'The Americans' on FX HD - Page 53 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 321Likes

post #1561 of 1901 Old 04-02-2016, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post
It's still entirely possible that Tim is KGB.
Before this season started, a possibility.

Now, not a chance in hell.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1901 Old 04-02-2016, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 718
I agree. If he was he would have said something like, "before you worry anymore I suggest you check with Directorate S."
post #1563 of 1901 Old 04-02-2016, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 1189
More importantly, IMO, Gabriel would not have presented the plan to knock him off while the Jennings were on vacation. The Centre would have told him not to off a fellow officer and that there was no danger.
post #1564 of 1901 Old 04-03-2016, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I agree. If he was he would have said something like, "before you worry anymore I suggest you check with Directorate S."
Very true. I don't even know why I posted what I posted.
post #1565 of 1901 Old 04-04-2016, 02:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 423
What a difference from the last episode, nobody was killed yet things were happening and were far more interesting as well.....

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

The Hun
post #1566 of 1901 Old 04-07-2016, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Holy $hit!
Ph8te likes this.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #1567 of 1901 Old 04-07-2016, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
Holy $hit!
I reckon! Yikes! So much for dear old daddy Burov helping out poor Oleg.
Spoiler!
TeeJay1952 and Ph8te like this.
post #1568 of 1901 Old 04-07-2016, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

That was a surprise, wasn't it?

Spoiler!
Ph8te and innuss like this.

post #1569 of 1901 Old 04-07-2016, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Any speculation as to what is going on inside Elizabeth? It's not entirely clear to me. Seems pretty subtle, i.e., a change or further modest softening.

To give her ok that Philip go and live an American life like he always wanted, along with the kids, even if it was her second stated option (first option being Philip going on as a spy and blaming her for the Pastor/wife deaths), was still a significant change, don't you think? For maybe the first time, she was expressing loyalty or love to Philip & kids nearly as much or maybe even equally to her country.

And then later the part where she recalls her own fear as a younger girl not knowing if her mother was going to be survive illness and what would happen to herself if her mother should die. Elizabeth was beginning to empathize more with her daughter than the importance of her cause, which later manifested in her change of attitude about no longer wanting to kill the Pastor and his wife.

post #1570 of 1901 Old 04-07-2016, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Oh man, I'm gonna miss the lovely Nina.
Egan and Garrett Adams like this.

Afro GT
post #1571 of 1901 Old 04-07-2016, 07:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1424
I think having the dream sequence fake out was a mistake. It started as a good misdirection, but it became so obviously dreamlike and happy that as soon as Nina woke up I took it as a sign that the opposite was about to occur. I'm not convinced that Oleg's father was covering up an embarrassing legacy yet, but if he was late to act on freeing her then I exect he will cover it up regardless.

Not a great loss to the show really. The story had really painted the character into a corner with nowhere for her to go. Bringing her back to the USA was the only real route her character could take after it burned her relationship with scientist dude and that angle was going nowhere.

Here's hoping Oleg blames his father and that sets him on a revenge spree of some kind. Acting as a double agent would give his character something to do now before his character becomes redundant too.
thehun likes this.

post #1572 of 1901 Old 04-07-2016, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
And then later the part where she recalls her own fear as a younger girl not knowing if her mother was going to be survive illness and what would happen to herself if her mother should die. Elizabeth was beginning to empathize more with her daughter than the importance of her cause, which later manifested in her change of attitude about no longer wanting to kill the Pastor and his wife.
The death of her mother has reminded her of the family she lost when she was recruited. Up until then I think I remember that she had avoided seeing her mother for decades (?) and blamed her for something that was not her mom's fault.

Now after seeing her mom the real memories and feelings she had trained by force and conditioned out of her are slowly returning and Elizabeth doesn't seem to want to subject Paige to the same life she was forced to. If the KGB lied about what Elizabeth's mom said before she died I think it's having the opposite effect to what they intended.

But, Henry? Screw that kid, apart from Stan nobody cares about him!

post #1573 of 1901 Old 04-07-2016, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
But, Henry? Screw that kid, apart from Stan nobody cares about him!
True that! Poor Henry seems to be an afterthought for everyone in his family.
Ph8te likes this.
post #1574 of 1901 Old 04-07-2016, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked: 3514
Quote:
Any speculation as to what is going on inside Elizabeth? It's not entirely clear to me. Seems pretty subtle, i.e., a change or further modest softening.

To give her ok that Philip go and live an American life like he always wanted, along with the kids, even if it was her second stated option (first option being Philip going on as a spy and blaming her for the Pastor/wife deaths), was still a significant change, don't you think? For maybe the first time, she was expressing loyalty or love to Philip & kids nearly as much or maybe even equally to her country.

She has always been the "hard" one. With the loss of her mother, we started to see the cracks grow however. The dream sequence on top of her questioning the information she received about her mother made for a shift in thought. She thought she was dying, and not knowing IF her mother really said those things or felt those things deeply affected her. She did not want her children (more importantly her daughter) to ever wonder if she/they loved her. I wouldn't say "significant" just because we have been seeing these changes occur slowly for a few episodes.

As the others have said sad to see Nina go thought this was a very well done episode and this show continues to be one of the best unwatched dramas on TV. Looking forward to see how everything fits into place after the events we saw.
post #1575 of 1901 Old 04-08-2016, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Seems like they didn't have an idea of what to do with the character, who was suppose to be originally on for a couple of episodes in season 1.

Interesting thing is it's only March 1983. It seemed like when the show referred to Brezhnev's death, it was a long time ago so I thought it was later in time.

Brezhnev died in NOvember 1982 so Andropov was in power.

If Nina was going to get leniency, she would have had better chance under Gorbachev but he wouldn't take over until March 1985.

But more interestingly, Philip and Elizabeth's lives would change radically under Gorby, assuming the show gets to that period.
bmcn likes this.
post #1576 of 1901 Old 04-09-2016, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I agree with some of the prior sentiment stating that Nina's story thread wasn't really going anywhere, yet I don't think I've ever felt so bad about the death of a TV character. Her reaction to the decree of imminent execution was just that damn convincing.

Also done very well was the conveyance of some relief on Philip's part whenever there was discussion about living the normal American life. Even when his face doesn't explicitly express such relief, the viewer knows exactly what he is thinking.
Egan likes this.
post #1577 of 1901 Old 04-09-2016, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Thumbs up

Quote:
I think having the dream sequence fake out was a mistake. It started as a good misdirection, but it became so obviously dreamlike and happy that as soon as Nina woke up I took it as a sign that the opposite was about to occur. I'm not convinced that Oleg's father was covering up an embarrassing legacy yet, but if he was late to act on freeing her then I exect he will cover it up regardless.

Not a great loss to the show really. The story had really painted the character into a corner with nowhere for her to go. Bringing her back to the USA was the only real route her character could take after it burned her relationship with scientist dude and that angle was going nowhere.

Here's hoping Oleg blames his father and that sets him on a revenge spree of some kind. Acting as a double agent would give his character something to do now before his character becomes redundant too.
Thanks bud, saved me from a bunch of typing, spot on IMO.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

The Hun
post #1578 of 1901 Old 04-09-2016, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I still don't understand the point of the story line with Elizabeth and the asian family 2 episodes ago

I think the producers have realized the actor playing Henry is not capable of more so they're writing really dumbed down stuff for him. This happens often in shows with child actors.
post #1579 of 1901 Old 04-09-2016, 09:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post
I still don't understand the point of the story line with Elizabeth and the asian family 2 episodes ago
I seem to remember that family was a connection to the top secret bioweapons level the virologist did not have access to. I don't think they got around to finish working them for the security clearance yet. If that is still the plan.

Of course the subtext to that story was that Elizabeth got to hang with a normal family and began to enjoy being just a wife with a regular job and a fun friend, which has opened a few cracks in her espionage ice maiden armor. It might have brought her around to wanting to just side with Philip and defect too.
Ph8te and bmcn like this.

post #1580 of 1901 Old 04-09-2016, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 27
This show is running out of steam. They are just going through the motion until it's done.
oldcband likes this.
post #1581 of 1901 Old 04-10-2016, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post
This show is running out of steam. They are just going through the motion until it's done.
That's mean, you just hurt the shows feelings.

post #1582 of 1901 Old 04-10-2016, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2955 Post(s)
Liked: 2530
To me, one of the brilliant things about this show is how they've managed to progress the relationship storyline between Phil & Liz and their kids. At the heart of it, the family dynamic and how organically it evolves is at least as interesting as the spycraft. Contrary to running out of steam, I feel the show continues to surprise us.
post #1583 of 1901 Old 04-10-2016, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
I think having the dream sequence fake out was a mistake. It started as a good misdirection, but it became so obviously dreamlike and happy that as soon as Nina woke up I took it as a sign that the opposite was about to occur.
Have to admit I didn't see it coming until the prosecutor guy started giving his formal speech, then I knew she was doomed. Hate to see her go, really liked that character.

But happy to see the noose finally starting to tighten around Martha's neck, can't wait to see how that's going to play out.

Last edited by Egan; 04-10-2016 at 04:34 PM.
post #1584 of 1901 Old 04-10-2016, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Read an article with the showrunners who stated that the method of
Spoiler!
VisionOn likes this.

post #1585 of 1901 Old 04-10-2016, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Best show on TV.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 BD ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon AVR-X3200W ~ SVS Prime Bookshelf L/R ~ SVS Prime Satellite Surrounds ~ MultEQ XT L/R Bypass ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #1586 of 1901 Old 04-10-2016, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Read an article with the showrunners who stated that the method of execution was pretty accurate to the way it was handled during that period. Very little prior notice, with two men standing immediately adjacent to prop up the soon-to-be victim because the victim's knees would always buckle upon receiving the news of their imminent execution.
No need for spoilers.

Have to say, I did "enjoy" that moment. No drawn out speechifying, last moments montage or upcoming weeks of Nina sitting on death row. When they meant your execution would follow shortly they did not waste time!

If more television shows just killed someone as soon as they have the chance it would solve a lot of writing problems.

post #1587 of 1901 Old 04-10-2016, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
Best show on TV.
One thing I really like about this season is that Elizabeth and Philip don't have it so easy anymore. They were kind of like unstoppable super spies initially, now things are getting tougher and more complicated, with Paige finding out about them and blabbing to Pastor Tim. And Martha probably going to be caught, putting the CIA in position to snag "Clark". Good stuff.
D Bone likes this.
post #1588 of 1901 Old 04-12-2016, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Annet returning to FX, on a different show:

http://deadline.com/2016/04/fx-tyran...le-1201735557/
post #1589 of 1901 Old 04-12-2016, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post
Quote:
I seem to remember that family was a connection to the top secret bioweapons level the virologist did not have access to. I don't think they got around to finish working them for the security clearance yet. If that is still the plan.

Of course the subtext to that story was that Elizabeth got to hang with a normal family and began to enjoy being just a wife with a regular job and a fun friend, which has opened a few cracks in her espionage ice maiden armor. It might have brought her around to wanting to just side with Philip and defect too.
One of the many things I've always liked about this show is when one or both of them start a new mission. You're not given any explanation in advance; you simply see them in the middle of it. Later on, you glean the details.

I think we'll see this subplot later and in more detail. When Elizabeth was having dinner with the family, and they were joking about the guy at the head of the table drinking wine, she gave him a long, intense look. I suspect he's her target for this mission.
D Bone and bmcn like this.
post #1590 of 1901 Old 04-15-2016, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 79
It occurred to me Stan will eventually find, after Martha is dragged down, that Phil and Liz are Soviet agents. It was only a brief misdirection Pastor Tim was let in on the secret first. This is the same scenario laid out in Breaking Bad when Skyler discovered Walter's occupation prior to Hank working it out. I suspect the two shows can end in a similar manner, as well.

Arvy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page