'The Americans' on FX HD - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-27-2015, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Does he though? If Paige confides in her pastor is that not a thing said in confidence? Plus if he betrays Paige's confidence then she and her brother lose her parents and he pisses her off at the same time. That will be harming the entire family, innocents and all.
You might be right about all of that.

After watching the finale, I had a brief thought:

What if Tim did go to the FBI, and Beeman is assigned to interview him? He'd say: "My boring neighbors are Soviet agents? No way!" And he'd quash the whole investigation.

I doubt it'll happen like that, though.

I keep thinking that Beeman's and Phillip's/Elizabeth's story arcs will eventually collide. Maybe this will be the impetus...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2015, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post
You might be right about all of that.

After watching the finale, I had a brief thought:

What if Tim did go to the FBI, and Beeman is assigned to interview him? He'd say: "My boring neighbors are Soviet agents? No way!" And he'd quash the whole investigation.

I doubt it'll happen like that, though.

I keep thinking that Beeman's and Phillip's/Elizabeth's story arcs will eventually collide. Maybe this will be the impetus...
There was a scene earlier this season, I think, where Stan took a long look at Elizabeth during one of his drop-in visits. It was after seeing the composite sketch done after Gaad's assault. He'd be surprised, sure, but like any good FBI agent, he'd follow the leads. And maybe start to put things together...
Old 04-27-2015, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I never expected Phil to off the FBI's I.T. guy as a way to deflect the investigation off of Martha. Yes, we could have had a scene where Martha finds out the guy has suddenly committed suicide, the investigation is concluded, and she's off the hook, but that scene will have to be reserved for next season. In the timeline of the show, it just happened that very day. Aaaaaand, there goes the last chunk of Philip's soul. This season had both Phil&Liz forced to commit horrific murders of innocents in the line of duty. Clearly, this isn't a job that leads to many happy endings.

Man, is it January yet? Like Andy Greenwald says, "Best show on TV, full stop".
The suicide not that can also be read as an apology / cry for help from Phillip.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
There was a scene earlier this season, I think, where Stan took a long look at Elizabeth during one of his drop-in visits. It was after seeing the composite sketch done after Gaad's assault. He'd be surprised, sure, but like any good FBI agent, he'd follow the leads. And maybe start to put things together...
Good point. I forgot about that scene.

How about this scenario for next year: Because Beeman's previous plan to trade the Soviet 'defector' for Nina has fallen apart, he instead tries to use the Pastor's accusation from Paige to negotiate. He approaches Phillip and Elizabeth (or Burov) with this knowledge and tries to use it to get Nina back.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post
How about this scenario for next year: Because Beeman's previous plan to trade the Soviet 'defector' for Nina has fallen apart, he instead tries to use the Pastor's accusation from Paige to negotiate. He approaches Phillip and Elizabeth (or Burov) with this knowledge and tries to use it to get Nina back.
That seems wild at first, but I could actually imagine it happening. Stan practically now has free reign in his investigative methods, with the FBI director literally telling him to find another way to free Nina, and the line between Russian and American motives have begun to blur a bit in his own mind.

Personally, I just want to see Agent Gaad beat the crap out of another piece of machinery.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post
Stan practically now has free reign in his investigative methods, with the FBI director literally telling him to find another way to free Nina.
Did he? I thought the director gave him the go ahead to turn Oleg using whatever resources he needed. Nina being just Stan's personal concern.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2130 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Did he? I thought the director gave him the go ahead to turn Oleg using whatever resources he needed. Nina being just Stan's personal concern.

You are correct. Nina is "not their problem" and Stan will need to do something else to get her back.

Sent from nowhere
Old 04-28-2015, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 96
You're right that it wasn't literal. What I meant is that he could do almost anything he wants to free Nina as long as it produces results for the FBI.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The only way I can see this show having a semi-happy ending is if Philip's internal conflict eventually leads him to become a defector and work with the FBI for immunity to bring down Elizabeth and everyone else he knows; in that situation, Philip, Henry, and Paige just might avoid the most harsh realities that would otherwise await them. If he doesn't defect, then he may at least try to save Henry and Paige before taking Elizabeth down with him. At this point, the only certainty seems to be that "business as usual" won't be an option much longer for him.
With Stan becoming Cold War Jack Bauer now I can see a Philip/Stan teamup in the future to bring down the Rezidentura and the Illegals program. Especially since Stan can do things in his own way so Philip doesn't have to officially defect. He can work with Stan in exchange for Stan just forgetting Philip, Henry and Paige exist. So Philip would escape retribution from the Soviets and publicity and charges from the FBI.

Elizabeth is still a wild card.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post
Personally, I just want to see Agent Gaad beat the crap out of another piece of machinery.
And so it begins....

Old 05-10-2015, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I am so impressed with Alison Wright (Martha). She is a great actress. I'll watch anything if she's in it.

... and someone please tell me how to subscribe to this "The Americans" thread.

HJ
...esse quam videri

Last edited by HJonez; 05-10-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJonez View Post
... and someone please tell me how to subscribe to this "The Americans" thread.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Exclamation AVS Layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Thanks, DSerber. I have to say, that hiding such a fundamental function under "Thread Tools" just seems dumb; certainly not user-friendly.

But, thanks again.

HJ
...esse quam videri
Old 05-11-2015, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJonez View Post
Thanks, DSerber. I have to say, that hiding such a fundamental function under "Thread Tools" just seems dumb; certainly not user-friendly.

But, thanks again.
Unless you changed your defaults, you also should have been automatically subscribed when you posted in the thread.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.3.1_6