2013 Formula 1 in HD - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've never really understood how they get good DD5.1 on a live broadcast. But FOM have tons more money and have honed their craft quite well.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Nah. Ferrari is as fast or faster on the straights so that point is bogus. And Hamilton is not special. Dont forget that the only reason that Rosberg wasnt on the podium is because of team orders.

Merc had the majority of highest trap speeds last year. China is the fastest track on the schedule. Its one of the only tracks where speed > downforce. I don't think any driver is special. Well, maybe Kimi wink.gif

Kimi should star in Vikings. "Hey Kimi'nar, you ruined the lives of the Europeans.----"I don't care about what the Europeans think. Bring me Ale" "
Old 03-24-2013, 09:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 886
I agree with you about China. Toro Rosso also had some of the highest trap speeds last year. The biggest problem with that line of thinking is that its no longer last year. smile.gif

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Old 03-24-2013, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Bring me Ale

That's going to look good on my tombstone. Thanks smile.gif

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I am laughing at a lot of the comments.

The Vettel/Webber fight had me on the edge of my seat. I was thinking this is Senna/Prost all over again or to a lesser extent Schumi/Villeneuve etc. Then to flash to the Mercedes teammates going at it was great as well. Then it comes crashing down.

TEAMS ORDERS!

This is one more thing that drives me nuts about F1. Team orders, don't race your teammate, because the team needs max constructor points. Please give me a break. Most of the general public couldn't care less about the constructors championship. The teams may go on about it, but I bet the people who count (the sponsors) care more about the driver's championship. Quick test - who won the '86 constructor's championship? How about the '99 or '08 championship? I bet most casual fans couldn't name the team, but I bet a lot would know the driver champion. A lot of casual fans might not know the '86 champion, but I bet most French fans know. smile.gif

Now a couple of minutes later (I watched the tape delay), I watch Denny Hamlin and Kyle Busch racing in the final laps of the Nascar race. I wonder if Joe Gibbs was saying TEAM ORDERS. No and it was a hell of a finish. Nascar has IMO hit a home run with the new car. Some of it has to do with the teams still figuring out the new car, but it is still a good achievement. One thing they decided to do was reduce downforce. Imagine that, an emphasis on mechanical grip over aero grip produces better racing.

The other thing that drove me nuts was Pirelli. I am not going to get into the stupid tire rule. If you are going to have different compounds then at least have a significant delta between the compounds. I can't figure out if this is Pirelli's fault or F1.

As for Vettel, nothing is going to happen. He is a multi world champ and their best hope for another. Webber should shut his trap and do his best Kevin Bacon impression "Thank you sir. May I have another?". The fact of the matter is there are probably eight other drivers better than him. Webber should be happy that he makes millions of pounds driving one of the best cars in F1. If that isn't enough then let him be the #1 driver on Torro Rosso.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Old 03-24-2013, 11:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

And Hamilton is not special.
Hmmm...that's an interesting thought.

Quote:

Kimi should star in Vikings. "Hey Kimi'nar, you ruined the lives of the Europeans.----"I don't care about what the Europeans think. Bring me Ale" "
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

LOL, great stuff guys.tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

This is one more thing that drives me nuts about F1. Team orders, don't race your teammate, because the team needs max constructor points. Please give me a break. Most of the general public couldn't care less about the constructors championship. The teams may go on about it, but I bet the people who count (the sponsors) care more about the driver's championship. Quick test - who won the '86 constructor's championship? How about the '99 or '08 championship? I bet most casual fans couldn't name the team, but I bet a lot would know the driver champion. A lot of casual fans might not know the '86 champion, but I bet most French fans know. smile.gif
Constructor Points is more important to a team because it attracts sponsors with big wallets.
Business people realize drivers come and go, teams are forever (except if you are HRT wink.gif ).

Quote:
As for Vettel, nothing is going to happen. He is a multi world champ and their best hope for another. Webber should shut his trap and do his best Kevin Bacon impression "Thank you sir. May I have another?". The fact of the matter is there are probably eight other drivers better than him. Webber should be happy that he makes millions of pounds driving one of the best cars in F1. If that isn't enough then let him be the #1 driver on Torro Rosso.
You have a point, but Webber doesn't see it that way.biggrin.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And Hamilton is not special.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

LOL, great stuff guys.tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

Constructor Points is more important to a team because it attracts sponsors with big wallets.
Business people realize drivers come and go, but teams are forever (except if you are HRT wink.gif).

Quote:
You do have a point, except Webber doesn't see it that way.biggrin.gif

Old 03-25-2013, 04:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Perhaps I should clarify. Hamilton is immature, self centered and arrogant. Yi, sorry but Im not a fan. I compare him to the Ochocinco of F1. When he posted technical details of the McLaren on the internet because he felt like Button was getting preferential treatment I knew he was living in a different universe. I know this is a little harsh but its just my opinion. Although it is still very early I think the move to Mercedes may be the best thing for him. He seems to be starting to understand that the world does not revolve around him and he is showing some humility and maturity. When he said that Rosberg should be on the podium, my jaw hit the floor.
He thinks he can turn Mercedes around the way that Schumacher turned around Ferrari. Personally I dont think hes in the same league but time will tell.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 255
James Allen's site has what may be the most balanced commentary I have read thus far about the Webber/Vettel situation:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/03/analysis-why-did-vettel-ignore-team-orders-and-pass-webber/

Now, as for the reader comments after the article......not so much. :-)

Brian
Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Perhaps I should clarify. Hamilton is immature, self centered and arrogant. Yi, sorry but Im not a fan. I compare him to the Ochocinco of F1. When he posted technical details of the McLaren on the internet because he felt like Button was getting preferential treatment I knew he was living in a different universe. I know this is a little harsh but its just my opinion. Although it is still very early I think the move to Mercedes may be the best thing for him. He seems to be starting to understand that the world does not revolve around him and he is showing some humility and maturity. When he said that Rosberg should be on the podium, my jaw hit the floor.
He thinks he can turn Mercedes around the way that Schumacher turned around Ferrari. Personally I dont think hes in the same league but time will tell.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post

James Allen's site has what may be the most balanced commentary I have read thus far about the Webber/Vettel situation:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/03/analysis-why-did-vettel-ignore-team-orders-and-pass-webber/

Now, as for the reader comments after the article......not so much. :-)

Brian
Thanx for the link.

Have to agree with the author this incident "taints" his reputation.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Well, there will be no team orders at Red Bull, since they have effectively lost control of their drivers. Vettel made it clear he will ignore them if he chooses. Webber knows that, so he won't trust that team orders are in his best interest. This could potentially harm team morale.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
Old 03-25-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

Well, there will be no team orders at Red Bull, since they have effectively lost control of their drivers. Vettel made it clear he will ignore them if he chooses. Webber knows that, so he won't trust that team orders are in his best interest. This could potentially harm team morale.
And to compound things, it is almost certainly Webbers last year in F1 and probably Vettels last with RB. If Vettel does something like that again this year he may have trouble finding a top ride. That would not have been as easily tolerated at Ferrari and its not a big secret that he may end up there in the future.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And to compound things, it is almost certainly Webbers last year in F1 and probably Vettels last with RB.

This could end up like 2007 with Hamilton/Alonso at McLaren. Ugly!

Old 03-25-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This could end up like 2007 with Hamilton/Alonso at McLaren. Ugly!
Yi. Check out what I added to my post.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And to compound things, it is almost certainly Webbers last year in F1 and probably Vettels last with RB. If Vettel does something like that again this year he may have trouble finding a top ride. That would not have been as easily tolerated at Ferrari and its not a big secret that he may end up there in the future.
Although he may go to Ferrari someday, I can't seem him teamed up with Alonso.
Things will get ugly very fast if that turns out to be the case.

Both of these guys are accustomed to being the #1 Driver...I can't see them tolerating another #1.wink.gif

Old 03-25-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Both of these guys are accustomed to being the #1 Driver...I can't see them tolerating another #1.wink.gif
Can you say Senna/Prost? wink.gifbiggrin.gif
It has been thrown around for a while and they both say that they would have no problem with it. rolleyes.gif
EVERY driver wants to drive for Ferrari before they retire. No matter what happens before or after it guarantees you a special place in history. Whether people are fans of Ferrari or not thats just the way it is.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you say Senna/Prost? wink.gifbiggrin.gif
It has been thrown around for a while and they both say that they would have no problem with it. rolleyes.gif

Two drivers with 5 or more titles between them could get pretty intense. A Vettel/Alonso inter-team rivalry would be classic. I'll take Alonso.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Two drivers with 5 or more titles between them could get pretty intense. A Vettel/Alonso inter-team rivalry would be classic. I'll take Alonso.
+1. Alonso could easily have 4 championships already. He has lost twice by something like 4 points or less. And he hasnt always been driving the best car like Vettel.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
What about Webber to Ferrari? He's shown he's a team player.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
Old 03-25-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

What about Webber to Ferrari? He's shown he's a team player.
Hes too old. Why swap Massa out for another old guy on his way out? The replacement for Massa is going to be long term.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:

I aree that teaming Vettel with Alonzo wouldn't work. There would just be too much ego at play.

At the end of yesterday's race, Vettel was on fresher tires, so he had a clearly faster car. That his team tried to take his (excellent) chance of winning away from him with a multi-21 order was rankly unfair. Now, whether Vettel's decision to disregard team instructions was worse, is in the eye of the beholder. Not only did Vettel pass Webber, he ended up finishing the race 4 plus seconds ahead of Webber. It was a difficult and ambiguous situation in which neither team management nor Vettel was entirely without blame. Anyway, the way it turned out, it made for a hell of a race. I can't imagine that this situation would motivate Red Bull to get rid of Vettel. The guy just wins too much for that. Even it Vettel and Red Bull do part ways, it seems to me that other teams will be standing in line to sign the guy.

The craziness in the pits yesterday looked like a Mack Sennett Keystone Cops production.smile.gif
Old 03-25-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Old 03-25-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They wont get ride of Vettel for that. But depending on how the rest of the season plays out Vettel may be ready to move on. The biggest thing keeping him there is Adrian Newey. If there is friction the rest of the season and Ferrari remains competitive who knows. Almost certainly someone is going to replace Massa next year. It could be Vettels only chance at a Ferrari ride and drivers very rarely pass on that.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hes too old. Why swap Massa out for another old guy on his way out? The replacement for Massa is going to be long term.
I am not sure long-term contracts are the way to go anymore.
Giving someone a long-termer means putting faith in a guy not to become a distraction or an anchor around a team's neck.
We have seen instances where one guy can completely derail a team from reaching its goals.
Besides, there are plenty of good drivers available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I aree that teaming Vettel with Alonzo wouldn't work. There would just be too much ego at play.
I can't imagine that this situation would motivate Red Bull to get rid of Vettel. The guy just wins too much for that. Even it Vettel and Red Bull do part ways, it seems to me that other teams will be standing in line to sign the guy.
Agreed.

Quote:
The craziness in the pits yesterday looked like a Mack Sennett Keystone Cops production.smile.gif
Didn't you just knew LH would do that at least once this year?biggrin.gif

Quote:

The biggest thing keeping him there is Adrian Newey.
And probably the reason Webber is there too.

Quote:
Almost certainly someone is going to replace Massa next year.
If Massa continues his form, he will be there next season....unless Ferrari already has someone signed up for 2014.

Quote:
It could be Vettels only chance at a Ferrari ride and drivers very rarely pass on that.
Considering Vettel's age, I doubt it.wink.gif

Old 03-25-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Considering Vettel's age, I doubt it.wink.gif
I know all this talk is just for fun but it doesnt really have to do with his age. If Ferrari offers a competitive ride and you turn it down they arent going to ask again. As you noted, there is other talent out there. And you talk about people standing in line...smile.gif

Old 03-25-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone hear weather or not Ferrari called Fernando into the pits after lap 1? Seemed kinda quiet on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

No it wouldn't work. But it would be an epic season for F1 fans. I say do it. smile.gif
Old 03-25-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Anyone hear weather or not Ferrari called Fernando into the pits after lap 1? Seemed kinda quiet on that one.
No it wouldn't work. But it would be an epic season for F1 fans. I say do it. smile.gif
Alonso and the team say that they told him not to pit.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Who is the only team to make their own engine AND chassis?

Old 03-25-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Ferrari and Lotus.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:

Alonso and the team say that they told him not to pit.

Yeah, they said that, but it took them awhile to say it. I wonder if its really true or they decided to tell that story.......

never take life seriously