that season 3 isn't it!).
^ lets hope it doesn't happen- I think that type ending for Paige would be the death knell for the series.
Nobody is going to watch (or sponsor) a series where the two main characters are completely hated by the viewers.

That being said- I could easily imagine a series finale' where Paige outs her parents- and just before capture they both take a pill and we fade to black.
Hopefully we have a few more seasons before that happens though.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."

Last edited by replayrob; 02-21-2015 at 01:55 PM.
replayrob is offline  
post #1187 of 1192 Unread 02-21-2015, 02:46 PM
Member
 
Dalav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Speaking of the future of the show, it was a year ago this past week that FX renewed it for season 3. So hopefully there will be some good news soon.

Came across a quote from Matthew Rhys who thought an interesting storyline might be the Jennings turning double, against the KGB, in effort to protect their kids. Would be an interesting avenue to go down as a way of mixing up the show and keeping it fresh. It won't be easy for Elizabeth to get to that point, but I suspect there is a significant dark side to Gabriel, belied by his fatherly monotone. I don't see he or The Centre giving Matthew and Elizabeth much of a pass for their years of good work should they dissent on the second generation issue. That'll make defection an easier choice.
Dalav is online now  
post #1188 of 1192 Unread 02-23-2015, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 578
The thing you can take from this discussion is that hardly anyone has a definitive idea that the show will take. That lack of predictability is a rare thing on television these days and one of the benefits of having a show that is not following a typical batch of "good" guys.

Will the Jennings live or die? Kill their own children? Will they defect? If one or both defect does that retroactively make them "good" guys all along despite everything they've done?

It wouldn't be the first time. See: Operation Paperclip.


VisionOn is offline  
post #1189 of 1192 Unread 02-23-2015, 10:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
.... I have the "original" 1st pressing of the YAZOO Upstairs At Eric's album, before they had to legally change their name to YAZ ...
That album actually created a bit of a timeline issue in this show.

It was released in August of 1982. Right after the scene where Philips gives Paige the album, he's see reading PC Magazine Volume 1, Number 1. That issue was released for the months of February and March of that same year. Assuming the album has been out for a couple weeks or so, and PC Magazine followed the method many magazines followed of delivering each issue just before the beginning of the month, it could have been the end of August in the timeline. That means it should have been the September Issue he was reading.

Granted, it's possible Phillip might have been reading (or re-reading) an old issue, but the September issue was PC Product Guide. It would make more sense for Philip to be leafing through that if he has any interest in computers. Granted, issue one profile the IBM PC, but the Product Guide likely compared it to other systems available.

Now, it could be they simply couldn't get a copy of Issue Number 5 since it's less likely people would have kept that issue verses the very first one. Plus, it sort of points out that was the first year the magazine started.

The cell phone in the previous episode was a blast from the past, though. I had a later model that was half that size and game in a soft bag. I wanted the "brick", but it was way too expensive and got terrible reception compared to the bag phone (which ran a full 3 watts).

Last edited by NetworkTV; 02-23-2015 at 10:06 PM.
NetworkTV is offline  
post #1190 of 1192 Unread 02-26-2015, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
Phil17108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I watch some shows 2 or 3 at a time off the dvr and just happen to be watching the last two of the Americans. I am sure others noticed Callie Thorne in the 2/18 episode, she is one of my favorites and just can't see her doing just a walk and talk on. From my point of view she ands some fun to the party.
Phil17108 is online now  
post #1191 of 1192 Unread 02-26-2015, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
SMHarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
That album actually created a bit of a timeline issue in this show.

It was released in August of 1982. Right after the scene where Philips gives Paige the album, he's see reading PC Magazine Volume 1, Number 1. That issue was released for the months of February and March of that same year. Assuming the album has been out for a couple weeks or so, and PC Magazine followed the method many magazines followed of delivering each issue just before the beginning of the month, it could have been the end of August in the timeline. That means it should have been the September Issue he was reading.

Granted, it's possible Phillip might have been reading (or re-reading) an old issue, but the September issue was PC Product Guide. It would make more sense for Philip to be leafing through that if he has any interest in computers. Granted, issue one profile the IBM PC, but the Product Guide likely compared it to other systems.
Philips a busy guy. I can quite see a stack of unread magazines piling up.
SMHarman is offline  
post #1192 of 1192 Unread Today, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 93
That Yazoo brings back memories, I was a similar age as Paige at the time, and we listened those tunes at a summer Pioneer camp in Hungary, 4 years later I defected just as I turned 18.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
thehun is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off