Forum Jump: 

Old 04-13-2013, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 
(Batiatus was probably one of the reasons you felt the first season to be the best.)

Yes, him and Andy. Andy was irreplaceable. Watching the last few seconds at the end of the episode made me tear up a little. No one could play Spartacus like he could. Liam had that blocked nose syndrome throughout season 2 and 3 and was not a good Spartacus for me. He seemed stiff and his fighting was sh*tty in my opinion. But he improved in the last few episodes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Gannicus had a good final scene when he saw Doctore.

I'm not sure I would enjoy a series about Caesar. The actor annoys me for some reason.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

Gannicus had a good final scene when he saw Doctore.

I'm not sure I would enjoy a series about Caesar. The actor annoys me for some reason.
Saw an interview with the actor, Todd Lacsace. He was trying to split the difference. Meaning, he's a heavy, but not totally un-honorable. So he played it that you detest him, but might not totally dislike him like Tiberius. That said, I think he missed. Just too many sly looks and giggles when he got the upper hand.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 138

Gratitude Starz!

Old 04-13-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieS View Post

But Crassus was also wounded.

Crassus was injured when Spartacus knocked him off his (high) horse. Spartacus had been slashed several times fighting through Crassus' cadre of bodyguards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

- Spartacus also cut through dozens and dozens of soldiers before coming face to face with Crassus. I would assume fatigue also played a big factor.

Yes. Crassus had a much lighter appointment schedule than Spartacus.

I really liked the face to face between Crassus and Spartacus prior to the battle and the interaction between them during the fight. Crassus was atypically gracious in complimenting Spartacus before he intended to kill him but Spartacus' position was not about posturing like Crassus but rather a bid for his own life and the lives of those he tried help be free. Spartacus was committed to his cause up to his ending. The fact that he saw the people important to him and was able to die relatively peacefully with the people he loved and knowing that his efforts had some reward made this finale really special. They didn't blunt the horrible deaths of the fighters along the Appian Way or the inevitable defeat, but made the efforts of the freedom fighters seem noble and worthwhile. It did not surprise me that Crassus had Kore crucified at the end. That showed his unchanging attitude about slaves.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
Old 04-13-2013, 05:11 PM

I enjoyed the finale. The end credits made me tear up. I think it was the combination of the music and seeing all the characters one last time. The death of Crixus was difficult for me to accept and seeing his image flash again made me smile. It's funny, it's just a TV show but damn, I felt for some of these characters.

I mean knowing that Gannicus was going to die horribly didn't make things easier as I really felt for the character. But Crixus, for me, meant more in the span of the show.

A part of me enjoyed the Spartacus S2 and S3 but a part of me also wished there never was a S2 and S3 and it was left to our imagination. I know people are sick and tired of hearing us compare Andy to Liam but if there was one actor whose death still has not fully resonated it's Andy. Just because of what he could have accomplished.

I may decide to buy the Blu Ray boxset when it comes out and perhaps watching it again might change my mind. But right now the S1 is my favourite. That being said, there were many excellent moments in the finale, that is for sure.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I hope Liam goes on to another big role be it TV or Film where he's not constantly being compared to someone else. Even though he spent two seasons as the lead vs Andy's 1, people still complain and even the show's producers likely cut things short because they couldn't get over Andy.. right up the the final line in the end credits. Yeah Andy was great but but Liam did a great job in an absolutely thankless position.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Satisfying and great finale. No fairy tale ending, but still somewhat uplifting.

*Hated to see Gannicus crucified, he deserved a proper death in battle. But it was foreshadowed all season.

*For all those people complaining about Crassus and Caesar standing toe to toe with the gladiators, well it wasn't exactly a fair fight.

*Agree with everyone above: very classy to show the previous casts during the final credits. And one last glimpse of Andy.

Liam had big shoes to fill for two years, and I thought he finally got the hang of it in this final season. He brought it home.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_O View Post

I hope Liam goes on to another big role be it TV or Film where he's not constantly being compared to someone else. Even though he spent two seasons as the lead vs Andy's 1, people still complain and even the show's producers likely cut things short because they couldn't get over Andy.. right up the the final line in the end credits. Yeah Andy was great but but Liam did a great job in an absolutely thankless position.

I thought the finale was terrific and I'd really like to see Liam in more roles. He did as good as anyone could following Andy Whitfield and has promise as an actor despite some of the repeated complaining by a few in this thread.

The closing credits gave me goosebumps...

Robert Clark
Old 04-14-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Thought that the survivors would hide the body of Spartacus better than that...It could have easily been found by the Roman soldiers and brought back to Rome for display. According to Wikipedia, there were about 6,000 survivors crucified along the road to Rome..Have to watch the whole series again..

Old 04-14-2013, 10:15 AM

Liked: 10
I loved "Gods of the Arena" and "Blood and Sand". I raved about them and recommended them to my friends, family, coworkers, and acquaintances. The story line was top. The acting was good. It had something for everybody (violence, gore, male eye candy, female eye candy, plotting, scheming, ...) Everyone could find something to enjoy.

Now "Vengeance" and "War of the Damned" sucked. Was it because Andy was gone? I don't think so. The new guy was ok and didn't diminish the show that much.

What made Spartacus "Jump the Shark" in these seasons was the ridiculousness of the strong female fighting characters and Spartacus becoming this symbol of freedom.

The portrayal of Naveah going from a dominated little slave girl to being one of the most ferocious warriors in the army was laughable. I grew tired of seeing the same constipated expression on her face. How am I supposed to believe that she could take down so many Roman soldiers. I found that I was cheering for her demise for the entire last season.

The blonde barbarian woman was more believable. Why? Because she grew up in a barbarian culture. She wouldn't have been a soldier, but would have known more about simple weapons like the daggers she used. Still, she is killing Roman soldiers left and right.

I know everybody killed soldiers like they were Stormtroopers, but it was just pathetic when it came to the women. At least all the men were trained with weaponry at the ludus.

Lucretia was the queen of strong female characters. Lucy did a fantastic job.

Spartacus ripped off the "Braveheart" freedom speeches too much. He wouldn't have been concerned about equal rights for women. This is modern day putting our spin on them. The men would have been "free" as long as they did what they were commanded by Spartacus.

All in all I wish I had watched the first 2 seasons in order of the prequel and then season 1. I cannot stop raving about them. I will watch them again as a staple in my collection.

However, I would like my time back for the second 2 seasons. I watched them because I wanted to see where they would go. I was disappointed.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:36 AM

There were a few cheesy moments in the finale. When Gannicus fought Caesar .... the facial expressions together with the shouting of each others names. That was a little cringe inducing. It was a bit too much. I agree about Naevia, she isn't a full blown gladiator warrior. She was trained by Crixus, but she shouldn't be killing Romans like ants. Then again what kind of episode would it be if she had died the second the battle began?

Liam was off-putting as Spartacus but he shined through, mostly on his deathbed. His final moments were touching. But he always seemed STIFF. Like he couldn't make the show his own. It was too calculated. When he said "I am Spartacus", I didn't believe it. He just added a little rumble to his voice to make us think we should.

Still can't believe Spartacus would let his guard down to get slashed a few times by Roman guards. He's killed SOOOO many for breakfast, even 5-1, but here he just turns his back to a soldier that slashes him. What was he thinking? He's a champion gladiator for goodness sake. He then gets slashed again for no real reason for making another rookie mistake. It was not in character.

That fight was not choreographed well at all I thought. It was just to wound Spartacus but the way in which it was done was poor as it showed very poor fighting skills at the time. So how do I go believing this guy as the Bringer of Rain when he makes such stupid fighting decisions? None of the other champions would have fought so recklessly without even keeping their guard up.

When Spartacus died it was a release. At least now I'll watch my S1 again and imagine what could have been. I hope Liam gets nose surgery because I really had enough of his blocked nose throughout S2 and S3.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

Since when is Crassis a better sword fighter than Spartacus? Did you all watch the end part where one-on-one he just disabled him? eek.gif That doesn't make ANY sense. I know I have said this before but the first season Spartacus would have WIPED the floor with Crassis. There is no way he would have bested him in a sword contest.

Not een close to what you are saying. They showed that Spartacus was severly wounded, multiple cuts. Crassus only had a hit to the head. Also, Spartacus won the battle, had Crassus down and was about to kill him. He clearly was the better fighter, even injured, he won for heaven sake. Only to be felled by the spears from behind.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Great ending, since they changed what really happened so much, I was hoping for a little bit different of an ending, but I guess it was good enough, this show will truly be missed.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Just for sh*ts and giggles....this is the guy that Liam beat out to replace Andy...

Your complaints about the muscles and mock fighting ability would probably be moot, however, maybe he didn't have the acting chops. Amell is a tad emo on Arrow and his voice is a little high and soft.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

For God's sake, people...for everyone complaining about how Spartacus got cut up before facing Crassus...really???!!!

I mean the guy only fought his way through an entire Legion and then about 10 of Crassus's bodyguards. If he emerged from all of that without a scratch, everyone would be complaining about how unrealistic it was.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:27 PM

It's the WAY he cut up. It was NOT in character. It's like learning Kung Fu ... you become a master, and then you just forget about to block. It was done for the episode, but it was dumb. He could have been hurt in some other way, but not like THAT. It seemed like he forgot how to fight or how to block. He did not mind his SURROUNDINGS.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:54 PM

Go rewatch from 43 minutes. He fought like crap!!! Come to think of it, the entire final confrontation was poor. It made him look like the inferior swordsman. Might I remind you, Crassus was sliced too! He was knocked off his horse as well. So they were BOTH injured. Spartacus has been cut MANY times throughout season 2.

Go and rewatch the fight. Look how crappy he fights against Crassus and against his men at the hilltop.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wonderful end to a fantastic series. I guess Vikings will have to fill the void left by Spartacus.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Old 04-14-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Go rewatch from 43 minutes. He fought like crap!!! Come to think of it, the entire final confrontation was poor. It made him look like the inferior swordsman. Might I remind you, Crassus was sliced too! He was knocked off his horse as well. So they were BOTH injured. Spartacus has been cut MANY times throughout season 2.

Go and rewatch the fight. Look how crappy he fights against Crassus and against his men at the hilltop.

Quote:

It's the WAY he cut up. It was NOT in character. It's like learning Kung Fu ... you become a master, and then you just forget about to block. It was done for the episode, but it was dumb. He could have been hurt in some other way, but not like THAT. It seemed like he forgot how to fight or how to block. He did not mind his SURROUNDINGS.

You do realize that this is a show right? Even if Spartacus was a ninja when he runs up the hill and leaps into 10 guys, 999 times out of 1000, the first 2 closest guys block him with shields, the nearest 2 on the sides flank attack with spears and Spartacus is an olive on a tooth pick twice, the rest of the guys close in with shields and beat on him until he's down for good. He never gets close to Crassus. That's realistic. Now, you got a fantasy ending with Spartacus cutting through all those guys to have a face off with Crassus. I thought it looked good. The point was, have Spartacus come close, but die valiantly. There wasn't going to be any other outcome. There's no point in comparing actors, how they choreographed each fight (you might have liked the look of some more than others, but the point always was to advance the story) or wish for a different hash on how the show was presented. They decided to wind it up in 10 episodes, make them as epic as possible and for the most part exceeded my expectations. Wishing for the small scale glad fights of GofA and B&S wasn't going to work once they were out of the ludus. If you enjoy that more, fine. The showrunners had to change things up once they escaped and the scope got bigger.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

You do realize that this is a show right? Even if Spartacus was a ninja when he runs up the hill and leaps into 10 guys, 999 times out of 1000, the first 2 closest guys block him with shields, the nearest 2 on the sides flank attack with spears and Spartacus is an olive on a tooth pick twice, the rest of the guys close in with shields and beat on him until he's down for good. He never gets close to Crassus. That's realistic. Now, you got a fantasy ending with Spartacus cutting through all those guys to have a face off with Crassus. I thought it looked good. The point was, have Spartacus come close, but die valiantly. There wasn't going to be any other outcome. There's no point in comparing actors, how they choreographed each fight (you might have liked the look of some more than others, but the point always was to advance the story) or wish for a different hash on how the show was presented. They decided to wind it up in 10 episodes, make them as epic as possible and for the most part exceeded my expectations. Wishing for the small scale glad fights of GofA and B&S wasn't going to work once they were out of the ludus. If you enjoy that more, fine. The showrunners had to change things up once they escaped and the scope got bigger.

Ron very well said.

THought this epsiode was a fitting end to the series and very well done. Some of the comments in this thread however do make me wonder however wink.gif ..........

It was interesting that the 3 main gladitors were all take down in very much the same way.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I loved the credits at the end, they grouped up the characters very well, and the yell of Andy at the last one..

If they ever do a follow up series, I want to know if maybe Spartacus or Gannicus left offspring

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
Old 04-15-2013, 09:48 AM
PMA

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I loved the credits at the end, they grouped up the characters very well, and the yell of Andy at the last one..

If they ever do a follow up series, I want to know if maybe Spartacus or Gannicus left offspring

Didn't they try this after the original movie back in the early 60's? I seem to recall a "Son of Spartacus" sequel that wasn't very good.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post

Didn't they try this after the original movie back in the early 60's? I seem to recall a "Son of Spartacus" sequel that wasn't very good.

I think it was called "The Slave". All I remember is that it starred Hercules himself...Steve Reeves.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Let's just leave well enough alone.

Rather than keep trying to milk the story of Spartacus I wouldn't mind seeing them focus on other historical characters from the days of the Roman Republic and Empire.

Arminius, Mithridates, Sulla, Marius, Nero, Caligula, etc. The whole of Roman history is tailor-made for the exploitive T&A treatment on Starz.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm kinda tired of the Romans with British accents doing deprived things.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

I'm kinda tired of the Romans with British accents doing deprived things.

I think you mean depraved. or maybe they were deprived of doing depraved things biggrin.gif

Steve
Old 04-16-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

I think you mean depraved. or maybe they were deprived of doing depraved things biggrin.gif

Damn auto correct!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Thinking about my comment regarding that everyone speaks with a high class British accent...I saw a few minutes of the original Spartacus movie with Kirk Douglas and it sounded really weird when the actors spoke in American accents.

I would love to see a comedy troupe voice over an episode of Spartacus with each character having an over the top accent from their place of origin. The Romans with a cheesy Italian accent; Crixus with a Pepe LePueu French accent; Agron with a heavy German one. Not sure where Thracia is. What kind of accent would Spartacus have?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Mmm I think the accent is more Australian, and the dialog very short of words, I'm assuming they talked like that in that era

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13