post #271 of 683 Old 04-16-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Superstition. Rollo angered the gods by agreeing to be baptized, so the gods took revenge on the new Earl as punishment.

Didnt think of that, good point.

I was surprised that Floki called him out though. He is the new "Earls" brother. Raggy didn't stick up for him at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 683 Old 04-16-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Didnt think of that, good point.

I was surprised that Floki called him out though. He is the new "Earls" brother. Raggy didn't stick up for him at all.

Without Floki, Rag's boat never gets built, he doesn't discover the riches of England, and he probably never becomes Earl (or even survives his injuries). I'd give the guy a little slack, too. wink.gif
post #273 of 683 Old 04-16-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

Superstition. Rollo angered the gods by agreeing to be baptized, so the gods took revenge on the new Earl as punishment.
For some reason, I don't see Ragnar buying into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

It appears to be largely historically accurate. For example, everything i have read supports that the Saxons woefully underestimated the Scandinavian raiders early on and paid for it in blood and gold. King Aelle learned this lesson when he (foolishly) ordered that the boxes ostensibly filled with gold and silver be delivered empty and ordered an attack on Ragnar's force. The king's failure to realize that Ragnar would be fully prepared for such an eventuality was breathtakingly naive. Also, the Viking ships were technological marvels, nearly miraculous by the standards of the day. Even Ragnar's navigational tools have some basis in history, which is an indication that in addition to having great ships the Vikings were great sailors.
True.

Quote:

You're right about their ships. The Vikings figured out that staggering the boards making up the hull surface in contact with the water - a sort of "clapboard siding" look - created a pocket of air on the exposed bottom edge of each board. This allowed their ships to essentially "float" on a cushion of air as they knifed through the water. Made them fearsomely fast.
Initially, the key to their success.

Coming upon their targets with speed and leaving before the alarm could be sounded was there greatest weapon.

After awhile, Europe's anti-Viking strategies, most particularly its conversion of the pagans, made it all very difficult......

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #274 of 683 Old 04-16-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Not sure about that. I have no idea where this Rollo thing is going, but Ragnar believes in the gods. He's seen Odin and his ravens and does perhaps think he's the son of old One Eye. Vikings were great believers in "luck:. If a leader has it, then he wins battles, attracts followers, generally is a rockstar. However, they also knew it was fleeting and were very sensitive to events that might change it. So, the look on Rags face when Rollo volunteered to be baptized and Floki's calling him out, I feel, disturbed him. I don't know how he'll respond, but we've seen him confront Rollo before about his reckless (ie foolish) actions with the loot from the first raid. Rollo is a keg of dynamite. Doesn't stop to think just goes on impulse. He's not dumb and I think he's capable of carrying out a plan, but he gets distracted and stubborn...very unpredictable...like a dog that smells bacon...BACON eek.gif That's why he's fun to watch.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #275 of 683 Old 04-16-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Interview with Travis Fimmel...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/vikings-star-travis-fimmel-sundays-439359

Note: He sounds like Ragnar, but with a slightly Aussie/Irish lilt instead of Danish. Also, I'm voting for him to grow his hair out next season. That half bald look sort of makes him look like an Aryan Brotherhood member.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #276 of 683 Old 04-16-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Not sure about that. I have no idea where this Rollo thing is going, but Ragnar believes in the gods. He's seen Odin and his ravens and does perhaps think he's the son of old One Eye. Vikings were great believers in "luck:. If a leader has it, then he wins battles, attracts followers, generally is a rockstar. However, they also knew it was fleeting and were very sensitive to events that might change it. So, the look on Rags face when Rollo volunteered to be baptized and Floki's calling him out, I feel, disturbed him.
+1

However, I think Rags is a little pragmatic when it comes to political maneuvering and will ultimately make Rollo Generalissimo of General (or Specific) Kick-assing or maybe a ruler of another kingdom.

I can't see him giving up on his brother just yet....

Quote:

That half bald look sort of makes him look like an Aryan Brotherhood member.
I don't think the Aryan Brotherhood was active 1500 years ago....tongue.gif

Just like today, it wasn't unusual for males back back then to shave their heads in various ways or wear jewelry or adopt any number of fashion or status symbols.

post #277 of 683 Old 04-16-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

disagree. the way this played out with the miscarriage occurring right after the baptism, the leading
us to surmise that ragnar will see a causal effect.

True.
Initially, the key to their success.

Coming upon their targets with speed and leaving before the alarm could be sounded was there greatest weapon.

agreed, that and the fact that their boats were very seaworthy and able to navigate shallow waterways allowing attacks
on inland cities.

neflixis our nemesis
post #278 of 683 Old 04-16-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

agreed, that and the fact that their boats were very seaworthy and able to navigate shallow waterways allowing attacks
on inland cities.
The Aircraft Carriers of their day...wink.gif

post #279 of 683 Old 04-16-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1

However, I think Rags is a little pragmatic when it comes to political maneuvering and will ultimately make Rollo Generalissimo of General (or Specific) Kick-assing or maybe a ruler of another kingdom.

I can't see him giving up on his brother just yet....
I don't think the Aryan Brotherhood was active 1500 years ago....tongue.gif

Just like today, it wasn't unusual for males back back then to shave their heads in various ways or wear jewelry or adopt in number of fashion or status symbols.
Generalissimo of General Kick-assing ??? Good one...biggrin.gif One thing they haven't introduced the concept of is the Viking berserk. Hopped up supertroopers that went crazy in battle, doing impossible feats of strength and violence, but just as dangerous to their own. They used to point them, then get out of the way. Scared everybody. Norse Kings would recruit whole troops of them. Wiki wasn't sure what to make of them, meaning whether they on "shrooms", just drunk or whatever. They were eventually outlawed, so maybe the group were into self medicating over the long term and able to bring it up before battle...or maybe they were batsh*t crazy all the time.

post #280 of 683 Old 04-16-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

One thing they haven't introduced the concept of is the Viking berserk. Hopped up supertroopers that went crazy in battle, doing impossible feats of strength and violence, but just as dangerous to their own. They used to point them, then get out of the way. Scared everybody. Norse Kings would recruit whole troops of them. Wiki wasn't sure what to make of them, meaning whether they on "shrooms", just drunk or whatever. They were eventually outlawed, so maybe the group were into self medicating over the long term and able to bring it up before battle...or maybe they were batsh*t crazy all the time.
I have been waiting for this too.

There doesn't seem to be much of a consensus among current historians of what or who the Berserkers were (as you pointed out).
It is a very fascinating subject and I would love to see more research into this mystery.

post #281 of 683 Old 04-17-2013, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Helmets would be a wise move, I'd think. But those actors do like their closeups.
The historical accuracy quotient is pretty good in this series so I guess a few puzzling elements can be forgiven - and they are out to generate an audience, don't want to obscure the hunky Viks' good looks on screen.

Along with the lack of helmets, another thing puzzled me in this last episode. Aelle and cronies had ample time to have hundreds of arrows made, I mean they're the home team, a pound or two of gold could surely buy the labor to make beau coup arrows. Sure seems like multiple volleys of arrows might have softened the Viks up. We know the Northumbrians use this weapon, we saw it early on.

I'm not certain the range of archers in that day but with the layout and position of the Viks' camp but it looked as though archers would have had good positions to operate from.
post #282 of 683 Old 04-17-2013, 12:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post

Along with the lack of helmets, another thing puzzled me in this last episode. Aelle and cronies had ample time to have hundreds of arrows made, I mean they're the home team, a pound or two of gold could surely buy the labor to make beau coup arrows. Sure seems like multiple volleys of arrows might have softened the Viks up. We know the Northumbrians use this weapon, we saw it early on.

I'm not certain the range of archers in that day but with the layout and position of the Viks' camp but it looked as though archers would have had good positions to operate from.
I wondered the very same thing.
THEN I realized our heroes couldn't possibly go out that fast....wink.gif

post #283 of 683 Old 04-17-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:

I have been waiting for this too.

There doesn't seem to be much of a consensus among current historians of what or who the Berserkers were (as you pointed out).
It is a very fascinating subject and I would love to see more research into this mystery.

Not sure how accurate this is, but some interesting info none the less. http://stephen-harris.hubpages.com/hub/Berserkers-in-Viking-Society

I know Ragnar said that he "wanted to see how the king lived", but I found it interesting that he watched the king and mimicked his actions at the "baptism".
post #284 of 683 Old 04-17-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Not sure how accurate this is, but some interesting info none the less. http://stephen-harris.hubpages.com/hub/Berserkers-in-Viking-Society

I know Ragnar said that he "wanted to see how the king lived", but I found it interesting that he watched the king and mimicked his actions at the "baptism".
Here is some more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beserker

post #285 of 683 Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Nice link...as far as Ragnar's desire to see how the king lived and watching his actions...I doubt if he had ever seen a king, so he wants to know how they act, what attributes he might use, what not too, for when he becomes one. Planning ahead maybe.

post #286 of 683 Old 04-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post

The historical accuracy quotient is pretty good in this series so I guess a few puzzling elements can be forgiven - and they are out to generate an audience, don't want to obscure the hunky Viks' good looks on screen.

Their shield wall was a pretty good defense against arrows in the prior episode. However, they would be extremely vulnerable while rowing up the river (had the king been prepared) or back down the river with their gold. You can't row and hold your shield up at the same time. Easily attacked from the banks. Flaming arrows would be even worse (better?).

As to range, 100 feet is certainly viable, 100 yards or more, getting iffy, but barrages of arrows might hit somebody.
post #287 of 683 Old 04-17-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:

I wondered the very same thing.
THEN I realized our heroes couldn't possibly go out that fast....wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS-MI View Post

Their shield wall was a pretty good defense against arrows in the prior episode. However, they would be extremely vulnerable while rowing up the river (had the king been prepared) or back down the river with their gold. You can't row and hold your shield up at the same time. Easily attacked from the banks. Flaming arrows would be even worse (better?).

As to range, 100 feet is certainly viable, 100 yards or more, getting iffy, but barrages of arrows might hit somebody.
I guess we'll just have to suspend disbelief long enough to listen to the story. We know that they won some and later lost some so if the Saxons had wiped them out from the git-go, that wouldn't be historically accurate either.

And yeah, rowing away with a few million in today's dollars in gold and silver they would have been an irresistible target for a legion of archers with flaming arrows. But they did historically make off with loot so they must have found a way.
post #288 of 683 Old 04-17-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, the last attack was only to move the story along. The glaring inaccuracy was the "surprise" cavalry charge. The English and the Vikings of that day used horses (only noblemen could afford them) to transport men to battle. Then they got off, formed a shield wall and charged. The only trained cavalry and it was a real problem for the Vikings, were the Franks, who under Charlemagne, wore mail, carried lances and shields and fought from horseback. If they caught you in the open, rolled right over you. The expense and training was staggering. It took years and it was the reason Charlemagne became the baddest emperor of the day.

post #289 of 683 Old 04-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Aelle's forces have consistently made the mistake of initiating full frontal attacks - it seems that that's the only strategy they know how to use. It would be nice to see them employ some patience and defensive tactics smile.gif having said that, the ensuing battle once the calvary charge was neutralized was wonderful action and very good choreography/cinematography, especially for a television series.

And despite Rollo's scheming, I kinda like his character.
post #290 of 683 Old 04-17-2013, 12:29 PM

I've been following the show from the beginning with great enthusiasm since I've always had an interest on the history of the Germanic Tribes (I've probably seen more than a dozen documentaries about Vikings, Goths, Franks, etc).

First of all, kudos to the writers who have managed to create a great show with serious dialogs. I'm tired of shows trying to be funny all the time, or making light of situations, or aiming for PG ratings. Comical relief gets overdone sometimes. Now, having praised the writers, I'd like to point out that, while based on historic events, this show is not 100% historically accurate. Many liberties have been taken. None of them, however, detract from the show's entertainment value, in my opinion, as it aims to be a drama, not a documentary! Some of the liberties taken:

• They show fjords all the time, but the writing implies that the show is set on Denmark -- which is flat like a pancake. biggrin.gif The writers are clearly sacrificing accuracy for the sake of cinematography. Fine with me, as the visuals are beautiful!
  • Ragnar and Rollo were born in different eras from different families. Therefore, neither they were brothers, nor could they have met, nor could they have raided the monastery in Lindisfarne.

Regarding Rollo and Siggy,: they have been portrayed as the classic "TV vipers" who cannot be fully trusted. It's clear to me that, at some point, they will bite the hands that feed them. Rollo will likely betray his bother. And Siggy will likely betray Lagertha -- who she's "serving" now. Siggy might even be the cause of Lagertha's miscarriage.

Warning: possible Spoilers in this paragraph! It's clear Rollo wants power! And he'll usurp it from someone, someday, somewhere. I think the real-life Rollo did get baptized and invaded Francia, resulting in the creation of Normandy. So, perhaps, for the 2nd season, the writers plan to place Rollo as the ruler of Normandy and play him against Ragnar, the ruler of Denmark....in a Normans vs Vikings plot. By the way, I, too, think Rollo will be blamed for Lagertha's miscarriage and so I wonder if that will lead to him being ostracized.
post #291 of 683 Old 04-17-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by multipath View Post

I've been following the show from the beginning with great enthusiasm since I've always had an interest on the history of the Germanic Tribes (I've probably seen more than a dozen documentaries about Vikings, Goths, Franks, etc).

First of all, kudos to the writers who have managed to create a great show with serious dialogs. I'm tired of shows trying to be funny all the time, or making light of situations, or aiming for PG ratings. Comical relief gets overdone sometimes. Now, having praised the writers, I'd like to point out that, while based on historic events, this show is not 100% historically accurate. Many liberties have been taken. None of them, however, detract from the show's entertainment value, in my opinion, as it aims to be a drama, not a documentary! Some of the liberties taken:

• They show fjords all the time, but the writing implies that the show is set on Denmark -- which is flat like a pancake. biggrin.gif The writers are clearly sacrificing accuracy for the sake of cinematography. Fine with me, as the visuals are beautiful!
  • Ragnar and Rollo were born in different eras from different families. Therefore, neither they were brothers, nor could they have met, nor could they have raided the monastery in Lindisfarne.

Regarding Rollo and Siggy,: they have been portrayed as the classic "TV vipers" who cannot be fully trusted. It's clear to me that, at some point, they will bite the hands that feed them. Rollo will likely betray his bother. And Siggy will likely betray Lagertha -- who she's "serving" now. Siggy might even be the cause of Lagertha's miscarriage.

Warning: possible Spoilers in this paragraph! It's clear Rollo wants power! And he'll usurp it from someone, someday, somewhere. I think the real-life Rollo did get baptized and invaded Francia, resulting in the creation of Normandy. So, perhaps, for the 2nd season, the writers plan to place Rollo as the ruler of Normandy and play him against Ragnar, the ruler of Denmark....in a Normans vs Vikings plot. By the way, I, too, think Rollo will be blamed for Lagertha's miscarriage and so I wonder if that will lead to him being ostracized.

Great post! I confessed in an earlier post that my knowledge of both Viking history and the history of the 9th Century is spotty, to say the least. Thanks for providing some insight into the life and times of the real Ragnar and his non brother Rollo.
post #292 of 683 Old 04-17-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 48
watched it again last night, and for what its worth, siggy seemed genuinely concerned for lagetha after her miscarriage.

the way the let that scene develop made it look like siggy was allied with lagertha and certainly show any scheming or any
other devious behavior.

of course this is television and she could become a witch to lagertha and ragnar in ep 9.

neflixis our nemesis
post #293 of 683 Old 04-17-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by multipath View Post

Yeah, they've taken liberties...

Lindisfarne - 793 the raid happened before any of these characters were born (probably).
Ragnar - b. 9th century, d. 845 or 865 depending on who you believe
Laguertha - rumored first wife of Ragnar, but there were others
Rollo - b. 10th century, conquered Normandy in the late 900's
Floki - famous explorer who in the 9th that found Iceland based on reports...used the raven trick to find it from the Faroe Islands. Later settled there.
Bjorn - noted in some accounts as a son of Ragnar
Aelle - King of Northumbria who by account threw Ragnar into the snake pit...was killed the following year when the sons invaded...supposedly did the Blood Eagle on him in 865-6 or 7

So it seems they've taken historical characters and mashed them up into one big happy family. No matter, great story so far.

post #294 of 683 Old 04-17-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:

Yeah, they've taken liberties...

Lindisfarne - 793 the raid happened before any of these characters were born (probably).
Ragnar - b. 9th century, d. 845 or 865 depending on who you believe
Laguertha - rumored first wife of Ragnar, but there were others
Rollo - b. 10th century, conquered Normandy in the late 900's
Floki - famous explorer who in the 9th that found Iceland based on reports...used the raven trick to find it from the Faroe Islands. Later settled there.
Bjorn - noted in some accounts as a son of Ragnar
Aelle - King of Northumbria who by account threw Ragnar into the snake pit...was killed the following year when the sons invaded...supposedly did the Blood Eagle on him in 865-6 or 7

So it seems they've taken historical characters and mashed them up into one big happy family. No matter, great story so far.

It seems to me that the compression of historical characters who actually lived over several generations into a single story of a single era probably doesn't do too much harm. In this day and age of ever more amazing scientific and technological progress and the massive societal changes it causes, its easy to forget the Viking era was an extremely primitive time when the Viking ships and Saxon long bows were the cutting edge of technology. I suspect that whatever changes took place in England and Scandinavia between the 8th Century and the 10th were pretty insignificant by current standards.
post #295 of 683 Old 04-17-2013, 07:30 PM

For those interested in learning more about the vikings, check out the excellent website and documentaries below. Note to Moderators: I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules. Please, feel free to delete any links you believe to be inappropriate. smile.gif

The Viking Answer Lady:
Viking Age History, Culture, Arts, Literature, and More.
http://www.vikinganswerlady.com

Blood Of The Vikings:
Geneticist Professor David Goldstein, from University College London,
lead the 15-month study that compared mouth swabs from 2,500 male
volunteers from 25 different locations across the country with DNA
samples from Scandinavian locals to find out how much Viking
heritage remains in the UK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXpqgmBS6DM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2gXurOZuwA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3ccqjkeWSY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ-FlBk35QY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZRPwnWYatw

Vikings:
Neil Oliver goes in search of the truth about the Vikings beyond the
accepted history of a band of blood-thirsty pirates raiding the
peaceful monasteries of Christendom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhYVHlEnZPU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tsGBSzFlKA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkyeTP_LQDQ

The Lost Vikings:
Narrated by Roy Scheider, this documentary takes the viewer to the
coast of Greenland, where an enclave of Vikings once lived. Scientists
have long asked why the Vikings who settled there vanished. Were
they attacked by a hostile force? Was there an astronomical or
geological disaster?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7OtF45-CU

Viking Apocalypse:
English road workers unearth a tangled mass of headless skeletons
and severed skulls while digging foundations for a new highway.
Who are these ancient victims and why were they killed?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaC1V5WQ4i8

Vikings Journey to New Worlds:
This documentary explains how these brave and vicious fighters
impacted their time, and still have some influence over the world today.
The film was shot on location in Iceland, Greenland, and Newfoundland.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSUuJ05BxuE

The Strangest Viking:
Nabil Shaban, a disability rights advocate with osteogenesis imperfecta,
explores the possibility that Ivar the Boneless may have had the same
condition as himself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvGWM3Lw5RA

Secrets of The Viking Sword:
A modern-day swordsmith reverse engineers the ultimate weapon of the
Middle Ages—a sword both prized and feared: the Ulfberht sword.
Fashioned using a process that would remain unknown to the Vikings'
rivals for centuries, the Ulfberht was a revolutionary high-tech tool as
well as a work of art.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXbLyVpWsVM
post #296 of 683 Old 04-17-2013, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 118
My DVR cut off. Could someone tell me what happened at the end of last ep? The gang got the gold, and I got a shot of the king looking very pissed off, then ...?

Thanks
post #297 of 683 Old 04-17-2013, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

My DVR cut off. Could someone tell me what happened at the end of last ep? The gang got the gold, and I got a shot of the king looking very pissed off, then ...?

Thanks

Mine cut off at the exact same spot!

post #298 of 683 Old 04-17-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:

My DVR cut off. Could someone tell me what happened at the end of last ep?

You can watch it at History's website: www.history.com/shows/vikings/videos
post #299 of 683 Old 04-18-2013, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:

Thanks

King Aelle is just standing and seathing watching Ragnar's ships leaving and muttering about all the horrible things he's going to do to Rags next chance he gets.

I usually pad the end of my recording times by a couple of minutes so that doesn't happen to me very often. Sometimes it leads to schedule conflicts, but a cablenet show is usually repeated a few times later on that same night so there are typically opportunities to resolve such conflicts and still get padded recordings in.
post #300 of 683 Old 04-18-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Yep, it's pretty much gotten to where I pad all the shows because it's obvious they're trying to mess with DVRs. Good thing I have a 4-tuner Tivo with a 3-tuner HTPC as backup. And as arch says, conflicts on cable nets are usually a non-issue anyway due to the endless reruns.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page