Banshee on Cinemax - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 113Likes

Old 05-20-2016, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post
It was a thompson. BARs are much larger and longer.
Cool, that was my 2nd guess, but it looked
A bit large (to me) to be a Thompson??

Anthem MRX-300-Outlaw Audio M2200
Rythmik F12 subs
Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)
Assassin HTPC (movies)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2016, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked: 741
I enjoyed the finale and really loved this show.
JoeTiVo and Young C like this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I enjoyed the finale and really loved this show.
I did as well.

The sexual content dropped as the seasons went by. The violent tone went up though

I saw a new series on Cinemax this evening. Hopefully it will be good
Old 05-20-2016, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

A couple of things.

I thought we might get some clarification of Dr. Hubbard (Erik King) and whether he had an underlying motive.

Once again, I was pretty well able to predict most of what happened but still enjoyed it.

I was glad they let the gang nod it out at the end. I loved the way the show imparted background by the flashes instead of other kinds of exposition.

The fight between Calvin and Kurt was really good in that I knew it wasn't a real fight. Anyone who has fought with a brother recognizes some of it. Calvin wanted to die and begged for it. Told Kurt that he wouldn't be free as long as he was alive.

The fight between Hood and Burton wasn't exactly the choreographed stuff. I've read Anthony Starr couldn't handle anymore of those types of fights but it was brutal nonetheless. We saw Hood go through his life but it was his promise to Deva which gave him the will to fight on.

Loved the way Carrie, Job and Brock handled the Proctor/Cartel matter. Brock really grew as a character. Afterwards, there was a short salute to the show and the actors and they said that, at the start, they didn't realize what Brock could do. Great showrunners find great talent and then adjust the show to suit the talent. This show did this.

Nice little thing at the end with Job and Sugar. Honor among thieves. Sugar's silent end piece was the cherry on top.
mnetop, Young C, gwsat and 1 others like this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Great review summary!

I've enjoyed watching this show with you guys. Another Cinemax legend. They really hit the scene fast and hard. Need more shoot 'em ups or fighting series in 2017.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post
Great review summary!

I've enjoyed watching this show with you guys. Another Cinemax legend. They really hit the scene fast and hard. Need more shoot 'em ups or fighting series in 2017.
And with you. Will miss this show.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post
Goodbye Gary
Actually she said "it's Carrie," referring to herself. I backed up and turned on closed captions because I thought she was referring to his real name.

Bobby 

Old 05-21-2016, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked: 1602
The Banshee series finale impressed me, as the show had come to do. Although, at its core, the series was loud and dumb and as emotionally overwrought as a tent show melodrama, it somehow developed dignity over the course of its four seasons. The ensemble cast was brilliant, so good, they made me care about them, even Kai Proctor and Clay Burton. The finale enhanced the great fondness I had developed for the show over its run. High marks to its writers for consistently being able to walk the tightrope between mindless sex and violence and effective drama, and to gracefully say goodbye. I will miss Banshee.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked: 1794
A clean, well crafted end to a great bit of Friday night escapism .. you never really know how invested you've become in a show until it ends .. and, on a side note, Job and Sugar should get a spin-off, IMO ..

I watched the opening reel for the first time in a long time .. did we ever discuss if the safe tumbler combination had any meaning .. ??

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 05-21-2016, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Goodbye old friend. I will miss you.
gwsat likes this.

These are just my opinions.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Just finished it and it was a nice wrap up.

Was that the FBI "file" on "Hood" on Brock's desk at the end? Did Hood give him full access at the end? To me it looked the same and the statement "that's your real name" leads me to believe that Hood left the file for him. Explains why Hood was at the Sheriff's Office.

Well at least I still have Game of Thrones.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...eap-build.html
Projector - Epson HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9 image or 143.5" 2.35:1 image on a screen painted wall; AVR - Yamaha RXV675 for 7.3; Speakers - Infinity Primus PC351, P363s, P163s, P153s; Subwoofers - 2 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 4 pairs JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player and six pairs of 3D glasses. Total cost only $2000.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
A clean, well crafted end to a great bit of Friday night escapism .. you never really know how invested you've become in a show until it ends .. and, on a side note, Job and Sugar should get a spin-off, IMO ..
Job is such a great character that it would be great to have him on a spin-off.

Indeed, it is one of those series finales where you feel even melancholic. What a Series, what a finale.

Cheers to you Banshee, good old friend. We will all miss you....
acebreathe likes this.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 716
I found it one of the best, if not the best series finale ever. A work of art. I pity anyone who stopped watching when the end credits rolled. The follow-up at the end was the cherry on top.

I was surprised when Carrie said goodbye to Gary. My birth name is Garrett but I was called Gary up until my high school graduation. I made the change the following day when I joined the Army.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I found it one of the best, if not the best series finale ever. A work of art. I pity anyone who stopped watching when the end credits rolled. The follow-up at the end was the cherry on top.

I was surprised when Carrie said goodbye to Gary. My birth name is Garrett but I was called Gary up until my high school graduation. I made the change the following day when I joined the Army.
Wasn't Gary. Hood said "Goodbye Anna" and she said: "Its Carrie" meaning that that was who she was now. The whole goodbye was saying goodbye to people who weren't the same anymore. Carrie was a mother and needed to be with Max.

See bobby94928's post above saying the same thing.

Didn't end with his name unless someone can blow up the FBI file and that still might not have his name other than John Doe.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

Go back and watch it again. He says "goodbye Anna". And she responds "it's Carrie" as she no longer has any ties to that previous life.
acebreathe likes this.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I watched the opening reel for the first time in a long time .. did we ever discuss if the safe tumbler combination had any meaning .. ??If I recall and that's a big if, the tumbler was used during the first season to unlock online content like a Banshee comic book and background stuff. Enjoyed the finale and agree if any two characters from this show deserve a spinoff it's Job and Sugar.

If I recall and that is a big if the tumbler was used in season 1 to unlock online content, like a Banshee comic book that was kind of a prequel. There was other content too but most of that made its way to the Banshee page on Cinemax's site. Liked the finale and agree if any two characters deserve a spin off show it's Job and Sugar. I loved how this show never tried to pretend it was something other than pure pulp.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
Just finished it and it was a nice wrap up.

Was that the FBI "file" on "Hood" on Brock's desk at the end? Did Hood give him full access at the end? To me it looked the same and the statement "that's your real name" leads me to believe that Hood left the file for him. Explains why Hood was at the Sheriff's Office.

Well at least I still have Game of Thrones.
Will have to go back and look if so it would make sense that he would pass it off to Brock. After all what would " Hood " need it for?
Old 05-22-2016, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I will have to go back and check this out.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 147
For what its worth, the combination is 21-4-20, whatever it means I have no clue, with that being said this was the finest series finale of any show since Six Feet Under, which remains to this day my all time favorite series finales of all time. This finale was a close second, but only by a nose, every loose end was tied up in a nice bow and Lucas rode off into the sunset to adventures unknown, even disappearing before our very eyes and we know he'll hook up with Job and continue on his merry way...eventually...

I am going to miss our weekly conversations....

Best line of the night? "That's right, we've just blown up your Fu*cking drugs". way to go Brock....

R.I.P. Banshee, you'll be severally missed....
gwsat and acebreathe like this.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post
For what its worth, the combination is 21-4-20, whatever it means I have no clue, with that being said this was the finest series finale of any show since Six Feet Under, which remains to this day my all time favorite series finales of all time. This finale was a close second, but only by a nose, every loose end was tied up in a nice bow and Lucas rode off into the sunset to adventures unknown, even disappearing before our very eyes and we know he'll hook up with Job and continue on his merry way...eventually...

I am going to miss our weekly conversations....

Best line of the night? "That's right, we've just blown up your Fu*cking drugs". way to go Brock....

R.I.P. Banshee, you'll be severally missed....
I loved Six Feet Under. It is one of my top 5 favorite shows of all time. That finale I can't get through without tears running down my face. This one was good very good as well.
gwsat likes this.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked: 1602
The Six Feet Under series finale is to my mind the finest of all time. That said, the Banshee finale was one of the best I have seen.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Great show.. At least it went out while it was still good, even near great. Too many shows milk it till they have nothing to say by the end of the series.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Did they ever show Sugar's bar with any customers in it this season? They barely did in other seasons. Thriving business he has there.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR View Post
Did they ever show Sugar's bar with any customers in it this season? They barely did in other seasons. Thriving business he has there.
It was like the high school library in Buffy, The Vampire Slayer. A running gag that no one was there other than the Scooby gang except for that 1 time.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR View Post
yes he has other customers .not many but you see them in the background.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I've been off for awhile...notes on the show...fairly psychotic in a good way...over the top violence and sex (good things), Kai and Burton were great characters as were the secondaries and protagonists. Making Anthony Starr fight all those monsters and winning must have been torture...he kept getting hurt, lol, with a double. There were too many shots he was actually in. They ended it in the right way and at the right time.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Sorry if this was previously mentioned.

"Hood's" new gig: American Gothic
Old 05-30-2016, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Sorry if this was previously mentioned.

"Hood's" new gig: American Gothic

that's got to be a joke.

Quit failing to flip the switch
Old 06-01-2016, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by OggideM View Post
that's got to be a joke.

He's a serial killer. It looks like the last season of Banshee was good training.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
He's a serial killer. It looks like the last season of Banshee was good training.

it was more in the 'original tv show of that name' had a 'tweener villain/hero' named Lucas

Quit failing to flip the switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement