Liked: 16
Better get the DVR set then,thanks for the reminder.smile.gif

JERRY
post #3 of 213 Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If it's anywhere near as good as Spartacus: Blood & Sand, let me know. If it's anything like the prequel or Season 2, I'll pass.
post #4 of 213 Old 01-20-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

If it's anywhere near as good as Spartacus: Blood & Sand, let me know. If it's anything like the prequel or Season 2, I'll pass.

For many people, the main reason the first season was so great was the unforgettable and letter-perfect performance of Andy Whitfield in the title role. A lot of folks, if this thread is a typical example, were much less impressed with his successor. The other thing to consider is that when S:B&S premiered, the TV world really had never seen anything like it with the graphic novel-like over-the-top expressions of violent combat and heightened sexuality. That novelty has also faded.

I enjoyed both the prequel and S-2 for what they were and, since I don't expect the producers to alter the formula now, I expect this season to be as entertaining and as gratuitously violent as well. That's what I've signed up for.
post #5 of 213 Old 01-20-2013, 09:43 AM
sa

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

New and FINAL season of Spartacus starts this Friday, 1/25/13111

I can't wait THAT long. wink.gif
post #6 of 213 Old 01-21-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

For many people, the main reason the first season was so great was the unforgettable and letter-perfect performance of Andy Whitfield in the title role. A lot of folks, if this thread is a typical example, were much less impressed with his successor. The other thing to consider is that when S:B&S premiered, the TV world really had never seen anything like it with the graphic novel-like over-the-top expressions of violent combat and heightened sexuality. That novelty has also faded.

I enjoyed both the prequel and S-2 for what they were and, since I don't expect the producers to alter the formula now, I expect this season to be as entertaining and as gratuitously violent as well. That's what I've signed up for.

John Hannah was the draw of the first season. Andy was second. The prequel season was good, just not as good and prequels are hard to do.
post #7 of 213 Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I loved the prequel series, Gannicus was awesome and the highlight of the entire season and even when he was in season 2.

post #8 of 213 Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I loved the prequel series, Gannicus was awesome and the highlight of the entire season and even when he was in season 2.

Yeah, the cast has been uniformly excellent. Although bringing back Lucy Lawless for S-2 felt forced. I like her as an actress and she was brilliant in BSG. It just didn't feel very organic to the story they'd already established.
post #9 of 213 Old 01-22-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 76
It's almost here! can't wait...

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #10 of 213 Old 01-23-2013, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

'Spartacus' creators promise an epic series conclusion
By Carol Memmott, USA Today - Jan. 22, 2013

The legend of Spartacus, the warrior-slave who led a bloody but doomed rebellion against the Roman Republic, took root in history 2,000 years ago. Starz ends its contribution to the legacy this year with the final season of its original series about the gladiator who became a formidable rebel leader.

Initially, series creator Steven DeKnight had hoped the series would run five to seven seasons. He now says ending with Season 3, War of the Damned (premiering Friday, 9 ET/PT), is the best possible outcome. He's also grateful the show didn't end with the death of Andy Whitfield, the Australian actor who starred as Spartacus in 2010's Season 1, Blood and Sand, before leaving the series with non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

"Ending it is bittersweet," says DeKnight, "but I'm happy that we continued because we had the chance to tell the whole story. And it was very important to Andy that the story should be told. He really loved the show and wanted it to go on."

When Whitfield was diagnosed, Season 2 was postponed and production shifted to a prequel, Gods of the Arena, in order to give Whitfield time to recover. But that never happened; he died in 2011. Liam McIntyre was chosen to assume the role of Spartacus in Vengeance, Season 2, which aired last year.

DeKnight says wrapping up now will prevent the show from becoming repetitive or veering too far from the historical record. "In War of the Damned we probably stray about as far from history as we have in past seasons," DeKnight says. "Most of it is based on things that actually happened, but to get it all to work in a dramatic way through 10 episodes we had to shuffle a lot of events."

Season 3 picks up months after Vengeance (which drew about 1.5 million viewers for premiere episodes) ends. Spartacus' army numbers tens of thousands. Vengeance closed with the death of Gaius Claudius Glaber, one of Spartacus' most formidable enemies, and the rebels continue to beat the Romans on every bloody battlefield. With Rome determined to break the rebellion, all-out war is declared.

Despite the spectacular battle scenes, the major story line throughout Spartacus has centered on the evolution of its hero, says McIntyre. "Andy (in Blood and Sand) was the reluctant slave trying to lash out against the horrible things done to him," McIntyre says. "Vengeance was about him finding his new place in the world, the responsibility given to him."

Now, McIntyre says. "He's absolutely the commander-in-chief of this ragtag band of thousands, this army that's trying to do the impossible and take over and destroy the undefeatable armies of Rome."

To rout Spartacus, Roman general Marcus Crassus will join forces with the man whose name is synonymous with ancient Rome: Julius Caesar.

DeKnight asked the show's historical consultants how much the show would be breaking with history by weaving Caesar into the plot. "I was shocked when they said not at all," DeKnight says. "Caesar is the most written-about Roman, but this is one tiny sliver of history where not a lot is known about what he's doing. Lots of historians think he more than likely had some part in the war against Spartacus."

Chosen to play the 20-something Caesar is Australian actor Todd Lasance, who says he enjoyed bringing the young emperor-to-be to life. "That's the exciting part," Lasance says. "There are not going to be any comparisons, and I get to delve into a Caesar who hasn't been explored before on screen. It's a chance to set a new benchmark, I would hope, in portraying him in a period in which a lot of people don't really know about Caesar."

Lasance says that before researching Caesar, he had no idea what he was like as a young man. "I guess, naively, I had the idea that he would be in a toga, have the typical Caesar haircut and have the leaves around his head, but this Caesar couldn't be any further from that. I like the fact that the writers made him a lot more rugged, and they focused on the battlefield elements."

Starz won't officially comment, but deadline.com and other outlets have reported the network is considering a spinoff following the story of Caesar. It's a series Lasance says he'd consider, and one that DeKnight and McIntyre would love to watch. "I know there's the rumor, and I don't know anything officially, but I hope that happens," says McIntyre. "Todd's got this sort of Brad Pitt thing about him, and I'd watch any show with him in it."

But first, fans must bid farewell to Spartacus. "If you do your Wikipedia research, you know it's not the happiest ending," says McIntyre, who promises a finale of epic proportions.

"I got to see a rough cut of it. It was heartbreaking, and Steven and his team do a really good job of keeping you guessing. You never quite know, as Steven says, if it's going to go all Inglourious Basterds and kill Hitler. It's a very heart-rending story, but its also uplifting," McIntyre says. "I think they really found the right tone and went out in a huge way."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2013/01/22/starz-spartacus-liam-mcintyre/1852287/

post #11 of 213 Old 01-27-2013, 08:04 AM

Liked: 10
bump
post #12 of 213 Old 01-27-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Be nice if a moderator could merge the threads. There were some really clever postings in the other thread since the new season premiered on Friday.
post #13 of 213 Old 01-27-2013, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

I also thought the prequel was great! So did my wife but mostly because she is in love with Gannicus!!! I also agree that Andy WAS Spartacus and was impossible to replace, but the producers did the best they could. The show is still GREAT but I do miss Hanah who stole the show as Batiatus and his one liners!

"Once again the Gods spread cheeks to ram C**K in ass!!!" eek.gif

Love it!! biggrin.gif

Check out my theater.... http://members.shaw.ca/taiser
post #14 of 213 Old 01-28-2013, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Excellent Premiere! Sooooooooo Glad this is back!

Final season....? I forgot about that... frown.gif

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #15 of 213 Old 01-28-2013, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Loved the premiere, for us, Ganicus is still the highlight of the show. Crixus sure has changed in his look, I remember him being much more muscular looking originally. Like the new Roman general sent to take down Spartacus. Cool that they made his son Julius Caesar.

post #16 of 213 Old 01-28-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Be nice if a moderator could merge the threads. There were some really clever postings in the other thread since the new season premiered on Friday.
I concur!
post #17 of 213 Old 01-28-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 246
good 1st episode biggrin.gif
the actress who played Naevia in s2, Cynthia Addai-Robinson, somehow looked different in this episode. is she still playing the part?

Steve
post #18 of 213 Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

Loved the premiere, for us, Ganicus is still the highlight of the show. Crixus sure has changed in his look, I remember him being much more muscular looking originally. Like the new Roman general sent to take down Spartacus. Cool that they made his son Julius Caesar.

If you're talking about Crassus (guy who fought the slave), his son is Tiberius. I don't think we've seen Caesar yet.
post #19 of 213 Old 01-28-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

the actress who played Naevia in s2, Cynthia Addai-Robinson, somehow looked different in this episode. is she still playing the part?

I think it maybe just her hair up and braided.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #20 of 213 Old 01-28-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Guess I'm in the minority...I thought this first episode was blah. Opens with an unexplained battle, then some skin...just "by-the-numbers" slo-mo stuff. Even the dialogue just seemed by-the-numbers...hope we don't have to hear stuff like "Romans suck...we will take them down" every episode. Only the sequence with Crassus and the gladiator/slave had some of that old spark. Of course, I'm with the show till the end. Both last season and the first had shaky starts, so I'm hoping future episodes will be better.

post #21 of 213 Old 01-28-2013, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
For me, after a so-so season 2, this episode delivered on every possible level. The Crassus character is going to be remembered as one of the best the series has offered up, mark my words.

Best line of the episode: "Gather The Heads"
post #22 of 213 Old 01-29-2013, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kromkamp View Post

For me, after a so-so season 2, this episode delivered on every possible level. The Crassus character is going to be remembered as one of the best the series has offered up, mark my words.

yep, +1 on Crassus and I'm told Ceasar is going to be another big bad with huge audience appeal.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #23 of 213 Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

'Spartacus' returns to fewer damned viewers
By James Hibberd, EW.com's 'Inside TV' Blog - Jan. 28, 2013

The final season of the sex-and-blood-drenched Starz drama Spartacus returned to a slightly smaller arena of viewers.

The premiere episode of the “War of the Damned” cycle of the show debuted Friday night to 930,000 viewers, a tally that rose to 2.5 million by the end of the weekend. That’s a solid performance, though a tad softer overall vs. previous years. The premiere weekend for the franchise’s Gods of the Arena prequel in 2011 had 2.8 million viewers and last year’s Spartacus: Vengeance had 2.7 million. (You might see stories out there saying Spartacus came back to its “second-highest rating ever.” That’s from a Starz press release touting a subscriber-universe “GRP” rating that’s normally only used internally at cable networks and not in media reporting).

Normally ratings for a final season of a series don’t matter too much. But in this case, Starz is weighing a spinoff centered on the Julius Caesar (Todd Lasance), who is introduced next week on the show. You can bet executives will closely follow how Spartacus performs this season — and whether Caesar seizes some fans of his own online.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/28/spartacus-fewer-viewers/

post #24 of 213 Old 01-29-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by kromkamp View Post

I think you're right. He's intelligent, cunning & devious that's not readily apparent, a masterful politician. And not so in-your-face like our favorite villians, Batiatus, Lucretia, Glaber, & Illythia. they were pretty obviously wicked. Crassus is using his head, as opposed to Glaber who seemed a bit thickheaded as a general by comparison.

Steve
post #25 of 213 Old 01-29-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Crassus wife looked a lot like Illythia...

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #26 of 213 Old 01-29-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I agree, I did a double take on that.
post #27 of 213 Old 01-29-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Yes, I had to argue with my wife that it was NOT Illythia!

Thank god for the pause and rewind button! rolleyes.gif
post #28 of 213 Old 01-29-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Not below the neck, it didn't. Ya'll's attention is in the wrong place. C'mon now, this is 'Spartacus'. wink.gif
post #29 of 213 Old 01-30-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not below the neck, it didn't. Ya'll's attention is in the wrong place. C'mon now, this is 'Spartacus'. wink.gif

She was covered!!!! yes I did check :P
post #30 of 213 Old 02-01-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought it was great so far and Crassus is a worthy adversary, very clever character.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page