The Creeping of Bleeping - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 183 Old Today, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Odds on whether Stephen Colbert will swear and need to be bleeped on "The Late Show." A better question, how many episodes until he needs to be bleeped? Any guesses?

Background

Since the retirement of Leno, the new hosts are now freely swearing in their monologues. Probably the worst in Seth Meyers. He will routinely drop f-bombs on jokes that would not get ANY laughter except for the shock of the f-bomb.

Can anyone explain what is going on? To do so you will have to answer the following almost incredulous U-turn in late night. Steve Allen never swore on air; Jack Paar never swear on air; in over 30 years Johnny Carson never swore on air; in over 20 years Jay Leno never swore on air; to my knowledge in over 30 years David Letterman never swore on air....then you have a neophyte like Meyers would routinely drops f-bombs and other obscenities that are bleeped (for which I find the sound as irritating on fingernails on a chalkboard; e.g. I can hear the noise in a remote bedroom even if I cannot hear the TV, and I can fall asleep watching TV and the bleep will wake me up. WTF does the bleep have to be so invasive?). Fallon, while not as bad a Meyers, has also sworn multiple times on his monologue as has Kimmel. No one seems to notice the change. I mean....from ZERO over 60 years to almost nightly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 183 Old Today, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
Can anyone explain what is going on?
Americans have a juvenile sense of humour. The fact that words get called "_ bombs" at all is a testament to how overreactive the culture is towards taboo language.

We already discussed this only ten posts ago, though.
post #183 of 183 Old Today, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Americans have a juvenile sense of humour. The fact that words get called "_ bombs" at all is a testament to how overreactive the culture is towards taboo language.

We already discussed this only ten posts ago, though.
Right. Been touched on before. Appreciate the comments.

Just curious about Colbert, and anticipating his style on late night. Carson for example had many instances where he could have sworn; e.g., animal crawling on top of his head relieving himself; however, he would make a funny facial expression accompanied by a witty line that would bring down the house, so hilarious that clips are still shown on highlights today. Today's hosts would just utter some salty language to get a laugh, which the viewer would hear as an annoying bleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming