AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2013/7/14798.html

Am I reading this right? Sirotkin is already bought and paid for to be a Russian driver for Sauber in 2014?

Looks like a Russian GP is very likely for 2014. With New Jersey looming I wonder what 2013 tracks will get the axe?

I guess this means Vladimir Putin will be test driving a Sauber rather than his previous Renault. I think he has traded down.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 4793 Old 07-15-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Hey now, Maldonado bears a striking resemblance to another, uh, handsome man...

Hmmm. There's something Fishy going on here!

wink.gif
post #2523 of 4793 Old 07-16-2013, 01:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 826
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2013/7/14802.html

Marussia to use Ferrari engines in 2014

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #2524 of 4793 Old 07-16-2013, 04:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Rookie Marquez leading the MotoGP Championship. eek.gif
Lorenzo and Pedrosa both having a broken collarbone probably helps but thats still pretty amazing.

post #2525 of 4793 Old 07-16-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Rookie Marquez leading the MotoGP Championship. eek.gif
Lorenzo and Pedrosa both having a broken collarbone probably helps but thats still pretty amazing.

Pedrosa's biggest issue was the concussion he received after crashing at turn 1. The shoulder FX is a hairline crack. Time for Marquez to either win it or bin it at Laguna Seca.

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #2526 of 4793 Old 07-16-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ron Howard and a great drive in a Ferrari F12 (730hp) is on Top Gear this week.

post #2527 of 4793 Old 07-16-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post

Quote:

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2013/7/14798.html

Am I reading this right? Sirotkin is already bought and paid for to be a Russian driver for Sauber in 2014?

Looks like a Russian GP is very likely for 2014. With New Jersey looming I wonder what 2013 tracks will get the axe?

I guess this means Vladimir Putin will be test driving a Sauber rather than his previous Renault. I think he has traded down.

Brian
I've heard rumours about outright buying Sauber. I'd say two Russian F1 teams may be too much. It will start looking like tennis.
post #2528 of 4793 Old 07-16-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Looks like Daniel Ricciardo has the inside line on JEV:
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-daniel-ricciardo-gets-chance-to-stake-claim-for-rbr-seat/

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #2529 of 4793 Old 07-17-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Looks like El Supremo will be spending much more on legal counsel....

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/17/motor-racing-ecclestone-idUSL6N0FN2OA20130717

The future of F1 will be different without him.

post #2530 of 4793 Old 07-17-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Just like it's sad that the France family runs NASCAR, it's even sadder that someone like Bernie runs F1. The sport belongs to the drivers, teams, and fans not the whims of some doofus running the sanctioning body.
post #2531 of 4793 Old 07-17-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Looks like El Supremo will be spending much more on legal counsel....

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/17/motor-racing-ecclestone-idUSL6N0FN2OA20130717

The future of F1 will be different without him.

He has admitted paying Mr Gribkowsky but denies it was a bribe.

Instead, Mr Ecclestone says the banker had threatened that if he were not paid, he would give HM Revenue & Customs alleged details of Mr Ecclestone’s tax affairs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/9770960/Ecclestone-admits-bribe-case-could-end-F1-reign.html

Uh, isn't that the definition of a bribe? Pay me to influence me into doing something?

Just because you don't call it a bribe Bernie doesn't mean it isn't.

bribe (brb)
n.
1. Something, such as money or a favor, offered or given to a person in a position of trust to influence that person's views or conduct.
2. Something serving to influence or persuade.
post #2532 of 4793 Old 07-17-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

As much as I dont really care for the guy personally I have to admit he has done well by F1 and thats all that really matters to me. I dont expect to be having dinner with him any time soon.
If he does go I hope the next guy doesnt run F1 into the ground.

post #2533 of 4793 Old 07-17-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Just like it's sad that the France family runs NASCAR, it's even sadder that someone like Bernie runs F1. The sport belongs to the drivers, teams, and fans not the whims of some doofus running the sanctioning body.
While I certainly appreciate the sentiment, drivers, teams and fans cant run a multibillion dollar global company very well.

post #2534 of 4793 Old 07-17-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

post #2535 of 4793 Old 07-17-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

For better or worse, B.E. has hammered F1 into a successful autoracing business....something few (with the exception of the France Family) have been able to do.
For me at least, he is a mixed bag, but I won't deny the F1 show works very well.

I am not sure what RB has in mind for the kid.

I think, ultimately, whoever drives for them next year will have to have Vettel's approval.
Having a pi$$ed off 3 time World Champion (and one of the greatest drivers ever) on your team is suicidal.
If RB has shown anything over the years it is they are very VERY smart.wink.gif

post #2536 of 4793 Old 07-17-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

The France family and NASCAR deserve each other. As much as we like the hate Bernie, he does keep F1 humming along.

The real sadness is that starting next year the France family will control all top tier sports car racing in America.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #2537 of 4793 Old 07-17-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

He has admitted paying Mr Gribkowsky but denies it was a bribe.

Instead, Mr Ecclestone says the banker had threatened that if he were not paid, he would give HM Revenue & Customs alleged details of Mr Ecclestone’s tax affairs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/9770960/Ecclestone-admits-bribe-case-could-end-F1-reign.html

Uh, isn't that the definition of a bribe? Pay me to influence me into doing something?

Just because you don't call it a bribe Bernie doesn't mean it isn't.

bribe (brb)
n.
1. Something, such as money or a favor, offered or given to a person in a position of trust to influence that person's views or conduct.
2. Something serving to influence or persuade.

Seems more like extortion to me.

Brian
post #2538 of 4793 Old 07-17-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

For better or worse, B.E. has hammered F1 into a successful autoracing business....something few (with the exception of the France Family) have been able to do.
For me at least, he is a mixed bag, but I won't deny the F1 show works very well.
I am not sure what RB has in mind for the kid.

I think, ultimately, whoever drives for them next year will have to have Vettel's approval.
Having a pi$$ed off 3 time World Champion (and one of the greatest drivers ever) on your team is suicidal.
If RB has shown anything over the years it is they are very VERY smart.wink.gif

I agree with both points. First, although Bernie Ecclestone is something only a mother could love, it's hard to argue against the proposition that he has been good for F1. He has essentially run the series since the '70s and it has remained the premier automobile racing series ever since. Bernie has always been an autocratic sleazeball but that doesn't mean that he hasn't been an effective and farsighted manager.

I also agree that Red Bull is unlikely to try to stick a new driver down Vettel's throat. Vettel is likely the greatest current driver in F1 and is on his way to being one of the greatest of all time. It is in the team's best interests to do what it takes to keep him happy.
post #2539 of 4793 Old 07-17-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seems more like extortion to me.

Brian

That, of course, will be the legal argument. I am far from an expert on this, but Mr Gribkowsky used extortion to get money from Bernie. The money that Bernie paid was a bribe. Is that not accurate?

I guess since Bernie was extorted first, he is not responsible for the bribe. If he had approached Mr Gribkowsky with the bribe before being extorted, then he would be "guilty". I am sure with the mega buck attorneys that Bernie has, he will be just fine.

You or I on the other hand........

The real interesting thing is, why did he pay in the first place? What did he have to hide?
post #2540 of 4793 Old 07-17-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I also agree that Red Bull is unlikely to try to stick a new driver down Vettel's throat. Vettel is likely the greatest current driver in F1 and is on his way to being one of the greatest of all time. It is in the team's best interests to do what it takes to keep him happy.

Personally, I don't think Vettel is better than Alonso and Kimi. He's a great driver and a natural, but I wouldn't count out Fred and The Iceman given the same equipment.

post #2541 of 4793 Old 07-17-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

Personally, I don't think Vettel is better than Alonso and Kimi. He's a great driver and a natural, but I wouldn't count out Fred and The Iceman given the same equipment.
+1 Theyre all great drivers.
No way Vettel is better than Alonso in my book. Has everyone forgotten that Alonso was leading by 42 points last year in a clearly inferior car before he got 2 DNFs in a row that werent his or the teams fault and still only lost the Championship by 3 points? As far as Im concerned Alonso is the one that should have 3 Championships to Vettels 2. In fact Alonso could easily have 4 titles. He lost another year by only a few points.
Vettel is a great driver that has been in the right places at all the right times. Nothing real special about him imo. Time will tell. I doubt he will be driving the dominant car his whole career.
It will be very interesting to see Raikkonen at RB next year. Thats what I think will happen.

post #2542 of 4793 Old 07-17-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No way Vettel is better than Alonso in my book. Has everyone forgotten that Alonso was leading by 42 points last year in a clearly inferior car before he got 2 DNFs in a row that werent his or the teams fault and still only lost the Championship by 3 points? As far as Im concerned Alonso is the one that should have 3 Championships to Vettels 2. In fact Alonso could easily have 4 titles. He lost another year by only a few points.
Vettel is a great driver that has been in the right places at all the right times. Nothing real special about him imo. Time will tell. I doubt he will be driving the dominant car his whole career.
It will be very interesting to see Raikkonen at RB next year. Thats what I think will happen.

We usually have this conversation once a year, and there's a lot of agreement around here about Alonso being the best. It was obvious last year that he got the maximum out of an inferior car.

Vettel is still an open book. If he didn't drive for the best team (as of now), if Newey worked for a different team, etc., it seems like he really did luck out with his ride. We're not going to know until he pulls a Lewis and drives for a different team, or the other teams catch up. The fundamental weakness of F1 is the fact that money talks and those with the most money talk the loudest. The cars never start with an even slate.
post #2543 of 4793 Old 07-17-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

We usually have this conversation once a year, and there's a lot of agreement around here about Alonso being the best. It was obvious last year that he got the maximum out of an inferior car.

Vettel is still an open book. If he didn't drive for the best team (as of now), if Newey worked for a different team, etc., it seems like he really did luck out with his ride. We're not going to know until he pulls a Lewis and drives for a different team, or the other teams catch up. The fundamental weakness of F1 is the fact that money talks and those with the most money talk the loudest. The cars never start with an even slate.

I am very curious to see what would happen if Kimi went to Red Bull and the team let him and Seb fight it out.

post #2544 of 4793 Old 07-17-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

I say that we put them all in equally prepared Marussia's, and let them duke it out.

Or better yet, we drag Vettel, Alonso, Raikonnen, and Hamilton to the closest Malibu Gran Prix, buy a crap load of tickets, and sit back and watch.

BTW, Horner made good on his threat for RB to do their own tire test.

post #2545 of 4793 Old 07-17-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am very curious to see what would happen if Kimi went to Red Bull and the team let him and Seb fight it out.

LOL. Lots of people would love that, but I can't see RB letting that happen. Kimi is a character, to say the least, and he's got a strong independent streak. I can't see him accepting Vettel as lead driver. And I don't think the team would want the fireworks.
post #2546 of 4793 Old 07-17-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Whe Do People Hate Vettel

Why Sebastian Vettel is a special talent despite what haters say

Just how good is Sebastian Vettel?

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #2547 of 4793 Old 07-17-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I say that we put them all in equally prepared Marussia's, and let them duke it out.

Or better yet, we drag Vettel, Alonso, Raikonnen, and Hamilton to the closest Malibu Gran Prix, buy a crap load of tickets, and sit back and watch.

Bring it on!!!

BTW, great picture.
post #2548 of 4793 Old 07-17-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:

No way Vettel is better than Alonso in my book. Has everyone forgotten that Alonso was leading by 42 points last year in a clearly inferior car

This always amazes me. Alonso is the one who propagated the myth that the Ferrari was an inferior car. Formula One Hard Fact - Inferior cars never consistently finish towards the top. I don't care how good the driver is.

Alonso is a great driver, but he will throw anyone and anything under the bus if he doesn't win.
post #2549 of 4793 Old 07-17-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The real sadness is that starting next year the France family will control all top tier sports car racing in America.
I am not thrilled by that either.
All we can do at this point is hope for the best.

Quote:

If he does come over, it means Seb is pretty darn secure in his own skills.wink.gif

At the moment, there are 4 guys who are obviously in the Top Tier: Vettel, Alonso, Raikonnen, and Hamilton.
It may just come down to flipping a coin between them.

post #2550 of 4793 Old 07-17-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

From the young drivers test at Silverstone today:

1. Kevin Magnussen McLaren 1m33.602s 100
2. Paul di Resta Force India 1m33.774s 58
3. Antonio Felix da Costa Red Bull 1m33.821s 82
4. James Calado Force India 1m33.986s 27
5. Daniel Juncadella Williams 1m34.098s 55
6. Johnny Cecotto Toro Rosso 1m34.193s 75
7. Robin Frijns Sauber 1m34.236s 72
8. Nicolas Prost Lotus 1m34.810s 72
9. Davide Rigon Ferrari 1m34.874s 76
10. Alexander Rossi Caterham 1m35.651s 69
11. Tio Ellinas Marussia 1m36.676s 36
12. Max Chilton Marussia 1m38.347s 27

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page