Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 4793 Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 838
If I remember correctly Honda and Toyota have been in F1 at some time with some success but not together. Seems like I have recently heard rumors of one of them possibly making a return. With Honda being big into IndyCar I doubt they could afford both.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4793 Old 01-09-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post

I agree with you on this. smile.gif
I do hope there are more competitive cars this year, vs. Red Bull clearly having the strongest car. Would love to see Ferrari and McLaren back at top form again. Here's to hoping the back markers are able to get even closer to the top tier teams, I always found it crazy that there are cars in the same field that are outside the 107% rule from time to time.
-JR
I don't think Red Bull clearly had the strongest car all year. They did at some races. They had the aero but some mechanical reliability problems. That doesnt make you clearly the strongest car. Hamilton outqualified Vettel several times too. It is Ferrari who clearly have a lot of work to do. I think 2012 was an awesome season except that Alonso needed 4 more points.

post #93 of 4793 Old 01-09-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

If I remember correctly Honda and Toyota have been in F1 at some time with some success but not together. Seems like I have recently heard rumors of one of them possibly making a return.
They pulled out due to costs (as BMW did).
However, if they were to split the bill, maybe it would make sense for them to make another try.

Toyota is making a big push at Le Mans this year and could very easily take a victory.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #94 of 4793 Old 01-09-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

They pulled out due to costs (as BMW did).
However, if they were to split the bill, maybe it would make sense for them to make another try.
Toyota is making a big push at Le Mans this year and could very easily take a victory.
Nothing is very easy at Le Mans. I can't think of that Toyota with the front wheels real close together? That car is very cool. I believe that was a prototype when they were deciding on a new IndyCar a couple of years ago. It bummed me out to see it get punted out of the race so early. Beating Audi will be difficult.

post #95 of 4793 Old 01-09-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Nothing is very easy at Le Mans. I can't think of that Toyota with the front wheels real close together? That car is very cool. I believe that was a prototype when they were deciding on a new IndyCar a couple of years ago. It bummed me out to see it get punted out of the race so early. Beating Audi will be difficult.

That's the DeltaWing, which was designed by Chip Ganassi's guys, that somehow ended up badged a Nissan for Le Mans.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #96 of 4793 Old 01-09-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Which car are you talking about? The only car at Le Mans last year with a narrow front track was the DeltaWing and that is Nissan powered, and not a works effort.

Toyota's car is the TS030 Hybrid, a regulation closed-top LMP1. It is what will battle Audi for the win at Le Mans. It was that Toyota that took the DeltaWing out at Le Mans 2012.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #97 of 4793 Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

Which car are you talking about? The only car at Le Mans last year with a narrow front track was the DeltaWing and that is Nissan powered, and not a works effort.
Toyota's car is the TS030 Hybrid, a regulation closed-top LMP1. It is what will battle Audi for the win at Le Mans. It was that Toyota that took the DeltaWing out at Le Mans 2012.
I knew that Toyota had a hybrid in the top class but I thought that Delta Wing was a Toyota too.

post #98 of 4793 Old 01-09-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I knew that Toyota had a hybrid in the top class but I thought that Delta Wing was a Toyota too.

It was it's own entry in an experimental class.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #99 of 4793 Old 01-09-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I knew that Toyota had a hybrid in the top class but I thought that Delta Wing was a Toyota too. The Delta Wing is not in the top class is it?

The DeltaWIng ran as an experimental car at Le Mans, not in any class. Ditto for Petit Le Mans where I saw it run. Performance-wise, it is closer to the LMP2 cars.

In 2014 the DeltaWing will run in the new combined class that merges ALMS LMP2 cars with the Grand Am Daytona Protoype (DP) cars. No doubt the France family will do everything they can to highlight the DPs and cripple everything that is great about LMP2.

post #100 of 4793 Old 01-09-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

It was it's own entry in an experimental class.
Thats right. Wasn't there some complaining from the other teams that it would just be in the way?

post #101 of 4793 Old 01-09-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

The DeltaWIng ran as an experimental car at Le Mans, not in any class. Ditto for Petit Le Mans where I saw it run. Performance-wise, it is closer to the LMP2 cars.

In 2014 the DeltaWing will run in the new combined class that merges ALMS LMP2 cars with the Grand Am Daytona Protoype (DP) cars.
You do know your stuff, sir.smile.gif

Quote:
No doubt the France family will do everything they can to highlight the DPs and cripple everything that is great about LMP2.
God, I hope not.
I have never been able to get into the DP series.....all the cars look the same, who cares what engine manufacturer is involved?

The great thing about ALMS is the cars all look different, even in the prototype classes.
And this has been especially true over the years with their great GT1&2 classes.

It's a lot of fun to get behind teams who field cars that are similar to street cars (vette, porsche, M3, 458 Italia, viper, etc.)
This is very much the case when you or someone you know has one at home in the garage.wink.gif

post #102 of 4793 Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I saw the ALMS Cars race at Mid Ohio when I went to the IndyCar race. Would you believe who was stomping a mud puddle in the competition? ...Cadillac! Their cars were so much louder than the competition too I couldn't believe it. Very cool!

post #103 of 4793 Old 01-09-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

You do know your stuff, sir.smile.gif
God, I hope not.
I have never been able to get into the DP series.....all the cars look the same, who cares what engine manufacturer is involved?

The great thing about ALMS is the cars all look different, even in the prototype classes.
And this has been especially true over the years with their great GT1&2 classes.

It's a lot of fun to get behind teams who field cars that are similar to street cars (vette, porsche, M3, 458 Italia, viper, etc.)
This is very much the case when you or someone you know has one at home in the garage.wink.gif

ALMS has been a great series. My wife and I have been to about a dozen races since 2007, mostly Petit Le Mans and Sebring. My favorite part was 2007-09 when Audi and Porsche had their great battles between the Audio R10 and the Porsche RS Spyder.

The new series will be controlled by those who run Grand Am.

Daytona Prototypes is more-or-less a spec series. The cars are not very interesting — IMHO — and the performance balance=ing to combine them with LMP2 has to mean penalizing the latter. I am not encouraged. They should just scrap the DPs.

post #104 of 4793 Old 01-09-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I saw the ALMS Cars race at Mid Ohio when I went to the IndyCar race. Would you believe who was stomping a mud puddle in the competition? ...Cadillac! Their cars were so much louder than the competition too I couldn't believe it. Very cool!

The Cadillacs were World Challenge GT, not ALMS. When it was Speed World Challenge it was a support series for ALMS. When did you see them at Mid Ohio. Was it the CTS-V sedans or the newer Coupes.

Nevertheless, I agree. The Caddy's are fantastic to watch. The sedans were really great cars and the drivers were not afraid to trade paint. We saw some great World Challenge wet races at Road Atlanta. What a hoot!

post #105 of 4793 Old 01-09-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There will be some big changes since they combined Grand Am and ALMS. Should be interesting. Just hope they don't mess it up.

post #106 of 4793 Old 01-09-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The Cadillacs were World Challenge GT, not ALMS. When it was Speed World Challenge it was a support series for ALMS. When did you see them at Mid Ohio. Was it the CTS-V sedans or the newer Coupes.

Nevertheless, I agree. The Caddy's are fantastic to watch. The sedans were really great cars and the drivers were not afraid to trade paint. We saw some great World Challenge wet races at Road Atlanta. What a hoot!
I saw them in 2012. Pirelli World Challenge was there too it seems like. I am almost certain ALMS was there. Not sure what kind of Caddy. I spent the whole weekend there and it was awesome. Fri, Sat and Sun. I was there mostly for IndyCar but they had 5 or 6 other series there also so I could easily be confused abouth the series.
edit Now that I think about it you are right. The PWC was support for ALMS. They also had some Mazda 3000 or something that was like Jr IndyCar.
edit #2 It did rain some while we were there also and that made it interesting.
edit #3 Road Atlanta may be my next stop. I have done Indy several times, Kentucky Speedway a couple of times and Mid Ohio. Atlanta is a great course and not far. I think I'm done with the ovals unless some great opportunity presents itself.

post #107 of 4793 Old 01-09-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I saw them in 2012. Pirelli World Challenge was there too it seems like. I am almost certain ALMS was there. Not sure what kind of Caddy. I spent the whole weekend there and it was awesome. Fri, Sat and Sun. I was there mostly for IndyCar but they had 5 or 6 other series there also so I could easily be confused abouth the series.

That's the CTS-V Coupe, driven by Johnny O'Connell (long time Corvette Racing driver in ALMS) and Andy Pilgrim (former Speed World Challenge driver's champion in the CTS-V sedan).

When Pilgrim was still racing the CTS-V sedan he gave my wife and me a personal tour of his car and garage at Road America (in 2008). That's something you'll never get with F1, unless you're a VIP. What a nice guy. Johnny is great guy too. Both very friendly and very fan accessible. smile.gif

post #108 of 4793 Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Cool! I had pit passes at Mid Ohio and I couldnt believe how accessible the drivers and teams were in the Paddock. I got massive numbers of autographs just by walking around in the paddock area and watching the guys working on the cars. I got one from Rubens Barichello because I just happened to be there when he came out of his trailer. He seems like a really nice guy. I bought a really nice IndyCar hat that is mostly white and got all my sigs on there. Some of them overlap I got so many. Needless to say it hangs on my wall and will never be worn.

post #109 of 4793 Old 01-09-2013, 11:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

They should just scrap the DPs.
+10000000

Quote:

That's the CTS-V Coupe, driven by Johnny O'Connell (long time Corvette Racing driver in ALMS) and Andy Pilgrim (former Speed World Challenge driver's champion in the CTS-V sedan).
Because there is a 2012 CTS-V Coupe in my garage now, I have been waiting impatiently for someone, somewhere to broadcast this last year's races.mad.gif

post #110 of 4793 Old 01-10-2013, 04:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If its as loud as the race cars your neighbors are gonna hate you. smile.gif Im tellin ya those Cadillacs were way louder than anything else. eek.gif Not your fathers sedan is damn right.
Didnt a CTS-V hold the record lap for a production car at the Nuerbergring for a short time a few years ago? I could swear I read that somewhere.

post #111 of 4793 Old 01-10-2013, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If its as loud as the race cars your neighbors are gonna hate you. smile.gif Im tellin ya those Cadillacs were way louder than anything else. eek.gif Not your fathers sedan is damn right.
Didnt a CTS-V hold the record lap for a production car at the Nuerbergring for a short time a few years ago? I could swear I read that somewhere.

Nope

7:59 Cadillac CTS-V (2009)

post #112 of 4793 Old 01-10-2013, 05:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nope

Yi. That's right. They were bragging that it was under 8:00. Damn fast.

post #113 of 4793 Old 01-10-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Yi. That's right. They were bragging that it was under 8:00. Damn fast.

It's still considered fast! The funny part was that they shocked the European manufacturers when they did it. They were thinking up until then that American performance cars were only fast in a straight line! I owned a 2006 CTS-V and saw them race at Long Beach. Yes they sounded so sweet going around the circuit. The best part was the support race was held after the IndyCar race and was much more exciting. I just bought a 2013 Camaro ZL1, Wow this car is amazing around corners! The 2012 Camaro ZL1 did the Nordschleife in 7:41:27.
post #114 of 4793 Old 01-10-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

8:00 is sort of the magical time at the Nuerbergring. Anything below it is sort of considered an elite class.

post #115 of 4793 Old 01-10-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

8:00 is sort of the magical time at the Nuerbergring. Anything below it is sort of considered an elite class.

Looks like my car just makes the threshold. biggrin.gif

7:55 Subaru WRX STI

post #116 of 4793 Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I read an article of a test between one of those and a Lamborghini Gallardo a few years back and the Subaru held its own nicely. It was one of those "Is it worth it to spend 10 times as much?" articles.

post #117 of 4793 Old 01-10-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nope

The Porsche Panamerica was 3 seconds faster than the Caddy sedan.

GM hasn't bothered to time the CTS-V Coupe, which is a 100 lbs lighter than the sedan, at the Nurburgring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

I just bought a 2013 Camaro ZL1, Wow this car is amazing around corners! The 2012 Camaro ZL1 did the Nordschleife in 7:41:27.
GM's magnetic suspension setup is the best there is IMO.

post #118 of 4793 Old 01-10-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Gotta love Kimi:

Kimi Raikkonen has clarified his aversion to sophisticated Formula One simulator technology, insisting he simply "learns nothing" at the computerized wheel.

An avowed fan of idol James Hunt's bygone days, 2007 World Champion Raikkonen has always sounded unenthusiastic when asked about the simulator technology that has replaced F1's former days of expensive track testing.

That sparked rumors that, like Michael Schumacher, simulators give the famous Finn motion sickness, or that perhaps the former Ferrari and McLaren driver is claustrophobic.

Raikkonen's new team, Lotus, has now developed a brand new simulator at its Enstone base, but it appears only teammate Romain Grosjean will be at the wheel.

"I just think that I can learn nothing in the simulator," the 33-year-old is quoted by Switzerland's Speed Week.

"I learn a new track quickly, without a simulator," added Raikkonen.

Indeed, when Lotus' new simulator was up and running prior to Austin last November, Grosjean lapped the virtual circuit many times but was still immediately outpaced in real life by Raikkonen, who got his first taste of the US layout in Friday practice.
oryan_dunn likes this.

post #119 of 4793 Old 01-10-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I read an article of a test between one of those and a Lamborghini Gallardo a few years back and the Subaru held its own nicely. It was one of those "Is it worth it to spend 10 times as much?" articles.

In my case it was a "Is it worth it to spend $25K more for a BMW?" decision. I had been a huge BMW fan for years, and had a '05 M3. I wanted to get a 135is or 1 Series M Coupe, but the prices for new BMWs have gone out of control.

I got a 2011 Subaru STi sedan and have not looked back. It's a great car, has performance comparable to my old M3, and the Subaru AWD is just fantastic. Fit and finish is not up to BMW standards, but is close enough and quite nice nevertheless. Mine also has the Alcantara interior, and I have come to enjoy that better than any cloth or leather interior I've ever had. It is super grippy and does a great job keeping me planted in my seat. One other thing. It has better steering too (it's not so heavy & fatiguing as the M3 and the MINI JCW I had).

post #120 of 4793 Old 01-10-2013, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

Looks like my car just makes the threshold. biggrin.gif

7:55 Subaru WRX STI

The Porsche Boxster S has a time of 7:56.85 recorded. I am a happy owner. biggrin.gif
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page