Channels Don't Make Sense - AVS Forum
HDTV Programming > Channels Don't Make Sense
rockitdoc's Avatar rockitdoc 04:21 PM 01-15-2013
I have Comcast and hooked up my new LG LCD TV to the cable, but not through the box Comcast rents. I get reception, of course, but the channels are like 81-5 for what would be CBS (654 or 054) with the box. How do I decode this so my kids will know what channel is what and can key in the channel they want to watch. I'm in northern COlorado, Ft Collins.

S

BriscoCountyJr's Avatar BriscoCountyJr 07:35 PM 01-15-2013
Thats how many cable systems are for the free clear-QAM channels.
You are seeing the raw physical channel number, not the virtual channel number that the cable box uses.
Its tougher because the cable system of course wants you to rent boxes from them at an extra charge...
Westly-C's Avatar Westly-C 09:39 PM 01-15-2013

You'll just have to get an index card, and write down the channel numbers and the station/network name. Keep it nearby on a coffee table. plus, you should be able to give those channels a label-look into the channel settings under the Setup menu.  

NetworkTV's Avatar NetworkTV 09:45 AM 01-16-2013
Just be sure to write them down in pencil so you can change the list when they move them around on you...
mhufnagel's Avatar mhufnagel 10:33 AM 01-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Just be sure to write them down in pencil so you can change the list when they move them around on you...
Silicon Dust has pretty accurate clear QAM channel line-ups at their website. Just plug-in your provider and location. It's a great tool to start with.

One of our local cabelcos (Wide Open West) actually has the clear QAM line-up available (using the actual clear QAM numbers) on their website to print. They also issue statements when they will be moving/adding/deleting any of those clear QAM channels so you can do a rescan when needed. Too bad other cablecos are such a-holes about clear QAM.
Up
Mobile  Desktop