Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 677
I am so gorram there. Who's with me?

'Firefly' marks milestone in Science TV special
By LYNN ELBER
AP Television Writer

LOS ANGELES The "Firefly" saga consists of 14 TV episodes, one big-screen movie and the undiminished passion of the space Western's fans, stars and producers.
To mark the 10th anniversary of the Fox show's abbreviated 2002-03 run, the Science Channel is airing the hourlong "Firefly 10th Anniversary: Browncoats Unite" at 10 p.m. EST Sunday.
The special will be preceded by a marathon showing of all the "Firefly" episodes starting at 7 a.m. EST.

For "Firefly" devotees, only one word can describe the prospect of seeing star Nathan Fillion, other cast members and creator Joss Whedon talk about making and missing their baby: "shiny," which is "Firefly"-speak for cool or good.

Fillion, who came down to Earth successfully in ABC's detective series "Castle," is happy to wallow in nostalgia and fan fervor. This summer, he took part in a packed San Diego Comic-Con tribute to "Firefly."

"The sheer volume of people is just the first part of it," Fillion said recently of the event. "Then you have to get down to how excited these people are. It's incredible energy. It's a very visceral feeling."
"The way I see it is there are people who love 'Firefly' as much as I do. 'Firefly' has a very special meaning to me, so I share in that excitement. It's easy for me to understand it," the 41-year-old actor said.

The series, a 26th-century adventure leavened with droll humor, followed the misfit crew of the Firefly-class spaceship Serenity. (The 2005 movie that rose, improbably, from the ashes of the low-rated "Firefly" was titled "Serenity." Comic books are among the other spinoffs.)

The ship's captain, Fillion's dashing but discontented Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds, fought with the losing, good-guy Browncoats in a civil war and now lives and works on the fringes of a repressive society.
For Fillion, the drama was the start of a leading-man career that he makes plain he owes to Whedon, whose cult-inducing credits range from online sensation "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" to TV's "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel" to blockbuster "The Avengers."

Fillion savored the experience.
"I remember the first time I put on my costume, walked onto the ship for the first day of work ... and the director of photography, David Boyd, saw me and hollered out, 'Captain on deck!' and everyone stopped and clapped."
"That's a moment I'll never forget," the Canadian-born actor said. Add the chance to be a classic Western hero and he was in heaven.
"Nothing makes you feel tougher than putting a gun on your hip in the desert and getting on the back of an animal and riding. There's something very manly about that," he said.
Fillion shares this tidbit: No matter what planet he ended up on while in the saddle, he always rode the same horse, Fred.

The special includes clips from the drama, a round-table conversation with cast members including Fillion, Jewel Staite (who played Kaylee), Sean Maher (Simon) and Summer Glau (River), along with snippets from the Comic-Con panel headed by Whedon.
"I just wanted to make something that felt real, like a piece of history," Whedon told the convention. "I wanted to tell an American immigrant story. I wanted to tell a Western story. But I need spaceships or I get cranky."
The writer-director-producer grew emotional, telling the crowd at one point that "the story is alive" because of them.

The enduring popularity of a show that couldn't get ratings traction in its first time around is something Fillion has pondered.
"There's certainly more fans now than there's ever been. It's interesting that the show, being this brief moment in time, it didn't have an opportunity to suck, to get bad," he said. "So it's this wonderful contained unit of what I like to think of as quality storytelling."

The show has left its mark on a new and unsuspecting generation.
"'Firefly' fans are out there and they're breeding," Fillion said. "I'll be scanning Twitter and someone will show a baby and say, 'This is Kaylee.'
"So I'm going to be out one day and someone will walk up and say, 'I am Kaylee.'"

Shiny!

---
EDITOR'S NOTE - Lynn Elber is a national television columnist for The Associated Press. She can be reached at lelber(at)ap.org.
---
Online:
http://science.discovery.com
Copyright 2012 . All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Read more here: http://charlotteobserver.com/2012/11/09/3654808/firefly-marks-milestone-in-science.html#storylink=cpy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 11-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!biggrin.gif

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #3 of 78 Old 11-10-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
This looks like something that should be part of a future collector's set.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #4 of 78 Old 11-10-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

This looks like something that should be part of a future collector's set.
Definitely!
post #5 of 78 Old 11-10-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I am so gorram there. Who's with me?

Online:
http://www.science.discovery.com
The above link should not have "www" in it, just "http://science.discovery.com/" smile.gif
post #6 of 78 Old 11-10-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

The above link should not have "www" in it, just "http://science.discovery.com/" smile.gif

Got it. I hadn't realized the "www" had gone away. Shows how much I know about the Internet. tongue.gif
post #7 of 78 Old 11-10-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 374
It hasn't gone away; it's just not necessary to have "www" as a subdomain of discovery.com since "science" is the subdomain in this instance. If you wanted to visit discovery.com's main page, you could use www.discovery.com or discovery.com, and both would redirect to dsc.discovery.com, because for whatever reason, the Discovery Channel thinks that "dsc" is more stylish than "www" for its main page.

As for the special, I've been anticipating this ever since it was announced several months ago. If only it was going to spur a revival of the series...
post #8 of 78 Old 11-11-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

As for the special, I've been anticipating this ever since it was announced several months ago. If only it was going to spur a revival of the series...

You know, I really think it could happen now. The series literally has more fans - a lot more - than it did then. Even my mother-in-law loved it fercryinoutloud. And announcing a re-boot with the original cast (it would have to be prior to the demise of a couple of main characters who shall remain nameless) would create such a firestorm of buzz, you'd think it could really be possible. You know it would open huge and in television's fractured universe these days that would almost guarentee it would succeed. And please don't remind me of Serenity's box office. wink.gif The franchise has only grown since then.
post #9 of 78 Old 11-11-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Fillion could never get back into those pants, and I don't think I'd want to see it if he tried.

One of the home truths of sci-fi fandom is that they think there are more of them than there really are. I bought tickets in advance to Serenity on opening day to make sure we'd have seats. We were alone in the theater. What you see at Comicon doesn't necessarily reflect the real world. Sometimes that crowd filling the room for a panel isn't representative of a show's fan base, it *is* the show's fan base.

As for a prequel, the actors are just too visibly aged. If the Firefly universe were to be revisited on TV, better to come up with a new premise and a new cast of characters, with perhaps one or two of the originals reprising their roles with the possibility of guest appearances by others from time to time.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #10 of 78 Old 11-11-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

If the Firefly universe were to be revisited on TV, better to come up with a new premise and a new cast of characters, with perhaps one or two of the originals reprising their roles with the possibility of guest appearances by others from time to time.
Although it's a huge dream, that's about the best one can hope for.
Like other cancelled series, Firefly was pulled because it didn't get the ratings the network wanted.
It's hard to believe anyone would touch the franchise again...

post #11 of 78 Old 11-11-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

Like other cancelled series, Firefly was pulled because it didn't get the ratings the network wanted.

You have way too much common sense to be in this thread:) Let us dream...

The thing is, before The Avengers was released, I remember Whedon being asked what he would do if it was a huge smash and he could do anything he wanted. He instantly mentioned Firefly as the one thing he had written he couldn't seem to let go of. And the way Fillion also seems to miss it, bringing it up seemingly every chance he gets. The guy is the star of a long running series but acts like he'd rather be identified with a low watched quickly cancelled series than what he's doing now. Usually an actor tries to distance himeslf from a prior role, afraid they will be typecast. Fillion seems to embrace it. And with his stature now, along with Morena's major role in Homeland, the cast is no longer unknown. And Joss is on top of the hollywood world now, at least for a short time...

Its enough to inspire hope in a browncoat's heart.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #12 of 78 Old 11-11-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

You have way too much common sense to be in this thread:) Let us dream...
Sorry, my bad...wink.gif

Quote:
The thing is, before The Avengers was released, I remember Whedon being asked what he would do if it was a huge smash and he could do anything he wanted. He instantly mentioned Firefly as the one thing he had written he couldn't seem to let go of. And the way Fillion also seems to miss it, bringing it up seemingly every chance he gets. The guy is the star of a long running series but acts like he'd rather be identified with a low watched quickly cancelled series than what he's doing now. Usually an actor tries to distance himeslf from a prior role, afraid they will be typecast. Fillion seems to embrace it. And with his stature now, along with Morena's major role in Homeland, the cast is no longer unknown. And Joss is on top of the hollywood world now, at least for a short time...
Its enough to inspire hope in a browncoat's heart.
Direct-to-Video maybe?

post #13 of 78 Old 11-11-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

:Nah, more likely a $200 million flick that flops miserably. Called The Phantom Audience but becoming more widely known as Whedon's folly, it quickly restores Joss as an obscure cult filmmaker who keeps getting screwed by Fox...sigh. smile.gif

post #14 of 78 Old 11-11-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

Yes but Fox didn't give it a chance. It was interrupted (not consistently shown in the time slot) and shown out of order. I tried to stay with it but it didn't make a lot of sense because they didn't show the first show. Fox treated the show like dirty underwear. Most people I know who love the show got it after the dvd release.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #15 of 78 Old 11-11-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

Yes but Fox didn't give it a chance. It was interrupted (not consistently shown in the time slot) and shown out of order. I tried to stay with it but it didn't make a lot of sense because they didn't show the first show. Fox treated the show like dirty underwear. Most people I know who love the show got it after the dvd release.
The opening program I watched during the series premiere and it was too ridiculous for me to handle.
Nonetheless, out of fairness to the browncoats, I did watch the DVD set (and Serenity) and it was much more watchable.
However, I wouldn't call it great either.

Whedon's mistake, IMO, is he tried to straddle two genres (which worked with Buffy and Angel) and it didn't work out....probably the material itself doesn't lend itself to this approach.
FWIW, I think he would have been better off playing it straight or as a full-on parody.

post #16 of 78 Old 11-11-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The opening program I watched during the series premiere and it was too ridiculous for me to handle.
Nonetheless, out of fairness to the browncoats, I did watch the DVD set (and Serenity) and it was much more watchable.
However, I wouldn't call it great either.
Whedon's mistake, IMO, is he tried to straddle two genres (which worked with Buffy and Angel) and it didn't work out....probably the material itself doesn't lend itself to this approach.
FWIW, I think he would have been better off playing it straight or as a full-on parody.

On behalf of people who really liked the show but are not fanatical enough to be browncoats, I appreciate you giving the show a fair chance. However, I must say that you must have been drinking, depressed or following an election when you watched the show. smile.gif
The two genres is what makes the show really work. Its actually a pretty reasonable view to take of the way that humans would handle the colonization of planets with unfairness, brutality and poor outer planets.
I thought that Serenity was decent but not as good as the series. The characters were quite compelling in the tv show and Malcolm Reynolds is a great character and I can understand why Mr. Fillion still has fond memories of playing that character.
The show had plenty of stories to go, had it caught on and fleshed out the different characters quite well. Whedon had put together one of his best assemble casts. I'm not going to say that it was his best show but it had the best first season of any of his shows.

post #17 of 78 Old 11-11-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

However, I must say that you must have been drinking, depressed or following an election when you watched the show. smile.gif
Drinking?
Too early on the West Coast.
Depressed?
I have pills for that.
Election rejection?
Nah, the best choice won.

Judging Firefly in its entirety, IMO, it is good....just not great.

post #18 of 78 Old 11-11-2012, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Every time I've seen one of those polls where people are asked to rate the best series ever "canceled too soon", 'Firefly' wins, hands down. Every time. Fillian has said he'd try to get out of his 'Castle' contract if he had a chance to inhabit the character of Malcom Reynolds again. For him, it seems to be the role of a lifetime as lonwolf mentions above.

It's a different world now than it was a decade ago. A show pretty much has to open huge to make it. The buzz around 'Firefly' would mean it would open with a big audience -- I don't think 15 million is out of line. Then they'd have to keep or expand it, of course. But everyone I know who's seen it loves it (except oink who's oddly lukewarm wink.gif ). The problem the first time around was nobody saw the opening episode (which wasn't the pilot episode), and those that did had no idea it would come together as a series as well as it did. The last episode - "Objects in Space" - was as great an hour of television as I've ever seen. In the sci-fi world, I'd rank only the BSG opener "33" above it for sheer brilliance.

I know it could work, I just know it! Allow me to tilt at this windmill and imagine a perfect world where the Serenity would fly again. tongue.gif Heck, one more Avengers movie and Joss could finance it himself.
post #19 of 78 Old 11-11-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

But everyone I know who's seen it loves it (except oink who's oddly lukewarm wink.gif
Firefly doesn't raise to the level of Buffy/Angel (IMO).

Quote:
The problem the first time around was nobody saw the opening episode (which wasn't the pilot episode), and those that did had no idea it would come together as a series as well as it did.
Raising hand here....

Quote:
Heck, one more Avengers movie and Joss could finance it himself.
It would be surprising if he did....sometimes it's just best to let things RIP.wink.gif

post #20 of 78 Old 11-11-2012, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Just so oink isn't wallowing in the mud by himself, I'll admit a deep dark secret: I kinda agree with him as far as good but not great. I never got the emotional connection to Firefly that I did with Buffy (which is of course the greatest work of art of the 20th century). Even watched in the proper order Whedon seems tentitive to me, kinda feeling his way into the story and how he wants to tell it. The mix of pathos and humor that has become his trademark didn't quite mesh in Firefly, although by the end of the series it had started to. Objects in Space is some of his best work ever, and I love Serenity.

post #21 of 78 Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Just so oink isn't wallowing in the mud by himself, I'll admit a deep dark secret: I kinda agree with him as far as good but not great. I never got the emotional connection to Firefly that I did with Buffy (which is of course the greatest work of art of the 20th century). Even watched in the proper order Whedon seems tentitive to me, kinda feeling his way into the story and how he wants to tell it. The mix of pathos and humor that has become his trademark didn't quite mesh in Firefly, although by the end of the series it had started to. Objects in Space is some of his best work ever, and I love Serenity.

If there were several seasons of character development, you might have come to appreciate Firefly as much as Buffy and Angel. Both of those shows had a long time to delve deeper. Watching the special, I picked up on some of the reasons that Whedon and the writers held back and also some of the possibilities that could have come. Having said that, I don't see a resurrected series coming, but the possibility of one or more made for tv movies (allowing working actors to keep their day jobs) doesn't seem too far out. I'm also reminded of the old saying, "You can never go back." The actors have aged and a plausible scenario would be difficult, but Whedon is pretty good. Who really knows other than him.
post #22 of 78 Old 11-13-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post

If there were several seasons of character development, you might have come to appreciate Firefly as much as Buffy and Angel. Both of those shows had a long time to delve deeper. Watching the special, I picked up on some of the reasons that Whedon and the writers held back and also some of the possibilities that could have come. quote]

Oh, I totally agree. And of course I blame Fox. smile.gif Whedon has said he had much more freedom to do what he wanted on the WB. Firefly was his first experience with the closer scrunity that a mojor network would have and it probably restricted what he could do, much like it did with Dollhouse.: I'm also aware that there are a lot of Browncoats who could care less for Buffy, and I'm fine with that. In theory I think Firefly could have had a broader appeal than Buffy if it had been allowed to develop properly.

post #23 of 78 Old 11-13-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ okay, what happened there?

post #24 of 78 Old 11-13-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post

If there were several seasons of character development, you might have come to appreciate Firefly as much as Buffy and Angel. Both of those shows had a long time to delve deeper.
True, it is possible.
However, Firefly didn't last.

post #25 of 78 Old 11-13-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^^ okay, what happened there?

Your message got trapped inside the quote. You can edit it and move your post outside the quotes.

And as I said earlier, I thought the first season of Firefly was the best first season of any show Whedon had done. There were plenty of stories (backstories and otherwise) to be told but we will never get there unfortunately except if you are a comic book fan.

post #26 of 78 Old 11-13-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 119
On related note, I saw Avengers on bluray finally and thought it was pretty disappointing. It is a good movie, but I dont get why it did so well or got such rave reviews from nerds. The first hour was pretty slow and there wasn't much pleasure to be had from the assembling of the team. Too much exposition dialogue. The avengers fighting each others didn't feel convincing. Like iron man and Thor beating the crap out of each other and then said, okay, that's enough. Whatever.

Then when things got going I just couldn't get into it. Loki was not all that compelling. The centipede things were slightly silly. I didn't feel like they were in serious danger. More damningly, big piles of steel tearing up a city reminded me too much of Transformers. I thought maybe Hawkeye or one of the heroes would die because it's what JW does, but nope. There was a bit of Wheedon humor here and there, but not much about this movie that felt like a JW movie as opposed to one penned by another competent writer.

Serenity is much better by comparison. The villain, both the system and the man who embodies it, is more compelling, and there is a real idea driving the movie. I feel a lot more invested in the characters.

Maybe that's just the power of the TV series, and people coming to the movie with no prior experience just think it is a decent sci fi action movie.
post #27 of 78 Old 11-13-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

On related note, I saw Avengers on bluray finally and thought it was pretty disappointing. It is a good movie, but I dont get why it did so well or got such rave reviews from nerds. .

??? It got pretty much great reviews from everyone, not just nerds. Other than that though I can understand your objections although I don't share them. I read comics back when The Avengers first started and I remember it was pretty standard for Marvel at that time to have their heros fight and then go on as if nothing had ever happened. I took it as a homage by Whedon to do the same thing and thought it was one of the best parts of the film-made me feel 12 years old again to see Thor and The Hulk go at it. Plus it was the perfect setup for the real battles coming up,

post #28 of 78 Old 11-13-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Then when things got going I just couldn't get into it. Loki was not all that compelling. The centipede things were slightly silly. I didn't feel like they were in serious danger. More damningly, big piles of steel tearing up a city reminded me too much of Transformers

Yup. My thoughts exactly. Suffers the same problem lots of superhero movies do. Crap villains. In that case the combination of the stupid plastic-looking universe of the Thor movie, non-threatening villain and stupid alien weakness which was their undoing undermined a lot of the good that was in that film. Namely everything that wasn't directly involving Loki (apart from the scene with Hulk).

Same can be said of Firefly too. Great characters, poorly though-out premise. But Whedon has always had a problem with the overarching plot. The wrappers have never been as tight as the characters.

post #29 of 78 Old 11-13-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Great characters, poorly though-out premise. But Whedon has always had a problem with the overarching plot. The wrappers have never been as tight as the characters.
Now that I think about it...Whedon's strength IS characters and wit, rather than pure plot.

post #30 of 78 Old 11-13-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:

Now that I think about it...Whedon's strength IS characters and wit, rather than pure plot.

In contrast to most of the genre shows I watch, I find a lot of Whedon's best work is in the episode that wraps in an hour and ignores the arcs in play. Nearly all the most appreciated episodes of Buffy are character episodes or just one concept executed well. That's when he can keep the writing tight and focused. The longer stories or overall mythos I always found weak and the "Big Bad" somewhat silly or ineffectual.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page