post #1 of 784 Old 11-30-2012, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
This show has me Very Interested ,

http://www.fox.com/programming/shows/?sh=the-following
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/21/the-following-fox-kevin-bacon-promo_n_2171143.html

The actors on board are very high caliber , hope the show & the plots / writing will be as good . smile.gif

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 784 Old 12-01-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Another fully-serialized, complex, densely plotted adult drama on a broadcast net! My heart sings with songs of joy and hope! smile.gif

But we all know what will happen, don't we? Bacon's star power and a big promotional push by FOX will lead to a nice, big opening. FOX executives will rejoice and trumpet their triumph. And then, what will happen? The audience will be frustrated by the "slow pace". Those without DVR's (who are these people?) will miss an episode and decide they have to drop out. Genre fans will nitpick the plot and character shortcomings (most due to the demands of making a weekly television show) and proclaim, loudly, that they just can't put up with it and smugly declare they have "deleted their season pass". This will start happening by week 3.

Finally, by week 6, the casual fans who can't understand why each week's episode isn't wrapped up in a nice, tidy bow with the dastardly killers gettin' their just desserts, will have drifted away leaving the hard core genre fans behind, some of which are just itching to "delete their season pass" because they just can't take the storyline's shortcomings any longer. Finally, ad revenue dropping as the Nielsen numbers steadily decline, the Network decides to pull the plug. The few remaining fans beg for a reprieve - maybe they'll send food-colored, bloody handkerchiefs to the network brass (or whatever the protagonist's personal peccadillo is).

Sorry, but I've seen this whole thing before. Each time I hope it will be different. Each time it's not.

Nevertheless, I applaud FOX for taking the shot. I will be there and I WILL NOT BAIL, no matter how many times the writers forget how a particular gun needs to be held or how long it takes to drive across the city. Go Kev! My hope is he at least has a fraction the television success as his wife (who had the intrinsic benefit of starring in a formulaic procedural on a cablenet). That would be, at the very least, a second season. I won't be holding my breath.
post #3 of 784 Old 12-01-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Well it's got Kevin Bacon in it, that's a plus. Everyone still likes Kevin Bacon don't they? biggrin.gif

post #4 of 784 Old 12-01-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Well it's got Kevin Bacon in it, that's a plus. Everyone still likes Kevin Bacon don't they? biggrin.gif

For 3 to 6 weeks, sure. wink.giftongue.gif
post #5 of 784 Old 12-01-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Another fully-serialized, complex, densely plotted adult drama on a broadcast net! My heart sings with songs of joy and hope! smile.gif
But we all know what will happen, don't we? Bacon's star power and a big promotional push by FOX will lead to a nice, big opening. FOX executives will rejoice and trumpet their triumph. And then, what will happen? The audience will be frustrated by the "slow pace". Those without DVR's (who are these people?) will miss an episode and decide they have to drop out. Genre fans will nitpick the plot and character shortcomings (most due to the demands of making a weekly television show) and proclaim, loudly, that they just can't put up with it and smugly declare they have "deleted their season pass". This will start happening by week 3.
Finally, by week 6, the casual fans who can't understand why each week's episode isn't wrapped up in a nice, tidy bow with the dastardly killers gettin' their just desserts, will have drifted away leaving the hard core genre fans behind, some of which are just itching to "delete their season pass" because they just can't take the storyline's shortcomings any longer. Finally, ad revenue dropping as the Nielsen numbers steadily decline, the Network decides to pull the plug. The few remaining fans beg for a reprieve - maybe they'll send food-colored, bloody handkerchiefs to the network brass (or whatever the protagonist's personal peccadillo is).
Sorry, but I've seen this whole thing before. Each time I hope it will be different. Each time it's not.
Nevertheless, I applaud FOX for taking the shot. I will be there and I WILL NOT BAIL, no matter how many times the writers forget how a particular gun needs to be held or how long it takes to drive across the city. Go Kev! My hope is he at least has a fraction the television success as his wife (who had the intrinsic benefit of starring in a formulaic procedural on a cablenet). That would be, at the very least, a second season. I won't be holding my breath.

You my friend have hit it right on the nose.
ltownsend likes this.

Argee
post #6 of 784 Old 12-01-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well give FOX some credit eek.gif

FOX did have " 24 " & now " Touch "

anything is better than a NEW Talent Reality show . . . . . . . . . rolleyes.gif
I'm Really surprised FOX put this on broadcast instead of on FX . . wink.gif

And while we wait till the release ,

Don't know if you guys follow Kevin Bacon & his home videos but his dog has been made quite famous , Kyra is the behind the camera in all of these
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/5b320fc555/kevin-bacon-s-dog-is-dramatic

Mike

post #7 of 784 Old 12-01-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Bacon is good in everything.

Kevin Bacon is also good in everything.

It can't be a coincidence.
post #8 of 784 Old 12-01-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Bacon is good in everything.
Kevin Bacon is also good in everything.
It can't be a coincidence.

I hereby nominate the above as the post of the year.
ltownsend likes this.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #9 of 784 Old 12-01-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Let me be the first to announce I'm deleting my SP after week 3
post #10 of 784 Old 12-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Amen brother. This is how I feel about every new interesting serialized show before it airs. So happy it's getting a shot, but knowing the dangers you mentioned.
post #11 of 784 Old 12-01-2012, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, at least its on Fox, where they always give a show a lot of time to develop and take a hands off approach to the creative process.

post #12 of 784 Old 12-01-2012, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post

Amen brother. This is how I feel about every new interesting serialized show before it airs. So happy it's getting a shot, but knowing the dangers you mentioned.
I have agree with everyone ,one must put angst on the table 1st , I really now just start recording these new dramas 1st & wait to see if they are gonna fly before I watch any of them . I musta deleted 3 or 4 show groups of files on this latest crop of drama of this fall's season already. I really hate investing time watching the new shows then to see them cancelled & I analyze for myself if I think it's gonna be a dud & this fall i'm @ 100% duds on show I figure would be, So I just deleted them , saving me my time .
Now this show I'm all in & I am gonna watch from the get go . rolleyes.gif I hope it's a winner tongue.gif

Mike

post #13 of 784 Old 12-01-2012, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:

Kind of like Lucy pulling the football away at the last second and Charlie Brown falls on his butt. But he always believes next time, she won't do it. wink.gif

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #14 of 784 Old 12-02-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Kind of like Lucy pulling the football away at the last second and Charlie Brown falls on his butt. But he always believes next time, she won't do it. wink.gif
Actually, he always believes THIS TIME she won't do it - then claims he won't fall for it NEXT TIME.

When it comes to embracing TV shows that are doomed to fail, I am indeed Charlie Brown. I always swear I won't invest in a serialized show until I know it's going to stick, then end up watching it anyway. I've landed flat on my back with a lot of footballs...
post #15 of 784 Old 12-02-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Actually, he always believes THIS TIME she won't do it - then claims he won't fall for it NEXT TIME.
When it comes to embracing TV shows that are doomed to fail, I am indeed Charlie Brown. I always swear I won't invest in a serialized show until I know it's going to stick, then end up watching it anyway. I've landed flat on my back with a lot of footballs...

Word. I feel ya'. But we've seen a lot of pretty good television that a lot of others missed as well, right? I'd have hated to have missed a single hour of Firefly, Kidnapped, Karen Sisco, Jericho, Rubicon, and a whole bunch of other damn fine TV shows that for various reasons never caught on with a big audience and paid the price with a quick yank to stage-left. In most cases it was worth it.
post #16 of 784 Old 12-02-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Word. I feel ya'. But we've seen a lot of pretty good television that a lot of others missed as well, right? I'd have hated to have missed a single hour of Firefly, Kidnapped, Karen Sisco, Jericho, Rubicon, and a whole bunch of other damn fine TV shows that for various reasons never caught on with a big audience and paid the price with a quick yank to stage-left. In most cases it was worth it.
Yeah that is where the new modern DVR's are so great smile.gif

Mike

post #17 of 784 Old 12-03-2012, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Looking forward to this. I really enjoy Purefoy's work. He should make for an excellent serial killer/cult leader.
post #18 of 784 Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
This show looks to be a direct copy of "Manhunter", a Michael Mann Film with Billy Peterson. Ck it out....Crank up the ending scene.... Should be good, Kevin Bacon is in it...
post #19 of 784 Old 12-03-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

This show looks to be a direct copy of "Manhunter", a Michael Mann Film with Billy Peterson.

I don't think anyone can say it's direct copy, given the amount of profiling serial killer shows that have aired since the book came out. Especially since Manhunter was based on the book and the film was then remade to be more like the book and continue the Silence of the Lambs franchise.

post #20 of 784 Old 12-03-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

In-a-gadda-da-vida honey...great sequence in one of the all time best "B" films. But other than having a FBI guy chasing a serial killer I don't see the resemblance...

post #21 of 784 Old 12-03-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 75
What a new concept.. wait, serial killers? is this like Dexter on Network TV? Criminal Minds 2? mmm

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #22 of 784 Old 12-03-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I've been a fan of James Purefoy's since he showed up for a scene-stealing five minutes in "A Knight's Tale" oh-so long ago. I'm hoping this propels him from hey-it's-that-guy UK TV stardom to a much bigger US following. So to speak.
post #23 of 784 Old 12-03-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

What a new concept.. wait, serial killers? is this like Dexter on Network TV? Criminal Minds 2? mmm
quite different .
A serial killer singular who has a following of copy cat killers/ helpers /fans . Who he organizes into a " Following " hence the name , smile.gif

Mike

post #24 of 784 Old 12-03-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

This show looks to be a direct copy of "Manhunter", a Michael Mann Film with Billy Peterson. Ck it out....Crank up the ending scene.... Should be good, Kevin Bacon is in it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I don't think anyone can say it's direct copy, given the amount of profiling serial killer shows that have aired since the book came out. Especially since Manhunter was based on the book and the film was then remade to be more like the book and continue the Silence of the Lambs franchise.

Actually, NBC's Hannibal is the show that looks to be a direct copy of Manhunter...the characters even have the same names!

Rocky
post #25 of 784 Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I miss Brimstone frown.gif
post #26 of 784 Old 12-03-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyF View Post

Actually, NBC's Hannibal is the show that looks to be a direct copy of Manhunter...the characters even have the same names!

Ha! Good point! biggrin.gif

post #27 of 784 Old 12-04-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 75
So 2 cannibal TV shows next year? interesting genre, maybe it's the "13" fact?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #28 of 784 Old 12-04-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

New Promo Clip . . . . .
smile.gif

smile.gif

http://www.fox.com/the-following/

Looks like the above link is the New web site for the show , as Fox now has the show listed as a part of it over all list of regular shows with web sites

The promo is the opening showcase of the new site .

From that clip it looks as if the production values on this show are quite high ,

FOX is throwing a big wad of cash into the production of this show biggrin.gif That's a good thing ! wink.gif

Mike

post #29 of 784 Old 12-28-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

NEW article on the " The Following " cool.gif Enjoy the below links . . . . I am really excited about this one !

Check out the cast & writer talking about the show . . . . . .

. . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X0Bw3uix9Ks

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-cast-and-crew-of-the-following-introduce-fox-s-new-show

wink.gif Cool ! new videos watch them in order smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ORfClkFExo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMxElrkF6Cc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFm-UNzJMv8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqdHFSSu5g4

There was a promo on Entertainment Tonight as well ,they are calling " The Following " the best new show in 2013

http://www.etonline.com/tv/128626_The_Following_Best_New_Show_2013_Preview/index.html

Mike

post #30 of 784 Old 12-29-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
They lost me at "Kevin Williamson has been terrifying audience since...". Some of his stuff are lever, but terrifying? Plus serial killers are over done.

I do like bacon, small and big b, and nathalea zea is hot in the skinny crazy chick mold.

Anyway, neither joss Wheedon nor Tim Minear is involved so it should be somewhat safe from early death.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page