post #361 of 784 Old 03-20-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

Couple decent moments this time....Hardy shooting the blond before she finishes her sentence, and talking to Joe "Sorry about your folks - they're kinda.......dead".....and although it took the rest of the Feebs a long time to find Hardy in the "house of plastic" at least they got there this time before it was all over.
The fact that they only send in 2 or 3 Feebs at a time is explained by the recent budget cuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 784 Old 03-20-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Actually, this made sense to me. He goes to a hospital, the FBI descend on him immediately. He is in no condition to escape... they might question him and he might give up info, especially if on drugs to reduce pain after surgery... and he doesn't want to betray the group. Also, he wanted to help Jacob make his first kill... it was a strangely romantic gesture for a show like this, but I think that was what it was... a gift he was giving to Jacob so that Jacob would become who he thought he had the potential to be.
Nevermind the fact that the Feebs failed to keep an eye on the family vacation house, even though they were supposedly watching his parents 24/7. Must be those budget cuts.
post #363 of 784 Old 03-20-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Hardy finally shot someone quickly. I guess he did last week but this time just seemed better.

Unless the nail gun had the safety cheated, I'm not sure how she managed to shoot Hardy. I assume the Paslode guns work the same as compressed air ones do. Now when she was holding against the girls head, that's a different matter. Just a minor nit. Other than that I thought this was one of the better episodes.
When we weren't looking she loaded the nail gun with special nails manufactured at The Following compound. Those nails were not susceptible to the safety. Incidentally, the person who makes these nails is also an expert computer hacker, with the ability to hack into the FBI phone lines and find out the county where the wife is staying. He is also the person who has rigged all of the compound's phones to protect them from detection. Luckily they had him around, what with the other computer guy giving up his life for the greater good.
post #364 of 784 Old 03-20-2013, 07:33 AM

Liked: 13
Just for the record. With a nail gun the plunger drives the nails into the wood, not there own momentum. I doubt you could do much damage from across the room. At best it would be like me throwing nails at you really hard by hand. Pressing the gun against the girls head, that should work.
post #365 of 784 Old 03-20-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by scipper77 View Post

Just for the record. With a nail gun the plunger drives the nails into the wood, not there own momentum. I doubt you could do much damage from across the room. At best it would be like me throwing nails at you really hard by hand. Pressing the gun against the girls head, that should work.
Not to mention, most nail guns now have a mechanism that flips the nail if it doesn't strike anything by the time it leaves the gun, so even if you disabled the safety that keeps you from firing it when it's not pressed against something, the nail would tumble and likely not even hit you with the pointy end. Even without the flipper, the lack of any sort of rifling would mean the nail is not going to fly straight for very far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #366 of 784 Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Two less "elite" followers down, one caught, Joe is surely losing some people fast, but as he laughs that it was worth it to teach Hardy a lesson.

Again, Joe's arrogance will be his undoing...

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #367 of 784 Old 03-20-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV 
Not to mention, most nail guns now have a mechanism that flips the nail if it doesn't strike anything by the time it leaves the gun, so even if you disabled the safety that keeps you from firing it when it's not pressed against something, the nail would tumble and likely not even hit you with the pointy end. Even without the flipper, the lack of any sort of rifling would mean the nail is not going to fly straight for very far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M 
When we weren't looking she loaded the nail gun with special nails manufactured at The Following compound. Those nails were not susceptible to the safety.

Apparently either/both the special nails or the nail gun itself were of the same make/model used in Lethal Weapon 2, which I was instantly reminded of the moment Hardy took a nail to the forearm from 8-10 feet away. I believe it was the now-discontinued Makita "DeathHammer".

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #368 of 784 Old 03-20-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Apparently either/both the special nails or the nail gun itself were of the same make/model used in Lethal Weapon 2, which I was instantly reminded of the moment Hardy took a nail to the forearm from 8-10 feet away. I believe it was the now-discontinued Makita "DeathHammer".
If I remember correctly, Danny Glover had the nail gun pressed against the guy through the plastic sheeting. Even if he didn't have the tip fully pressed, LW2 was made in 1989. The nail gun could easily be old enough to not have all the current safety features.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #369 of 784 Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

If I remember correctly, Danny Glover had the nail gun pressed against the guy through the plastic sheeting. Even if he didn't have the tip fully pressed, LW2 was made in 1989. The nail gun could easily be old enough to not have all the current safety features.

Sort of.....but then again OSHA laws regarding such tools were already in place in 1989

Still, having a dad who was a general contractor for decades that I spent several summers working with.....I remember his watching LW2 years ago & commenting even then that "nail guns don't work exactly like that". That and the fact that said nail gun - as well as the one we saw, IIRC, in The Following - were PNEUMATIC tools. There are gas powered & even electric nail guns - neither being discussed here/seen were such things. Neither Prof. Joe's whackjob follower nor Det Murtaugh had their pneumatic models connected to air compressors. Hence my calling bulls**t.

Not that I cannot disconnect logic for a moment while watching a TV show or movie, though....

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #370 of 784 Old 03-20-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
There are propane & butane powered nail guns that can & will stick a nail into a board from a few feet away by disabling the safety devices , they just had a local guy here shoot one 6" nail into his brain by dropping a self powered nail gun . I remember pissing off a roofer once & he was shooting nails at me from the top of a 2 story house & I was in the street , I remember hearing,seeing them bouncing off the asphalt around me .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #371 of 784 Old 03-20-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Actually, this made sense to me. He goes to a hospital, the FBI descend on him immediately. He is in no condition to escape... they might question him and he might give up info, especially if on drugs to reduce pain after surgery... and he doesn't want to betray the group. Also, he wanted to help Jacob make his first kill... it was a strangely romantic gesture for a show like this, but I think that was what it was... a gift he was giving to Jacob so that Jacob would become who he thought he had the potential to be.
Nevermind the fact that the Feebs failed to keep an eye on the family vacation house, even though they were supposedly watching his parents 24/7. Must be those budget cuts.

And failed to follow the mom when she left said house to get to the 2nd home

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
post #372 of 784 Old 03-22-2013, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Finally got caught up on the shows. Ugh. So the blond with the pony tail. She was present during the beating of the FBI kid, she saw Hardy come in and shoot everyone, killing some of them. Then when she is face to face with him she starts to say he doesn't have the balls to shoot her. Really, him killing your fellow members wasn't a clue??? Then the killer with the nail gun (not to mention the insane inaccuracy of how a nail gun works) has half her body exposed and he doesn't shoot her? Don't tell me its because they are so inaccurate etc. etc. and in real life you can't gurantee hitting, etc. he shot the lady out front just fine from more of a distance. So many things to nit pick at. Getting more and more frustrated.

post #373 of 784 Old 03-22-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Well it was a neat demonstration of how to disarm a foe without firing a shot... but being done a lot on movies/TV

post #374 of 784 Old 03-22-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Finally got caught up on the shows. Ugh. So the blond with the pony tail. She was present during the beating of the FBI kid, she saw Hardy come in and shoot everyone, killing some of them. Then when she is face to face with him she starts to say he doesn't have the balls to shoot her. Really, him killing your fellow members wasn't a clue??? Then the killer with the nail gun (not to mention the insane inaccuracy of how a nail gun works) has half her body exposed and he doesn't shoot her? Don't tell me its because they are so inaccurate etc. etc. and in real life you can't gurantee hitting, etc. he shot the lady out front just fine from more of a distance. So many things to nit pick at. Getting more and more frustrated.
Is it really nit picking when this stuff is obvious to the average viewer?

Here's the problem with this show-it takes itself so damn seriously. Meanwhile, the audience can't take it seriously due to so many unbelievable (and sometimes downright idiotic) moments. Throw in some levity now and then, maybe a nod and a wink to the audience in regard to the absurdities, if not adding outright laugh out loud moments. Some creative people are great at including humor while keeping a dark overall tone (David Lynch, Coen Bros, etc.) Unfortunately the people in charge of this show don't possess that kind of talent.
post #375 of 784 Old 03-22-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

Is it really nit picking when this stuff is obvious to the average viewer? NO IT IS NOT

Here's the problem with this show-it takes itself so damn seriously. Meanwhile, the audience can't take it seriously due to so many unbelievable (and sometimes downright idiotic) moments. Throw in some levity now and then, maybe a nod and a wink to the audience in regard to the absurdities, if not adding outright laugh out loud moments. Some creative people are great at including humor while keeping a dark overall tone (David Lynch, Coen Bros, etc.) Unfortunately the people in charge of this show don't possess that kind of talent.

You just described "Justified". And in the latest episode just when you thought there'd be a bloodbath gunfight, there wasn't. With the Followings stellar cast I expected far, far better writing.
post #376 of 784 Old 03-22-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Well it was a neat demonstration of how to disarm a foe without firing a shot... but being done a lot on movies/TV
Best example ever of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adnXzutxWcQ

What makes it better is when they go after him later "to ask him how he did it"... wink.gif

post #377 of 784 Old 03-22-2013, 06:01 PM

Liked: 10
Did anyone catch the announcement at the end of this weeks show; just before the coming attractions? It was something about free "stuff" but there was conversation in my house and I missed it. BTW I enjoyed the spear gun action in the diner and how no one intervened as the 2 female followers sauntered out. And thanks for all the tips about the use of nail guns "properly" to inflict damage (JK)

Thanks Leebo, I was hoping for a Following tee shirt

post #378 of 784 Old 03-22-2013, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josea View Post

Did anyone catch the announcement at the end of this weeks show; just before the coming attractions? It was something about free "stuff" but there was conversation in my house and I missed it. BTW I enjoyed the spear gun action in the diner and how no one intervened as the 2 female followers sauntered out. And thanks for all the tips about the use of nail guns "properly" to inflict damage (JK)

Yes. FOX is sponsoring free screenwriting classes. Anyone who completes the course gets their own pilot.

Jarod, hence my suggestion they start calling Joe Dr. Evil. And if they can find a little follower, they can call him Joe Jr.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Josea likes this.
post #379 of 784 Old 03-23-2013, 04:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

And if they can find a little follower, they can call him Joe Jr.
You mean find someone like...Joe Jr. to be Joe Jr.? He's even already at the house and everything...

I know he's been off for a while, but I assume he's still around somewhere - just not getting paid...

post #380 of 784 Old 03-24-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have to laugh at all the white knights for this show saying the haters should just move on and not comment. I for one actually appreciated it. Whenever I am on the fence about a show, I try to read a thread like this to see if I am missing something. I thought the show had a good premise, but has been poorly executed. My best friend thought it would have been great as 10 episode mini series. I kind of agree. Once it was picked up, I knew the writing was on the wall for me.

So, I am out. I won't bother the fanboys here. If you like it, then great. In the end, I found it stupid.

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #381 of 784 Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

I have to laugh at all the white knights for this show saying the haters should just move on and not comment. I for one actually appreciated it. Whenever I am on the fence about a show, I try to read a thread like this to see if I am missing something. I thought the show had a good premise, but has been poorly executed. My best friend thought it would have been great as 10 episode mini series. I kind of agree. Once it was picked up, I knew the writing was on the wall for me.

So, I am out. I won't bother the fanboys here. If you like it, then great. In the end, I found it stupid.

i'm sticking this season out to enjoy the ludicrous mind boggling stupid developments. It's unintentionally hilarious. Fast Forward really helps. Parts of the last episode and the one with Jack held captive and playing mind games with his captives showed what the series could be if well executed. Too bad it's an epic fail overall. Like with the Rosie Larsen murder series, The Killing, I'll finish Season One and then bow out.

Your point about reading all viewpoints to judge a show to decide if you'll watch is well taken. these thread are helpful there. What I would not do is join a 2nd season thread to bitch about a show that I didn't like in Season One such as The Killing.
post #382 of 784 Old 03-26-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey, FBI, this is how you disable a vehicle so you won't be followed/get away....

I thought the Zayas character was a goner for sure, but I think this is a one episode stint (he must be very busy filming Dexter)

What I didn't get is that the 2 perps were surrounding the House, and a few seconds later they were on the car waiting for Claire, like they telephatically told her to come there..

The whole Jacob stuff had me in yawns

post #383 of 784 Old 03-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have hung in there and even slightly enjoyed, despite the silliness of the show, the first few episodes. I have to confess that last night's episode pretty much did me in. I mean, c'mon, seriously? Your first reaction when the wife shows up OUTSIDE of the room that you told her to barricade herself in is not to take her right back up there, tie her butt up and possibly even cold **** her for her own good? And Ryan's former partner - "hey I surprised one of the guys, why don't I just stand out here in the moonlight so that the others can see me and shoot me?" It would have completely spoiled the script if Ryan's former partner had gone back into the house into the dark to wait for the next round of attacks. You should be DEFENDING your position, not going on the offensive here.

I almost threw something at my tv last night. I was really hoping that they would take out Roderick to somewhat unhinge Joe - three failures AND losing Roderick. That would sting a bit.

Instead we get more stupidity ladled upon stupidity.

/rant over

The only good part of last night was the twist at the end. Didn't see that coming, and it's the only thing that will make me watch next week - to see how she will come back to Ryan and what Joe does from there.
post #384 of 784 Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting tacting recruiting Ryan's former girlfriend, or was she recruited before and sent to Ryan to meet/date him?

post #385 of 784 Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

When the bad guys show up at your safehouse hotel room and have "mini-uzi's"....I don't think it's a good idea to put a doorknob crutch up AND stand behind said door with your handgun! Did that Marshal have a red shirt on?

I enjoy this show for what it is....an escape for an hour on a Monday night (commercial free thanks to the geniusity of the modern day HD-DVR) and a chance to laugh at what new silliness will ensue as America's good guys try to catch the biggest, baddest cult leader since Tony Robbins!

smile.gif
post #386 of 784 Old 03-26-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

How about a drinking game? everytime the Feds screw up, take a drink!

post #387 of 784 Old 03-26-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 632
All I know is if I'm an FBI agent and they assign me Claire protection duty, I'm calling in sick.
post #388 of 784 Old 03-26-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I was just going to post the same as above.. Don't stand behind a door with 2 men with Mini-Uzis on the other side..eek.gif Also Ryan's ex-FBI friend couldn't throw on a bullet proof vest? Is this series a comedy or drama?

post #389 of 784 Old 03-26-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
I am sure that every script has a boilerplate at the top on page that reads:

Rule 1: Under no circumstances should a good guys aim their firearms the bad guys neck, head or groin rather than the body armor (AKA sweet spot). Aim for the lower leg or arm. Depending on story requirements a kill may be allowed.

Rule 2: If a fallen bad guy possesses a superior firearm to yours leave it in place. Power-ups are not allowed!
post #390 of 784 Old 03-26-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Lots of words and a poll on the stupidity of last night's episode-
http://www.tv.com/news/the-following-guilt-review-youve-really-outdone-yourselves-136428152661/
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page