The Creeping of Bleeping - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
post #181 of 208 Old 09-02-2015, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Odds on whether Stephen Colbert will swear and need to be bleeped on "The Late Show." A better question, how many episodes until he needs to be bleeped? Any guesses?

Background

Since the retirement of Leno, the new hosts are now freely swearing in their monologues. Probably the worst in Seth Meyers. He will routinely drop f-bombs on jokes that would not get ANY laughter except for the shock of the f-bomb.

Can anyone explain what is going on? To do so you will have to answer the following almost incredulous U-turn in late night. Steve Allen never swore on air; Jack Paar never swear on air; in over 30 years Johnny Carson never swore on air; in over 20 years Jay Leno never swore on air; to my knowledge in over 30 years David Letterman never swore on air....then you have a neophyte like Meyers would routinely drops f-bombs and other obscenities that are bleeped (for which I find the sound as irritating on fingernails on a chalkboard; e.g. I can hear the noise in a remote bedroom even if I cannot hear the TV, and I can fall asleep watching TV and the bleep will wake me up. WTF does the bleep have to be so invasive?). Fallon, while not as bad a Meyers, has also sworn multiple times on his monologue as has Kimmel. No one seems to notice the change. I mean....from ZERO over 60 years to almost nightly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 208 Old 09-02-2015, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
Can anyone explain what is going on?
Americans have a juvenile sense of humour. The fact that words get called "_ bombs" at all is a testament to how overreactive the culture is towards taboo language.

We already discussed this only ten posts ago, though.
post #183 of 208 Old 09-02-2015, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Americans have a juvenile sense of humour. The fact that words get called "_ bombs" at all is a testament to how overreactive the culture is towards taboo language.

We already discussed this only ten posts ago, though.
Right. Been touched on before. Appreciate the comments.

Just curious about Colbert, and anticipating his style on late night. Carson for example had many instances where he could have sworn; e.g., animal crawling on top of his head relieving himself; however, he would make a funny facial expression accompanied by a witty line that would bring down the house, so hilarious that clips are still shown on highlights today. Today's hosts would just utter some salty language to get a laugh, which the viewer would hear as an annoying bleep.
post #184 of 208 Old 10-01-2015, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Odds on whether Stephen Colbert will swear and need to be bleeped on "The Late Show." A better question, how many episodes until he needs to be bleeped? Any guesses?

Background

Since the retirement of Leno, the new hosts are now freely swearing in their monologues. Probably the worst in Seth Meyers. He will routinely drop f-bombs on jokes that would not get ANY laughter except for the shock of the f-bomb.

Can anyone explain what is going on? To do so you will have to answer the following almost incredulous U-turn in late night. Steve Allen never swore on air; Jack Paar never swear on air; in over 30 years Johnny Carson never swore on air; in over 20 years Jay Leno never swore on air; to my knowledge in over 30 years David Letterman never swore on air....then you have a neophyte like Meyers would routinely drops f-bombs and other obscenities that are bleeped (for which I find the sound as irritating on fingernails on a chalkboard; e.g. I can hear the noise in a remote bedroom even if I cannot hear the TV, and I can fall asleep watching TV and the bleep will wake me up. WTF does the bleep have to be so invasive?). Fallon, while not as bad a Meyers, has also sworn multiple times on his monologue as has Kimmel. No one seems to notice the change. I mean....from ZERO over 60 years to almost nightly.

Well, unfortunately it just took Colbert a few weeks to avoid what Carson and Leno avoided for decades. He had the CEO of Snapchat, and when told he refused to sell Snapchat to Facebook for three billion, Colbert asked if he could see his bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. How freaking annoying. How come Leno, Letterman, O'Brien. and Carson never swore once, and it is daily for today's night talk show hosts? And. please. can the producers not make the censor sound so grating??? I was surprised that on a taped segment of "The Emmys," Ed AASner said jackass that was not bleeped. Another word on a taped segment of the show was bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeped.
post #185 of 208 Old 10-01-2015, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Well, unfortunately it just took Colbert a few weeks to avoid what Carson and Leno avoided for decades. He had the CEO of Snapchat, and when told he refused to sell Snapchat to Facebook for three billion, Colbert asked if he could see his bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. How freaking annoying. How come Leno, Letterman, O'Brien. and Carson never swore once, and it is daily for today's night talk show hosts? And. please. can the producers not make the censor sound so grating??? I was surprised that on a taped segment of "The Emmys," Ed AASner said jackass that was not bleeped. Another word on a taped segment of the show was bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeped.

How come anyone cares in 2015?
joed32 likes this.

Quit failing to flip the switch
post #186 of 208 Old 10-02-2015, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OggideM View Post
How come anyone cares in 2015?
Because the bleeeeeeeep sound is annoying and grating...you like hearing fingernails on a chalkboard 100 times a day?

Why doesn't Conan O'Brian swear in 2015?
post #187 of 208 Old 11-01-2015, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

and the creeping of bleeping now extended to commercials! During world series for Honda Car have comic who lets go of f-bomb and bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepeed out. Enough already. Bleeping in commercials is not even legal in Britain, but the US; just blast the viewers with bleeeeeps all day long. ALso, give them ic feedback in every damn commercial with a mic. Marketers have no imagination?

Last edited by igreg; 11-01-2015 at 09:36 PM.
post #188 of 208 Old 11-01-2015, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Because the bleeeeeeeep sound is annoying and grating...you like hearing fingernails on a chalkboard 100 times a day?

Why doesn't Conan O'Brian swear in 2015?

He is now a role model

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #189 of 208 Old 11-06-2015, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
He is now a role model
I heard Conan swear in his monologue recently; apparently he felt the need to "compete?"
post #190 of 208 Old 11-07-2015, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Recorded Seth Myers to watch his guests Daniel Craig and Regina King. Well, prior to Regina coming out, Myers showed a clip from her HBO series "Leftovers," where she says to some guy something about him beating the c...p out of somebody. Of course, the producers just have to take the one line that has an obscenity in it and then exacerbate the situation by loudly bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoing it out. Go back a decade and when TV shows showed a clip of a film with a swear word they cut it out with silence. Why the change? I feel like Dr. Ben Carson having to ask I want to know, and you should also. By the way, is c...p really need to bleeped out? Is it unacceptable for AVSFORUM. And while I am at it, the media can show somebody getting killed (will have warning), but will still bleeeeeeeep out the swear words. Apparently swear words are more offensive than somebody getting viciously killed. The media is truly screwed up.
post #191 of 208 Old 11-17-2015, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Every time I post the creeping of bleeping is getting worse; new sites; new times; new venues. I was watching Kimmel tonight, and just in ordinary conversation with his guest, Liam Henswortk (I turned on the show just to get a glimpse of Tracee Ellis Ross, but apparently she had already be on), Kimmel swears (and of course bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepeeeeeeeeeeeed) in the course of ordinary conversation; not even to get a laugh. Just incredible. What is next. Children's programming? I would bet so. The producers would probably have teachers lecture kids on naughty words just so they could bleeeeeeeeeeeeep them out. It is a race among the shows and networks for who can get the most bleeeeeps per day. At least change the bleeeeeeeeeeeep to a less offensive noise.

Why is the obnoxious *BLEEP* the standard way to censor cursing on radio/TV? Wouldn't it be easier to just mute for a half second? It seems like the obvious intuitive thing to do and shouldn't require any more editing work than the bleep. I would even expect it to be more effective at it's purpose ("ignoring" the cursing instead of calling attention to it). Does anyone know how blaring off a crazy hysterical *BLEEEEEP* somehow became the industry standard?

Here is the biological reason why beeps are so annoying: http://www.livescience.com/19654-bee...-annoying.html
post #192 of 208 Old 11-17-2015, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

If you really hate them so much, then stop watching late-night shows already. You'll never have to hear a bleep again. Problem solved.
post #193 of 208 Old 11-18-2015, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
If you really hate them so much, then stop watching late-night shows already. You'll never have to hear a bleep again. Problem solved.

Not true. Bleeping has creeped into just about every program. I hear it on HBO, I hear it on "The Smithsonian Channel, I hear it on the local news; I hear it on commercials; I hear it n PBS. All over SNL. All over CNN. Reality TV spawned a lot of it; reality TV is nothing but one big bleeepfest. It invaded prime time just a few years ago and is growing. If you want to avoid bleeps you would have to not watch TV. Just tonight I watch Colbert to see Burt Reynolds, and Colbert, thinking he is witty, says to Burt.....you aref------- Burt Reynolds (followed by great laughter); Burt agrees and says he is f------ Burt Reynolds. Of course, both bleeped out. Even worse was the music act when some sixty -year old wanna be punk artist tries to be tough byswearing before he sings ....twice. And these bleeeeeeeeeeeps are about three times louder as the Reynolds Colbert Bleeps.

Regardless, you arguments lack intellectual thought. By that measure, we should allow smoking in all malls, stores, andsporting venues; if you don't like it, don't go there. I enjoy late night shows and the guests. I have, however, largely giving up watching them. I avoid the monologues,which I loved with Jay Leno. Sometimes I will watch guests with the sound down and use close captioning, although sometimes they do not show the bleeps. Then I will play back the segment to avoid the bleeps. I avoid news clips. I mute any person who starts to raise their voice because I know the bleep is coming. All over daytime TV on the few occasions I am home to watch. And even in the rare cases when a swear words was uttered on TV 15 years ago, it was muted and not bleeped in most cases.

Further, you are ignoring the entire concept. Whyis it happening? Why didn't Carson or Leno or Letterman or Bob Newhart (whohates comics that get laughs from swearing with material that is not clever)ever swear on air? Great talents that did not feel the need to get laughs byswearing. Why is it now all over the place in prime time? Why is it on HBO? Whydo news programs purposely put on interviews with people who swear; forexample, NBC asks a few people about their opinion about something, and theyhave to air the guy who says he thinks it is f----- awesome.

Finally, no need to have the fingers against thechalkboard irritation for the sound. In a typical day there a literally thousandsof bleeps on television.....and it is growing every year. You can see a live murder on TV, but when someone says a swear word while showing the murder, they will bleeeep out the word. Freaking incredible. BBC knows about the irritation; it is not legal to bleep words in commercials.

Last edited by igreg; 11-18-2015 at 02:06 AM.
post #194 of 208 Old 11-18-2015, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Further, you are ignoring the entire concept. Whyis it happening?
No, I'm not, as we've been over this already. Americans have a juvenile sense of humour; that's all there is to it. Just as a ten-year-old giggles when somebody passes gas, Americans for some reason are incapable of growing up and instead say, "Hee hee! You said a bad word!" when somebody cusses. If it didn't get laughs, comedians wouldn't do it. It is easily possible to avoid bleeps if you only watch TV dramas and not what passes for variety shows these days.
post #195 of 208 Old 12-14-2015, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Continuing my recording on the ever increasing creeping of bleeping. Tonight during a classy, smooth telecast of Adele, NBC has the audacity to blast the viewer with a loud high-pitch BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP when Adele uses an off-color word.. Really NBC? Really? Please, get some class.
post #196 of 208 Old 12-15-2015, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
NBC has the audacity to blast the viewer with a loud high-pitch BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP when Adele uses an off-color word.. Really NBC? Really? Please, get some class.
I would argue that the "classy" option would be to not use profanity at all, so what NBC (and more accurately, the FCC) should really do is accept the lack of class in modern speech and stop censoring words that most people use all the time.
post #197 of 208 Old 12-30-2015, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, getting so tired of networks deliberately trying their upmost to find any method possible to find obscenities and loudly bleep them out with high-pitch noise. I was watching the CBS news this morning when they interviewed a passenger about delays (almost changed the channel because I could foresee a possible obscenity and bleeeeeeeeeeeep) and, of course, she swore, and CBS bleeped it out. Now, CBS probably did dozens of interviews and probably only a few had obscenities....probably only one, but that is the interview they chose to show. Please, whoever is making these decisions, if you are reading this, grow up.
post #198 of 208 Old 12-31-2015, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Unfortunately, society has just become far more accepting of bad behavior and boorishness than it used to be. And while the FCC still has a tiny bit of power, much of its power has been curtailed by Congress and by the federal courts. Over the past forty years, there has been an increasing movement toward an "anything goes" mentality. And one of the ways that the people who have this attitude cope with the few existing restrictions is to deliberately utter words that will have to be bleeped. They think they're being cool, but they come across as merely sophomoric.
post #199 of 208 Old 01-01-2016, 02:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 4896 Post(s)
Liked: 2714
I should have been reading this thread LONG ago....

RIP --- The National Geographic Society (Jan. 1888 - Sept. 2015)
post #200 of 208 Old 01-16-2016, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Latest blatant obnoxious incident. While watching "Red Eye" of Fox ( I also watch CNN), Jo remarks to Ted Cruz's comment about "New York Values" saying that the remark was a F----- S---- thing to say. And I was about to give Fox credit for actually muting out her obscenities. I think it is only fair given the criticism I have made in the past.

But about 8 minutes later one of the male members lets out an obscenity and there is the loudest freaking bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep I perhaps have ever heard. My ears are still ringing. I mean, you mute the first string of obscenities and then let loose with as freaking loud and high-pitched bleep as you can give a few minutes later. It is beyond ridiculous. You literally cannot watch (almost) anything on television today without an obscenity.

The bleeping is no longer creeping; it has arrived in full force, and only increasing. Even Trump is being bleeping, not to mention Obama and Joe Biden.

Please, either have enough dignity not to utter obscenities. If you must, then please mute them. If you cannot do that, then please have a less high-pitched grating sound.

Do any broadcast engineers read this forum? I would appreciate a reply. If you would like an alternative sound, I would be more than happy to supply you with one. Thank you.

(Note to moderators: Not sure what is happening, but when I typed my messages they look fine, but upon saving the resulting text ends up garbled, eliminating spaces between some words, and changing the font. It took a lot of editing to get my message readable. Thanks.)

Last edited by igreg; 01-16-2016 at 01:53 AM.
post #201 of 208 Old 01-16-2016, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, your message is completely unreadable on the dark forum theme, because you forced the font colour to black. Do not compose messages in Microsoft Word and then paste them into the post area, as doing so causes the forum to use Word's formatting. You need to either type your responses directly in the browser window or at least use a text editor such as Notepad that doesn't apply formatting to your text.
post #202 of 208 Old 01-17-2016, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
(Note to moderators: Not sure what is happening, but when I typed my messages they look fine, but upon saving the resulting text ends up garbled, eliminating spaces between some words, and changing the font. It took a lot of editing to get my message readable. Thanks.)
Where are you typing the messages? Is it in the message editor?

If you are using some other editor, it may help, once the text is composed, to paste it into Notepad (or some other pure text editor), and then copy from Notepad (or a pure text editor) into the message editor. The round-trip through Notepad should strip the word processor codes that confuse the message editor.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, PC (Windows 7), Xfinity Internet (160Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola DCX3501, Xfinity faceplate: RNG200N), Xfinity cable (Digital Preferred Plus), Sony BDP-S185 Blu-ray player.
post #203 of 208 Old 01-17-2016, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum
I don't think Leno even uses the words "heck" or "darn" anymore.

No.... Its politically correct Garbage... Nothing worth watching anymore..
post #204 of 208 Old 02-06-2016, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Trump intentionally drops an F-Bomb that needs to be bleeped, and it's not the first time he has had to been bleeped. I think he is mentally ill. God help our country if he is ever elected president.
Nayan likes this.

Last edited by igreg; 02-06-2016 at 02:28 AM.
post #205 of 208 Old 02-06-2016, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 401
"American Crime" on ABC not only bleeps the word but the blanks the screen. Very, very silly.
post #206 of 208 Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Totally bloody stupid!!
post #207 of 208 Unread Today, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, today Trump say the P- word; never heard it referred to it as the P-word, but it is another word for cat. So the commentator's are arguing about the appropriateness of the comment, and it becomes quite heated. They go to the video; I am expecting a bleep (don't like the sound), so I mute and watch the close captioning - not only do they not place bleep over the p-word, but they eliminate the whole sentence! Those relying on close captioning would have no clue how it really went down. So now there is editing on close captioning?

That being said, you cannot say the p-word on television? I know CNN can say it because it is not under the auspicious of the FCC. But networks just LOVE to play and replay obscenities so they can bleep out the words. Don Lemon made an astute comment where he more or less mitigated Trump's statement stating the standards of vulgarity in language on television have changed dramatically, even in the last two years. Yep, TV is one big bleepfest now. The bleeping is no longer creeping. It is flowing. I started to watch SNL and they had a skit with Bernie Sanders/Larry David. And the bleeps started to fly; I went into my master bedroom to watch something else but could still hear the bleeps. I swear there must have been two dozen of them. State of today's comedy. And news. And now politicians. Suggestion: Replace the irritating bleep sound (who likes to hear fingernails on a chalkboard, especially with a home theater system), with a sound similar to what the networks due to tell a politician in the debates that his or her time is up?

On a lighter note, here is the classic Johnny Carson clip where the P-word is used, and not bleeped out. Enjoy.

post #208 of 208 Unread Today, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, today Trump say the P- word; never heard it referred to it as the P-word, but it is another word for cat. So the commentator's are arguing about the appropriateness of the comment, and it becomes quite heated. They go to the video; I am expecting a bleep (don't like the sound), so I mute and watch the close captioning - not only do they not place bleep over the p-word, but they eliminate the whole sentence! Those relying on close captioning would have no clue how it really went down. So now there is editing on close captioning?

That being said, you cannot say the p-word on television? I know CNN can say it because it is not under the auspicious of the FCC. But networks just LOVE to play and replay obscenities so they can bleep out the words. Don Lemon made an astute comment where he more or less mitigated Trump's statement stating the standards of vulgarity in language on television have changed dramatically, even in the last two years. Yep, TV is one big bleepfest now. The bleeping is no longer creeping. It is flowing. I started to watch SNL and they had a skit with Bernie Sanders/Larry David. And the bleeps started to fly; I went into my master bedroom to watch something else but could still hear the bleeps. I swear there must have been two dozen of them. State of today's comedy. And news. And now politicians. Suggestion: Replace the irritating bleep sound (who likes to hear fingernails on a chalkboard, especially with a home theater system), with a sound similar to what the networks due to tell a politician in the debates that his or her time is up?

On a lighter note, here is the classic Johnny Carson clip where the P-word is used, and not bleeped out. It would definitely be bleeped out today. Does that make any sense? Enjoy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page