post #361 of 432 Old 05-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis 
But the Voice winners all seem to disappear after the show ends. What have Javier Colon, Jermaine Paul and Cassadee Pope done in the music business?

I never have understood this method of evaluating a show. Let me explain:

Let's say you go and see a movie on Friday night, a comedy, and it's really funny, you enjoyed it a lot. But Monday morning you read that it did terrible at the box office and didn't make even half of it's cost back. What would you tell someone who asks about the movie on Tuesday? That the movie was a flop, don't go see it? The fact is that you liked the movie when you viewed it, and the box office returns really have no effect on that.

Look at this post from this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

Candice is a treasure. The best ever on AI to my tastes.

This person really likes to watch Candice singing this season on American Idol, and looks forward to the show every week. Candice might sell a million records someday, or she may never make a full album at all. Regardless, "Distorted" is having a great time watching the show, and that is what we are discussing in this forum - the American Idol tv show. Did you enjoy the exciting season when Adam Lambert and Kris Allen battled it out until the very end, even though both "seem to disappear after the show ended"? People are watching A. I., The Voice, and X-Factor because it is entertainment that they enjoy at the time they are watching it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 432 Old 05-04-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

But the Voice winners all seem to disappear after the show ends. What have Javier Colon, Jermaine Paul and Cassadee Pope done in the music business?

Where are the X Factor winners? Where's the majority of Idol winners? These shows aren't about producing a viable artist. They're about entertaining an audience. When we watch, we're not invested in the future of the contestants. We care about simply being entertained, and that's where Idol and X Factor have fallen completely apart. Oddly they're failing by making the very same mistakes.
post #363 of 432 Old 05-09-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 244
'American Idol' to Axe All 4 Judges as Part of Massive Makeover
By Jethro Nededog, TheWrap.com - May 8, 2013

EXCLUSIVE: "American Idol" is going nuclear for Season 13.

None of the four judges on the singing competition will be asked to return next season, an individual with knowledge of Fox's plans told The Wrap. Longtime producer Nigel Lythgoe is expected to get the boot. And despite reports to the contrary, Fox isn't even considering bringing former judge Jennifer Lopez back as a lifesaver for next season.

Like we said: nuclear.

"All four are gone," the insider told TheWrap. "They feel they've lost their core audience and they want it back."

Driven by this belief and the need to attract younger viewers, Fox is set to make major on-air changes to "Idol," the most notable of which will be an entirely new judging panel. New judges pop icon Mariah Carey, rapper Nicki Minaj and country star Keith Urban won't be back. Even original judge Randy Jackson won't survive the blood bath this time around.

A Fox spokesperson declined to comment for this story.

All four judges have options to return for another season, but Fox won't be picking them up, according to the knowledgeable individual, who said: "No more big checks for divas."

The network has resolved to stop paying the huge salaries it has been shoveling out for its big name talent, i.e. Carey's reported $18 million package, Minaj's $12 million salary and former judge Jennifer Lopez's $15 million.

The show's format will also change. Its look will be redesigned and the dated tribute nights will be a thing of the past. But the show's trademark audition episodes will continue.

Behind the scenes, Fox Broadcasting chairman Kevin Reilly is charged with "fixing Idol." And one of the first changes will occur at the top of the food chain: Longtime executive producer Lythgoe is expected to be replaced. What that means for the show's producers, FremantleMedia, remains to be seen.

See photos: 'American Idol' & 'Voice' Winners: Who's Broken Out, Who's Just Broken

Fox's meltdown has everything to do with the talent competition's declining viewership. Its ratings are already down 22 percent this season and it hit a series low for ratings last Thursday, when it attracted only 11 million viewers and a 2.4 rating/7 share in the ad-coveted 18-49 demographic. The ratings slide is especially problematic during May Sweeps, where ratings numbers are used to dictate advertising rates.

Viewing has been in decline for several seasons now. At its height during Season 6, "Idol" attracted about 30 million viewers an episode.

So, why not just cancel the show?

"Idol" is still a huge revenue generator for Fox, bringing in $836.4 million in ad revenue last year, according to Kantar Media. Plus, it has nothing to replace it. Simon Cowell's "The X Factor" is far from being "Idol's" heir apparent after failing to meet ratings expectations over its first two seasons. It, too, is undergoing another round of changes for Season 3, with pop star Britney Spears and record executive L.A. Reid not returning.

"Idol's" problems are compounded by the success of NBC's "The Voice." Currently airing its fourth season, the show recently crossed a milestone when it beat "Idol" (and everyone else on the small screen for that matter) in both total viewers and the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic. Additionally, "The Voice" took "Idol's" spot in the Emmy race last year, replacing it among the nominees in the Outstanding Reality Competition category.

Fox and Fremantle declined comment for this story, as did a representative for Keith Urban.

Representatives for Randy Jackson, Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Sharon Waxman contributed to this report.

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/insider-american-idol-firing-all-four-judges-getting-massive-makeover-90256

post #364 of 432 Old 05-09-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Where are the X Factor winners? Where's the majority of Idol winners? These shows aren't about producing a viable artist. They're about entertaining an audience.
These shows declare they are all about producing the next superstar. If it was just about an entertaining show, you would have a large cash prize, and nothing else. Instead, they hype the recording contract, the tour, and the success of previous contestants. The contestants, to the man and woman, talk about making it on the show to make music their careers. The judges dismiss each of the finalists with promises of a future in the business.
post #365 of 432 Old 05-09-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This is most likely true. I was somewhat somewhat surprised to see an "opinion" article at THR earlier this week calling for most of these changes. Since THR is usually overly positive towards the show thanks to insider info/leaks that they receive, it is probable that THR knew more about what was going on behind the scenes than they were letting on in the "opinion" piece. Of course, common sense also dictates that Idol has to cut costs as their ratings and ad revenue shrink.

One more point-over the last couple of years Idol has managed to retain most of the shrinking ad revenue by increasing the number of time slots that it airs-by adding audition shows and making the Wednesday night show 2 hours instead of shrinking down the length of the performance show like they used to do as the # of singers decreased. And does anyone remember when the results show used to be 30 minutes? All this has meant a lot of bloat in the show, making it basically unwatchable for many of those people who do not employ a DVR. No wonder ratings have decreased so much. For that reason it might make more sense to cut back, but I don't really expect Fox to do that anytime soon because the rest of their lineup is so weak. Where would Fox and NBC be right now without the singing shows?
post #366 of 432 Old 05-09-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Great news about Nigel getting canned, if true. IMO he's the reason SYTYCD isn't great, and why Idol has cratered. He's more of a carnival barker than he is a producer.
post #367 of 432 Old 05-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
There was a very similar report a few days ago about the USA version of X-FACTOR.
Quote:
At a hastily called meeting recently, Cowell, 53, gave “X Factor” producers and executives this warning: “Think again.”

“Simon delivered a simple message: Forget the big names in favor of chemistry,” said one insider. “He said all these shows have become distracted by signing celebrities rather than judges who really have something to say. We have all seen that big names don’t translate into big ratings. Chemistry is top of the list of demands for next season.”

Demi Lovato will return as Simon Cowell already locked her in for a second season.

The only thing wrong with that quote is that it was probably the executives who told Cowell to "Think again." I'm sure the budget has been slashed.

The whole article is here:
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/exclusive-simon-cowell-shuffle-deck-x-factor-article-1.1335870
post #368 of 432 Old 05-09-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't believe for a second that Simon said that. Simon is the biggest diva-whore there is. It's because of him that names instead of talent were being chosen.
post #369 of 432 Old 05-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

There was a very similar report a few days ago about the USA version of X-FACTOR.
The only thing wrong with that quote is that it was probably the executives who told Cowell to "Think again." I'm sure the budget has been slashed.

The whole article is here:
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/exclusive-simon-cowell-shuffle-deck-x-factor-article-1.1335870

I agree with Simon on this point. That's one reason why The Voice is doing so well: great chemistry between the judges. Start with smart, articulate, industry insiders who actually seem to give a damn about the people they're judging, and their fellow judges, and who are relatable on some human level. Then, little of the rest of the schtick really matters.
post #370 of 432 Old 05-09-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

It's official, Randy announced today that "he" decided to leave the show when this season ends.
post #371 of 432 Old 05-10-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Randy Jackson Leaving 'American Idol'
By Jethro Nededog, TheWrap.com - May 9, 2013

The first in TheWrap's reported judge departures is official.

Randy Jackson announced on Thursday that he won't be coming back for a 13th season of Fox's "American Idol."

“Yo! Yo! Yo! To put all of the speculation to the rest, after 12 years of judging on 'American Idol' I have decided to leave after this season. I am very proud of how we forever changed television and the music industry. It’s been a life-changing opportunity, but I am looking forward to focusing on my company Dream Merchant 21 and other business ventures,” he said in a statement obtained by TheWrap.

As TheWrap reported first on Wednesday, Fox wasn't going to pick up Jackson's option for another season.

Nevertheless, the music and television producer has survived several panel changes over the show's 12 years, which saw Paula Abdul, Simon Cowell, Ellen DeGeneres and Jennifer Lopez, among others, leave the series.

During Jackson's tenure on the show, its ratings saw a deep decline from its Season 6 height of 30 million viewers per episode. Wednesday's episode attracted a total of 10.8 million viewers. And in an hour which crossed with NBC's "The Voice," it lost in both total viewers and the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demo.

Jackson would be the first departure of a planned clean sweep. The other three judges -- Mariah Carey, Nicki Minaj and Keith Urban -- are also on their way out.

"All four are gone," an insider with knowledge of Fox's plans told TheWrap. "They feel they've lost their core audience and they want it back."

Executive producer Nigel Lythgoe is also expected to get the boot in a massive makeover of the talent show.

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/randy-jackson-leaving-american-idol-90551ReplyQuote Multi 0

post #372 of 432 Old 05-10-2013, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Angie Miller Admits American Idol Exit Is 'Bitter And Sweet' As She Was 'Confident' She Would Make FinalBut it wasn't to be as Kree Harrison and Candice Glover made it through

In the aftermath of last night's American Idol, eliminated hopeful Angie Miller has admitted that her exit from the show is "bitter and sweet".

As Angie performed with her fellow finalists Candice Glover and Kree Harrison on the show, it soon got to the moment when American Idol host Ryan Seacrest announced who would be going through to the finals.

Unfortunately for Angie, it was the end of the road for her as it was announced that Candice and Kree had made it through - the later made the judges react in surprise and shock.

Speaking about her elimination from the competition last night, The Hollywood Reporter reported Angie admitting: "It's bitter and sweet. I definitely thought that with the whole hometown visit and how huge social media has been …"

Angie missed out on a place in the final (WENN)

As she broke off, she then added that she really thought she was going to win. She added: "I did feel kind of confident that I was going to make it.”

But despite feeling upset over her exit, the talented singer had nothing but kind words to say about Candice and Kree, telling reporters: "They're both incredible; it'll be an amazing night."

Speaking about her future plans, the 19 year-old continued: "I'm really excited to start because I know that I want to make albums and be on TV shows and acting and singing more original songs and everything!”

Taking to Twitter following her elimination, Angie tweeted: "All I can say is THANK YOU!!!! Thank you for bringing me to the top 3!!! I love you SOOO much #Dreamers! This is just the beginning!! <3

"Tonight is not the end. It's only the beginning!!!", she posted later.

However, Angie's exit wasn't the only shock of the night as judge Randy Jackson announced his departure from the show. In a statement to E! Online, Randy who has been on the panel since the show started, said:

"Yo! Yo! Yo! To put all of the speculation to the rest, after 12 years of judging on American Idol I have decided it is time to leave after this season.

"I am very proud of how we forever changed television and the music industry. It's been a life changing opportunity but I am looking forward to focusing on my company Dream Merchant 21 and other business ventures."

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/114285/Angie-Miller-Admits-American-Idol-Exit-Is-Bitter-And-Sweet-As-She-Was-Confident-She-Would-Make-Final

post #373 of 432 Old 05-11-2013, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Randy Jackson, with one show left is officially "In it to lose it."

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #374 of 432 Old 05-11-2013, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron View Post

I agree with Simon on this point. That's one reason why The Voice is doing so well: great chemistry between the judges. Start with smart, articulate, industry insiders who actually seem to give a damn about the people they're judging, and their fellow judges, and who are relatable on some human level. Then, little of the rest of the schtick really matters.
I agree with the need to have judges that are fun to watch and that seem to care about the singers. But remember that the coaches on The Voice are current performing superstars, who also happen to be entertaining and care about the singers. It definitely is the chemistry and the personalities that matter.

Idol is falling in the ratings for many reasons. One is that there is so much competition from so many other performance shows, that the target audience is spread out. Besides The Voice and X-Factor, Idol has Americas Got Talent and the dancing competitions that now saturate television with competition shows. Even if the shows are not on at the same moment, many people, (me included) don't have time to watch them all or care to watch so many.

Like it or not, Simon was a huge part of why Idol was so big in it's hey day. I remember watching my favorite singer perform, then waiting to see if Simon gave the thumbs up or down. No judge on any show carries the same amount of weight. Jimmy Iovine is the closest. I hope Idol keeps him or expands his role. Simon's obvious partisanship for his X-Factor team members has seriously hurt his credibility on that show. The coaches on the Voice are much better about giving respect to non team members who deserve it.

The interaction among the coaches on The Voice is almost a show unto itself. Can you imagine what Dancing With The Stars would be like with three boring, dry judges? Simon v Paula and Simon v Ryan (usually) was fun to watch. Now Nicki won't even look at Mariah, let alone banter with her.

The one thing Idol has over the other singing competitions is that the format helps the audience bond better with individual performers. I hope these sweeping changes can revive the fun factor of the show.
post #375 of 432 Old 05-11-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm also leaving Idol after this season.tongue.gif

Congratulations to them on insuring a female winner. Nevertheless, I'm rooting for Candice. Kree has also been solid for most of the season. Angie was less consistent, mostly due to song choice. She'll be much better with her own material.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #376 of 432 Old 05-11-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Sad to see Angie not make it and am now not so interested in the final outcome. However many runner-ups have made it big and I am sure she will too. Her original material is fantastic.

post #377 of 432 Old 05-11-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Let me start by sanding Candace sang the heck out of Somewhere. One of the best Idol songs in 12 years. It was simply incredible. I don't care that much about the ratings. This has been one of the best final four groupings in years. Everyone of those girls could sing and I am thankful not to have the same bland "dude" who manages to make through.
post #378 of 432 Old 05-11-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

I agree with the need to have judges that are fun to watch and that seem to care about the singers. But remember that the coaches on The Voice are current performing superstars, who also happen to be entertaining and care about the singers. It definitely is the chemistry and the personalities that matter.

Idol is falling in the ratings for many reasons. One is that there is so much competition from so many other performance shows, that the target audience is spread out. Besides The Voice and X-Factor, Idol has Americas Got Talent and the dancing competitions that now saturate television with competition shows. Even if the shows are not on at the same moment, many people, (me included) don't have time to watch them all or care to watch so many.

Like it or not, Simon was a huge part of why Idol was so big in it's hey day. I remember watching my favorite singer perform, then waiting to see if Simon gave the thumbs up or down. No judge on any show carries the same amount of weight. Jimmy Iovine is the closest. I hope Idol keeps him or expands his role. Simon's obvious partisanship for his X-Factor team members has seriously hurt his credibility on that show. The coaches on the Voice are much better about giving respect to non team members who deserve it.

The interaction among the coaches on The Voice is almost a show unto itself. Can you imagine what Dancing With The Stars would be like with three boring, dry judges? Simon v Paula and Simon v Ryan (usually) was fun to watch. Now Nicki won't even look at Mariah, let alone banter with her.

The one thing Idol has over the other singing competitions is that the format helps the audience bond better with individual performers. I hope these sweeping changes can revive the fun factor of the show.

This. Make it fun again. Whoever thought it would be neat to have two judges on the panel that won't even look at one another needs to be fired....oh wait he is going to get fired. That garbage might work in England, Nigel, but it doesn't work here. He doesn't seem to grasp the simple concept that US audiences want very different things than British audiences.
post #379 of 432 Old 05-16-2013, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Wow, how pathetic is this, not one comment more than 12 hours after the finale.
Horrible show, why limit judge's comments and have no commentary about the contestants at this stage? Did the recently fired judges say screw it, we're doing the minimum work at this point?
Really, a one hour finale and a two hour results show? I see no reason to even watch tonight, maybe the last two minutes.
As far as the actual singing goes, despite how much I've liked Kree this season, Candice clearly outshone her last night, really shouldn't be close.
post #380 of 432 Old 05-16-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 202
That show last nite really was bad. Bad songs in general, they didnt give the girls a chance to really shine except for Candice at the end.

The judges, it was a waste to have them there. This not only should have been a 2-hour show, but the song versions should finally have been longer than the short versions they are forced to sing. So many times i just started to get into a song and it was over.

That said, i thought Candace was way better than Kree. Her voice, her demeanor, everything about her topped Kree IMHO.

never take life seriously
post #381 of 432 Old 05-16-2013, 09:38 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Can't watch last night's show until later tonight. But I imagine I'll have the same reaction as yankeeman. I think Kree has hit a wall. I think she's a great singer and has some unique tricks, but Candace is much better.

Angie probably would have been a better finalist here.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #382 of 432 Old 05-16-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am eager to hear Candace' recordings when she is not compelled to sing power songs endlessly, and can move to some of substance and subtlety. I hope she is strong enough to break away from the control of the AI producers like Phillip Phillips has done and do adult work.

post #383 of 432 Old 05-16-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 220

I guess the ratings were down 1/3 or so from last year. Ouch.  Personally, I didn't actively watch and walked out of the room on several occasions... not caring a bit if I missed this or that... oh the days when Taylor and Kellie were around. smile.gif I go by if they were the performing artist on a late night talk show would I watch... the only one I would stick around for is Angie. Everyone else is a duplicate of another duplicate of a duplicate from season...

post #384 of 432 Old 05-16-2013, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 352
What's the point of having Mariah lip-syncing herself (and poorly at that -- Frankie Valli did his much better)? I guess to recreate her "concert" experience -- where she doesn't sing live either. What a coward. At least The Band Perry was live.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #385 of 432 Old 05-16-2013, 10:20 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I think I lot of the stuff wasn't played live. I don't think the band part of band perry was actually playing. Neither was Keith's band. You can tell the little ukelele like guitar guy wasn't plucking in time. I also heard a slide guitar and didn't see anyone playing that part. 3 guitarists were up there but I could only hear the mini guitar.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #386 of 432 Old 05-17-2013, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Yawn, Candice won, big surprise.

I actually fast forwarded through the Idol singers and watched the guest singers. Some of the guest singing was pretty enjoyable.

Angie should of won the whole thing. When she is behind the piano she is freaking amazing. Once she steps out, she looses something, even showed this on this last episode.

post #387 of 432 Old 05-17-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I watched the last two minutes to see who won (big surprise) because I really don't care that much anymore.
post #388 of 432 Old 05-17-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

I am eager to hear Candace' recordings when she is not compelled to sing power songs endlessly, and can move to some of substance and subtlety. I hope she is strong enough to break away from the control of the AI producers like Phillip Phillips has done and do adult work.
I really think Candace is talented and deserved to beat Kree. Earlier in the competition, Kree's performances were effortless. More recently, you could hear that her voice was at its limit. That said, Candace has to hit the power to shine. I just don't like the tone of her mid range.

I can really see an Angie and Colton tour down the road. They both have a great future in the ever growing Christian Rock genre.
post #389 of 432 Old 05-17-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
They've already announced a date for the Idol winner's new album. (as soon as July 16!) I think they realize that they have to act REALLY fast on this one. Last year the Phillips album wasn't released until November.
post #390 of 432 Old 05-17-2013, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

They've already announced a date for the Idol winner's new album. (as soon as July 16!) I think they realize that they have to act REALLY fast on this one. Last year the Phillips album wasn't released until November.

A rushed album is a very bad sign for this fan.

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page