post #301 of 784 Old 03-12-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

My only guess is that the character demonstrated the willingness of the followers to literally give their lives to Joe. I thought this episode was an improvement (damning it with faint praise) - perhaps it's turning a corner for the better.

It definitely had a better vibe this week. Not the storyline but rather the storytelling. For me it flowed much better... I think the sacrifice served two purposes... a (not so subtle) reminder as to how evil he is and the need his followers have to serve him. Such to justify their actions and heighten the tension.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 784 Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 133
If the higher ups suddenly put me in charge of this case, I'd take a look at the previous leader and try to avoid repeating her mistakes.

"Lets see, Parker came in and basically said, I'm in charge and I'm going to ignore Ryan and do things my way, and that has been a disaster". So lets try this: "I'm Donovan, the new guy, and I'm in charge, see?" "We're going to do things my way from here on out and I'm going to ignore Ryan..."

Btw, how did the followers know that Weston was going to return to the hotel early?

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #303 of 784 Old 03-13-2013, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Once again, the person that leaves Ryan's side must go for coffee before they decide to circle back.....he has the time to sneak in the place - empty his clip while others are shooting at him....all those shots and the FBI woman is still nowhere close? ...and then she hits the SUV bumper 3 times as it pulls away. As someone said above - first thing they should have done was puncture 2 or 3 tires on the SUV before splitting up.
post #304 of 784 Old 03-13-2013, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

Btw, how did the followers know that Weston was going to return to the hotel early?

Sent from my Nexus 7

A mole in the FBI?
post #305 of 784 Old 03-13-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

A mole in the FBI?
Of course, and it's likely the new guy in charge...
post #306 of 784 Old 03-13-2013, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
No, its the girl FBI agent. She has made sure someone was watching Ryan at all times, and she let the followers drive right by her after the shootout. And she was born into a cult.
post #307 of 784 Old 03-13-2013, 05:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by scipper77 View Post

No, its the girl FBI agent. She has made sure someone was watching Ryan at all times, and she let the followers drive right by her after the shootout. And she was born into a cult.

Nope, "girl FBI agent" Debra Parker is not a Follower. Remember she's on the kill board back at Follower-Mansion along with the rest of the surviving FBI team, minus "new guy in charge" Special Agent Nick Donovan whom the Followers don't yet know about.
post #308 of 784 Old 03-13-2013, 05:57 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Sent from my Nexus 7

First thing I, and probably every single person watching, thought. Yet, not one character mentions any concern over it. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif
post #309 of 784 Old 03-13-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bull View Post

First thing I, and probably every single person watching, thought. Yet, not one character mentions any concern over it. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

My guess is they were just waiting for him to get back. Everybody has to go home for shower & sleep sometime. Once he was on his way, the surveillance team phoned the kidnap team so they could get ready to grab him up. The Followers are a well-oiled machine - sometimes. wink.gif
post #310 of 784 Old 03-13-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Nope, "girl FBI agent" Debra Parker is not a Follower. Remember she's on the kill board back at Follower-Mansion along with the rest of the surviving FBI team, minus "new guy in charge" Special Agent Nick Donovan whom the Followers don't yet know about.

Not a kill board. More like a flowchart showing the hierarchy established within the FBI investigation team. I know it is all speculation but my gut says its the chick. Of course my gut said Weston before this week.
post #311 of 784 Old 03-13-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My guess is they were just waiting for him to get back. Everybody has to go home for shower & sleep sometime. Once he was on his way, the surveillance team phoned the kidnap team so they could get ready to grab him up.The Followers are a well-oiled machine - sometimess. wink.gif
That's because the true leader of the followers isn't really Joe.

It's actually this well oiled machine:

post #312 of 784 Old 03-13-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Well at least Joe has lost 6 followers, some of them elite, like Charlie, all because of his obession of having his wife back, and in the end what do he did? sleep with the chick anyway.

I think the only way they could catch him is use the wife as bait.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #313 of 784 Old 03-13-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Well at least Joe has lost 6 followers, some of them elite, like Charlie, all because of his obession of having his wife back, and in the end what do he did? sleep with the chick anyway.
Except they made sure we saw he has about 30 others stacked up like glazed-eyed firewood before that happened, so it's kind of like dropping a few cookies on the floor out of an entire batch. I got no sense Joe's organization was negatively affected at all.

It's just like seeing Arnold being stamped out a bunch of times in a Terminator factory at the beginning of T2.

In other words, they'll make more whenever the plot calls for it.
Quote:
I think the only way they could catch him is use the wife as bait.
...and the FBI would screw it up somehow as a mole pops up and takes her away as Hardy watches helplessly.

But....

....in an exciting plot twist, Mom will band together with the kid to make their escape, taking out the one and only follower guarding them with a snow globe to the head...only to be captured by the road side as they attempt to flag down what looks like a kindly old farmer in a beat up pickup...who, strangly, has a live raven perched on his shoulder...
post #314 of 784 Old 03-13-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I just wonder where the money came from for the mansion. Has to be at least $2M.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #315 of 784 Old 03-13-2013, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 122
"girl FBI agent" is too obvious, for too many reasons... so I believe at some point doubt will be cast upon her and it will lead to something bad happening because people doubted her.

The new guy in charge is a little too on the nose too... he sends Weston home early, Weston gets nabbed. That's WAY too easy...

IF we have seen the mole, my guess would be on the other girl... the one sitting and usually working with Weston. My money would be on her, because she doesn't get a lot of screen time BUT she gets just enough so that we know she is there every week.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #316 of 784 Old 03-13-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

I just wonder where the money came from for the mansion. Has to be at least $2M.
They probably killed the owners and moved in.

Heck, they might be still there...their bodies being used as marionettes for Joe's amusement.
post #317 of 784 Old 03-14-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Why wouldn't the owners be Followers? Everyone else in the country appears to be.
post #318 of 784 Old 03-14-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Yeah it's more likely that the owners are followers, and maybe the whole town is full of followers, they have the "Sheriff" leading that pack and recruiting all over town, so no one blows the whistle

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #319 of 784 Old 03-14-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bull View Post

My guess is they were just waiting for him to get back. Everybody has to go home for shower & sleep sometime. Once he was on his way, the surveillance team phoned the kidnap team so they could get ready to grab him up. The Followers are a well-oiled machine - sometimes. wink.gif

I don't buy that. If they were watching him, it would have been smarter to pull him over while driving back to the hotel. Not only would they have no idea where he was nabbed, the hotel likely had other FBI agents staying there making it much riskier.

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #320 of 784 Old 03-14-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't buy that. If they were watching him, it would have been smarter to pull him over while driving back to the hotel. Not only would they have no idea where he was nabbed, the hotel likely had other FBI agents staying there making it much riskier.

Sent from my Nexus 7

[yoda] And that is why you fail. [/yoda] Clearly, you're not a Follower. tongue.gif
post #321 of 784 Old 03-15-2013, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I think sometimes the problems people have with this show are simply a matter of perspective.

Since it is nearly NCAA Tourney time, here is my easiest/favorite example.

68 teams invited to the tourney. You have to win 6 games (7 if you come from one of those first 8 who play early rounds) in order to win the championship. At the beginning of the tourney, that is a daunting thing. Sure, some teams have more confidence than others... but for any specific team you can point to, especially in a year where many of the top teams have 2-3 game losing streaks... it is hard to say it is likely for your specific team to be the one who wins those 6 games in a row and takes the crown.

BUT

At the end of the tourney... one team will have done the unlikely. One team will have one 6 games in a row. Another will have won 5 and then not made that final game. So when you look back, and that one team has won 6 games in a row... maybe several were won by crazy last-second shots that you didn't believe went in at the time... and it all makes sense.

I think some are watching the Following and not seeing the big picture.

For the larger plot of the show, presumably Joe loses and the FBI eventually wins... we'll get there. but for right now, Joe has been playing in the tourney for years... we don't know how many stumbles along the way before he was ready to kick things off... before he had just the right people in the right places ready to go... we're seeing the "plan" unfold now, without seeing the early rounds of the tourney that led to here.

We don't see people taking regular meals or bathroom breaks, but accept that the characters must be doing these things... we didn't see all the trial and error of Joe building up his following... and maybe we never will. In my mind, I accept that he has been in jail for years and setting up a lot of stuff all this time... so I'm thinking at least some parts of his plan were proven over time before putting the big plan in motion.

The FBI wasn't spending the last several years planning to deal with this massive Cult of Joe... so they are going to be behind for a while. That works for me.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #322 of 784 Old 03-15-2013, 04:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ Agree with all of that. Joe is the offense, Ryan & the FBI are the defense. They have to react to what he does, and they're always going to be a step behind. Until they're not; and we're a long way from there.

Really, people tend to overthink shows like this. wink.gif
post #323 of 784 Old 03-15-2013, 05:58 AM

I like how the commercial says "Only seven more episodes left". Isn't that like half a season to go?
post #324 of 784 Old 03-15-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I'm going to stick with this until the end, but if they try to drag this into another season then I'm done. It's just gotten beyond stupid at this point.
post #325 of 784 Old 03-15-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

I'm going to stick with this until the end, but if they try to drag this into another season then I'm done. It's just gotten beyond stupid at this point.

It's been renewed for a 2nd season already. Because of the cast I'm toughing the show out for this season (maybe) but after that I'm done. The albeit unintended comedic value in this fiasco wears thin.
post #326 of 784 Old 03-15-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

It's been renewed for a 2nd season already. Because of the cast I'm toughing the show out for this season (maybe) but after that I'm done. The albeit unintended comedic value in this fiasco wears thin.

Every week I flip a coin as to whether I'm keep going or not. The only thing keeping me going is Kevin Bacon and the hope that the nanny dies in some horrible and awesome way.

At this point, I'm not expecting the kid to get out of captivity any time soon. The cliff hanger for next season will probably be him being threatened in a standoff with Hardy and Joe.
post #327 of 784 Old 03-15-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

The cliff hanger for next season will probably be him being threatened in a standoff with Hardy and Joe.

My guess is they will resolve this season (completely). Sure they could drag it on but frankly I'll care zero about the kid (or pretty much anyone) if they drag it out past this season. A reboot (even current story line related) would be much better. Such as him/them hunting down the mole or some such. The cat and mouse chase hasn't played well enough to drag out much longer... its already beginning to feel like reruns..  

post #328 of 784 Old 03-15-2013, 01:05 PM

My guess is that with the tension between Joe and Roderick, they will get Joe but Roderick will live to carry on Joes work next season. Otherwise how will the second season still be about "The Following"?. Of course that's just a plot line I am pulling out of thin air.
post #329 of 784 Old 03-15-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
I see Joe losing control over Roderick & a power struggle ensues , I feel the writing will tighten up on the next season as well . BUT really I am finding I am leaning toward a disappointing view in the show , I had higher hopes for the show at 1st but now that a 2nd season is on maybe they can pull in the obvious weak areas & buck up on the plot & writing

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #330 of 784 Old 03-16-2013, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

I see Joe losing control over Roderick & a power struggle ensues , I feel the writing will tighten up on the next season as well . BUT really I am finding I am leaning toward a disappointing view in the show , I had higher hopes for the show at 1st but now that a 2nd season is on maybe they can pull in the obvious weak areas & buck up on the plot & writing
That depends on the ratings.

The show appears to be doing well, so there's little motivation to change tactics.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page