The Voice, Season 4, March 25th, 2013, NBC HD - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 411 Old 04-09-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
They don't film it all in a day. They make them wear the same clothes for the entirety of the audition shoot so that they can show auditions in any order that they choose to. This was covered in an interview last year, I believe. Ratings were up last night over the premiere. Somewhere out there FOX execs are wondering how it's possible that ratings can go up since their singing competitions have been nose-diving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 411 Old 04-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill 
Ratings were up last night over the premiere. Somewhere out there FOX execs are wondering how it's possible that ratings can go up since their singing competitions have been nose-diving.

I'm surprised that The Voice drew a 5.0 rating, with 14.03 million viewers when the college basketball championship (8.4 / 23.43 million) was the same night. That is a very strong show!

I wonder if this unwatchable season of Idol is actually driving audience members to The Voice.
post #93 of 411 Old 04-10-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 657
I don't feel the talent is quite as strong this season .. I'm hoping now that the battle rounds will start up that I'll see some begin to shine ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #94 of 411 Old 04-10-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I don't feel the talent is quite as strong this season .. I'm hoping now that the battle rounds will start up that I'll see some begin to shine ..

Same here. Like I said previously, I have yet to be amazed at any one performance. And I know you are in the same boat on this one, my wife last night said to me "Is Rock dead?" since we really haven't seen any true rockers this season. Unfortunately, for these types of shows, it sadly is. frown.gif

I'd really love to know how the audition rounds truly work. I mean, I highly doubt that it comes do to the very last performer before the teams are filled. So, that said, what happens to all the others that haven't performed if every team is full?
post #95 of 411 Old 04-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There are still 48 contestants at this point, and many have no shot of winning. The real talent contest doesn't begin until we get inside the top 10 (top 5 maybe?).

I'm worried that the Battle Rounds are just going to be blowouts, since each judge has a couple real performers and a lot of fodder. There always seems to be a few surprise battles that were unexpected though.

Also, over 5 months will have passed before the "Live" shows begin, so hopefully the artists have really made an effort to improve in that time.
post #96 of 411 Old 04-11-2013, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 202
The highlight of the show is Blake and Adam and their rivalry. Blake just cracks us up when he does stuff, especially in front of the other judges, and the things he says is just awesome. We could tell in this last episode just how much they carry the show because when it was just Shakira and Usher and they focused on them without showing the other two, it was a yawn fest for us.

post #97 of 411 Old 04-11-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

The highlight of the show is Blake and Adam and their rivalry. Blake just cracks us up when he does stuff, especially in front of the other judges, and the things he says is just awesome. We could tell in this last episode just how much they carry the show because when it was just Shakira and Usher and they focused on them without showing the other two, it was a yawn fest for us.

Shakira putting her leg up like Usher to sway that one guy was funny though. Funny, and hot. biggrin.gif
post #98 of 411 Old 04-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Breaking news!!

I love Shakira.smile.gif

That is all.
post #99 of 411 Old 04-11-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post

Breaking news!!

I love Shakira.smile.gif

That is all.

biggrin.gif
post #100 of 411 Old 04-16-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I love Blake and do think he's probably the best coach and is clearly the best entertainment on this show, but stuff like last night kinda irks me about him.

It's painfully obvious, by his own words, that he wants Country singers to advance regardless of who is the best singer up there. Now, the first time he picked using his Country bias I was fine with it because it was very close between Holly and Sasha. I even think Holly did better, but to pick the Swon Brothers over Christian Porter simply because they are Country pissed me off. Seriously, they sounded like they were nothing more than Christian's backup singers that whole battle. He totally owned that stage and that song and the brothers did nothing but sing backup.

Nevermind the fact that I really wanted to see Blake put his two duos up against each other, but now I can see why. They are both Country and it's obvious he didn't want to risk losing one by pairing them. Guaranteed the sister duo will move on, even if they are clearly inferior to who Blake puts them up against. rolleyes.gif

Oh, and Shakira was drop dead gorgeous last night. Post-pregnancy and straight hair really suits her.
post #101 of 411 Old 04-16-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Oh, and Shakira was drop dead gorgeous last night. Post-pregnancy and straight hair really suits her.
Yes she was!!!
post #102 of 411 Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed about Blake. The Swon Brothers have no chance of winning. The other guy was simply better, but maybe it didn't go over well during the recording, because no other judge took him. So who knows. Shakira looked amazing. Freakin' amazing.

The overnight ratings have the show posting its best numbers of the season so far. Yes, even better than the premiere episode.
post #103 of 411 Old 04-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

I thought the first hour was boring and really slow, the second hour was more interesting. Still lots of fast-forward and lame "after the break" decisions. mad.gif

The mentors added nothing at all this season.

The Swon Brothers were crippled by this particular battle format. Sharing a stage made their harmonies appear to look like backup singing to the other contestant. The fact that Blake assigned them another Tom Petty song further limited their range.

Judith Hill, who many have claimed was a ringer planted to win the competition from the start, looked shallow and weak compared to the other girl who literally ran circles around her. Judith has this sense of entitlement that won't win voters.

Bad night for Team Usher - crappy performance and he even lost a steal when the girl picked Shakira instead.
post #104 of 411 Old 04-17-2013, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Not enjoying the battlerounds this time so far. Far too much non-performance crap to fast forward through. Dump that crap and then maybe you wouldnt have to show 5-10 battles in a 30 second clip. Even if they were bad performances, I'd rather see them instead of 10 minutes of people saying the same crap in front of a piano and a mentor.
post #105 of 411 Old 04-17-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Not enjoying the battlerounds this time so far. Far too much non-performance crap to fast forward through. Dump that crap and then maybe you wouldnt have to show 5-10 battles in a 30 second clip. Even if they were bad performances, I'd rather see them instead of 10 minutes of people saying the same crap in front of a piano and a mentor.

Agreed.

All I could think while watching those recap battles is how would you feel if not only your audition wasn't shown, but then they relegated your battle to a quick snippet. Seriously, I don't even remember any of those people they showed in the clip so that must mean they had no televised audition either.

With these types of shows, a lot of it is about recognition as well as talent. If the viewing audience doesn't know you when it comes time for voting, they might be apt to not bother sending votes your way.
post #106 of 411 Old 04-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

^^Also agreed. I'm really hating the way they've changed the battle rounds - too much crap, dismissing some rounds to clips, and as also stated earlier - the mentors have almost no play in this round. Format changes suck!
post #107 of 411 Old 04-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am pretty sure that they just recapped some of the battles last season as well. I think they had 16 singers each, and of the 8 battles they probably skipped 3 or so per team. They also did two teams one week, then the other two teams the next week. This season they seem to be showing a little bit of everyone's team each week. Either way, I am not finding it that much different from last season.

As far as the singing goes, I thought that Blake made the wrong choice. The little country girl probably had a better night, but I think Caroline has a more unique voice and a lot more potential overall.
post #108 of 411 Old 04-17-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

I am pretty sure that they just recapped some of the battles last season as well. I think they had 16 singers each, and of the 8 battles they probably skipped 3 or so per team. They also did two teams one week, then the other two teams the next week. This season they seem to be showing a little bit of everyone's team each week. Either way, I am not finding it that much different from last season.

As far as the singing goes, I thought that Blake made the wrong choice. The little country girl probably had a better night, but I think Caroline has a more unique voice and a lot more potential overall.

You're 100 percent correct. The format definitely hasn't changed. The only thing that's changed from last season is they went from 16 on a team down to 12 this season. I think maybe it's the distinct lack of talent that's giving me issues this time around. I don't find fault with Blake for that choice. The little country girl was a good singer, but she lacks stage presence. The other girl seems like a one-note-wonder, but man is she gorgeous. I'll be interested to see what kind of songs they give her to showcase that Corrine Bailly Rae singing style of hers.
post #109 of 411 Old 04-17-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Maybe it's just me but if I wasn't a country singer, unless Blake was the only coach who turned around, I would go with any of the others. In two battle rounds his own country genre was the deciding factor. I don't recall his being so blatant about it last season. It seems to me that he may be limiting his chances to field an ultimate winner by not reaching more into other styles. Adam and Shakira look to be far more open to a variety of styles.
post #110 of 411 Old 04-17-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I don't find fault with Blake for that choice. The little country girl was a good singer, but she lacks stage presence. The other girl seems like a one-note-wonder, but man is she gorgeous. I'll be interested to see what kind of songs they give her to showcase that Corrine Bailly Rae singing style of hers.

In regards to that battle, did anyone else think they looked like Rachel Bilson and a young Lindsay Lohan?
post #111 of 411 Old 04-17-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Maybe it's just me but if I wasn't a country singer, unless Blake was the only coach who turned around, I would go with any of the others. In two battle rounds his own country genre was the deciding factor. I don't recall his being so blatant about it last season. It seems to me that he may be limiting his chances to field an ultimate winner by not reaching more into other styles. Adam and Shakira look to be far more open to a variety of styles.

Blake definitely has a type. It's country or it's quirky sounding alt-rock females. And those seem to do the best on iTunes, which appears to also sway his opinion a lot. I cant fault him for favoring what America pays the most money for.
post #112 of 411 Old 04-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Since the little country singer is a hometown girl (HOUSTON!), I gotta respectfully disagree and say I'm ecstatic she won and moved on.
post #113 of 411 Old 04-19-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm leaning the same direction .. eek.gif

I don't like the teaser previews that are used prior to the commercial break .. these should be eliminated and allow each Battle to air fresh without a prior snippet ..

I still don't have a clear favorite, although I like the Swon Brothers (probably because I like Tom Petty material) .. the Latino woman with the Power Lungs if she can get the right material is interesting ..

One thing I know without a doubt .. I have developed a great respect for Usher .. he clearly wants to win, he's fully commited and by George, he is absolutely being a great Coach ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #114 of 411 Old 04-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

I like the new coaches quite a bit as well, although Usher fell quite a bit in my books this week. Usher was a huge jerk in the last episode, just for the sake of being a jerk. The singing wasn't good during that one rehearsal, and it was clear the guy knew it and had some nervous laughter. Usher ragging on the guy for that was just a mean-spirited power/ego-trip. Every person deals with stress in different ways, and for Usher to not recognize that just shows how out of touch some of these successful young singers are. For me, Usher moved to the bottom of the judges with that classless bashing of a contestant. The whole thing just seemed out of place with the overall tone of the show in general.
post #115 of 411 Old 04-19-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

When Usher nailed the guy, I saw it differently .. as a musician myself .. yes, the guy messed up .. yes, there was some nervous laughter .. yes, Usher nailed him .. however, the music business is as competitive as anything out there and the Voice is a competition as well .. if Usher felt the guy was not taking it serious enough, and since I was not at the session to see first hand, I respect Ushers choice to inject the comments .. and later, like any good Coach, Usher let that incident go and moved on ..

Coaches all have a different style .. and I'd have to say Usher may lean closer to Bob Knight .. eek.gif

Uncle Willie

post #116 of 411 Old 04-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When Usher nailed the guy, I saw it differently .. as a musician myself .. yes, the guy messed up .. yes, there was some nervous laughter .. yes, Usher nailed him .. however, the music business is as competitive as anything out there and the Voice is a competition as well .. if Usher felt the guy was not taking it serious enough, and since I was not at the session to see first hand, I respect Ushers choice to inject the comments .. and later, like any good Coach, Usher let that incident go and moved on ..

Coaches all have a different style .. and I'd have to say Usher may lean closer to Bob Knight .. eek.gif
The thing is, I don't think Usher moved on. Both my wife and I said that no matter how the singing goes during the battle round, the guy that got reamed during the coaching sessions was going home. No question.

Also, I agree that Usher's coaching style may be much like Bobby Knight, but perhaps it is just my Canadian sensibilities - I find that aggressive, antagonistic behaviour to be totally old-school and unacceptable. There are far more effective methods for teaching and motivating if one can articulate their thoughts in a civilized and respectful manner.
post #117 of 411 Old 04-19-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The thing is, I don't think Usher moved on. Both my wife and I said that no matter how the singing goes during the battle round, the guy that got reamed during the coaching sessions was going home. No question.

Also, I agree that Usher's coaching style may be much like Bobby Knight, but perhaps it is just my Canadian sensibilities - I find that aggressive, antagonistic behaviour to be totally old-school and unacceptable. There are far more effective methods for teaching and motivating if one can articulate their thoughts in a civilized and respectful manner.

I agree that there may be a more loving way to coach .. take Adam and Blake for instance .. but, at the same time, we see an edited version of what happened, I'm sure made to emphasize Ushers temper flare up .. and I felt like he did move on .. I also felt the other guy won the Battle legitimately ..

I'll add that if, and I'm just guessing here, if this has been Ushers style pre-Voice, it does seem to be working for him .. wink.gif

Uncle Willie

post #118 of 411 Old 04-19-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think I can ever forgive Usher for giving us Justin Bieber. wink.gif
post #119 of 411 Old 04-19-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

I don't think I can ever forgive Usher for giving us Justin Bieber. wink.gif

Bingo! Hopefully Usher won't devolve into playing the fool in front of our eyes too.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #120 of 411 Old 04-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I agree that there may be a more loving way to coach .. take Adam and Blake for instance .. but, at the same time, we see an edited version of what happened, I'm sure made to emphasize Ushers temper flare up .. and I felt like he did move on .. I also felt the other guy won the Battle legitimately ..

I'll add that if, and I'm just guessing here, if this has been Ushers style pre-Voice, it does seem to be working for him .. wink.gif
I agree 100% that Usher is one amazingly successful cat and obviously knows his stuff. I am just saying that if it gets worse, I probably won't be watching it anymore! Definitely not cheering for his team already. And yeah, you are probably right that there was other stuff not shown that ticked Usher off. However, I can only go by what they showed us, and I didn't like that ugly side of him.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page