Discovery Announces The Premiere of 'Africa' From the Makers of 'Life', 01/08/2013 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-05-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Discovery Announces The Premiere of 'Africa'

Written By Amanda Kondolojy

December 5th, 2012

via press release:

THE MAKERS OF ‘LIFE’ RETURN WITH THE EPIC SERIES ‘AFRICA,’ A REVEALING LOOK AT THE CONTINENT YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW

- AFRICA to Premiere on Discovery Channel January 8th, 2013 --

(Silver Spring, Md.) – The award-winning documentary team behind the breakthrough natural history series LIFE returns with a revealing look at aseemingly familiar continent that is still holding many secrets. A Discovery Channel/BBC co-production fouryears in the making, AFRICA – premiering Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 10PM E/P – is a seven-part series that brings the continent to life with never-before-filmed species, animal behaviors and secret, natural wonders of the world.

Travel to a secret location in southwest Africa to witness what could be the last great rhinoceros gathering on Earth, filmed with a newly developed camera system that is operated using the light of the stars and captures sound using microphones embedded around a watering hole. Track a teenage chimp in the Congo with a sweet tooth that drives her to perfect complicated honey-hunting techniquesusing four different tools. Meet some gutsy lizards who hunt for flies on the backs of sleeping lions in the Serengeti, a behavior never before captured on film. And see giraffes in a whole new way as two rival males in Namibia deliver sledgehammer-like blows on each other in a knockout fight for domination.

To capture on film these and other spectacular animal behaviors, the production team spent 1,598 days on location across 79 separate expeditions in 27 countries. They utilized 21 different types of cameras to shoot more than 2,000 hours of footage. Of the 553 cameras deployed throughout the series, only eight were lost or damaged beyond repair.

The AFRICA team’s extreme efforts are chronicled in the episode Making Of Africa. Other episodes of the series uncover bizarre, brutal and newly discovered animal behaviors in thedeserts of the Kalahari, the dense forests and snow-capped peaks of the Savannah, the dynamic Congo rainforest, the ever-changing climate of The Cape and the massive and parched Sahara desert. The series’ seventh episode, hosted on camera by British naturalist David Attenborough, will look at how Africa is changing faster than at any time in history. The greatest and most iconic wildlife continent is at a tipping point. The animals of the next generation will face very different challenges than the ones met by their ancestors – and the animals themselves must adapt to the new landscape and changing relationship with humans.

AFRICA is a Discovery Channel/BBC co-production. For BBC, Mike Gunton is executive producer and James Honeyborne is series producer. For Discovery Channel, Robert Zakin is executive producer.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/12/05/discovery-announces-the-premiere-of-africa/160412/

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-08-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 73
It's on tonight. I'll watch it in bed. Looking forward to this.

Thread title change? tongue.gif
"Africa on Discovery" etc.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-09-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I missed last night and can't seem to find when it will run again but now have a season pass for the rest of them
post #4 of 14 Old 01-09-2013, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yeah, what's up with no repeats. Discovery of all places. Season Pass in place, but missed 1st episode. Gotta be replayed sometime soon for sure.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-09-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittCaleb View Post

Yeah, what's up with no repeats. Discovery of all places.

And miss these classics: Amish Mafia, Moonshiners, Property Wars, Gold Rush, etc., etc. Why watch something educational, meaningful and beautiful, when the nation would rather watch garbage that shrivels your brain and turns what’s left into mush. Education has taken a backburner in this country, and companies like TDC, TLC, NATGEO and others who used to represent something, prefer to pander to the lowest common denominator.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-09-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittCaleb View Post

Yeah, what's up with no repeats. Discovery of all places. Season Pass in place, but missed 1st episode. Gotta be replayed sometime soon for sure.

I checked the guide for the next 2 weeks and it didn't show up but the 2nd one has a repeat date forget when but nothing on the 1st one
post #7 of 14 Old 01-09-2013, 10:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 402
My recommendation is to wait for the BBC Blu-ray release with Attenborough doing the narration. No commercials, no low bitrate pixelation, and the material has not been edited with segments being shown in a different order. Plus you'll see the 10 min technical segment where the team shows how the major events in the episode were filmed, in this first episode they explain how the giraffe fight and the rhinos at night were filmed.

Oh yeah, and no on screen bugs either touting ridiculous fake reality series like "Amish Mafia".
post #8 of 14 Old 01-09-2013, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
They usually have an technical episode after the original have aired with series like this. Don't have a Blu-ray, so the DVR is the next best thing.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-09-2013, 11:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

And miss these classics: Amish Mafia, Moonshiners, Property Wars, Gold Rush, etc., etc. Why watch something educational, meaningful and beautiful, when the nation would rather watch garbage that shrivels your brain and turns what’s left into mush. Education has taken a backburner in this country, and companies like TDC, TLC, NATGEO and others who used to represent something, prefer to pander to the lowest common denominator.
DON'T get me started.....wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #10 of 14 Old 01-10-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja7475 View Post

They usually have an technical episode after the original have aired with series like this. Don't have a Blu-ray, so the DVR is the next best thing.

Agreed. Never wanted to upgrade from 1080i. Costs too much for the benefits, IMO.

Almost done with the first episode, am very impressed. Great footage! eek.gif
Would love to travel to Africa sometime, but would hate the flight there. A long ways from home.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-10-2013, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Agreed. Never wanted to upgrade from 1080i. Costs too much for the benefits, IMO..
A Bluray player with 1080i would still be a lot better picture quality than a DVD Player or Satellite.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

A Bluray player with 1080i would still be a lot better picture quality than a DVD Player or Satellite.

Right. I'll still wait for the next technology tongue.gif (Edit: Or when I finally give in. ha)
Been spending too much as is.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
My stereo up-converts my dvd and vhs player to 1080. It does a pretty good job too.

The flight would suck to Africa, but not as bad as to China. Went to China in November, 12 hours non-stop was pretty horrific!

The wasp/spider confrontation and the underground lake was great footage.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-10-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by baja7475 View Post

My stereo up-converts my dvd and vhs player to 1080. It does a pretty good job too.

Mine converts my 8-track to 5.1. wink.gif
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page