post #32 of 976 Old 03-07-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I watched the first episode of Vikings and mostly liked it. I thought it looked and sounded very good and, as always, Gabriel Byrne and Jessalyn Gilsig did a great job. I am a little less sure of the actor who plays Our Hero, Lothar. He is an Aussie named Travis Fimmel. His default expression seems to range between a smirk and a sneer, something a more cynical observer might call a s**t eating grin. It bothered me. I thought both the actor who plays Ragnar's brother, Clive Standen, and the actress who played Lothar's wife, Katheryn Winnick, were excellent. I liked the plot but do wish the show had found a stronger leading man. I'll see what happens next, maybe better direction will improve Fimmel's performances. I hope so because Vikings shows a lot of promise.
I noticed Flimmel too, but am not critical of it. I think it's perfectly in character with the literary Viking leaders I've read about. Viking leaders I've read about, have some shared characteristics. They might be humorous, glum, talkative, etc. but most are smart, ambitious and would rather gain respect by dissing an opponent, than show it to a rival. Ragnar doesn't like the Earl. He doesn't respect him. He's not afraid of him. In short, he's everything the Earl fears. Ragnar needs supporters, Vikings are drawn to adventurous, confident and lucky leaders. The actor, Fimmel, is channeling that, IMO. I expect him to get even more sly and cocky as the series progresses. To be fair, he's not one dimensional with his wife, son or brother...just for the establishment.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #33 of 976 Old 03-07-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 3420 Post(s)
Liked: 3995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

I noticed Flimmel too, but am not critical of it. I think it's perfectly in character with the literary Viking leaders I've read about. Viking leaders I've read about, have some shared characteristics. They might be humorous, glum, talkative, etc. but most are smart, ambitious and would rather gain respect by dissing an opponent, than show it to a rival. Ragnar doesn't like the Earl. He doesn't respect him. He's not afraid of him. In short, he's everything the Earl fears. Ragnar needs supporters, Vikings are drawn to adventurous, confident and lucky leaders. The actor, Fimmel, is channeling that, IMO. I expect him to get even more sly and cocky as the series progresses. To be fair, he's not one dimensional with his wife, son or brother...just for the establishment.

Ron -- I appreciate your positive spin on Travis Fimmel's performance and fervently hope you are right about it. Vikings is off to a mostly good start and I hope the show builds on it. Appreciate your insight about real Vikings. What I know about real 8th Century Viking history wouldn't fill a thimble.smile.gif

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+

post #34 of 976 Old 03-08-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Ron -- I appreciate your positive spin on Travis Fimmel's performance and fervently hope you are right about it. Vikings is off to a mostly good start and I hope the show builds on it. Appreciate your insight about real Vikings. What I know about real 8th Century Viking history wouldn't fill a thimble.smile.gif
When I was a youngster, I was quite entertained by the bad boys of history. I've read historians on the Viking period, but mostly just historical fiction, some good some bad. It's too soon to tell if this series white washes upcoming events. It looks to be attempting a somewhat accurate look at the culture. It had it's good points. They were great traders and explorers, but the land was poor, politically there were a ton of small kingdoms, each ruled or guided by warlords (who lasted only as long as they had the most swords)...and...rather than trade, it was easier to steal, rape and pillage, if their trading partners couldn't fight back. Being able to attack inland on ships faster than horses made them real challenge to defend against. After they pretty much decimated Ireland, they setup the ports as slave markets and booty exhcange depots for ships heading back home from Summer vacation.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #35 of 976 Old 03-09-2013, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
There was one problem in the 1st show: the Earl referred to 'Russia'. Since this was 893 ad and the history of Russia is said to start in 862 ad and these guys are essentially the 'Rus', they wouldn't be referring to Russia. Both Rus and Russia would be names used by others.
post #36 of 976 Old 03-09-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post

There was one problem in the 1st show: the Earl referred to 'Russia'. Since this was 893 ad and the history of Russia is said to start in 862 ad and these guys are essentially the 'Rus', they wouldn't be referring to Russia. Both Rus and Russia would be names used by others.

yeah but if they we to use names of time the average person would have no clue what they are talking about. have to give some wiggle room for writers. if they made it all historic no one would watch. so far seems like nice balance, history buffs like myself can did deeper after and discover more about the subject.
post #37 of 976 Old 03-09-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post

But at least he didn't refer to them as "Commie bastids" or the "Evil Empire"
post #38 of 976 Old 03-09-2013, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

Vikes were known for inventing the SEG
Quote:

But at least he didn't refer to them as "Commie bastids" or the "Evil Empire"
LOL...you're on a roll here.tongue.gif
post #39 of 976 Old 03-11-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 108
well ep 2 has things moving along nicely.

only negative is that thing with the earl and his wife. what does that have to do with anything viking?
post #40 of 976 Old 03-11-2013, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3932 Post(s)
Liked: 4080
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

well ep 2 has things moving along nicely.

only negative is that thing with the earl and his wife. what does that have to do with anything viking?

I was wondering what was up with the Earl's baiting and subsequent killing of the scarred dude he sent to spy on Ragnar. A loyalty test? WTF? Seems like the guy did what he was told; he didn't join Ragnar's group or anything. Maybe it's to show how unbalanced the Earl is.

So, are we to believe this was the first Viking raid on an English settlement? They had never seen these guys before?
post #41 of 976 Old 03-11-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

i liked the brothers comment,

what's up with these people, they have no women here?
post #42 of 976 Old 03-11-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

lindisfarne was first raid by norse. The expanding population of Scandinavia led to a shortage of available resources and arable land there and led to a period of Viking expansion. tho most likely was launched from shetland according to this map.

yes rollo is quite the womanizer lol
post #43 of 976 Old 03-12-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since my last post got deleted...here it is again. I like ep. 2. Raggie's wife is quite the spitfire isn't she? Fimmel's acting chops are fine in my opinion. Ragnar's hard, smart, ambitious, low key and can give an ice cold glare with the best of them. He's aiming for a collision with Earl Byrne (by his own design) and methinks, that after a few bumps, the Earl is toast. Potical disputes didn't last long. Either one gang burned out anothers hall at knight and killed everyone (nits make lice) or they challenged and fought if the sides were fairly equal. Vikings liked to follow successful leaders, so he's off to a good start.

Anyone notice the tall, older, long blonde Viking named Eric? He was the leader of the 13th Warrior band playing Beowulf (though that wasn't his name in the movie)...a real badass.

post #44 of 976 Old 03-13-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:

Since my last post got deleted...here it is again. I like ep. 2. Raggie's wife is quite the spitfire isn't she? Fimmel's acting chops are fine in my opinion.

I meant to respond to your entirely uncontroversial earlier post after I saw the AVS email notice of it yesterday but was puzzled to see that it wasn't posted at AVS. Go figure.

I liked episode 2 of Vikings too. Although Fimmel's smirk/sneer didn't quite disappear it was much less in evidence in episode 2 than it had been in episode 1. Fimmel may turn out to be all right. I agree that Ragnar's wife, Lagertha, is a handful, a very formidable lady.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #45 of 976 Old 03-16-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I meant to respond to your entirely uncontroversial earlier post after I saw the AVS email notice of it yesterday but was puzzled to see that it wasn't posted at AVS. Go figure.

I liked episode 2 of Vikings too. Although Fimmel's smirk/sneer didn't quite disappear it was much less in evidence in episode 2 than it had been in episode 1. Fimmel may turn out to be all right. I agree that Ragnar's wife, Lagertha, is a handful, a very formidable lady.
Since the new interface, occassionally when I post, I'll get 3 duplicates. If I delete 2 of them my post don't stick. I just discovered that if I delete just one, then hit refresh, the dups disappear.

post #46 of 976 Old 03-16-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Since the new interface, occassionally when I post, I'll get 3 duplicates. If I delete 2 of them my post don't stick. I just discovered that if I delete just one, then hit refresh, the dups disappear.

Thanks for the explanation. I was pleased to learn that you weren't being punished by a moderator.smile.gif

post #47 of 976 Old 03-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Thanks for the explanation. I was pleased to learn that you weren't being punished by a moderator.smile.gif

However, if the moderator asks if you'd like to be with his wife, I would decline...

R. Aster
post #48 of 976 Old 03-17-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Aster View Post

However, if the moderator asks if you'd like to be with his wife, I would decline...

lol it will all be arranged
post #49 of 976 Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

damn, i didn't know vikings were into swinging
post #50 of 976 Old 03-18-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Those Scandanavians still are pretty open about sex and marriage...at least some are. Still, while it might have been fun for Rags and Lags, I think the point was his ongoing strategy to develop information about England. Next day, he just got him drunk. Also, while Rags might seem like a nice guy, I wouldn't be surprised if he turned on the monk at some point. The guy is very goal oriented and may or may not be totally ruthless. From what I've read, he was. I'm thinking they are showing his charming side at this point. I'm waiting for the shoe to drop.

post #51 of 976 Old 03-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

You missed some of the dialog:

RAGNAR (after sex): That was great and epic sex! I am like a god! I'm Thor!
LAGERTHA: Well, if you're too thor, Let's just ask that nice monk to do me again.

R. Aster
post #52 of 976 Old 03-18-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 152
i was confused about the sex thing. Was Ragnar simply testing the priest's loyalty to him?
Doubt it as the wife seemed hungry for fresh meat.
post #53 of 976 Old 03-18-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

i was confused about the sex thing. Was Ragnar simply testing the priest's loyalty to him?
Doubt it as the wife seemed hungry for fresh meat.
While I think Ragnar and wife were totally willing to have some fun, I think the object was Aethalston's seduction...sex, booze, friendly atmosphere...all in order to gain knowledge of England, language and future pillaging opportunities. That's why he took him as his slave.

post #54 of 976 Old 03-20-2013, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2388 Post(s)
Liked: 3022
post #55 of 976 Old 03-20-2013, 10:18 AM

Vikings is growing on me. The Earl's highhanded and greedy decision to keep most of the treasure Ragnar, at great risk, brought back from England surprised me. It seems to me that the Earl has seriously underestimated Ragnar and will end up paying a heavy price for it. If, as I expect, Knut betrays Ragnar again and reports the secrets of Ragnar's navigation tools to the Earl, Knut's treachery will mean his death. Come to think of it, Ragnar may be smart enough to kill Knut before he brings his ship back home.

post #56 of 976 Old 03-20-2013, 11:36 AM

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Gnarly Old English Dude: Hey dudes what are you doing here?

Viking Leader Guy: We are traders and come in peace. AXE TO THE FACE YO
post #57 of 976 Old 03-20-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Vikings is growing on me. The Earl's highhanded and greedy decision to keep most of the treasure Ragnar, at great risk, brought back from England surprised me. It seems to me that the Earl has seriously underestimated Ragnar and will end up paying a heavy price for it. If, as I expect, Knut betrays Ragnar again and reports the secrets of Ragnar's navigation tools to the Earl, Knut's treachery will mean his death. Come to think of it, Ragnar may be smart enough to kill Knut before he brings his ship back home.

have to think something bad is going to happen to knut on this trip
post #58 of 976 Old 03-20-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't know...maybe Ragnar is playing the long game...maybe Knut or Canute (seen it spelled both ways) is more useful alive for now. However, I get the feeling there's little that gets by Ragnar, if he gets betrayed, he's expecting it and has plans in motion

Also, along the beach when they encounter the English. Everyone wants to kill them except Ragnar because of the trap possibility. I think Ragnar wanted it to play out to see what might happen. Figuring that the Vikings might not have to fight, get bought off (which happened many times) with treasure. Then come back next year for a 2nd helping...don't kill the goose strategy.

post #59 of 976 Old 03-21-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I don't know...maybe Ragnar is playing the long game...maybe Knut or Canute (seen it spelled both ways) is more useful alive for now. However, I get the feeling there's little that gets by Ragnar, if he gets betrayed, he's expecting it and has plans in motion

Also, along the beach when they encounter the English. Everyone wants to kill them except Ragnar because of the trap possibility. I think Ragnar wanted it to play out to see what might happen. Figuring that the Vikings might not have to fight, get bought off (which happened many times) with treasure. Then come back next year for a 2nd helping...don't kill the goose strategy.

good point. just shows you that unlike most mini-series, the writers have put some thought into this.

it certainly is sucking me in.
post #60 of 976 Old 03-21-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:

good point. just shows you that unlike most mini-series, the writers have put some thought into this.

it certainly is sucking me in.

I like it better than Game of Snores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page