Zero Hour / ABC - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 255 Old 08-09-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Did anyone get the sense that the way they ended the series that it could be picked up later as a new series?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 255 Old 08-09-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 272
They left it open for a second season, which would have introduced a new mystery. The show was pitched as one that would cover a different conspiracy each year, IIRC.
post #243 of 255 Old 08-09-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Personally, I wish they had pitched it as a new conspiracy each week.

As it was, the "cat and mouse" game they set up just got old too quickly for me. It seemed to extend itself only through those "the guy just slipped away at the last moment" plotlines far too often.
post #244 of 255 Old 08-11-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I enjoyed the small TARDIS helicopters which managed to seat and lift 15 armed men into the mountains and a Huey that could carry about 20 kids and adults in relative comfort.

LOL. I needed to shoot plates for a movie a couple of years ago, and there was a pilot, a camera operator, and the director. The pilot would not let me in the helicopter because a 4th person (with the weight of the the gyro stabilized camera) would have been too much. So even though the plates were for me, I had to explain my shots to the others, and hope they filmed what I needed. I could have used those TARDIS helicopters back then. They had to land and kick the director out so that I could get in for one shot that nobody fully understood and it was obvious that I needed to direct the pilot for that shot.
post #245 of 255 Old 08-11-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

They at least made a decent effort to go to locations that didn't all look like SoCal.

Hardly any television drama is filmed in Southern California anymore, and its been that way for a while. Shows actually have to work really hard and do a lot of visual effects to make shows that are supposed to be set in SoCal look like SoCal. For example, 'Episodes', which shot in London for Los Angeles. The majority of TV dramas are shot in Vancouver, Toronto, and New York, with others shooting in Europe, Atlanta, Shreveport, and other cities offering the studios gratuitous tax breaks to film there. The days of many TV shows looking like Los Angeles are long gone.
baja7475 likes this.
post #246 of 255 Old 08-11-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

Hardly any television drama is filmed in Southern California anymore, and its been that way for a while. Shows actually have to work really hard and do a lot of visual effects to make shows that are supposed to be set in SoCal look like SoCal. For example, 'Episodes', which shot in London for Los Angeles. The majority of TV dramas are shot in Vancouver, Toronto, and New York, with others shooting in Europe, Atlanta, Shreveport, and other cities offering the studios gratuitous tax breaks to film there. The days of many TV shows looking like Los Angeles are long gone.
Yeah we've been getting a lot of film business in atlanta. Revolution, Walking Dead, Anchorman 2, and some Katherine Hiegle (?) movie that was filmed on my inlaws' street just to name a few. Vfxproducer, I'll buy you a beer if you're ever out this way, just hit me up.
post #247 of 255 Old 08-12-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Hey, don't forget Charlotte! 'Homeland', 'Banshee', and others shoot here. The Hunger Games and the Ironman movies filmed here recently. NC gives them phenomenal tax breaks, but they bring in most of their crew and take 'em back out when they leave. The number of local jobs "created" is actually quite small. But they do hire local catering and transport services for all those millions in tax breaks, so those guys do pretty well. Must be a couple dozen of those folks.

At the rate various southern states are falling over themselves to bequeath tax breaks on the Hollywood production companies, pretty soon we'll be paying them to film here. Ah, behold the new capitalism in the age of competitive incentives.
post #248 of 255 Old 08-12-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Hey, don't forget Charlotte! 'Homeland', 'Banshee', and others shoot here. The Hunger Games and the Ironman movies filmed here recently.

Did you forget to mention "Under the Dome" is filmed in NC too? wink.gif

post #249 of 255 Old 08-12-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Yeah we've been getting a lot of film business in atlanta. Revolution, Walking Dead, Anchorman 2, and some Katherine Hiegle (?) movie that was filmed on my inlaws' street just to name a few. Vfxproducer, I'll buy you a beer if you're ever out this way, just hit me up.

I'll take you up on that!
post #250 of 255 Old 08-12-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Did you forget to mention "Under the Dome" is filmed in NC too? wink.gif

Yeah, forgot about that one. In my defense, it's pretty forgettable. tongue.gif
VisionOn likes this.
post #251 of 255 Old 08-12-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At the rate various southern states are falling over themselves to bequeath tax breaks on the Hollywood production companies, pretty soon we'll be paying them to film here. Ah, behold the new capitalism in the age of competitive incentives.

You essentially are, already. I won't bore you with the details, but we're starting to see reports from independent auditors showing that for every taxpayer dollar a state spends on Hollywood tax incentives, only a small fraction comes back to the state in a meaningful way. These incentives aren't actually building a film community, since the studios are happy to pick up and move at almost a moments notice to whatever state is giving the best tax breaks at the moment. The incentives basically turn out to be taxpayer supported donations to Hollywood. Kind of like state-sponsored Kickstarter programs. It's turned out to be a pretty bad deal for local taxpayers, as the citizens of Vancouver have recently realized.
post #252 of 255 Old 08-12-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Very true. It's a Big Con. But the politicians point to all the millions that are spent as justification that they're actually doing something to "create jobs". And there is a certain small economic ripple effect, but since the high-paying positions are all internal to the production team and leave when the job is over, it's hard to see how there's any net benefit to the "indigenous population".

But I would have thought Vancouver was different based on the sheer size of the film industry there. Most of the shows I watch are filmed there, it seems. I always think of TV production is to Vancouver as plastic consumer items are to China. wink.gif
post #253 of 255 Old 08-12-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Sometimes I think the States just see it as some sort of glamorous trumpet blowing when a production "agrees" to do something .. much like the society we live in where Warhols 15 minute prediction is almost reality ..

I live on the Illinois side of St Louis so I tend to hear about either states "Hollywood" moments .. the articles in the papers, the 6 o'clock news bits .. etc .. the local extra calls ..

I'm sure the food truck guy / caterer does alright .. hotels rent some rooms .. but it always seemed to me that it's more flash than cash ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #254 of 255 Old 08-12-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But I would have thought Vancouver was different based on the sheer size of the film industry there.

Nah. Vancouver is kind of in a downward spiral, actually, as far as the film/TV business goes. The studios are crewing up most new shows in Toronto now, because of higher tax credits, so there are a lot of unemployed film people in BC right now.
post #255 of 255 Old 08-12-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Screen Gems just opened a new facility in Atlanta...
http://euescreengems.com/studios-support/atlanta/
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page