FX Orders Fourth Season of "The Americans"
Four episodes remain in the current season, which will conclude with the season finale on April 22.
[via press release from FX]
FX ORDERS FOURTH SEASON OF "THE AMERICANS"
Award-Winning Drama Starring Keri Russell, Matthew Rhys and Noah Emmerich Receives 13-Episode Order for Season Four
Four All-New Episodes Remain This Season, Airing Wednesdays at 10 PM ET/PT, With Season Three Finale Scheduled for April 22nd
LOS ANGELES, March 31, 2015 - FX has ordered a fourth season of the critically-acclaimed and award-winning drama The Americans, it was announced today by Nick Grad and Eric Schrier, Presidents of Original Programming for FX Networks and FX Productions. The Americans, currently the #1-ranked
television series on Metacritic with a 92, will return for a 13-episode fourth season in 2016. Four episodes remain in the current season, which will conclude with the season finale on April 22nd.
The Americans was honored by the American Film Institute (AFI) as one of the TV Programs of the Year in 2014 for its first season and again in 2015 for its second season. The series has also received three Primetime Emmy Award(R) nominations over the course of its first two seasons.
Grad said, "Remarkably, this season of The Americans has achieved even greater acclaim than that of its first two seasons. The series has cemented it status with critics as television's best current drama and arguably the best show on TV, and we couldn't agree more. That universal critical praise is a tribute to the talents of Joe, Joel, Keri, Matthew, Noah and the entire cast and crew. We look forward to the final four episodes of season three, and beyond, in Philip and Elizabeth Jennings' riveting journey."
"It's been a once in a lifetime opportunity to make a show like this with the immensely talented and immeasurably supportive team at FX and Fox 21 Television Studios," said Joe Weisberg and Joel Fields. "We are blessed with an extraordinary cast and crew and grateful that we'll all be able to continue telling this story that we love so much."
In the next all-new episode, "Stingers" (Airs April 1, 10:00 pm e/p) - Philip and Elizabeth deploy a plan for the C.I.A.'s Mujahideen visitors. Tensions at the Jennings' home escalate. Written by Joel Fields & Joe Weisberg; directed by Larysa Kondracki.
The Americans is a period drama about the complex marriage of two KGB spies posing as Americans in suburban Washington D.C. shortly after Ronald Reagan is elected President. The arranged marriage of Philip (Matthew Rhys) and Elizabeth Jennings (Keri Russell) grows more passionate and genuine by the day, but is constantly tested by the escalation of the Cold War and the intimate, dangerous and darkly funny relationships they must maintain with a network of spies and informants under their control. Their neighbor, FBI Agent Stan Beeman (Noah Emmerich), has become a renewed threat since he has rededicated himself to the mission of uncovering the identities of the Russian spies living among Americans. Tensions are also running high within the Jennings' home as Philip and Elizabeth find themselves increasingly at odds over their daughter's future now that the KGB has made it clear that they want Paige to join the family business. Joe Weisberg is creator and Executive Producer, alongside Joel Fields, Graham Yost and Daniel Sackheim. Amblin/DreamWorks Television heads Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank are also Executive Producers. The Americans is produced by Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions.
The Americans continues to be hailed as one of the best dramas on television, including this small sampling of recent press reviews:
· "The best show on TV, full stop, and a large reason for that is the unsettling subtlety of the lead performances. Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell are exceptional in their roles as restive KGB sleeper agents in Reagan's America." - Andy Greenwald, Grantland (February 19, 2015)
· "A thrilling, moving, clever show about human intimacy - possibly the best current drama out there." - Emily Nussbaum, The New Yorker (March 18, 2015)
· "The best show on television, by a fair amount - and this is a great era for the medium, with terrific series bursting out all over... . [The Americans is] one of the most deeply emotional shows on television, but it hides those beats within the chilly heart of the spy thriller, where characters must always be on guard, and plots twist and turn with every new revelation." - Todd VanDerWerff, Vox.com (January 28, 2015)
· "The best show on television... strong as ever, with perfect Cold War chill... .My trust in the writers and producers is unshakable at this point." - Hank Stuever, The Washington Post (January 27, 2015)
· "The Americans has to be the greatest drama on TV right now... .Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell are superb... .The whole season is taking audacious dramatic risks... .The entire cast keeps excelling." - Rob Sheffield, Rolling Stone (March 19, 2015)
Through the first five episodes, Season 3 of The Americans is within range of Season 2 in Total Viewers (-4%, 4.21 million vs. 4.28 million) and Adults 18-49 (-6%, 1.84 million vs. 1.97 million) based on Live+7 viewing inclusive of linear and non-linear platforms (VOD and streaming). Further, DVR usage for Season 3 is more significant than past seasons, with a +147% lift in Live+Same Day to Live+7 viewing (414,000>1.02 million), as opposed to a 124% lift in Season 2 and a 93%