post #271 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post

Imagine spending two weeks building a bond with someone only to realize how evil they can be. I think a lot of them just felt betrayed. Plus 8-6 is very different from 9-5. Especially if they mix up the tribes.

Well, on the flip side, I'd guess that the other Favorites watched Brandon in action previously and should have known what they were in for .. and if they were not resigned to losing a Tribe member, they could have run the challenge and let the chips fall ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
The favs asked Jeff to throw both hands in the air signifying their win and he said he would. Maybe I missed it but don't recall seeing it.

^ it didn't happen and the tribe didn't look very pleased when Reynold asked for it.
post #273 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Then how do you account for what the other tribe members apparently saw? confused.gif

They wanted him gone. Now, not later.

You thought I was serious?
post #274 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Glad that is over with. I have to say, as a long time Survivor fan who has watched every season, I have pretty much hated the casting this year. There is a reason I don't watch shows like Springer or Povich - I find nothing amusing about intentionally placing people into situations that they are mentally and emotionally unable to cope with. Both Shamar and Brandon are borderline unstable in normal situations, and when placed in the stressful conditions with little food, water, or emotional support, they become combative and irrational. If this is the direction the show will be going in future seasons, they may actually lose me as a viewer.

There have been a tremendous amount of great and compelling moments in Survivor history without any of these unstable type castaways. I personally hate how schadenfreude has somehow become a legitimate and acceptable form of TV entertainment. I had thought that Survivor was above that, though. Guess not.
post #275 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

I had thought that Survivor was above that, though. Guess not.
That was my point with the earlier post. CBS knew something like this was coming and is counting on it (same meltdown happened on Big Brother) to get viewership. First there's the issue if it worked and second is your point that this may not be the way to get an audience.
post #276 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkerbow View Post

I thnk more of a tribe mix-up rather than a merge. Still too many castaways.

yeah, there are still 14 left. i don't think they've ever merged that early. i would like to see the fans get a shot at making the numbers even. maybe they will be rejuvenated after getting this "win". just don't let sherri toss the coconuts!
post #277 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by timick1 View Post

Brandon is the poster boy for the gun control laws

biggrin.gif

Worst survivor episode ever.
post #278 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post

You thought I was serious?

Well, I sure didn't see any emoticons to indicate otherwise . . . wink.gif

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
post #279 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

There have been a tremendous amount of great and compelling moments in Survivor history without any of these unstable type castaways. I personally hate how schadenfreude has somehow become a legitimate and acceptable form of TV entertainment. I had thought that Survivor was above that, though. Guess not.

Sadly, I guess not .. it's the World we live in ..

Who knows .. ?? The Hantz clan seems to want to parlay their TV personas into a career ... maybe Brandon will show up on Big Brother .. a show I have not watched in years ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #280 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by timick1 View Post

Brandon is the poster boy for the gun control laws
smh, just as much the poster boy FOR gun rights if that kook was your neighbor and you had a family.
post #281 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post

nah he'll show. Remember, he did nothing wrong.
HE will be sitting right by Russell if he does. What a joke. I do think that it would've ended ,somewhat, more civilly if Phillip had not started lying about some of the things he said. CBS would've loved to have had a fight to promote instead of Jeff and the off screen staff tempering the situation.
post #282 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Was taking my cue from a previous poster. Since being excoriated awhile back re: not putting a spoiler on something, decided to be safe. wink.gif

The favs asked Jeff to throw both hands in the air signifying their win and he said he would. Maybe I missed it but don't recall seeing it.

Yeah I noticed he didn't throw up his hands either. I don't think he ever intended to follow through with the request, though. Just isn't the right thing to do in the situation.
post #283 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Sadly, I guess not .. it's the World we live in ..

Who knows .. ?? The Hantz clan seems to want to parlay their TV personas into a career ... maybe Brandon will show up on Big Brother .. a show I have not watched in years ..
Yeah, when Brandon had that machete in his hands I had a brief flashback to the Big Brother episode years ago when one of the "house guests" got evicted for threatening someone with a knife.
post #284 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

I guess I read too much into the previews about what Brandon was going to do last nite. Other than seeing him gone, was disappointed after the big buildup in the previews. I know I should know better but still let them suck me in on misleading previews. mad.gif

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Did the previews make it look like a merge next week?

BTW the Cream clip certainly brought back some memories. smile.gif IIRC, Was chasing a carrier in the South China Sea about that time.
I'm curious as to what the episode didn't give you that the TAR preview and the one before it promised. We got a full Hantz meltdown,a forfeit and new reveals about the Faves that we hadn't seen before. Hopefully the Hantz run on CBS is done. This wasn't a quit but he really did quit in a way when he forced the issue with his inHantzsanity.Get this guy a shrink please.
Even though Hantz''s meltdown was uncomfortable to watch I'm glad he is gone. Two of the biggest distractions this season are gone so that bodes well.
It was interesting to hear Phillip talk to Hantz about his inclusion in an F4 or F3, which Andrea hinted at in earlier episodes when she talked about getting rid of Corinne and putting in Brandon. Maybe that's why she was crying at tribal. Her plan blew up.
A tiribal swap pre-merge seems likely and would be welcome as it would shake things up and force open some of the cracks that are being revealed in the Faves alliances.
Yay CREAM.
post #285 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:

I think Brandon is just getting bad edits.

Oh my God, that is a joke right? They didn't edit together him doing and saying those things. He really DID dump the rice, and really DID dump the beans, and really DID say those things to Phillip. Regardless of how they were edited, the words came out of his mouth and he performed those acts.

post #286 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Oh my God, that is a joke right? They didn't edit together him doing and saying those things. He really DID dump the rice, and really DID dump the beans, and really DID say those things to Phillip. Regardless of how they were edited, the words came out of his mouth and he performed those acts.

Yes, I figured most would get that something that preposterous was a joke.

I thought it made it more funny that I DIDN'T have a winky. Maybe not...
post #287 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

Yes, I figured most would get that something that preposterous was a joke.

I thought it made it more funny that I DIDN'T have a winky. Maybe not...

But then, you ARE from the land of Rachael of BigBrother/AmazingRace fame..... I didn't know what to expect . . . biggrin.gif

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
post #288 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

not sure about phil's fighting skills but judging by that last challenge, he looks pretty strong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkerbow View Post

I wonder how good Shamar would have been in that reward challenge if he would have been around.

I also have to admit that Phil did better than I imagined in that challenge.

Next reward challenge reward: 20 pound bags of rice and beans.

Actually it was more about knowing how to haul on a rope than about pure strength. Phil used an overhand grip on his trailing hand where you kink the line into a z-form to increase the friction and put most of the strain on the edge of the hand instead of on the fingers. Phil looked like a person who has worked on boats or performed manual labor that involved ropes and learned the best way to haul on a line while everyone else just used underhanded grips.

I was actually a little surprised that they let him use that grip due to the advantage, Phil still needed good grip strength and stamina, but it was a big advantage.
post #289 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Actually it was more about knowing how to haul on a rope than about pure strength. Phil used an overhand grip on his trailing hand where you kink the line into a z-form to increase the friction and put most of the strain on the edge of the hand instead of on the fingers. Phil looked like a person who has worked on boats or performed manual labor that involved ropes and learned the best way to haul on a line while everyone else just used underhanded grips.

I was actually a little surprised that they let him use that grip due to the advantage, Phil still needed good grip strength and stamina, but it was a big advantage.
Actually, I'm not sure that's fully it either.

It's entirely possible that the reason they won is Brandon. Jeff made it sound like they were pumping coconuts into his basket. If they were filling him up more than Phillip and Brandon held out long enough to allow them to not fill up Phillip as quickly, then Brandon is a huge part of the win.

No way to really know. Either way, you had to have a good performance by both rope holders to win the challenge.
post #290 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor View Post

It's entirely possible that the reason they won is Brandon. Jeff made it sound like they were pumping coconuts into his basket. If they were filling him up more than Phillip and Brandon held out long enough to allow them to not fill up Phillip as quickly, then Brandon is a huge part of the win.

No way to really know. Either way, you had to have a good performance by both rope holders to win the challenge.

To me, they should have been evenly distributing the coconuts - and giving more coconuts to whoever was straining the LEAST --- not just dumping most of them on Brandon to get him out first.

When Brandon was really starting to struggle and it appeared he would lose it soon -- they were still adding to Brandon.
post #291 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

To me, they should have been evenly distributing the coconuts - and giving more coconuts to whoever was straining the LEAST --- not just dumping most of them on Brandon to get him out first.

When Brandon was really starting to struggle and it appeared he would lose it soon -- they were still adding to Brandon.
Contestants have been doing things like that in challenges since the show first began. They almost always "gang up" on the one they want out first. I remember many of the "rope chop" challenges where the various contestants get three chops to a rope so they take their turns. They don't distribute the chops evenly; they routinely pick on one person until he/she is out of the competition. Usually (but not always), the opposing team tries to take out the strongest player.
post #292 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor View Post

Actually, I was just addressing the question of Phil's strength not what was the most significant factor in the win. But yeah, their targeting of Brandon first definitely put him before Phil and might have been a factor in the win.

But, I doubt that even game theory could come up with a definitive strategy for this game. Should you concentrate all your effort on one person at a time until the first person fails or should you concentrate most of your effort on the strongest and hope the weaker person's stamina wears out and thus you spend less coconuts on him than you would have if you targeted him first? Or do you mostly concentrate on the weaker person and only spend enough coconuts on the stronger person to knock down his stamina so that he goes down quicker when you switch your focus to him? I'm not convinced that there's a definitive answer to the question.
post #293 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
No surprise here or at other forums after watching the show...I am not defending Brandon, but Its all to easy to jump on the "Brandon is a nutjob" bandwagon. What he did is normal behavior in reaction to a given situation. He hit the wall and anyone is capable of doing the same, everyone without exception. Again ANYONE! In fact the rain was getting to everyone. Phil is an ass and no doubt taunted Brandon. At the immunity challenge as the conversation progressed, Philip couldn't hold his tongue and Jeff let him taunt Brandon. You could see Philip having a breakdown and hitting the wall too... Jeff knew exactly what Phil was doing and he allowed it. If anyone started causing trouble it is Philip, the control freak, but the others let him run with it from the beginning in a sense controlling him. Phil is good at challenges...as far as Phil and Brandon going at it...If I were Phil I would be concerned..and he was, as you could see it in his demeanor..."hiding" behind Corinne and how he was talking. And Jeff...he was holding Brandon back..and he would have done what Philip couldn't. I would put Jeff's strength above both Brandon and Philip. Brandon's choice was simply to not react and take action, but he did the former. Crappy episode. And Reynold finding the idol again? Come on now...we have been here before. Again I want to see statistics of someone finding it more than once, like Russel Hantz did.. and then factor in it has happened how many times?...given environment and others looking for it... it has to be highly unlikely..

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/survivor_caramoan/2013_Mar_14_brandon-hantz-episode
post #294 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

No surprise here or at other forums after watching the show...I am not defending Brandon, but Its all to easy to jump on the "Brandon is a nutjob" bandwagon. What he did is normal behavior in reaction to a given situation. He hit the wall and anyone is capable of doing the same, everyone without exception. Again ANYONE! In fact the rain was getting to everyone. Phil is an ass and no doubt taunted Brandon. At the immunity challenge as the conversation progressed, Philip couldn't hold his tongue and Jeff let him taunt Brandon. You could see Philip having a breakdown and hitting the wall too... http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/survivor_caramoan/2013_Mar_14_brandon-hantz-episode
Exactly as I saw it. Hantz did nothing particularly extraordinary and certainly not in the least "nutty" or fatally unstable or psychotic. He just got mad (and had every right to). Now unfortunately he seemed inexplicably drawn to an act of sabotage which alienated him from his tribe's favor, but up until that time I saw any production edits as favoring Brandon --he showed remarkable restraint in the face of Phillip's duplicity and outrageously infuriating braggadocio of being "the hand that feeds" -- that kind of crap is very hard to take out of an obvious loser that everyone has been humoring and cajoling all along -- and doing so partly just because he is so easily hoodwinked into accepting that his tribemates think him the cat's pajamas -- the mark of a fool.

So getting mad is not having a psychotic break -- what hyperbolic silliness...
Hughmc likes this.
post #295 of 823 Old 03-14-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

Exactly as I saw it. Hantz did nothing particularly extraordinary and certainly not in the least "nutty" or fatally unstable or psychotic. He just got mad (and had every right to). Now unfortunately he seemed inexplicably drawn to an act of sabotage which alienated him from his tribe's favor, but up until that time I saw any production edits as favoring Brandon --he showed remarkable restraint in the face of Phillip's duplicity and outrageously infuriating braggadocio of being "the hand that feeds" -- that kind of crap is very hard to take out of an obvious loser that everyone has been humoring and cajoling all along -- and doing so partly just because he is so easily hoodwinked into accepting that his tribemates think him the cat's pajamas -- the mark of a fool.

So getting mad is not having a psychotic break -- what hyperbolic silliness...

He might not be psychotic, but he has anger management issues and an inferiority complex. The best you can say is that he's unstable. Everyone else is dealing with Phillip's ranting and raving and "leadership." If he wants to author his own exit, then break something, douse the fire, yell and scream at everybody but don't sabotage everyone else's chance at the game. By dumping the food, he put their strength and health in jeopardy. And based on his teammates demeanor, especially the women, you can tell that they were traumatized. I felt uncomfortable watching the episode. I'm sure the show will provide some way for them to gain back the food supplies, but there will probably be a cost.
post #296 of 823 Old 03-15-2013, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Brandon obviously reacted randomly and completely misdirected his anger in some ways, but that Phillip guy is an ass for so many reasons already stated above. Another thing I did not like was how after hearing Brandon go on a rant contemplating leaving the game to get back with his kids, he tossed in that barb about "who is taking care of your kids" which just shows what kind of low person he is. He was already trying to 'Son' Brandon at every turn, and he had the gall to deny his own words and then act like he wanted a fight. Speaking of which the "I'm a street fighter" act was a joke too; a street fighter against a guy half his size, maybe.
post #297 of 823 Old 03-15-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

We can debate Brandons mental health or lack thereof till the Season ends .. what I saw was an immature / self aggrandizing / unable to cope with any degree of stress / chest thumping moron that needed to go .. that directed his anger at Phil because he likely was envious of Phil .. and yes, Phil is a buffoon but on this season, a buffoon that is using his buffoonery to what I see as good advantage ..

The point is, Survivor is not the place to attempt to pick a bar fight .. which is exactly what Brandon was doing .. he knew full well he had a National stage, he knows full well notoriety will gain you celebrity these days and I'm very sure in saying, he was cast for just that character trait ..

If we go back to Russell, we see the same scenario at a different level .. and in real life, Russell was I believe arested at one point for physically attacking someone .. yes, I know Russ is not Brandon, however, Brandon himself brings the comparison validity by saying something like "I think we Hantzes just have it in our blood" or some such ..

Good riddance to him .. and I hope we never see the Hantz clan again ..

Uncle Willie

post #298 of 823 Old 03-15-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Good riddance to him .. and I hope we never see the Hantz clan again ..

"Next season on The Amazing Race!"
post #299 of 823 Old 03-15-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
That reality blurred article is insane in itself... the author has an axe to grind imho...
post #300 of 823 Old 03-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

"Next season on The Amazing Race!"

"... Brandon and Phil... former Survivors and mortal enemies...."

-- David
Reply HDTV Programming