Zero Hour / ABC - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 255 Old 06-24-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I think Asuncion has good hospitals, it's the capital of Paraguay after all, I'm guessing if you ask the writers they stabilized her there and then the trip back to the US

Anyway, nice to see "Mr. Salamanca" in there

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 255 Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
No spoilers but I have now managed to watch all of the remaining episodes (no details on the hows and where,however). All I can say is that I got totally hooked as the series went on and ended up ripping through the shows in a couple of sittings. If you've been at all intrigued by Zero Hour, my advice is to stay with it until its conclusion. It's worth it. It kind of reminds me of any one of several of Dan Brown's Robert Langdon books. Watch it and just go with it.
post #183 of 255 Old 06-27-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

No spoilers but I have now managed to watch all of the remaining episodes (no details on the hows and where,however). All I can say is that I got totally hooked as the series went on and ended up ripping through the shows in a couple of sittings. If you've been at all intrigued by Zero Hour, my advice is to stay with it until its conclusion. It's worth it. It kind of reminds me of any one of several of Dan Brown's Robert Langdon books. Watch it and just go with it.

You know, we're going to have to tar and feather you. smile.gif

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #184 of 255 Old 06-27-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

You know, we're going to have to tar and feather you. smile.gif

I know. I'd horsewhip me if I had a horse biggrin.gif
post #185 of 255 Old 06-29-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 330
It's one thing to be completely predictable (I guessed the relic and the wife's allegiance in the first episode) but the plotting on this show is just baffling. I can't tell if the show is just full of holes or it's skipping over information because it would get in the way of the cast being some other location for a scenery change. Just as they seem to be able to fly to Europe and back in a couple of hours. Most of the time it seems the clocks offer clues to events that have not transpired at the time they were made.

Still baffled by the plane situation. Vincent destroyed it because ... ? Laila was told to get off because ... ? At the time she wasn't one of the shepherds so why did anyone care if a thieving junkie went down in flames?

And I find it hilarious that Hank is bemused by his origins yet at no point as anyone said the word "clone" even in passing. It's as if the show is making all the characters purposefully dumb that they don't even think of suggesting it so they can spin another "twist". I wouldn't be surprised if the Pyrates (hilarious!) were cloning apostles so they would reveal the locations of the clocks. Even though that makes no sense.

Equally dumb this week was the FBI agent who just couldn't figure out a way to place a map clue over an actual street map of Istanbul and they had to rely on the magazine layout gal to do the complex task of rotating it once to fit over the very tiny portion of onscreen map. rolleyes.gif

post #186 of 255 Old 06-29-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just enjoy the ride. Overthinking it sends you off into a direction where nothing much on TV or in movies makes sense.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #187 of 255 Old 06-29-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:

I just enjoy the ride. Overthinking it sends you off into a direction where nothing much on TV or in movies makes sense.
+1
post #188 of 255 Old 06-29-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

As I've mentioned multiple times before, a show can only use the excuse of being a "fun ride" if the show acknowledges that it should be fun - see: White Collar, National Treasure, Librarian etc. If the producers want to treat the show as a serious piece of dramatic fiction without any self-awareness or levity, then it needs to treat the writing and characters with some intelligence and logic, as befits a serious piece of dramatic fiction. There are multiple works that manage to be strong dramatic pieces without the gaping plot holes or massive lapses in character logic.

The show should be Raiders of the Lost Ark or National Treasure but the producers seem to think that they are operating at the same level of mystery and writing as The Name of the Rose. They aren't.

In fact the more of the Pyrates (still hilarious!) are revealed the more it feels like Paul Scheuring was rewatching John Doe and borrowed some of the elements. The religious order known as the Phoenix Group also did experimentation and had ties to the Vatican, they had a mute albino hitman, John was trying to find his wife who had been kidnapped by the group but was actually one of them, two rival groups were fighting for control of a relic and the fate of the world ...

no clocks in that show though.

post #189 of 255 Old 06-29-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nice episode tonight.

Guess Leila won't be going back to the convent. lol

post #190 of 255 Old 07-01-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Whatever its faults are, I'm still enjoying it. This is my second favorite *new* show of this past TV season (after Davinci's Demons). It's too bad it got killed off so early and they are burning it out over the summer. But I'm glad they are letting us see it one way or another.

-Mark
post #191 of 255 Old 07-01-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 259
It's a lot of fun, as long as you're willing to just sit back and enjoy how outlandish it is. I wish I had any hope that ABC would release it on Blu-ray, or even DVD. Is there some metric that ABC uses to decide whether its shows get a Blu-ray release? From what I can tell, unless you want to watch Lost, ABC doesn't release TV shows on Blu-ray.
post #192 of 255 Old 07-01-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Time travel or reincarnation? Seriously, those are the only two explanations an employee of Modern Skeptic can come up with as to why Hank looks like a dead Nazi and why he was also found as a lab experiment? What about clones? No? Nobody in the office has ever encountered the concept of cloning? Really? rolleyes.gif

Honestly the show is being so intentionally and stupidly obtuse by not even suggesting cloning I'm not sure I can even watch this as background material now.

And the plane sabotage gets even more retconned into nonsense this week. Previously Laila got off the plane at the last minute, now she never even made it to the plane to get off. And that's after it's revealed the chief shepherd booked her ticket using the identity that she erased when joining the shepherds ...

post #193 of 255 Old 07-02-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Cloning seems right, but if so, he was cloned in 1962, did they really had that technology available?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #194 of 255 Old 07-02-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Cloning seems right, but if so, he was cloned in 1962, did they really had that technology available?

I don't really care if it's the correct theory, I just want someone to actually suggest it because it's the most obvious. They way they are dancing around suggesting it makes me think that it is cloning that's responsible. Given the nature of the series, if the Nazi Pyrates had a secret cloning program they had been working on since the war it wouldn't be outside of plausibility. They even had a Boys From Brazil joke in the second episode.

post #195 of 255 Old 07-15-2013, 11:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

It's a lot of fun, as long as you're willing to just sit back and enjoy how outlandish it is. I wish I had any hope that ABC would release it on Blu-ray, or even DVD. Is there some metric that ABC uses to decide whether its shows get a Blu-ray release? From what I can tell, unless you want to watch Lost, ABC doesn't release TV shows on Blu-ray.

First off, ABC the network has no say as to what is released on any media. They are just the buyer that licenses the product for airing.

ABC Studios, OTOH, does have the rights for releasing the show on DVD/Blu-ray.

Yes, they are both under the umbrella of Disney. But they are separate operations.

Now, as to the criteria as to what is released on Blu-ray is extremely baffling. I believe that Lost and Once Upon a Time are the two most recent examples of Blu-ray releases. Everything else is DVD only.

Since this series is being a burn-off, there is no way that it will get Blu-ray treatment.

Hell, even very popular series like Castle still only comes out on DVD.

Warner Bros., OTOH, releases a majority of their product on Blu-ray. CBS Studios are so-so when it comes to Blu-ray releases. Same goes for 20th Cetury Fox.

Needless to say, I do not buy DVD releases of HD produced shows.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #196 of 255 Old 07-16-2013, 03:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I don't really care if it's the correct theory, I just want someone to actually suggest it because it's the most obvious. They way they are dancing around suggesting it makes me think that it is cloning that's responsible. Given the nature of the series, if the Nazi Pyrates had a secret cloning program they had been working on since the war it wouldn't be outside of plausibility. They even had a Boys From Brazil joke in the second episode.

From last Saturday's episode, I think we can confirm that it is cloning.

Given that the show was cancelled, do we know that they ended the series logically or did they just stop production leaving it hanging?

post #197 of 255 Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 AM
PMA

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I agree that the main characters are clones. Also, I believe the Amy Irving character is after Christ's DNA from the cross (or the bugs) to clone Him and bring about the second coming and end of days.
post #198 of 255 Old 07-16-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post

I agree that the main characters are clones. Also, I believe the Amy Irving character is after Christ's DNA from the cross (or the bugs) to clone Him and bring about the second coming and end of days.
+1
post #199 of 255 Old 07-16-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Given that the show was cancelled, do we know that they ended the series logically or did they just stop production leaving it hanging?

Both Zero Hour and 666 Park Avenue got cancelled early enough for their final episodes to get rewritten as series finales.
post #200 of 255 Old 07-16-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Both Zero Hour and 666 Park Avenue got cancelled early enough for their final episodes to get rewritten as series finales.
The end of 666 wasn't what I expected
post #201 of 255 Old 07-16-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

The end of 666 wasn't what I expected

Isn't there one more episode of 666? I thought I read on my info guide the last episode was part 1 of 2. I hope there's another episode left. I'm quite enjoying both 666 and Zero Hour.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #202 of 255 Old 07-16-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Isn't there one more episode of 666? I thought I read on my info guide the last episode was part 1 of 2. I hope there's another episode left.

Alas, that was but a clever ruse. 666 has breathed its last.
post #203 of 255 Old 07-16-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Isn't there one more episode of 666? I thought I read on my info guide the last episode was part 1 of 2. I hope there's another episode left. I'm quite enjoying both 666 and Zero Hour.
Said Season Finale in the info the recorded with mine, but I'd like to see part two. Also wouldn't be surprised if part two was the original season two season premier.
post #204 of 255 Old 07-16-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Said Season Finale in the info the recorded with mine, but I'd like to see part two. Also wouldn't be surprised if part two was the original season two season premier.

I'm sure it was.
post #205 of 255 Old 07-16-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Even if the script exists, it would probably no longer make sense in continuity, since episode 13 got rewritten. You'd also need to see the original episode 13 script, or at least the last few pages of it. Zero Hour, thankfully, was designed to have season-long mystery arcs.
post #206 of 255 Old 07-16-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 265
That's a bummer. Was hoping for one more episode. Sometimes you eat the bar, sometimes the bar eats you.wink.gif

Growing Older But Not Up
post #207 of 255 Old 07-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
'Zero Hour' has really picked up a nice pace and a shame they didn't show of its finer hours till these middle to end episodes. I'm enjoying the show much more with greater investment in the characters. The revelation last night of what White Vincent dug up and the emotional impact of the note was outstanding. Some of the surprises have been real interesting and wish ABC had given this a bit longer.

Derek
post #208 of 255 Old 07-17-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post

'Zero Hour' has really picked up a nice pace and a shame they didn't show of its finer hours till these middle to end episodes. I'm enjoying the show much more with greater investment in the characters. The revelation last night of what White Vincent dug up and the emotional impact of the note was outstanding. Some of the surprises have been real interesting and wish ABC had given this a bit longer.
+1
post #209 of 255 Old 07-17-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
This has been my favorite new show of the past season, and the only one I have watched more than one or two episodes. I'm really enjoying it. It's too bad there won't be more next season.
post #210 of 255 Old 07-17-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I would certainly have tuned in for season 2 as well. I wonder what mystery they would have been trying to solve in the second year...
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page