American Idol Season 12 (2013) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Kree needs a new hairstyle. She has a loooooooooong face, and she keeps her hair long and up against her head, it needs to be puffed out or flipped up on the side.

She is a good singer for sure though.

I like best the African-American girl who sang "I Who Have Nothing", i cant remember her name.

never take life seriously
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Kree is my favorite and I hate country music. Amazing how attitude and confidence can make a very plain looking women seem sexy.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

Kree is my favorite and I hate country music. Amazing how attitude and confidence can make a very plain looking women seem sexy.

I said the same thing earlier, I hate country, but I love her voice and look. I don't know what it is about her, she's not the prettiest one of them, but I'm attracted to her the most.

I'm stuck between Candice and Kree. Candice is an outstanding singer.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Old 03-16-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
It's a real shame Nicki didn't follow-thru on her promise to leave along with Curtis. I bet Randy was the dissenting vote (possibly Keith if he's smart). Either that or the producers made the call knowing full well that the show is doomed if Kree, Candice, or Angie get the boot early. Gotta save the save in the event one of those 3 have a really bad week. Curtis never stood a chance of winning.

He's too:
Gay
Diva-ish
old school
churchy
dull
melodramatic
cloying
gimmicky

Being any one or two of those things isn't a death sentence, but when you combine all the crap that he is, he was doomed from the start.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
^^^ You basically beat me to my comment on the matter.

Apparently, NIkki didn't understand that when the producers spread the word that a male contestants is NOT going to win again this season, it means that the judges are not supposed to waste their save on any male contestant let alone on the very first male contestant to get eliminated.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I'm thinking Candice is a natural. She obviously lacks the looks and suffers from what that brings onto a young black girl all her few years. I am guessing she has no real training and what we see springs forth unaided from somewhere within and from God-Knows-Where.

When Seacrest picked her as one of the surviving five two weeks ago and led her to the stage her backstage lack of confidence and temerity was genuine and endearing. He deserves kudos for soothing her (and the others), and giving them a slight pause to catch their breath. But when she was guided to center stage and transformed from freightened kid into a beautiful swan from note one, I knew we had something else. It reminds me of stories about Ella Fitzgerald picked from the slums, but with that irrepressible and natural singing excellence that could not be denied.

I hope I am not overstating from a scant few songs what will be revealed. I believe this kid has the makings of a great one.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03-20-2013, 08:36 PM

Liked: 11
Overall the girls sure do have it. Love Kree - so mellow and easy on the ear - great persona. Candace knocked it out of the park tonight. Angie and Janelle both sang like angels. Paul is absolutely adorable and is the best guy singer. The judges are not on my planet, that's for sure. Keith is the most fun to listen to. Randy is, well, Randy. Mariah is a sweet person and holds back serious criticism. Nicki Minaj just makes me blink - there are no words. I think Devin or Lazaro will be going home.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I think it was like bookends tonight, Kree had that powerful rendition of Help From my Friends and Janelle just sang like an angel. Now that Jimmy mentioned the breathing part I could tell how difficult a song that was to sing, nothing but praise for Janelle. What a performance! It was intricate and beautiful.

Burnell still needs to work on not emoting with his hands, and did anyone else think that parts of his voice sounded like he was singing through a kazoo???
Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I think he's very young and his voice is going to mature soon. Burnell that is.

I think Kree and Candice are the best singers in the group, personally. But tonight's show, I think the last 3 were the best. Had to do with song choice and arrangement. Though Devin put a little too much into it at times. Janelle was definitely the best of the night, Angie very close #2. Paul I thought could have been better, he just put too much show tune into the way he sang. Something I don't think he can not do. It's in his gay roots.

I think if Kree did what Janelle did, she would have shown her up, but she just chose a song I remember best by Joe Cocker, and her version was unfortunately forgettable. Same really with Candice. Nothing wrong with what they did, it just wasn't as good as the others.

Lazaro shouldn't have been in the top 10, and tonight he proved it.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Old 03-21-2013, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 254
While I absolutely hate the Beatles, I found the versions song by the idols actually enjoyable (for the most part) a couple of those ladies have incredible voices.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I have to give the prize for biggest stones of the night to Devin. To sing the first line of Long and Winding Road a capella was a huge risk. If he had come in off pitch it would have been an epic disaster.

With the exception of Laz, I thought they were all at least reasonably decent. Although, like Mylan, I felt that Burnell's raspy voice isn't really well suited for McCartney's songs which really favor cleaner voices. I think he would have been better off picking a Lennon tune. And I didn't really like what Kree did with the first verse of With a Little Help From My Friends, but I liked everything after that.

And although he sang it OK (not great, just OK), I don't understand Paul's song choice. Hey, I'm a big fan of Eleanor Rigby, but who does he think is going to vote for him singing the line "look at all the lonely people" about fifty times in a minute and thirty seconds? Are there that many Emo girls in the AI audience and will they put down their razor blades and stop cutting themselves long enough to vote? He could have gone with "Something" and got to sing lines like "Something in the way she moves - attracts me like no other lover", but instead he goes for one of the darker and stranger Beatles tunes, WTF?

And then there's Laz... If it was judge's choice night and I was a judge, I think I would have had him do the "Golden Slumber- Carry That Weight-The End" medley from Abby Road. But, cutting out all of Carry that Weight and bridging straight from Golden Slumber to the final verse of The End and sing the iconic lines "And in the end- the love you take- is equal to the love - you make". At least Laz would get to have a moment that way since it seemed like In My Life didn't give him any moments.

And then we have She's Leaving Home which brought some of the strangest judges comments I've ever heard. Nikki apparently thinks that you should have a sh*t eating grin on your face while singing about a runaway. And Randy thinks the song "started a little slow" confused.gif Really Randy? Do you not understand that the song was intentionally written to start slow and soft soft and continuously build to the climax? And then Mariah admits to never having heard the song. Which she doesn't seem to realize implies that she's never bothered to take 40 minutes to sit down and listen to the Sgt Pepper's Album. You know, that album that is credited with single-handedly changing the direction of Pop Music after it came out. But apparently she's not interested in what all the fuss was about. I can understand NIkki being young enough to get away with saying that, but Mariah is old enough that she should have been surrounded by people that talked about and owned that album, so she's actually had to go out of her way to avoid hearing it.

And speaking of Sgt. Peppers, what's happened to the way Nikki dresses? Did she see the clown comments and decide to tone it down? This would have been the perfect night to wear the fake satin military outfit but she was dressed like a reasonably normal person last night. tongue.gif
Old 03-21-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Although I'm a big fan of Kree and Candace, the ones I liked best last night were Angie and especially Janelle. Her version of "I Will" was just fabulous. The only one I like better is by Alison Krauss.

I really don't like any of the men/boys this year except perhaps Paul. He was pretty bad last night, however.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 203
The Golden Slumbers medly would have been great last nite, except they have to do such short versions of the songs. If they would stop with the crap i dont need like showing the singers family and friends and personal problems, maybe they could sing longer versions.

never take life seriously
Old 03-21-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

The Golden Slumbers medly would have been great last nite, except they have to do such short versions of the songs. If they would stop with the crap i dont need like showing the singers family and friends and personal problems, maybe they could sing longer versions.

Golden Slumbers by itself is only 1:30, it's all the other stuff that drags it out to over 7 minutes. Which is why my recommendation was to do all of Golden Slumbers and just the last line of The End and drop all of Carry That Weight and the drum solo in The End. With a slight tempo increase it would probably even fit in 1:30.

But yeah, I'd also prefer to see them trim back on the judges comments and the background stuff and add more time to have songs that actually have an arc to them.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Angie is interesting because there seems to be an inherent contradiction to her singing. At times she seems so pure and sweet , but there are times when she sounds really fake. It is really odd to hear the slips between the two extremes.

All that being said I thought Angie, Candice, and Devin were the best of the night. I thought everyone did pretty good except for Lazaro. His style never seemed to mesh with the song choice. My guess is this is his last night on the show.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

Angie is interesting because there seems to be an inherent contradiction to her singing. At times she seems so pure and sweet , but there are times when she sounds really fake. It is really odd to hear the slips between the two extremes.

All that being said I thought Angie, Candice, and Devin were the best of the night. I thought everyone did pretty good except for Lazaro. His style never seemed to mesh with the song choice. My guess is this is his last night on the show.
Wrong about Lazaro leaving unfortunately.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:29 PM

Liked: 11
Didn't see Paul's elimination coming. Knew he wouldn't make it to the end tho. Amber in the bottom 3? Really?
Fun to see Casey Abrams. Always liked him and he didn't disappoint tonight. Strange - in a good way - and so talented. Love the way he makes playing the bass so well look so easy. Entertaining guy.
Thought the Beatles were done well both last night and tonight in the main.
Jessica Sanchez is cute but she and Neo - meh.
squeakybirnbaum likes this.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought Jessica Sanchez seemed a little "struck on herself" last night. She went from this (supposedly) humble little girl on last year's show to this "look at me now" diva wannabe last night. As Shania Twain so eloquently put it, "That don't impress me much."

I also noticed AI didn't bother telling us the rankings of the performers last night like they did last week.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I like Angie, but Jimmy is right. She's too dramatic. Playing behind a piano helps tone that down a bit, so for her sake I hope she hides behind one if she makes it to the end. I'm so sick of Lazaro's sob story. You stutter, we get it and it's unfortunate. But you're on a singing competition. Idol supposedly chose the 10 best singers they had, and you're one of them. Stop singing like garbage, but most of all stop crying like a little baby because you couldnt remember THE SONG YOU YOURSELF CHOSE! Get out. Just get the hell out. But yeah, little girls probably think he's cute so he'll hang on a bit longer. Meanwhile Amber is in the bottom 3. Yeesh. This show is so stupid sometimes.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I am not surprised Paul went home, but I am surprised Lazaro didn't even make the bottom three.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

I am not surprised Paul went home, but I am surprised Lazaro didn't even make the bottom three.

Travesty that that is! It continues to be proven that the system isn't working......

Bobby 

Old 03-23-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I knew that Eleanor Rigby was an absolutely horrible song choice that wasn't going to draw any votes, but with Laz being so bad by comparison, I thought that it might be Laz going home and Paul would be spared from facing the consequences of his terrible choice. Laz, not being in the bottom three was stunning.

There's really only two others, Devin and Burnell, that IMHO, aren't legitimate contenders for the title, so this is going to get ugly really fast as the sympathy voters and vote for the worst crowd take out a bunch of legitimate contenders.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:33 AM

Liked: 10
I was going to add to the rant about Lazaro not being eliminated, but then later on I realized what does it matter who they eliminate first among the boys, they're going to take all of them out Each week anyway. The only one who may survive is Burnell and he's got this annoying hand gestures as he stands rooted behind the mike week after week.
Now for the girls. I have concerns about Candice going the way Melinda Doolittle did in the 6th season, and Jennifer Hudson way, if you know what I mean. Kree somehow reminds me of Crystal, great country voice but lacking charisma. Angie looks like she believes too much the praises thrown at her, her rendition of Yesterday was uber pageant. Janelle is trying to go by with her sweet syrup country girl thing. Which leaves me to the girl with the most natural and not yet diva Amber Holcomb who somehow reminds me of a young Natalie Cole... But she's in the bottom three, perhaps because of song choice... This season is driving me nuts, I've gotten too used to a WGWG winner obvious choice!
Old 03-24-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ Well, Angie would probably be better off, career-wise, to NOT win. She already has shown songwriting talent and that's what really big careers hinge on, so she'd be better off if AI doesn't have any claim on her songs.

As a sidenote, the local PBS station has a show called Songwriters Showcase, which I usually don't watch, but last night they had Jesse Valenzuela, one of the co-counders of the Gin Blossoms on the show, so I watched it and was surprised to learn that he's written a bunch of jingles and theme songs, including a theme for one of the Olympics. He mentioned that the residuals from those jingles provide the base income that let's him do whatever else he wants to do.

I have my favorites and unfavorites among the girls, but I think all of them would have given Kelly Clarkson a run and probably have beaten her in the first season.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I completely disagree with that. Go back and watch the Kelly performances again. Light years ahead of what any of these girls have done so far.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, were just going to have to disagree on that one since I've never found Clarkson to be all that impressive. Not back then and especially not now.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Well, were just going to have to disagree on that one since I've never found Clarkson to be all that impressive. Not back then and especially not now.
Her voice is ridiculous. I don't even know how this is debatable. She is on a whole 'nutha level.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

They need to have an All Star American Idol for the last season.

All the winners go up against each other. Even that bozo with the gray hair.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Old 03-25-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

They need to have an All Star American Idol for the last season.

All the winners go up against each other. Even that bozo with the gray hair.

And Carrie would simply kick a**....

Bobby 

Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

And Carrie would simply kick a**....

Would probably be her and Kelly in the final two, but Kelly's vocal abilities crush Carrie's. Carrie is good, but she's not the singer that Kelly is. Regardless, this would never happen since the best winners (Carrie and Kelly) would never do the show again. They'd probably have a pretty good show if they just had the runner-ups though.