post #361 of 683 Old 04-26-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by multipath View Post

By the way, there are already some spoilers leaking online about Season 2. If you guys are curious, google it. wink.gif
NO WAY!
I like to be surprised.smile.gif

Do you know when the new season will start?

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 683 Old 04-26-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

NO WAY!
I like to be surprised.smile.gif

Do you know when the new season will start?
They are jumping ahead in time...S2 starts in the summer of 847AD. eek.gif

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #363 of 683 Old 04-26-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Surely one of our resident Spoilerphobics will now accuse you of having posted a "SPOILER!"smile.gif
post #364 of 683 Old 04-26-2013, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Indeed! Major spoiler. biggrin.gif I hadn't heard about that, but now that you put it out there, I'll discuss it. Wasn't the raid on Lindisfarne on late 700 AD? Even on the show itself, it was portrayed as happening on that date. So how can they jump forward 50 years for Season 2?!?! That would mean lots of people from the current season would be dead! I was hoping for 1 more season with the same cast, even if they looked 10 years older.

I'm gonna cross my fingers for you to be wrong. wink.gif
post #365 of 683 Old 04-26-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Hey, let's all take a deep breath here and realize this History Channel show isn't really about history. It's about good-looking people hackin' & slashin' & schemin' & lovin'. (Same as 'Spartacus', BTW.)

Personally, I'm fine with that. If I want history I can go read a book like some of you eggheads. tongue.gif
post #366 of 683 Old 04-26-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Can we expect to see everybody wearing leisure suits and sporting side burns?

Uh wait...
post #367 of 683 Old 04-26-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Hey, let's all take a deep breath here and realize this History Channel show isn't really about history. It's about good-looking people hackin' & slashin' & schemin' & lovin'. (Same as 'Spartacus', BTW.)

Personally, I'm fine with that. If I want history I can go read a book like some of you eggheads. tongue.gif

+1! As a lot of you know I read a bunch of books but few of them are any smarter than Vikings. maybe not as smart, and certainly no more fun.
post #368 of 683 Old 04-27-2013, 01:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Surely one of our resident Spoilerphobics will now accuse you of having posted a "SPOILER!"smile.gif
Not really much of a "spoiler...."
We ALL know Vikings eventually evolved into Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Shakespeare-quoting Klingons.

post #369 of 683 Old 04-27-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Can we expect to see everybody wearing leisure suits and sporting side burns?

Uh wait...
Ya no, some of the historians have criticized the costumes...so maybe so. However, the time jump I'm talking about is that all the characters pass through a portal and arrive 50 years later. They're so happy to be back in sync with history, they decide to put on a "show". That episode will be produced by the showrunners of Smash (who have nothing else to do right now). Casting change: Megan Hilty will now play Laguertha and Christy McFee will be the new love interest as Marilyn...oops Aslaug. Turns out both Fimmel and Standin have Broadway quality voices...Skarsgard will need to be dubbed in. Can't wait...tongue.gif

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #370 of 683 Old 04-27-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ya no, some of the historians have criticized the costumes...so maybe so. However, the time jump I'm talking about is that all the characters pass through a portal and arrive 50 years later. They're so happy to be back in sync with history, they decide to put on a "show". That episode will be produced by the showrunners of Smash (who have nothing else to do right now). Casting change: Megan Hilty will now play Laguertha and Christy McFee will be the new love interest as Marilyn...oops Aslaug. Turns out both Fimmel and Standin have Broadway quality voices...Skarsgard will need to be dubbed in. Can't wait...tongue.gif
Ron, what have I told you about drinking before noon?

post #371 of 683 Old 04-27-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ron, what have I told you about drinking before noon?
I know...should have put spoiler tags on that, but when the news broke, I just couldn't resist.

post #372 of 683 Old 04-27-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I know...should have put spoiler tags on that, but when the news broke, I just couldn't resist.
Sorry, I guess I was being a little hypocritical with that comment.
On my way out the door to a Brewfest....
http://ogbf2013.blogspot.com/

post #373 of 683 Old 04-27-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, I guess I was being a little hypocritical with that comment.
On my way out the door to a Brewfest....
http://ogbf2013.blogspot.com/
Didn't notice as I haven't had a drink today. Now yesterday, your comment would have stung eek.gif.

post #374 of 683 Old 04-27-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a rather long interview with Michael Hirst, creator of Vikings. No spoilers, but very good background on how the show came to pass, his goals, his historical accuracy and comparisons to The Tudors.

http://www.goldderby.com/news/4287/vikings-michael-hirst-travis-fimmel-gabriel-byrne-emmy-awards-tv-news-entertainment.html

post #375 of 683 Old 04-27-2013, 05:14 PM

Liked: 16
Kind of late to the party,could someone post a link with the episode order. I want to start at the beginning and watch them in order.

Thanks

JERRY
post #376 of 683 Old 04-27-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Didn't notice as I haven't had a drink today. Now yesterday, your comment would have stung eek.gif.
My comments are NEVER supposed to be taken seriously....wink.gif

post #377 of 683 Old 04-27-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Hey, let's all take a deep breath here and realize this History Channel show isn't really about history.

True. But at the moment the producers decided to write about real people, real places and real events, they set themselves into that trap. biggrin.gif

I don't mind when they get the dates wrong, but given that Bjorn has contributed with nothing so far, the writers could have omitted him from Season 1 altogether! Then, they could have written him into Season 2, after Ragnar has met his real mother, Aslaug -- which has been already hinted by the finale's preview! My concern with the jump into year 848 AD for Season 2 (still hoping it's not happening) is not related with historical accuracy at all. It's just the fact that the characters are currently living in the last years of the 790's AD. Jumping 50 years ahead would mean that viewers would either be watching grandparents Ragnar, Rollo, Siggy and Lagertha during Season 2, or lose them to the low longevity of that century. I was hooping for a Season 2 where everyone from the current Season was about the same age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopper810 View Post

Kind of late to the party,could someone post a link with the episode order. I want to start at the beginning and watch them in order.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2306299/episodes?season=1
post #378 of 683 Old 04-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I look at this program as a drama written with some historical background. The liberties taken with dates, costumes, etc. does nothing to diminish the entertainment value to me. If they jumped to different periods in order to preserve historical accuracy it would necessitate changing principle characters and the series would loose continuity and possibly loose viewers as popular characters would leave abruptly. There have been plenty of documentaries with a voice over narrative where there is no connection with the characters. I'm enjoying this program and I'll give a lot of leeway to literary license to keep things entertaining. The series is providing a good "flavor" of the Vikings based on some historic "episodes" and IMO that's good enough.
Phantom Stranger likes this.
post #379 of 683 Old 04-27-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:

I'd be surprised if they did. They would jettison a lot of good character development. Unless they use some event of that year to begin a reflection on the days of Ragnor and gang, complete with beau coup flashbacks.
post #380 of 683 Old 04-28-2013, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I never expected to be taken seriously. That's unusual. So, I'm going to very clear here. Vikings is taking a time jump, 847 first, then 967 for Rollo to conquer Normandy, then 2011 to be integrated into a previous season of Sons of Anarchy, with spinoffs to Glee for their new musical adaptations. It's pretty simple really, think Spamalot without King Arthur. Broadway is already rehearsing the play.

post #381 of 683 Old 04-28-2013, 04:44 PM

Showrunner gave this info on Laguertha's character. Despite what happens in the finale she will remain a major,major character and will remain in the series for a very long time.
post #382 of 683 Old 04-28-2013, 05:39 PM

With all due respect to the beautiful Aslaug, daughter of Sigurd and the shieldmaiden Brynhildr, Lagertha stole my heart. It's going to be a long wait till Season 2 in 2014.... Very long wait.

post #383 of 683 Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamerie52 View Post

Showrunner gave this info on Laguertha's character. Despite what happens in the finale she will remain a major,major character and will remain in the series for a very long time.

Laguertha has been established as a strong leader and probably very popular with the survivors who witnessed her strong leadership while Rags was off making bump uglies with the princess. Rags may end up with many women in his attempts to have many sons, but it will be very umpopular with the common folk to reduce Lag's royal role at this point. She also could be a lynchpin toward Christianity as her prayers to the gods seem unanswered.
Rollo is shown betraying Rags. He might be jealous, but it might not be in him to go so far as betraying him. Rollo could be playing the earl. I don't think Rollo had much choice at that point but to agree as the earl would have had him killed had he not. Afterall, if the earl is taken out by Rags and the king, then Rollo could end up with the Jarl, albeit without the disputed land and never achieving Rags fame.
post #384 of 683 Old 04-29-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I was a tad disappointed in the finale as largely it was used as a setup for next season. Had this show been one and done, then we'd all be very upset. No real surprises. Rags has a new broodmare. Rollo is still flirting with treason. Lags is hurting. I did like the Jarl's character as a foil for both Rags and Horik...hope they don't wrap that up too quick. I was sure Rags was going to off him while Rollo held him down during the last scenes, but he opted to take an estrogen shot and cuddle with Aslaug. Don't know what to make of her. She was obviously put in Rags' path by the Jarl, so there's some manipulation going on.

post #385 of 683 Old 04-29-2013, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:

I was a tad disappointed in the finale as largely it was used as a setup for next season. Had this show been one and done, then we'd all be very upset. No real surprises. Rags has a new broodmare. Rollo is still flirting with treason. Lags is hurting. I did like the Jarl's character as a foil for both Rags and Horik...hope they don't wrap that up too quick. I was sure Rags was going to off him while Rollo held him down during the last scenes, but he opted to take an estrogen shot and cuddle with Aslaug. Don't know what to make of her. She was obviously put in Rags' path by the Jarl, so there's some manipulation going on.

Yes, I thought Ragnar was off to off the earl, not cuddle with his new honey.
post #386 of 683 Old 04-29-2013, 12:14 PM

It seems as though the producers went all in on generating interest for a season two with this finale. If it hadn't been agreed to by now, this episode would have really generated some serious sequel buzz. You're right, no one was going to be happy with some sort of neat and tidy Bonanza TV style wrap-up, with virtue, honor, and sheer good lucks winning the day.

I had mixed feelings about the new Jarl. No lightweight he, I imagine a lot of those ol' boys exuded ruthlessness. I can't find it now, but I read somewhere about Rags relocating to Sweden, or maybe it was just that he took a new wife in Sweden, I forget. Maybe Aslaug will move him to join forces with the new Jarl after all. Could be he's a more honest man than Horick.

Wouldn't surprise if in season 2 or 3 Rags keeps the date with the Saxon snake pit and his sons go on to be the new heroes. This thing could become a franchise like Survivor, with a loyal fan base and 10 + years of run. Who knows, Fimmel might stay on for 5 years or more. He has a good mix of hero and arrogant cad.

History channel seems to be minting money these days. Pawn Stars is what, the cable leader and now the Bible and Vikings? Jeez, better hire more people to count the money.

*EDIT*
Double-checked on that last part and looks likes that's old news, regarding Pawn Stars anyway. The new leader is another HC offering: Duck Dynasty (?!?). Go figure. It's mildly entertaining at best for my humble behind. Saw maybe 1 1/2 episodes and that's enough.
post #387 of 683 Old 04-29-2013, 02:14 PM

About episode 8, I re-watched it before the Finale and noticed something that escaped me the first time I saw it. When they all arrive to Uppsala, Lagertha asks Ragnar "Does he know?". I thought she meant the Priest, but now I see she was talking about Leif, instead! He was just a few steps ahead of them when she asked the question and both she and Ragnar were looking at him, not Athelstan, who was actually a few steps behind the couple. That implies (to me, at least) that Ragnar was already counting on Leif being sacrificed.... And that means that he knew his Christian buddy would fail the test and survive the trip! So Ragnar still cares for Athelstan, after all!

Now on to the Finale.... I hadn't taken a good look at Aslaug till I watched last night's episode (I intentionally avoid previews), but once I watched it, I realized the actress who was picked for the role is -- when compared to the other actresses already in the cast -- the one with the less impressive good looks. And it's also worth noting that she put some effort at tempting Ragnar. I think the producers portrayed her like that deliberately, so that the audience would keep rooting for the "beautiful" and "noble" Lagertha. That would corroborate the claim that Lagertha will remain a key player on future seasons.

Still regarding Lagertha.... I think she will start questioning the power of the Viking Gods from now on. After all, they have failed to give her the second son she needed and also failed to save her daughter from the Plague. On the other hand, the Christian God has saved Athelstan twice: first from being sacrificed in Uppsala, then from being killed by the Plague. The Priest will probably convert Lagertha to Christianity. By the way, were Siggy and her daughter casualties of the fever too? Towards the end I didn't see Siggy anywhere.

Regarding Rollo, I don't know what the heck he's scheming, but I'm sure that whatever that is, he'll ultimately found Normandy and fight Ragnar.
post #388 of 683 Old 04-29-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

About episode 8, I re-watched it before the Finale and noticed something that escaped me the first time I saw it. When they all arrive to Uppsala, Lagertha asks Ragnar "Does he know?". I thought she meant the Priest, but now I see she was talking about Leif, instead! He was just a few steps ahead of them when she asked the question and both she and Ragnar were looking at him, not Athelstan, who was actually a few steps behind the couple. That implies (to me, at least) that Ragnar was already counting on Leif being sacrificed.... And that means that he knew his Christian buddy would fail the test and survive the trip! So Ragnar still cares for Athelstan, after all!

Now on to the Finale.... I hadn't taken a good look at Aslaug till I watched last night's episode (I intentionally avoid previews), but once I watched it, I realized the actress who was picked for the role is -- when compared to the other actresses already in the cast -- the one with the less impressive good looks. And it's also worth noting that she put some effort at tempting Ragnar. I think the producers portrayed her like that deliberately, so that the audience would keep rooting for the "beautiful" and "noble" Lagertha. That would corroborate the claim that Lagertha will remain a key player on future seasons.

Still regarding Lagertha.... I think she will start questioning the power of the Viking Gods from now on. After all, they have failed to give her the second son she needed and also failed to save her daughter from the Plague. On the other hand, the Christian God has saved Athelstan twice: first from being sacrificed in Uppsala, then from being killed by the Plague. The Priest will probably convert Lagertha to Christianity. By the way, were Siggy and her daughter casualties of the fever too? Towards the end I didn't see Siggy anywhere.

Regarding Rollo, I don't know what the heck he's scheming, but I'm sure that whatever that is, he'll ultimately found Normandy and fight Ragnar.
pretty much agree with everything you've noted. Aslaug (Alyssa Something, model turned actress) looks a bit like a supermodel past her prime and Hirst has said, he's gonna keep Lags around for quite some time (partly due to Winnock's high Q factor with the female audience). That said, Rags has got to get his boys, so Aslaug will play a big part in S2.

Siggy survived, at least they didn't show her death, just her grief.

Rollo, per Clive Standen, is the historical character and how that plays out will be interesting. However, I'm not sure why Hirst needed a historical character from 100 years later, to be Ragnar's envious brother. It seems like bending the rules too much. There was no reason a fictional character couldn't perform the same functions...be the same guy...without having be a major historical figure that founds another dynasty. Oh well, something to talk about. We'll see in S2 if the Rags/Rollo breakup is for real or just another pot/plot simmering on the burner.

post #389 of 683 Old 04-30-2013, 12:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post

Rollo is shown betraying Rags. He might be jealous, but it might not be in him to go so far as betraying him. Rollo could be playing the earl. I don't think Rollo had much choice at that point but to agree as the earl would have had him killed had he not. Afterall, if the earl is taken out by Rags and the king, then Rollo could end up with the Jarl, albeit without the disputed land and never achieving Rags fame.
I am not 100% convinced Rollo will turn on Rags.
He may just be playing possum....again.wink.gif

Quote:

I hadn't taken a good look at Aslaug till I watched last night's episode (I intentionally avoid previews), but once I watched it, I realized the actress who was picked for the role is -- when compared to the other actresses already in the cast -- the one with the less impressive good looks. And it's also worth noting that she put some effort at tempting Ragnar. I think the producers portrayed her like that deliberately
It was all too convenient...too easy.
IMO, Aslaug is a temptress sent by the gods.

Quote:

Siggy survived, at least they didn't show her death, just her grief.
The question is....what will be her influence on Rollo now?

post #390 of 683 Old 04-30-2013, 10:43 AM

Spoiler Alert!
Interview with writer/producer Michael Hirst about the Finale and what's coming on Season 2.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/28/vikings-season-finale-season-2-all-change_n_3175975.html
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page