House of Cards - Netflix Original - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #271 of 298 Old 03-11-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Just finished episode 3, and I'm really enjoying this so far. Normally I would wait until late May/early June to start the new HoC season (after the regular TV season is over), but the idiocy of the current election cycle had me itching for some Francis Underwood shenanigans. I know I'm still early in the season, but I almost feel the show had been building up to this season when Francis would be in the midst of a full-on presidential campaign.
markmathers likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 298 Old 03-11-2016, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I just finished Season 4. It started a little slow but ended up better than Season 3, fully as good as S1/S2.

Now we have to pretend that we don't know Claire will kill Francis after the election in S5 so she can be President. Which is not a spoiler since S5 has not been shot yet and may not have been written in more than outline form. Because after all, it's a remake of the original British production.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #273 of 298 Old 03-15-2016, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post
I just finished Season 4. It started a little slow but ended up better than Season 3, fully as good as S1/S2.

Now we have to pretend that we don't know Claire will kill Francis after the election in S5 so she can be President. Which is not a spoiler since S5 has not been shot yet and may not have been written in more than outline form. Because after all, it's a remake of the original British production.
It should be obvious that they don't want a neat ending at this point, and that includes matching the original series. Why extend 2 more years?

post #274 of 298 Old 03-24-2016, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I just finished Season 4 - excellent overall, and a real "out with a bang" ending.
aaronwt likes this.
post #275 of 298 Old 04-22-2016, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziedzic View Post
I just finished Season 4 - excellent overall, and a real "out with a bang" ending.
Just binged all 4 seasons... really like how Season 4 ended. Although, I say it went out with more of a
Spoiler!

My living room budget build: Samsung PN51E530 / Denon AVR1613 / DefTech PC1000 / DefTech PM60 / DefTech ProSub 60 / Dayton Sub1200
post #276 of 298 Old 04-24-2016, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Loved the first two seasons, but the fourth season is "if a yawn could yawn". Please kill it already.
post #277 of 298 Old 04-25-2016, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was really enjoying this season through the point where Francis ...
Spoiler!

But it started to drag for me after that. The only memorable moment beyond that was when
Spoiler!
. That was a total stand up and cheer moment.

I also didn't care for how it ended.
Spoiler!
But I guess if this series is getting another season, they had to do something.
post #278 of 298 Old 05-01-2017, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just received the following email message from Francis Underwood. "Dark times"? Should I be worried?

Quote:
My Fellow Americans,

All my life, I've devoted myself to our fine country. Protecting your freedoms is my greatest honor. In dark times like these we must keep our eyes open and watch out for each other. As May 30th approaches, I need your loyalty more than ever. Can Claire and I count on you?

My staff doesn't believe in propaganda, but we do believe you'll enjoy this video trailer.

President Francis J. Underwood
aaronwt likes this.
post #279 of 298 Old 05-02-2017, 12:48 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5775 Post(s)
Liked: 3530
I hope this season is in HDR.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #280 of 298 Old 05-02-2017, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked: 1389
I hope this season is the last. It's long past time for this show to live up to its name.
JoeTiVo likes this.
post #281 of 298 Old 05-04-2017, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I love this show. Looking forward to it.
aaronwt likes this.
post #282 of 298 Old 05-30-2017, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Gathering episodes and ready to settle in tonight.
I have no intention on binging. Gotta Work
post #283 of 298 Old 05-30-2017, 07:30 PM
UHD Addict

I'm going to wait until I can binge watch over a day or two. I will enjoy them much better when consumed over a short period of time. If they would have released them for the Memorial Day weekend, I would have watched the season on Friday night and Saturday. Since I didn't have any plans until Sunday and Monday.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

post #284 of 298 Old 05-30-2017, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Hospitals, colleges and golf courses. Love it
post #285 of 298 Old 05-31-2017, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Watched the whole season already. I thought it was an improvement from the last 2 seasons but not by much. I think it's safe to say that the Underwood character and his deeds kind of wore out it's welcome. I guess after 5 seasons it's hardly an overstatement IMO, still a very good show with enough meat on the bones for a binge watching, at least was for me. YMMV.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
post #286 of 298 Old 06-01-2017, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1910 Post(s)
Liked: 2224
Love me some Underwood action .. .. between Claire, Frank and Stamper, it's the "Three Horsepeople of the Apocalypse" .. up to episode 5 last night, anyway ..
aaronwt likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #287 of 298 Old 06-01-2017, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
it's the "Three Horsepeople of the Apocalypse" .. up to episode 5 last night, anyway ..
Ha!

Only past 3-4 here, but it looks like there will be fun. Love the opener with Frank crashing congress.
A tip of the hat to Parliament IMO with all the action.
post #288 of 298 Old 06-01-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post
Ha!

Only past 3-4 here, but it looks like there will be fun. Love the opener with Frank crashing congress.
A tip of the hat to Parliament IMO with all the action.
Finished this season. Production quality about the same IMHO. But the story arc is so prolonged, I am losing the threads of plot. I know they are going to add filler material to make another 12-13 episodes, but what they could do and should do is end everything and tie up all the dangling threads in one two hour series finale.

So Claire, kill Francis already.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #289 of 298 Old 06-01-2017, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Finished this season. Production quality about the same IMHO. But the story arc is so prolonged, I am losing the threads of plot. I know they are going to add filler material to make another 12-13 episodes, but what they could do and should do is end everything and tie up all the dangling threads in one two hour series finale.

I think it was obvious they were going to stretch it out as long as possible before season 4.
I agree, it would have been perfect to keep it all action and complete in 3 seasons. As enjoyable as
some of the extended plots have been, it's always takes away from a tight story. Dexter Anyone?

Game Of Thrones final season? Nope it's 2 years to air the final season.
Kind of a double down on cheap Bstrds Thinking.

What's Next?
post #290 of 298 Old 06-06-2017, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 884
I just started watching Season 5 couple minutes ago and I've debated if I actually wanted to watch this season in the first place. Season 1-4 was incredible, shocking and pretty awesome. but with the current madness in the USA politics its like a continuous twilight zone episode which makes House of Cards more surreal and shocking than it was before. I even spoke to my family and said what's the point of watching Season 5 we are pretty much living this madness or worse anyways where facts and reality is irrelevant.

Receiver - Sony STR-DH550
Fronts - Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-280F
Center
- Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-450C
Surrounds - Trash
Sub - Rythmik FV15HP
The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts Heavy Cinematic | Heavy Electronic|
post #291 of 298 Old 06-07-2017, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 296
I finished season five and was not overly impressed in comparison to seasons one through four.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #292 of 298 Old 06-07-2017, 04:05 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:

I thought the production quality was worse. Specifically with the audio. With many of the scenes in an office, there an audible noise that was recorded. MAybe from a ceiling fan? Not sure, but the previous seasons didn't have it. And the noise was there with every device and setup I used.

But aside from the semi-annoying audio issues, I thoroughly enjoyed the fifth season. I could have easily watched the entire season in one sitting if I had the time. But this year I watched it over 72 hours. Typically I take 24 to 36 hours to watch a HoC season.

post #293 of 298 Old 06-07-2017, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think the quality of the show is still there in every respect.
The problem, if there is one, is that we have been paying attention to detail for
5 seasons and are not easily impressed with any clever twist at this point.

Wash/Repeat doesn't Play
post #294 of 298 Old 06-09-2017, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I thought the season was OK, but unless it's already been renewed, I predict the final line uttered is not fulfilled.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #295 of 298 Old 06-09-2017, 11:08 AM
UHD Addict

I hope they get a season 6. It's still one of my favorite shows.

post #296 of 298 Old 06-09-2017, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
After the final 2 words of dialog, they could go either way, but I think season 6 is a given.
post #297 of 298 Old 06-09-2017, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1910 Post(s)
Liked: 2224
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
With the wealth of ideas freely available on seemingly a daily basis these days, it should be easy to write several more Seasons ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #298 of 298 Old Today, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked: 1389
I thought season 5 did finally live up to the show's name -- but for the wrong reasons. Francis is still going strong, but the writers' web is starting to collapse and not make any sense anymore. House of Cards is supposed to be about Frank ruthlessly controlling everything to meet his own ends, but this year in particular felt like Frank was the one being controlled by outside forces.

It started with the election. They basically wrote themselves into a corner last year with a candidate who was far more appealing than Frank and an election scenario that Frank could never win, so what did they do? They revealed that Conway has secretly been nuts this whole time! That's quite a deus ex machina way to save Frank -- so much so that they even felt the need to do some lampshade hanging when Frank got the recording of Conway's breakdown on the plane.

"I don't like it Claire, this recording came to us too easily! Oh well. Let's use it!" Sorry, but that's not enough, writers. Frank is supposed to destroy his opponents, not bumble around until he gets saved by random chance and the carelessness of his adversaries, e.g. with Brockhart just happening to unknowingly utter a quotable quote into a hot mic that was bad enough to discredit him, too. Frank uses the recordings to destroy his campaign opponents and secures the White House again without any consequences.

Then, after barely surviving a brutal campaign that took two thirds of the season to win, what does he do? He reveals that he's discovered the true meaning of Christmas power and that he's been sabotaging his own presidency with leaks so that he could get Claire into the White House, instead! Wait, what? Talk about a contrived and nonsensical way to make Claire President.

Even if Claire hadn't gotten into the White House in such a bizarre way, her prospects don't look too bright, considering how dumb she was this season. First she confesses her and Frank's murders to Thom, who then threatens her with extortion to keep quiet about their secrets. Claire then naturally takes the Underwood problem-solving approach of murdering him to keep him quiet, but does she call on somebody loyal like Doug for help? No! She murders Thom in the house of a slimy Washington strategist who immediately turns around and blackmails her in order to get himself into the Vice President's office. Great work, Claire! Clearly you are capable of upholding Frank's legacy of expertly executed schemes.

Speaking of Usher, the addition of both him and Davis made little sense, either. Frank deliberately takes Davis aside near the end of the season and reveals that he knew she was trying to sabotage him at every turn... so why didn't you kick her out of the administration ten episodes ago, Frank? Allowing a Republican strategist like Usher to have such sway in a Democratic White House made little sense, either, but the addition of these two characters I think best illustrates how far this show has fallen. Frank and Claire used to be the master manipulators pulling the strings in Washington, but now they're the ones who are apparently being manipulated by other players who are more in tune with the capital than they are, and they're either too lazy or too blind to do anything about it.

The Underwoods' massive scheme for government domination may still be standing, but the structure of the show is crumbling around them at an accelerating pace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming