AVS Forum banner

" The Following " on FOX

34K views 877 replies 119 participants last post by  aaronwt 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Another fully-serialized, complex, densely plotted adult drama on a broadcast net! My heart sings with songs of joy and hope!

But we all know what will happen, don't we? Bacon's star power and a big promotional push by FOX will lead to a nice, big opening. FOX executives will rejoice and trumpet their triumph. And then, what will happen? The audience will be frustrated by the "slow pace". Those without DVR's (who are these people?) will miss an episode and decide they have to drop out. Genre fans will nitpick the plot and character shortcomings (most due to the demands of making a weekly television show) and proclaim, loudly, that they just can't put up with it and smugly declare they have "deleted their season pass". This will start happening by week 3.

Finally, by week 6, the casual fans who can't understand why each week's episode isn't wrapped up in a nice, tidy bow with the dastardly killers gettin' their just desserts, will have drifted away leaving the hard core genre fans behind, some of which are just itching to "delete their season pass" because they just can't take the storyline's shortcomings any longer. Finally, ad revenue dropping as the Nielsen numbers steadily decline, the Network decides to pull the plug. The few remaining fans beg for a reprieve - maybe they'll send food-colored, bloody handkerchiefs to the network brass (or whatever the protagonist's personal peccadillo is).

Sorry, but I've seen this whole thing before. Each time I hope it will be different. Each time it's not.

Nevertheless, I applaud FOX for taking the shot. I will be there and I WILL NOT BAIL, no matter how many times the writers forget how a particular gun needs to be held or how long it takes to drive across the city. Go Kev! My hope is he at least has a fraction the television success as his wife (who had the intrinsic benefit of starring in a formulaic procedural on a cablenet). That would be, at the very least, a second season. I won't be holding my breath.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1442608/the-following-on-fox#post_22648473

Another fully-serialized, complex, densely plotted adult drama on a broadcast net! My heart sings with songs of joy and hope!

But we all know what will happen, don't we? Bacon's star power and a big promotional push by FOX will lead to a nice, big opening. FOX executives will rejoice and trumpet their triumph. And then, what will happen? The audience will be frustrated by the "slow pace". Those without DVR's (who are these people?) will miss an episode and decide they have to drop out. Genre fans will nitpick the plot and character shortcomings (most due to the demands of making a weekly television show) and proclaim, loudly, that they just can't put up with it and smugly declare they have "deleted their season pass". This will start happening by week 3.

Finally, by week 6, the casual fans who can't understand why each week's episode isn't wrapped up in a nice, tidy bow with the dastardly killers gettin' their just desserts, will have drifted away leaving the hard core genre fans behind, some of which are just itching to "delete their season pass" because they just can't take the storyline's shortcomings any longer. Finally, ad revenue dropping as the Nielsen numbers steadily decline, the Network decides to pull the plug. The few remaining fans beg for a reprieve - maybe they'll send food-colored, bloody handkerchiefs to the network brass (or whatever the protagonist's personal peccadillo is).

Sorry, but I've seen this whole thing before. Each time I hope it will be different. Each time it's not.

Nevertheless, I applaud FOX for taking the shot. I will be there and I WILL NOT BAIL, no matter how many times the writers forget how a particular gun needs to be held or how long it takes to drive across the city. Go Kev! My hope is he at least has a fraction the television success as his wife (who had the intrinsic benefit of starring in a formulaic procedural on a cablenet). That would be, at the very least, a second season. I won't be holding my breath.

You my friend have hit it right on the nose.

Reactions: ltownsend
#6 ·
Well give FOX some credit

FOX did have " 24 " & now " Touch "

anything is better than a NEW Talent Reality show . . . . . . . . .

I'm Really surprised FOX put this on broadcast instead of on FX . .

And while we wait till the release ,

Don't know if you guys follow Kevin Bacon & his home videos but his dog has been made quite famous , Kyra is the behind the camera in all of these
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/5b320fc555/kevin-bacon-s-dog-is-dramatic

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV  /t/1442608/the-following-on-fox#post_22649247

Bacon is good in everything.

Kevin Bacon is also good in everything.

It can't be a coincidence.

I hereby nominate the above as the post of the year.

Reactions: ltownsend
#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1442608/the-following-on-fox/0_50#post_22648473

Amen brother. This is how I feel about every new interesting serialized show before it airs. So happy it's getting a shot, but knowing the dangers you mentioned.

#11 ·
Well, at least its on Fox, where they always give a show a lot of time to develop and take a hands off approach to the creative process.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S  /t/1442608/the-following-on-fox/0_40#post_22651208

Amen brother. This is how I feel about every new interesting serialized show before it airs. So happy it's getting a shot, but knowing the dangers you mentioned.
I have agree with everyone ,one must put angst on the table 1st , I really now just start recording these new dramas 1st & wait to see if they are gonna fly before I watch any of them . I musta deleted 3 or 4 show groups of files on this latest crop of drama of this fall's season already. I really hate investing time watching the new shows then to see them cancelled & I analyze for myself if I think it's gonna be a dud & this fall i'm @ 100% duds on show I figure would be, So I just deleted them , saving me my time .

Now this show I'm all in & I am gonna watch from the get go .
I hope it's a winner

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1442608/the-following-on-fox#post_22648473

Kind of like Lucy pulling the football away at the last second and Charlie Brown falls on his butt. But he always believes next time, she won't do it.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark  /t/1442608/the-following-on-fox#post_22651262

Kind of like Lucy pulling the football away at the last second and Charlie Brown falls on his butt. But he always believes next time, she won't do it.
Actually, he always believes THIS TIME she won't do it - then claims he won't fall for it NEXT TIME.

When it comes to embracing TV shows that are doomed to fail, I am indeed Charlie Brown. I always swear I won't invest in a serialized show until I know it's going to stick, then end up watching it anyway. I've landed flat on my back with a lot of footballs...

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV  /t/1442608/the-following-on-fox#post_22652249

Actually, he always believes THIS TIME she won't do it - then claims he won't fall for it NEXT TIME.

When it comes to embracing TV shows that are doomed to fail, I am indeed Charlie Brown. I always swear I won't invest in a serialized show until I know it's going to stick, then end up watching it anyway. I've landed flat on my back with a lot of footballs...

Word. I feel ya'. But we've seen a lot of pretty good television that a lot of others missed as well, right? I'd have hated to have missed a single hour of Firefly, Kidnapped, Karen Sisco, Jericho, Rubicon, and a whole bunch of other damn fine TV shows that for various reasons never caught on with a big audience and paid the price with a quick yank to stage-left. In most cases it was worth it.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1442608/the-following-on-fox/0_40#post_22652487

Word. I feel ya'. But we've seen a lot of pretty good television that a lot of others missed as well, right? I'd have hated to have missed a single hour of Firefly, Kidnapped, Karen Sisco, Jericho, Rubicon, and a whole bunch of other damn fine TV shows that for various reasons never caught on with a big audience and paid the price with a quick yank to stage-left. In most cases it was worth it.
Yeah that is where the new modern DVR's are so great

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca  /t/1442608/the-following-on-fox#post_22656396

This show looks to be a direct copy of "Manhunter", a Michael Mann Film with Billy Peterson.

I don't think anyone can say it's direct copy, given the amount of profiling serial killer shows that have aired since the book came out. Especially since Manhunter was based on the book and the film was then remade to be more like the book and continue the Silence of the Lambs franchise.

#20 ·
In-a-gadda-da-vida honey...great sequence in one of the all time best "B" films. But other than having a FBI guy chasing a serial killer I don't see the resemblance...

#21 ·
What a new concept.. wait, serial killers? is this like Dexter on Network TV? Criminal Minds 2? mmm

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar  /t/1442608/the-following-on-fox/0_40#post_22656935

What a new concept.. wait, serial killers? is this like Dexter on Network TV? Criminal Minds 2? mmm
quite different .

A serial killer singular who has a following of copy cat killers/ helpers /fans . Who he organizes into a " Following " hence the name ,

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca  /t/1442608/the-following-on-fox#post_22656396

This show looks to be a direct copy of "Manhunter", a Michael Mann Film with Billy Peterson. Ck it out....Crank up the ending scene.... Should be good, Kevin Bacon is in it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn  /t/1442608/the-following-on-fox#post_22656667

I don't think anyone can say it's direct copy, given the amount of profiling serial killer shows that have aired since the book came out. Especially since Manhunter was based on the book and the film was then remade to be more like the book and continue the Silence of the Lambs franchise.

Actually, NBC's Hannibal is the show that looks to be a direct copy of Manhunter...the characters even have the same names!

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyF  /t/1442608/the-following-on-fox#post_22658528

Actually, NBC's Hannibal is the show that looks to be a direct copy of Manhunter...the characters even have the same names!

Ha! Good point!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.