Survivor Season 26 CBS HD February 13th, 2013 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 823 Old 01-15-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 222
How about the next theme being Brains vs Babes? That would appeal to a certain demographic.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 823 Old 01-18-2013, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor View Post

Seems there's plenty of eye-candy for the new season... thankfully...

post #33 of 823 Old 01-18-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

If Probst really said this :

“We realized that we had to make a decision,” Probst told EW.com. “Do we only bring back our oldest iconic stars, or do we begin to birth new stars. And when we sat down with the list and said, okay let’s look at the people that we haven’t brought back yet, we felt like we had a really good group. And it was a bit of a turning point for us to say, we’re now going to look at the next generation of Survivor all-stars.”

My response is: The word iconic should be reserved for people that are actually icons .. Survivor players are not in the same league as Elvis, Marilyn, John Lennon, etc .. the word icon is getting way too liberal usage these days ...

And these returning players, IMO, don't even deserve the word all-stars ..

Well, Probst thinks (and is right by the way) that he can say anything and get away with it.
Even with a kiss!! smile.gif

In my opinion, the casting had more to do with low cost and acting skills.

post #34 of 823 Old 01-18-2013, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2068 Post(s)
Liked: 2462
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33idolfinder View Post

Well, Probst thinks (and is right by the way) that he can say anything and get away with it.
Even with a kiss!! smile.gif

In my opinion, the casting had more to do with low cost and acting skills.

These people are not actors .. they are playing themselves ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #35 of 823 Old 01-18-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:

These people are not actors .. they are playing themselves ..

If you are going to blindside someone, you have to be convincing, no? smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Don't have to be Al Pacino, but some skill is always useful!
post #36 of 823 Old 01-22-2013, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Long time fan here, and im not understanding the returning members at all. Malcolm was decent but the rest of them, totally unforgettable, totally boring players. There were so many great players to bring along for the ride, Yul, Burton, Savage....just a few off the top of my head that i wanted to see get a 2nd run, and they grabbed people from recent seasons that were just not the best seasons.

But im the kind where for me, even a bad season of Survivor is good simply because i love the show that much.

I just wish they would of dipped into the older seasons since look how far Skupin got, and Penner, and they were great this past season. A guy like Yul would of been awesome to see again.

I just cant believe Brandon Hantz is coming back, i think most hated him...he was terribly annoying and i just am so sick of the word "hantz"...let it go already. But hopefully the fans can have some up and coming stars that emerge, would be nice to see thats for sure. But yea, im not loving this returning cast.
post #37 of 823 Old 01-22-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage316 View Post

I just cant believe Brandon Hantz is coming back, i think most hated him...he was terribly annoying and i just am so sick of the word "hantz"...let it go already. But hopefully the fans can have some up and coming stars that emerge, would be nice to see thats for sure. But yea, im not loving this returning cast.

Not only was Brandon Hantz annoying, he was horrible at the game.  He has NO shot at winning the game, even with this cast of losers.   

post #38 of 823 Old 01-22-2013, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 39
They've brought back a few too many "villain" favorites who proved they can't player Survivor, like Superagent Phillip, Corrine ("assuming your dad really is dead") and Brandon Hantz. The fans look like they were recruited from a modeling agency in their bios but I like the race car driver.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #39 of 823 Old 01-22-2013, 01:19 PM

I love Survivor and for me its a show that has that longevity factor, kind of like monday night raw or any other show thats been on the air for 10 20 30 years, simply because human interaction is always intersting and the one thing that IS nice about Survivor is that it hasnt resorted to childish drama or trashy fighting sort of like Hells Kitchen has become.

But what Survivor is doing wrong is grabbing like said above, people who seem to be from model agencys or what not. I miss having regular joes on the show with a few great looking people sprinkled in. Its why in my opinion, all the seasons up til about China have been super interesting and so many great personalities. But for me, my memory starts to blend it all together when i get into the last 7 or 8 seasons. And its because they are getting these brain dead people that have one thing in mind, to look good or to look cool, so their personalities just dont jump out, they do nothing that is exciting.

Think about Big Tom, we havent had a guy like Big Tom in a long ass time. Or think about Rob C, we havent had a Rob C in a long time i dont think. A guy like Penner perhaps, again we just dont see those kind of players coming out of the wood work, at least i dont feel that we have.

And the other thing that bugs me is these freaking models they do get, they dont eat anyways so there is like no struggle whatsoever. I miss when Survivor was a nightmare for people, remember when Elizabeth was so busted up in Australia that they had to bring food in? This is when it was deeper for me, when it was really fascinating to see the people fight and battle the elements while playing the game.

I love the game, but im so tired of them getting nothing but pretty faces and hot bodies, that doesnt make for a good Survivor and id love to see Jeffs point of view on it.
post #40 of 823 Old 01-22-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Whether we as long time fans like it or not, Survivor is a TV show that only "survives" if it is profitable .. apparently, the producers are doing what they feel they need to do to hit the demographic / maximize ad dollars / keep the show relevant .. etc .. I don't like it and this seasons lineup IMO is populated by what likely were past contestants that got the most Web social traffic during their seasons ..

Now, when it ends up being Kim and Khloe Kardashian Take Survivor, I'm throwing in the beach towel .. well, OK .. maybe I'll take a peek just to see the bikinni action .. biggrin.gif

My point is, we keep watching and likely will keep watching .. because we're fans .. evolution of a show is what it is ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #41 of 823 Old 01-22-2013, 03:37 PM

I hear ya, with all that was said though I feel that last season was one of the best recent seasons. Every episode had me sort of on the edge of my seat wanting Penner to make it and Skupin, so hopefully the next season will prove us wrong with its cast.
post #42 of 823 Old 01-22-2013, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage316 View Post

I hear ya, with all that was said though I feel that last season was one of the best recent seasons. Every episode had me sort of on the edge of my seat wanting Penner to make it and Skupin, so hopefully the next season will prove us wrong with its cast.

I agree .. we definitely had a few players last season ..

Uncle Willie

post #43 of 823 Old 01-23-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Whether we as long time fans like it or not, Survivor is a TV show that only "survives" if it is profitable .. apparently, the producers are doing what they feel they need to do to hit the demographic / maximize ad dollars / keep the show relevant .. etc .. I don't like it and this seasons lineup IMO is populated by what likely were past contestants that got the most Web social traffic during their seasons ..

Now, when it ends up being Kim and Khloe Kardashian Take Survivor, I'm throwing in the beach towel .. well, OK .. maybe I'll take a peek just to see the bikinni action .. biggrin.gif

My point is, we keep watching and likely will keep watching .. because we're fans .. evolution of a show is what it is ..

It seems to me like they are just getting lazy.   Its far easier and safer to cast wannabe Hollywood models/actors and returning players then to sift through fan vids, get them all vetted, etc.     Unlike a lot of fans,  I actually don't mind returning players.  I just think they picked the wrong ones this time around.  

post #44 of 823 Old 01-23-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpowers View Post

It seems to me like they are just getting lazy.   Its far easier and safer to cast wannabe Hollywood models/actors and returning players then to sift through fan vids, get them all vetted, etc.     Unlike a lot of fans,  I actually don't mind returning players.  I just think they picked the wrong ones this time around.  

IMO, I don't think we've really had that many model/actor wannabes .. those we have had maybe stick out more than others .. and in that group, they would still have to view vids and vet .. and yes, in selecting returning players for this season, they could have done a better job ..

I think they cast for controversy as that's the way of the World these days .. then throw in a few really hot young women that have no problem wearing eye appealing beach wear (at least for us geezers it's nice) .. then a few dudes that appeal to the women fans .. then at least a few wackos ..

So, if your going to make it to the Survivor cast, that's the formula ..

I'm surprised they've never done a full on Celebrity Survivor .. you know the one .. with Lou Diamond Phillips, one of the Baldwin guys, etc .. wink.gif

Uncle Willie

post #45 of 823 Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:

IMO, I don't think we've really had that many model/actor wannabes .. those we have had maybe stick out more than others .. and in that group, they would still have to view vids and vet .. and yes, in selecting returning players for this season, they could have done a better job ..

I think they cast for controversy as that's the way of the World these days .. then throw in a few really hot young women that have no problem wearing eye appealing beach wear (at least for us geezers it's nice) .. then a few dudes that appeal to the women fans .. then at least a few wackos ..

So, if your going to make it to the Survivor cast, that's the formula ..

I'm surprised they've never done a full on Celebrity Survivor .. you know the one .. with Lou Diamond Phillips, one of the Baldwin guys, etc .. wink.gif

haha oh man, that show was SO bad...i am so glad Survivor never went down that path and by the looks of it they never will.
post #46 of 823 Old 02-07-2013, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Favorites:
3 players ( Brenda,Cochran,Corinne,) that all thought they were better players than they ended up being. We'll see if they learned any lessons.
Two players so naive they gave up immuntiy (weepy Hantz, Erik ).
One secret agent with colored undies.
A player that pissed off the secret agent ( Francesca ).
Another of Rob's zombies ( Andrea ).
The sympathetic older woman ( Dawn ).
A savvy,sociable player that people probably wanted to see again but playing back to back seasons might be difficult to do well ( Malcolm ).
The Favorites have trainwreck written all over them but they may provide some competition if they can keep from falling all over themselves.
Fans:
I wtached the bios of the Fans and the TVG preview with Jeff's analysis.
I liked Julia from the previews .I don't have too many other impressions of them but there are alot of younger women who think people are going to underestimate them( Julia included ).
You have to love a two hour premiere. It will be nice if we get to see alot of the Fans and less of a certain secret agent's undies.
post #47 of 823 Old 02-07-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Looking forward to this season. The "Favorites" (and I use that term loosely) are a motley crew for sure, but I rather enjoy watching bigger personalities even if they don't necessarily play the game well. Secret agent man is much more entertaining than most of the modeling-school rejects that they tend to pad the cast out with in previous seasons. And I'll watch Hantz just for the schadenfreude when he is ultimately voted off.
post #48 of 823 Old 02-08-2013, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
Can't start soon enough for me.

post #49 of 823 Old 02-08-2013, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Can't start soon enough for me.
Agree!!
post #50 of 823 Old 02-08-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

The preview show was OK .. I was surprised they had Lisa host it ..

The Faves dished out the usual .. "I'm ready to take home the million this time" .. Hantz looked like he'd put on about 30 pounds and definitely has been hitting the tattoo parlor ..

Uncle Willie

post #51 of 823 Old 02-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

The preview show was OK ..

What preview show?
post #52 of 823 Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post

What preview show?

Uncle Willie

post #53 of 823 Old 02-09-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for posting. I'm ready for Wed nite now. biggrin.gif

post #54 of 823 Old 02-11-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 102
i'm curious to see the reaction of the fans when they see the "favorites" for the first time. in the past the fans have always acted kind of starstruck but i just can't see it with this bunch. if they do act all gaga, i'll know they've been coached rolleyes.gif

'...have an A1 day!'
post #55 of 823 Old 02-11-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

i'm curious to see the reaction of the fans when they see the "favorites" for the first time. in the past the fans have always acted kind of starstruck but i just can't see it with this bunch. if they do act all gaga, i'll know they've been coached rolleyes.gif

I may just be cynical, but I think everyone knows who is who before the sham intros .. biggrin.gif

Uncle Willie

post #56 of 823 Old 02-11-2013, 11:52 PM

True favs have superior skils. A group of them would 100% win. Not what production has in mind.

Survivor dictionary: favorites = winner + people that will make "interesting" episodes
post #57 of 823 Old 02-12-2013, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to see a bunch of super survivor-man (and woman) contestants on this show sometime just to see what happens. Take out all of the imported reward food and pampering on some exotic beach for challenge winners and just let them advance and survive on the land. No lighters or flint to challenge winners, no multiple hidden immunity idols, etc. I still watch though, regardless :-)
post #58 of 823 Old 02-12-2013, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I'd love to see a "winners only" season.

Or even better, a "2nd place only" season.

Holding the fort on old games that play the same as the new ones, minus the $400 price tag.
post #59 of 823 Old 02-12-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 451
I'd like a season of just "low vote in the finals people." Only, NO HANTZ allowed!
post #60 of 823 Old 02-12-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'd still like to see the show revert back to its roots where they have to scrounge for food. Maybe have to eat roots. eek.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page