'The Americans' on FX HD - Page 45 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #1321 of 1348 Old 04-04-2015, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
Not only that in Elizabeth's home country it is expected that children should inform on their parents. Bet Elizabeth won't reveal that fact to Paige.
...except that Elizabeth sees Paige as a daughter of the USSR, just as she is. Paige's parents are loyal to their country, so Paige would have nothing to report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1348 Old 04-04-2015, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Where did you hear that? As mentioned earlier Landgraf wants the show to run at least five seasons. The only news recently has been the renewal for season four and unless something takes a major downward turn there is a good probability it will be back for season five.
The ratings have been in decline for the entire season, nobody was sure if it gets renewed for the 4th season let alone for one more after that. I think season 4 has to pick up some steam, or it will be the last and the producers might have cut it short. We shall see.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #1323 of 1348 Old 04-04-2015, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
...except that Elizabeth sees Paige as a daughter of the USSR, just as she is. Paige's parents are loyal to their country, so Paige would have nothing to report.
She might expect that, but Paige is an American girl, and she would require a total re-education in order to live for the cause which means she would have to return to mother USSR.

The Hun
post #1324 of 1348 Old 04-05-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Where did you hear that? As mentioned earlier Landgraf wants the show to run at least five seasons. The only news recently has been the renewal for season four and unless something takes a major downward turn there is a good probability it will be back for season five.
Thanks for the clarification, looks like I missed that. I do hope it gets the full five seasons, which may be a good bet given the renewal with current ratings. I'm glad that FX is willing to stick with shows like these they get great critical reviews.
post #1325 of 1348 Old 04-05-2015, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
She might expect that, but Paige is an American girl, and she would require a total re-education in order to live for the cause which means she would have to return to mother USSR.
We all knew this was coming it was just a matter of when, but now that it's out in the open there's a crapton of interesting stuff they can add to the mix (as if they didn't have enough irons in the fire already!).

Can't wait.
post #1326 of 1348 Old 04-05-2015, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1981
Quote:
You're probably correct. I don't remember if they ever referred to the aircraft directly, they just keep talking about stealth technology for a bomber. Which I automatically picture as the B2 because the F117 was always erroneously referred to as a stealth fighter. Even though it wasn't actually a fighter.
The F117 was a totally black project, nobody out of the loop knew what it was going to be, only that it was supposed to be virtually radar invisible. With its limited range and payload it wouldn't have scared the Soviets all that much. The range and capacity of the B2 scared the bejesus out of them, that's why we let them know that it was coming. For years before it deployed they were pissing away resources that they couldn't spare trying to figure out a way to stop them. In that it was far more effective against them as a perceived threat than it ever was once it became fully operational. When that happened in 1993 the Soviet Union was already long gone.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #1327 of 1348 Old 04-09-2015, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 193
What's the interest in the hotel/hotel manager? I missed that from last week.
post #1328 of 1348 Old 04-09-2015, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Good episode but there is no movement on the Paige issue.

The Hun
post #1329 of 1348 Old 04-09-2015, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
What's the interest in the hotel/hotel manager? I missed that from last week.
The CIA is putting an Afghan mujadeen (sp?) group in the hotel.
post #1330 of 1348 Old 04-09-2015, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Elizabeth enjoyed the sex with the hotel manager when he took charge as opposed to it just being a tool for her most other times when she was in charge. She obviously felt very guilty about it and I wonder if that will continue in the story line. She had a problem with this in the past when Martha told her that the sex with Clark (Philip) was great and when she tried to have some of it that way with Philip herself it ended badly.
post #1331 of 1348 Old 04-09-2015, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Be patient.
Ph8te likes this.
post #1332 of 1348 Old 04-09-2015, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1770 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:

I don't think this show does immediate payoff much it's a slow burn as they show the point a-d by showing b and c. It's much like older shows where they used to show people driving to locations they needed to go instead of now where they tend to just do an a-b via cut scenes. I'm actually enjoying seeing the struggle that Paige is going through because really no movement is movement. She is still struggling with what she has been told. That is not something that one would irrationally react to.

Sent from nowhere
post #1333 of 1348 Old 04-09-2015, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
They are turning the Paige slowly. She's almost, but not quite, old enough to take on a mission.
thehun likes this.

Arvy
post #1334 of 1348 Old 04-09-2015, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post
She obviously felt very guilty about it and I wonder if that will continue in the story line.
I didn't really see it that way: I saw it as her being tired of having to use her body as her weapon and wondering, now that Paige knows who she is, whether she wants Paige eventually to have to sell herself in the same way.

I saw her having sex with Philip as wanting to cleanse her "business" sex with some real sex with her husband, but Philip's reaction was quite telling: he didn't seem to be enjoying it, because he knows full well that the only time Elizabeth gets like that is when she's just been with someone on an assignment and wants to erase it from her memory. Knowing what she has to do on a regular basis for their work is surely a major buzzkill for Philip, so it's little surprise that he isn't very into the sex with Elizabeth.

You may very well be right that Elizabeth enjoyed the hotel sex more than she does her sex with Philip, but I don't think "guilt" is the right word for how she felt about it -- at least not as it pertains to her wanting to enjoy her sex with Philip more. I'd say that she feels guilty for hurting Philip with what she has to do. Even though both of them are well accustomed to the routines they must abide by to accomplish their missions, it doesn't make the emotional strain of those sacrifices any easier to bear for either of them.
post #1335 of 1348 Old 04-09-2015, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post
Be patient.
Uhhmmmm that was an observation not a complaint.

The Hun

Last edited by thehun; 04-09-2015 at 10:17 PM.
post #1336 of 1348 Old 04-09-2015, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I don't think this show does immediate payoff much it's a slow burn as they show the point a-d by showing b and c. It's much like older shows where they used to show people driving to locations they needed to go instead of now where they tend to just do an a-b via cut scenes. I'm actually enjoying seeing the struggle that Paige is going through because really no movement is movement. She is still struggling with what she has been told. That is not something that one would irrationally react to.

Sent from nowhere
Granted the show moves like you describe it especially this season, however Paige's awareness was a turning point and she's a teenager so yes being irrational would be quiet a norm for someone in her age. Paige is however not your typical teen in that sense and hence her measured reaction is line with her character I agree. As I said above it wasn't a disappointment on my part rather just an observation or summary. Yaeh I like to keep it pithy.
Ph8te likes this.

The Hun
post #1337 of 1348 Old 04-09-2015, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyBee View Post
The CIA is putting an Afghan mujadeen (sp?) group in the hotel.
Was that Philip at the hotel desk trying to check in and have the reservation under the wrong name? They only showed "him" on the monitor so I couldn't be sure.
SMHarman likes this.

The Hun
post #1338 of 1348 Old 04-09-2015, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yes, it was him.
thehun and SMHarman like this.
post #1339 of 1348 Old Today, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Nothing?

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #1340 of 1348 Old Today, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Do you think Martha makes it out of her apartment? Looks to me like she's going to get whacked.

These are just my opinions.
post #1341 of 1348 Old Today, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Phillip revealing his true self seems to have sealed Martha's fate. There's no way that he can let her go. I guess it's a good thing that Martha took out a suitcase for him. Thoughtful to the last.
Garrett Adams likes this.
post #1342 of 1348 Old Today, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I'm inclined to think that Philip's reveal indicates that Martha is a goner, and that the situation is to parallel when Elizabeth was most candid about herself right before she killed the old lady.
post #1343 of 1348 Old Today, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 112
If Martha's going to to be "taken care of" anyway, then I don't see the purpose of Philip revealing himself... I don't think his reveal is because he wants to be completely honest before she gets it, but instead, it's some sort of last-ditch effort to get her to stay so he won't need to kill her, because he does care about her to a large degree.
post #1344 of 1348 Old Today, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
If Martha's going to to be "taken care of" anyway, then I don't see the purpose of Philip revealing himself... I don't think his reveal is because he wants to be completely honest before she gets it, but instead, it's some sort of last-ditch effort to get her to stay so he won't need to kill her, because he does care about her to a large degree.
I agree. Why unmask and waste time if he is going to kill her? This might just give her time to prepare a defense.
post #1345 of 1348 Old Today, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 679
Honestly even though we all know it's Matthew Rhys in a wig and glasses, I was frankly amazed by the transformation when he went from Clark to Philip. He looked so much younger that I can actually see how Martha could be shocked by just a slight change of appearance.

Normally on spy shows disguises are thrown aside so casually they become just a necessary and ignored trope, but I think the slow reveal was exceptionally well done.

Still wondering where they go to get in disguise though.

post #1346 of 1348 Old Today, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I think they might have showed him doing that at a KGB safe-house once. First season, maybe.
post #1347 of 1348 Old Today, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
it's some sort of last-ditch effort to get her to stay so he won't need to kill her, because he does care about her to a large degree.
That's how I saw it. Martha said he wasn't giving her enough, so he's going to try giving her everything he can give. He's clearly become compromised during this assignment, because if he were thinking clearly, he'd see that she is of no more use as an asset and would tie up the loose ends. Instead, he's doubling down and trying to keep her alive. Obviously if she goes on vacation right now she's going to draw suspicion and get caught, so he would have to kill her before she could raise those red flags. He's trying to convince her that he's really on her side.

It looks to me as if Paige is going to take the offer to go to Russia. I was thinking she would either accompany Elizabeth to make the vacation look more legitimate (wherever their fake destination may be) or that she would play a role by somehow covering for Elizabeth while she's gone, and it looks like we're going the former route.
post #1348 of 1348 Old Today, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Martha will strangely disappear while on the way to visit her parents. FBI is appeased with a leave of absence, her parents are concerned, but when there's no body, there's no crime.

Paige goes with Elizabeth because, along with meeting grandma, it's part of her indoctrination. See the 'homeland', learn something about being a 'travel' agent, etc.

Arvy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page