American Idol Season 12 (2013) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-07-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Even if they use the save, it won't stretch out the season. As I remember, the following week after a save two people go home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Even if they use the save, it won't stretch out the season. As I remember, the following week after a save two people go home.

Correct.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
What on earth are the judges talking about? Amber was horrible with cracking falsetto all over the place. Are they privy to sound we are not getting?

At least they came back and recognized horror when they heard it with Lazaro.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 04-10-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Turned if off already. This is on par with X Factor now in terms of awfulness. Beatles week. Motown week. Now Burt Bacharach week...lol. I hope it's no mystery to the producers or to FOX about why their ratings are in the toilet. Holy crap this show is awful.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Check your recording, Skyehill, and go to the last song by Candice and get a chill fest. She picked Lovesong by The Cure and wrung it dry. This girl is a great jazz singer. I stand by my comparison with Ella Fitzgerald. The glissando in her last note was perfect and spectacular with no ghetto yodeling.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

Check your recording Skyehill and go the the last song by Candice and get a chill fest. She picked Love Song by The Cure and rung it dry. This girl is great jazz singer. I stand by my comparison with Ella Fitzgerald. The gliss in her last note was perfect and spectacular and no ghetto yodeling.

Thanks for the heads-up on that. I fast forwarded and watched the performances of the songs they wished they'd wrote (this is the type of theme they should have, not the old timey crap).

Angie: Stellar. Just great.
Amber: Forgettable. Just boring. Lame. Yawn-inducing. Like most of her performances
Lazlo: He's why the show is a joke. The producers picked the guys for a reason and now that one of them is backfiring on them, they're doing everything in their power to try to course-correct it and it's making it worse.
Kree: I like her, but that bored me
Janelle: Forgettable as well. She'll probably go home

Candace: She just showed the judges that didn't put her in the top 3 last week why they're dummies. Randy was right, that was one of the best performances in the history of Idol. Just amazingly good.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 201
The 2 songs from Candace were by far the best.

Burt songs just ooze 70s sound and the judges love to say something is old fashioned as a criticism.

Everyone was forgettable behind Candace tonight. The only good things were recognizable songs by a few. Kree's Burt song was good, except that weird intro I'm sure she came up with.

Niki, was spot on talking about Angie though. She wants to run from the piano for some reason, and that's the thing that's hurting her the most. Still, she was just meh tonight.

They could course correct very easily and say Lazaro was kicked off tomorrow. Easy as that. They don't release the results to anyone, who the F would know. But I can't wait for tomorrow's results to see which girl gets kicked off.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Old 04-11-2013, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Uh, skyehill, I notice you "edited" Distorted's use of the word "wrung" into "rung." Actually, Distorted was correct. You "wring" clothes dry, and you "ring" a bell. Considering he said, "She wrung it dry," it's obvious he wasn't talking about the past particple of "ring" or the spot where you place your foot when climbing a ladder, so "wrung" was correct and "rung" was "wrong" (not "rong"). smile.gif

And, why in the world would you also change the correct word "glissando" into the shorter, less formal slang term, "gliss?" Somewhere, Mirriam-Webster is cringing. confused.gif

P.S. Candace was fabulous!!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Couldn't stand the songs from the first group, man, that was some bad music (not my taste in music). The second half was a little better. I disagreed with the judges throughout the show except for the stutterer, he was horrible.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Couldn't stand the songs from the first group, man, that was some bad music (not my taste in music). The second half was a little better. I disagreed with the judges throughout the show except for the stutterer, he was horrible.
Your opinion is your opinion, but the lone remaining male singer's name is Lazaro Arbos, not what you called him. redface.gif
Old 04-11-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Candace oversang the song. In the process, the lyrics were practically inconsequential. I know, I know, this applies to most of the so-called "great" performances on Idol. But that doesn't mean it isn't true.

I just listened to it a second time. It's nauseating, amateurish-the kind of overwrought lounge singing that warrants earplugs. I'm not saying that she doesn't have potential. But, come on, she needs to reign it in. And if the performance was really so great, they wouldn't be cutting away to Randy having spasms. Talk about overselling it.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Uh, skyehill, I notice you "edited" Distorted's use of the word "wrung" into "rung." Actually, Distorted was correct. You "wring" clothes dry, and you "ring" a bell. Considering he said, "She wrung it dry," it's obvious he wasn't talking about the past particple of "ring" or the spot where you place your foot when climbing a ladder, so "wrung" was correct and "rung" was "wrong" (not "rong"). smile.gif

And, why in the world would you also change the correct word "glissando" into the shorter, less formal slang term, "gliss?" Somewhere, Mirriam-Webster is cringing. confused.gif

Just for the record, I edited the post after Skyehill responded because the original from my mobile device and its poor keyboard was so sloppy. Sorry for the confusion. Incidentally, "gliss" is the term commonly used in musical notation, and as a trombone player that is a shortened term I am used to using.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
For us, Candice is light years ahead of anyone else on the show, with Kree being the best of the rest. I am not sure if I have mud in my ears, or our speakers aren't working properly, but I do not agree with the judges at all when it comes to Amber - she sounds rather dreadful to us. I like Janelle, but she is really inconsistent depending on what song she is singing. I like Angie, but her over-the-top mugging for the camera is really irritating. Ugh.

When I sit back and watch this show, I can't help but think that it will be gone the way of the dodo within a few short years. Everything just seems so 'dated' about Idol now.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know it was late when I posted, but I distinctly remember doing neither of those things to his post.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

I know it was late when I posted, but I distinctly remember doing neither of those things to his post.
Gremlins & goblins... smile.gif
Old 04-11-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Candice and Kree are at the top of the heap.

Amber, then Angie round out the middle.

Janelle and Lazaro are in the bottom as far as talent goes. (Although Janelle is a few steps above Lazaro.)

Unfortunately Amber and Angie are the only two that are marketable.

Kree is the least marketable. She's vocally talented. But, the country market is more about looks than talent. It's even shallower than pop and tejano.
squeakybirnbaum likes this.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:11 PM

Liked: 10
If they save lazzaro it will be the biggest problem in their company history he can't sing people who vote for him r just doing it cause they feel sorry for him he's no Mel Tillis
Old 04-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Candice and Kree are at the top of the heap.

Amber, then Angie round out the middle.

Janelle and Lazaro are in the bottom as far as talent goes. (Although Janelle is a few steps above Lazaro.)

Unfortunately Amber and Angie are the only two that are marketable.

Kree is the least marketable. She's vocally talented. But, the country market is more about looks than talent. It's even shallower than pop and tejano.

So that's why I believe no one in country music has any talent! Yes that's an exaggeration, there are a few with talent. Anyway, I disagree. Different strokes. I'm personally more attracted to Kree than any of the others. But, yes, for the kids Amber and Angie are the go-to models.

Who's going home this week? I'd guess it's Amber or Janelle. Lazaro is by far the best singer they've ever had on the show, he won't be leaving.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Old 04-11-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
The blatant shilling for Candice by the judges has turned me off to the point that I'm now hoping she doesn't win. redface.gif
Old 04-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

So, to you guys that obviously realize how much better lazaro is than candace. Who was better?

I do see candace is truly unworthy of the judge's praise though. Spot on, guys.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Old 04-11-2013, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I actually don't need the judges to shill for Candice. She's in it to win it and I think she is one of the best to have ever competed on the 12 years of this TV show.... No, my tongue is not firmly implanted! This lady is truly a great singer....

Bobby 

Old 04-11-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I watched AI for the first time this year. The girl who sang fifth had great legs. The guy was a joke. I liked the first two girls.

Not being a teen age girl, it really doesn't matter what I think.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I did look like the judges were overpraising Amber's first performance, but as Randy briefly mentioned, that's a difficult song to sing. Tempo changes, key changes, and little connection between melody and music. I don't think it really matter at this point if she wins, though. She's got a great pop voice and the looks, so she'll end up with a record either way.

Does anyone know if Candice was doing an original arrangement or a cover of a re-arrangement?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! They just lost the best singer they've ever had.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Old 04-11-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

Does anyone know if Candice was doing an original arrangement or a cover of a re-arrangement?

It's a cover of Adele's re-arrangement.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! They just lost the best singer they've ever had.
It is a tragedy for those folks who are fans of VFTW.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

It's a cover of Adele's re-arrangement.

It borrowed some from the tempo of Adele's version, but her inflections were unique to her performance to my ears. Adele is a fantastic singer and unexcelled current song writer, but even so this song to me demonstrates that Candice has a better instrument and her choices hit me where I live. It should be noted that Candice gave credit to Adele's version of the song in her introduction.

Lots of singers have tried and lots of singers have died trying on an Adele song in these competitions. This was one of the best fits I can remember. Haley in Season 10 had a memorable cover of Rolling In The Deep.
squeakybirnbaum likes this.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 208
America got it right!! The right top two, and the right one voted off, and i figured the judges would NOT use their save on him.

Now that we got just good singers left, its gonna be an interesting competition.

never take life seriously
Old 04-12-2013, 06:11 AM

I gave up on American Idol last year. I tune in every once in a while to see if they've gotten better talent but it doesnt look like it.

www.dchtheaters.com
"Electronics should be simple; on, off, up, and down."
Old 04-12-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctheaters View Post

I gave up on American Idol last year. I tune in every once in a while to see if they've gotten better talent but it doesnt look like it.
All five of the remaining singers are truly worth watching. Now would be the time to give it another shot.