Gerry Anderson 1929 - 2012 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-26-2012, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
TV and Movie Producer Gerry Anderson, whos "Supermarionation" Series including Fireball XL-5, Stingray, Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlett, along with some grown-up fare such as UFO and Space: 1999 passed away today in a Nursing Home in England. He was 83.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I watched all of those shows with the exception of Captain Scarlett. R.I.P.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I loved watching Thunderbirds back in the late 60's as a kid and have even watched the DVDs on netflix as recently as this past summer. Great animation....Thunderbirds Are GO!
RIP Gerry.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thunderbirds has the honor of being the first Science-Fiction Show I saw. I was living in the Detroit, Michigan area at the time. In December of 1965 I returned home from school and tuned in to WWJ (Now WDIV) to watch Bozo the Clown. Instead, I was greeted by Then-President Johnson, who was holding a News Conference. mad.gif But us kids in the Detroit Area had a little trick up our sleeves, Canadian Television! cool.gif Switching over to CKLW across the river in Windsor, Ontario I beheld puppets flying spaceships and operating fancy gadgets (Some of which are now reality today). You know something? I Like! smile.gif Goodbye Bozo, Hello Thunderbirds! A year later T-Birds was taken off the air, much to my dismay. frown.gif But word got out there was a new "Space Show" on NBC. Tuning in to it, I beheld a strange looking spaceship that looked like what you'd get if you crossed a flying saucer with a jet aircraft. The Crew had a most unusual way of getting to a planet's surface, they'd get into a room and disintegrate themselves, then reassemble themselves on the planet. Oh yes, among the crew was this strange Alien Being with "Pointy Ears". Life was never the same after that. biggrin.gif