" The Following " on FOX - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 784 Old 02-14-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Somebody in that 3some will flip soon and take out one of them.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 784 Old 02-14-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Somebody in that 3some will flip soon and take out one of them.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Please let it be the girl that goes. I find her annoying as hell.
post #183 of 784 Old 02-18-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 442
From Vulture,
Quote:
The Following’s James Purefoy on Kissing Kevin Bacon and Violence on TV
By Denise Martin

In the Fox thriller The Following, James Purefoy plays Edgar Allen Poe literalist and serial killer Joe Carroll, a man who in the series’ first episode removed the eyeballs of his victim and strung up her corpse like a side of beef. While promoting the show on a panel last month, he and The Following’s creative team were hit with a barrage of questions about the level of gore on the show and being accountable in a post-Newton world. He later told Vulture that he found the discussion superficial. “It’s intellectually poor and substandard because it's inflammatory, it's tabloid-esque, it's easy,” he said. Purefoy, who also starred in HBO’s graphic soap opera Rome, expanded on that as well as the research he did to play the show’s Über-villain, whom he claims could survive the season. He also told us what it was like to kiss Kevin Bacon.

What do you make about the amount of violence on the show?
I'm surprised that in a society, in a culture that's been watching violence on film, television, and stage for two and a half thousand years, anyone brings it up anymore. One woman asked [series creator Kevin Williamson], “How do you come up with all those ways of killing people?” Has she never seen King Lear, where a man has his eyes pulled out in front of the audience? She never had seen Titus Andronicus, where a woman is made to eat a pie with her own sick children in it? The very idea, it's just preposterous, to tell you the truth.

The idea that —
That violence on television, film, or in video games has any effect whatsoever. I am absolutely as appalled as anybody else by the massacres that happen in this country. I really am. But [violence on TV] is a smokescreen, an excuse. The situation is much more complex than people watching violence in entertainment. These programs are seen all over the world and it’s only in this country that these kind of things are happening with such alarming regularity.

Let’s talk about the show itself. When you signed on, how long did you think Joe Carroll would last on the show?
When you sign up for a show in the United States, it's six or seven years, generally speaking.

( Full article here ->http://www.vulture.com/2013/02/followings-james-purefoy-on-tv-violence.html?mid=agenda--20130218 )
post #184 of 784 Old 02-18-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I was riveted on this night's episode!

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #185 of 784 Old 02-18-2013, 11:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

This seemingly limitless supply of "followers" is getting old real fast, if anytime they need to make something bad happen the writers introduce yet another follower as a plot crutch then it's a sign of weak writing in my opinion. If they introduce one more next week then I'm done with this show, even though I do enjoy both Purefoy's and Bacon's performances.

This week's episode was exciting, but only because they brought in 2 more followers, enough already, let the show stand on the strength of it's existing characters, let's see the writers actually write compelling TV instead of taking the easy way out .
post #186 of 784 Old 02-19-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
The show could work as a paranoid fantasy...an unknown mysterious cult killing people seemingly at random with no apparent who or why in choice of victims. Like real serial killers, with a twist because its a group rather than one solitary psycho. Thats what I thought the show was going to be from the ads. Instead we are given way too much info on the killers, even glimpses of their homelife. The motive behind the killings is so vague and absurd that even the writers don't seem to believe in it, and using Poe as an inspiration is both a hackeyed cliche and a disservice to a great writer...It would be like The Walking Dead showing zombies sitting at home watching Romero movies while they lead surprisingly mundane lives.

Other than that, its great.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #187 of 784 Old 02-19-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

This seemingly limitless supply of "followers" is getting old real fast, if anytime they need to make something bad happen the writers introduce yet another follower as a plot crutch then it's a sign of weak writing in my opinion. If they introduce one more next week then I'm done with this show, even though I do enjoy both Purefoy's and Bacon's performances.

This week's episode was exciting, but only because they brought in 2 more followers, enough already, let the show stand on the strength of it's existing characters, let's see the writers actually write compelling TV instead of taking the easy way out .

I don't want to defend the show, but here I go anyway...since Purefoy's character is supposed to be all geniusy and everything, it would make sense that the "book" he has planned for Bacon's character would be complicated, and have more than one "chapter". Given that we get beaten over the head every week with the recap showing the scene between Purefoy and Bacon in which he tells Bacon about his "plans", Williamson seems to be telling us that there will be multiple chapters/iterations of the story. Also, a "genius" with the time to plan this thing would probably (in the eyes of a writer for a tv show) create an elaborate, overlapping, complicated plan.

I think it's time to wrap up the tale of the chick, the swinging hunk, and the confused man child, and propel the story down the path to whatever is next. These characters are played out already. It's still hard to see this going more than one season, unless each season is a stand alone story with unique characters.
post #188 of 784 Old 02-19-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 82
funniest part I thought was Kevin telling the hostage don't scream, she does anyway!! He puts the duct tape back on..eek.gif

post #189 of 784 Old 02-19-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

funniest part I thought was Kevin telling the hostage don't scream, she does anyway!! He puts the duct tape back on..eek.gif

I know. It had just flashed in my mind it'd be great if he did that... and then he did! I was howling. And what about that cop who was shot? Did he graduate at the bottom of his class or what? biggrin.gif
post #190 of 784 Old 02-19-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Once again the FBI looks like the Keystone Cops when they let her use the "I'm just going to the restroom" ruse. eek.gif

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #191 of 784 Old 02-19-2013, 09:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Once again the FBI looks like the Keystone Cops when they let her use the "I'm just going to the restroom" ruse. eek.gif
Absolutely, should have had a female agent with her anyway. Just sloppy writing.
post #192 of 784 Old 02-19-2013, 09:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

I don't want to defend the show, but here I go anyway...since Purefoy's character is supposed to be all geniusy and everything, it would make sense that the "book" he has planned for Bacon's character would be complicated, and have more than one "chapter". Given that we get beaten over the head every week with the recap showing the scene between Purefoy and Bacon in which he tells Bacon about his "plans", Williamson seems to be telling us that there will be multiple chapters/iterations of the story. Also, a "genius" with the time to plan this thing would probably (in the eyes of a writer for a tv show) create an elaborate, overlapping, complicated plan.

I think it's time to wrap up the tale of the chick, the swinging hunk, and the confused man child, and propel the story down the path to whatever is next. These characters are played out already. It's still hard to see this going more than one season, unless each season is a stand alone story with unique characters.
Yes, definitely time to close that chapter.

I'll stick with it a bit longer because I do like Bacon and Purefoy, it just would be nice if they tightened up the writing somewhat.
post #193 of 784 Old 02-20-2013, 02:32 AM

Liked: 10
Claire had to evade the FBI agent to keep the story going, I found her evasion technique well done. Mike Weston seems to be the obvious mole, but I think he is just a "follower" of Hardy. The mole was forshadowed in a previous episode when Parker gave Carroll a book. I was listening to an urban oriented radio station and they did point out - the african american agents really look stupid in this show and that is very offensive to me - I may have to switch to Cult if this keeps up. Anyone think Weston will save Hardy AGAIN?

post #194 of 784 Old 02-20-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

I know. It had just flashed in my mind it'd be great if he did that... and then he did! I was howling. And what about that cop who was shot? Did he graduate at the bottom of his class or what? biggrin.gif

I'm not sure why he didn't have a "red shirt" on. To me, it was THAT OBVIOUS that the poor SOB was going to buy the farm. Every step of the way Hardy kept propping him up with comments. When they arrived at the dead couples house. When they find the dead couple. When they are about to go into the white farm house.

For me, the episode was just oozing cheesiness at this point..... biggrin.gif
Josea likes this.
post #195 of 784 Old 02-20-2013, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 62
This show gets my vote for the one with the most idiotic, stupid, clueless, brain-dead law enforcement officers currently on television - local police, FBI, doesn't matter; they're all equally inept.

Only reason I'm still watching it is pretty much for comic entertainment of events that unfold due to the above.
post #196 of 784 Old 02-20-2013, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Law enforcement makes more mistakes and brain dead moves in real life then most people realize but that's human. Look at the real life fiasco that happened in L.A. in the past 2 weeks that got several officers dead (hearts go out to everybody that fights evil). This show is the best new show of the season imo, it's got me and everybody I know on the edge of our seat. It's definitely the most talked about show at work and at home. Very entertaining.
post #197 of 784 Old 02-20-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja7475 View Post

Law enforcement makes more mistakes and brain dead moves in real life then most people realize but that's human. Look at the real life fiasco that happened in L.A. in the past 2 weeks that got several officers dead (hearts go out to everybody that fights evil). This show is the best new show of the season imo, it's got me and everybody I know on the edge of our seat. It's definitely the most talked about show at work and at home. Very entertaining.
Not to mention the 2 women(ages 47 and 71) whose truck they were delivering newspapers in was riddled with nearly 40 rounds by the LAPD gunslingers, by mistake!!
baja7475 likes this.
post #198 of 784 Old 02-20-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 218

I finally caught the last episode and my take is it's a step up from last week.. which was perhaps the worse of them. They certainly sped up the action almost like they needed to get somewhere fast. Which more or less (nicely) hid a lot of the ongoing issues. As I have already covered them I'll simply say not much has changed and I'll keep watching however I've resigned myself to the fact it will end up going nowhere beyond the beaten path.

post #199 of 784 Old 02-20-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Laughed when the 2 that just murdered the couple walked calmly to their farm with not much worries, knowing they were just reported to police and were surprised that the 8th follower (calling them 8th and 9th) wanted them to move out quickly..

Saw the "red shirt" a mile away... I even bet to my wife he was one and voila!

But

The guys and girl didn't know that guy, so he's not the 8th follower, they other two used to be in that house together (I guess) where they write all those things on the walls.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #200 of 784 Old 02-21-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I just hope that the cop who let the follower slowly and surely walk up to him and take his gun did not have children. It would be a shame to see the gene pool watered down so badly.
The entire FBI team on this show does not have an aggregate IQ of 120.
post #201 of 784 Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Looks like this show has now intentionally DUPLICATED the presentation style of "Lost".

Flashback scenes with dates shown, to provide back-story, or to fill in or explain things in the present (e.g. "snippy-snip").

Exact same end of the episode, with "BOOM" climax music and then "The Following" in white letters against black background moving out to the viewer (which is also how the episode started).

Same edit/cut style as "Lost", and same music, to "build tension".

I could not stop thinking "Lost" throughout the whole episode.
post #202 of 784 Old 02-22-2013, 05:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Looks like this show has now intentionally DUPLICATED the presentation style of "Lost".

Flashback scenes with dates shown, to provide back-story, or to fill in or explain things in the present (e.g. "snippy-snip").

Exact same end of the episode, with "BOOM" climax music and then "The Following" in white letters against black background moving out to the viewer (which is also how the episode started).

Same edit/cut style as "Lost", and same music, to "build tension".

I could not stop thinking "Lost" throughout the whole episode.
Lost didn't show dates on the flashbacks. You must be thinking of Person of Interest.

Honestly, if Lost had started out this silly, I wouldn't have watched it all those seasons. It would have saved me a ton of disappointment at the end.
post #203 of 784 Old 02-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Lost didn't show dates on the flashbacks. You must be thinking of Person of Interest.

Honestly, if Lost had started out this silly, I wouldn't have watched it all those seasons. It would have saved me a ton of disappointment at the end.
Could not agree more about Lost. And Lost used music cues to clue us in on the flashbacks not dates, but yes they are basically using flashbacks like Lost to fill in back story.
post #204 of 784 Old 02-23-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Problem is many of "the Following's" flashback back stories are somewhat mundane and boring. LOST's backstories were most always fascinating and unexpected and insightful.
post #205 of 784 Old 02-23-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Alright... minor detail on visible date vs. music or whatever as a precursor to your knowing you were about to see a flashback for fill-in of backstory hole. Nevertheless, it sure seems suspiciously familiar to the edit style of "Lost", and unoriginal.

It was mostly the new episode-ending technique of BOOM, i.e. "The Following" white letters come out at you against a black background, with sustained music note... and you know the episode is now over. IDENTICAL to how "Lost" ended their episodes.

Hey... I'm just saying. I hadn't had this observation until this week. Let's see what happens next week.
post #206 of 784 Old 02-24-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

Problem is many of "the Following's" flashback back stories are somewhat mundane and boring. LOST's backstories were most always fascinating and unexpected and insightful.
You betcha.

The biggest one for me was the one early on with Michael and Walt (before the whole "Walt! MyBoy!" and the shoot your friends stuff). Those early flashbacks painted Michael as an uncaring absentee father and it was only later, when we saw more, that we found out he just had p*ss poor luck. That set the standard for how the flashbacks would weave a story that led us down one path, only to branch off another direction when we got the whole story.
post #207 of 784 Old 02-25-2013, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm liking the show, but not how long it takes the cops/FBI to get anywhere....the ep where Bacon and boy FBI agent were sauntering around the house and the black FBI agent gets slashed....they were right outside for god's sake....not 5 blocks away and it took them forever to get to the house. Then this week...Bacon asks boy FBI agent where they are and gets "we're a couple miles away - be right there", even stretching "couple" to mean "five" they should have been at the house in five minutes (assume average 60 MPH with siren/lights on) - yet Bacon runs around outside scouting for a while, has a shootout in the barn, breaks into the basement and talks to the tied up girl, then walks around the first floor a little before he gets "ambushed" - and they still haven't arrived.
post #208 of 784 Old 02-25-2013, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

I'm liking the show, but not how long it takes the cops/FBI to get anywhere....the ep where Bacon and boy FBI agent were sauntering around the house and the black FBI agent gets slashed....they were right outside for god's sake....not 5 blocks away and it took them forever to get to the house. Then this week...Bacon asks boy FBI agent where they are and gets "we're a couple miles away - be right there", even stretching "couple" to mean "five" they should have been at the house in five minutes (assume average 60 MPH with siren/lights on) - yet Bacon runs around outside scouting for a while, has a shootout in the barn, breaks into the basement and talks to the tied up girl, then walks around the first floor a little before he gets "ambushed" - and they still haven't arrived.

Darn GPS. Probably diverted him onto a series of gavel-topped side roads instead of the direct route. Garmin calls that a "feature".
post #209 of 784 Old 02-25-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

Sloppy writing pervades this show. It's annoying when you know it takes 15 minutes for the FEEB backup to circle around the back of the restaurant while The Follower makes a long soliloquy and tortures our tortured hero. My take is that they hired the time and place challenged writing staff from 24.

What would be unique and mind blowing would be to have had Bacon decide to kill that really annoying girl held hostage and blame The Followers in the house. Perfect cover. smile.gif
post #210 of 784 Old 02-25-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Holy smokes...I hope that mean girl gets splattered this episode. She is mean. smile.gif

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page