"Firefly" Browncoats unite! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 78 Old 11-15-2012, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Gezzzz, since when did a FICTIONAL Sci-Fi TV show have to make a point to follow any rules on how to "terraform" a new planet?????? It's a whimsical look at space with a western twist that I truly enjoyed and still watch when it's on.

Either you liked the show or not,no need to nit-pick it to death. To reiterate this is a FICTIONAL show just enjoy it for what it was/is a nice escape for an hour.

Jerry
darthrsg likes this.

JERRY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 11-15-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopper810 View Post

Gezzzz, since when did a FICTIONAL Sci-Fi TV show have to make a point to follow any rules on how to "terraform" a new planet?????? It's a whimsical look at space with a western twist that I truly enjoyed and still watch when it's on.
Either you liked the show or not,no need to nit-pick it to death. To reiterate this is a FICTIONAL show just enjoy it for what it was/is a nice escape for an hour.
Jerry

YOU SHUT YOUR RATIONAL MIND RIGHT UP MISTER!!!!
post #63 of 78 Old 11-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

+1 !!!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #64 of 78 Old 11-15-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

Jerry

Amen. And if Joss wanted to make horses fly, more power to him.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #65 of 78 Old 11-15-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Some of you haven't read much sci-fi regarding the economics of colonization and how industrial capabilities of the colonized worlds always lag behind the colonies homeworlds. Also, from my understanding...

There is no FTL in the Whedon universe

The huge solar system was found with pre-terraformed worlds and vegetation suitable for humans and fauna...that's why it was so special. A gift from an advanced race (probably). Something suggested in many sci-fi stories that Whedon borrowed from.

If we left earth on a mass exodus, we'd be for sure taking frozen embryos and eggs of useful and managed ecosystems of plant and animal life to seed these worlds. Horses and cattle would be a staple of pre or minimually industrialed colonies for the first few centuries of their existence. Once industry is established and self sufficient, certainly horses would be phased out, but not in the beginning.

The economics of supporting colonies would largely be based on the resources and political climates of the home world(s) establishing them. If a sponsored colony pays back the investment the homeworld is vested in bringing it forward. If a colony is established by a splinter group of frontiersman trying to get out from under...they're on their own and smugglers like Mal would be integral in supplying them....and...they'd always be in jeopardy of failing.

We only saw a glimpse of the overall picture during the series and movie, but I had no problem with the logic of the premise.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #66 of 78 Old 11-15-2012, 02:40 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

biggrin.gif:D:D:D

JERRY
post #67 of 78 Old 11-16-2012, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Some of you haven't read much sci-fi regarding the economics of colonization and how industrial capabilities of the colonized worlds always lag behind the colonies homeworlds. Also, from my understanding...
There is no FTL in the Whedon universe
If there's no FTL travel, it's going to be a pretty small universe 500 years from now (when Firefly is set).
post #68 of 78 Old 11-16-2012, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Didn't Whedon once say when asked the capabilities of Serenity said that she "travels at the speed of plot?"
post #69 of 78 Old 11-16-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 106
If they tapped the Reavers into the current Zombie obsession, that would work in today's market. IMO, they didn't capitalize on that interest segment enough.

However, loved both the series and movie as-is and although not model material there was something sexy about that River.....

Inara and the concept of "companions" He77 Yeah!

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #70 of 78 Old 11-16-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

If there's no FTL travel, it's going to be a pretty small universe 500 years from now (when Firefly is set).
I got the impression that they had terraformed a large number of planets within a (relatively) small area of space, not located near Sol.

And, I believe that Whedon has said more than once that plot supercedes scientific accuracy. All I desire is that the writers remain fairly consistent within the established rules of the postulated universe. (Whedonverse?)

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #71 of 78 Old 11-16-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22

The beginning few minutes of the movie explains a lot of what happened (Earth all used up, heading out for a new solar system, why the outer worlds are what they are, etc.)

Scott
post #72 of 78 Old 11-16-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Not necessarily. We can still travel to the stars and time dilation makes it possible in a person's lifetime as long as you can accelerate to some significant fraction of the speed of light. Of course, it's a one-way trip, as time will pass much more quickly back on earth and even if you did return, everybody you knew, and their children and grand-children too, would be long gone. Using that method, you can hop-scotch across the galaxy, establishing colonies all along the way. In fact, if you do the math, in a mere million years we could colonize the whole Milky Way!
post #73 of 78 Old 11-16-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Not necessarily. We can still travel to the stars and time dilation makes it possible in a person's lifetime as long as you can accelerate to some significant fraction of the speed of light. Of course, it's a one-way trip, as time will pass much more quickly back on earth and even if you did return, everybody you knew, and their children and grand-children too, would be long gone. Using that method, you can hop-scotch across the galaxy, establishing colonies all along the way. In fact, if you do the math, in a mere million years we could colonize the whole Milky Way!

This effect is a significant part of the Ender's Game books.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #74 of 78 Old 11-16-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

This effect is a significant part of the Ender's Game books.

Two books that deal with the theme of time dilation I especially like and which are relatively short, quick reads (around 200 pages) are Joe Haldeman's The Forever War (film rights supposedly held by Morgan Freeman) and Poul Anderson's Tau Zero.
post #75 of 78 Old 11-16-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

Using that method, you can hop-scotch across the galaxy, establishing colonies all along the way. In fact, if you do the math, in a mere million years we could colonize the whole Milky Way!
All that really matters is that we still have AVS then....and downloads will probably suck.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #76 of 78 Old 11-17-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

All that really matters is that we still have AVS then....and downloads will probably suck.

Nah - posts will be piped directly into our brains within nanoseconds. Although there are certain guys (and we know who they are, don't we?) I sure wouldn't want in there. tongue.gif
post #77 of 78 Old 11-17-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

Nah - posts will be piped directly into our brains within nanoseconds. Although there are certain guys (and we know who they are, don't we?) I sure wouldn't want in there. tongue.gif
I won't name names (I'm looking at you John Malkovich)...tongue.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #78 of 78 Old 11-17-2012, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

It's the far future. They harness gravity, terraform entire planets, travel between star systems and have laser and sonic pulse weapons. Fossil fuels are not a requirement. Especially since they are not a requirement to provide propulsion in this century. If they haven't come up with a way to provide energy to power a bicycle or light vehicle then they must have missed a massive technological evolutionary step.

But as Oink said above, arguing logic is apparently pointless because most Firefly fans are too zealous to acknowledge that the premise was inherently flawed, so this ends the discussion from me. I think my points have been made pretty clear.
Logic? Please. You have repeatedly missed the whole point of the bad guys in this show. They are intentionally holding people down, withholding such things. How is someone on a dirt poor moon going to get expensive "future technology" when nobody will bring it to them? This is hardly a new story, far from a Whedon invention. I just wonder if you've even watched this show since this is such an obvious part of the plot. You find this difficult to believe as part of a show? Ridiculous.

Also, displaying a silly condescending attitude makes me wonder why you bothered clicking on this thread in the first place. You get off on feeling "superior" to Firefly fans? Maybe you should try iCarly fans next, at least they are actually immature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

The point being missed here is that this is a post-apocalyptic universe where the home planet (Earth) was devastated,
Not devasted, just full.
Quote:

Jerry
First day on the internet, Jerry? biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

The huge solar system was found with pre-terraformed worlds and vegetation suitable for humans and fauna...that's why it was so special. A gift from an advanced race (probably). Something suggested in many sci-fi stories that Whedon borrowed from.
Not pre-made, they did it themselves. They even show it in the movie.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page