House of Cards - Netflix Original - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 188 Old 05-24-2014, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Spacey used the "I couldn't possibly comment" line a few times in the first season, but he dropped it in a hurry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 188 Old 05-24-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 220

I caught season one of the BBC series and thought in lacked subtlety and sophistication compared to the American version. I'm guessing since it was made in a different era but more so based on the different format they had much less time to flush out the various story arcs.

post #183 of 188 Old 05-24-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

The Final Cut was more heavily influenced by Americans than House of Cards and To Play The King were, but I'd still rank it above the remake. Kevin Spacey doesn't hold a candle to Ian Richardson, at least in their respective roles for these series.
post #184 of 188 Old 05-25-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A good example for me is their marriage. In the American version they developed their personalities to the point you understand their relationship. I loved Ian Richardson in Dark City however with the material being so different I can't really compare the roles or actors. Dark City poster from outside my dedicated room with a little help from Picasa...

post #185 of 188 Old 05-25-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

The term "Netflix Original Series" is a production credit. It means Netflix produced this content, and also happen to be distributing the content. This version of House of Cards did not appear anywhere else before appearing on Netflix, and currently is only available on Netflix.

It is a little more complicated

"The bigger (but smallish) point here is that even though this is a series commissioned for and funded by Netflix, it still isn’t Netflix’s series.
Netflix’s money bought it an exclusive first “window” to stream the show. But Media Rights Capital, which actually produced the show, has the rights to sell it in other venues; Sony is handling distribution duties in the U.S. and abroad."

HDPLEX
post #186 of 188 Old 05-25-2014, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Done with disc one of season one now on to disc two...season 2 will be on bluray in the middle of June...
post #187 of 188 Old 05-25-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

A good example for me is their marriage. In the American version they developed their personalities to the point you understand their relationship.

It's true that Elizabeth wasn't very well developed in the UK version, but I have mixed feelings regarding Claire. Her role in the first season didn't make sense to me, as it had little to do with what Underwood (the focus of the show) was doing. It was almost like having two different shows playing at the same time, and her role felt largely unnecessary and forced to me (and also somewhat nonsensical, since we were supposed to believe that someone so "evil" would be involved in a non-profit organisation). The second season largely fixed those problems and brought both Frank's and Claire's storylines together in a way that felt more natural and enhanced the overall narrative structure of the season.
post #188 of 188 Old 05-26-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Her role in the first season didn't make sense to me, as it had little to do with what Underwood (the focus of the show) was doing. It was almost like having two different shows playing at the same time, and her role felt largely unnecessary and forced to me (and also somewhat nonsensical, since we were supposed to believe that someone so "evil" would be involved in a non-profit organisation). The second season largely fixed those problems and brought both Frank's and Claire's storylines together in a way that felt more natural and enhanced the overall narrative structure of the season.

During the first season they showed how independent they were through their marriage having their own agenda to the point of being detrimental to each other. The second season didn't fix anything rather it forced them to work closer together because of several circumstances.

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page