Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
post #691 of 705 Old 01-23-2015, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 61
here's to the network that miraculously presented this production that is so much more than anyone expected

from the same network that so consistently and horrendously butchers and fabricates historical facts

go figure

neflixis our nemesis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 705 Old 01-24-2015, 12:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post
here's to the network that miraculously presented this production that is so much more than anyone expected

from the same network that so consistently and horrendously butchers and fabricates historical facts

go figure
Yeah...that.

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
post #693 of 705 Old 02-17-2015, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Hurry up Thursday!!
baja7475 likes this.

Sorry BHN, I went to the 'dark side'. Crap I say
post #694 of 705 Old 02-17-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Yeah, 'Vikings' has consistently excelled, and moved up my show rankings to near top of the list, probably right behind 'The Americans' and 'Justified'. I've enjoyed the 7 minute recaps they've been showing bundled under "Athelstan's Journal". Clever way to introduce newbies to a serialized show and remind the rest of us what's happened.
Nayan and baja7475 like this.
post #695 of 705 Old 02-20-2015, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not bad. Some interesting new twists. I was wondering if Lagatha's earldom would show some intrigue. Not sure I was ready for that many teasers at the end though. Almost spilled to much. But I'm OK, I think it's going to be good.

Not to pick but I think it was unrealistic for Rollo and the others to jump off the ships with no shields. Why would one expect the archers to back off when they still had an advantage?

Last edited by cmac2012; 02-20-2015 at 12:54 AM.
post #696 of 705 Old 02-20-2015, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
Not bad. Some interesting new twists. I was wondering if Lagatha's earldom would show some intrigue. Not sure I was ready for that many teasers at the end though. Almost spilled to much. But I'm OK, I think it's going to be good.

Not to pick but I think it was unrealistic for Rollo and the others to jump off the ships with no shields. Why would one expect the archers to back off when they still had an advantage?
Only idiots would split their forces on two sides of a river without any way to support each other. As I've said before, what's up with the Vikings having no helmets? I get that actors don't want their faces hidden, but it stands out like a sore thumb since all their enemies wear them (except other Vikings) and we know historically that they wore them. Only the poor went into battle without some sort of helmet and armor. The well off wore chain mail and armor from fallen warriors along with slaves were huge booty items in the markets. Rags, Lags, Rollo, Bjorn and Floki are only decked out in a few pieces of heavy leather. That's what the poor unfamous starter warriors wore. The main protagonists should be wearing 9th century Darth Vader outfits (customized of course). They are the top of the Viking food chain...C'mon Hirst spend some dough on some cosplay Viking armor at least. Since the show has tried to get so much right about their lifestyle, you'd think they'd go there.

Still, I like the show very much.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Last edited by Ron Temple; 02-20-2015 at 09:58 AM.
post #697 of 705 Old 02-20-2015, 12:06 PM

^ Can't argue with any of that. The uncle and nephew being that dumb might have worked as a device to explain how a relatively small band Viks could prevail against the standing army of a large province. But yeah, who would be that dumb? They knew the Viks would be in boats and could go where they wish.

And what, there's some unwritten rule that the archers must stand aside so the foot soldiers can be in position? You'd have to be a fool not to have your archers interspersed among them, ready to fall back and change weaponry likely as not, at the last minute.

The way they portrayed it, half of the Viks would have been felled by archers as the boats began to beach.

Perhaps they're trying to suggest that Rags and gang are more effective lightly encumbered, that they are like the Michael Jordans of warfare of the day, that they can deal out death so quickly, it pays for them not to be armored.

It's a bit of a stretch but I too like the show and will suspend disbelief. We know that they did prevail in many battles so oh well.
post #698 of 705 Old 02-20-2015, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
^ Can't argue with any of that. The uncle and nephew being that dumb might have worked as a device to explain how a relatively small band Viks could prevail against the standing army of a large province. But yeah, who would be that dumb? They knew the Viks would be in boats and could go where they wish.

And what, there's some unwritten rule that the archers must stand aside so the foot soldiers can be in position? You'd have to be a fool not to have your archers interspersed among them, ready to fall back and change weaponry likely as not, at the last minute.

The way they portrayed it, half of the Viks would have been felled by archers as the boats began to beach.

Perhaps they're trying to suggest that Rags and gang are more effective lightly encumbered, that they are like the Michael Jordans of warfare of the day, that they can deal out death so quickly, it pays for them not to be armored.

It's a bit of a stretch but I too like the show and will suspend disbelief. We know that they did prevail in many battles so oh well.
Definitely Yep...

It's not like the writers/showrunner can't stage a credible battle. Last season, the Brit kings allied and showed a reasonable strategy when they baited Horik into charging downhill with cavalry waiting on the wings out of sight. I guess it's reasonable that some leaders were morons and lost battles because of it.

I've read quite a bit of historical fiction and a couple of "real" history books about the Viking era. Tactically, Vikings were so feared in Britain, because they generally outsmarted the regional earls and kings. Rarely fighting without the element of surprise or an advantage. The Brit leaders couldn't support large units of professional soldiers. Kings might be able to gather a couple of hundred. Earls and lord might only be able to support 10-50 and they would be spread throughout their province tending their land. Larger armies were comprised of the core group of warriors and their peasant tenants. The tenants were total amateurs and basic shield wall fodder that would fold in battle...there because of obligation and for any loot that they could take. They usually died or ran.

Vikings that raided, even though they might have been farmers during the offseason, were professional pirates.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #699 of 705 Old 02-20-2015, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Excellent start and great to see all these cool characters in action again. I initially missed this series when first broadcast, but caught up by watching blu-rays of the first 2 seasons. One thing I miss now, though, are the "extended episodes" that the blu-rays offered. Just a few extra shots, deleted from the versions shown in America, with some additional gore, brief nudity, etc., but even the little things add up in a great show like this. Oh well, I'll be more than ready to re-watch when the Season 3 blu-rays come out.
post #700 of 705 Old 02-21-2015, 09:52 AM

No mention of King Horick's son, who we last saw being led out of the hall, his blood not yet drained. Perhaps we can assume they used him to located as much treasure as possible then dispatched him.
post #701 of 705 Old 02-23-2015, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Love this show. They do a lot with a tiny budget. Lagertha is as sexy as they come.
Willie_Tee and baja7475 like this.
post #702 of 705 Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM

I'm glad they didn't shy away from an accurate depiction of what deep wounds such as Torstein’s usually would lead to in that day. I was a bit surprised that Rollo healed up so well from his considerable injuries received on the battlefield last season. Not at all uncommon in the past for people to lose legs or worse from severe breaks the sort of which he received. But I'm guessing they need Rollo more than Torstein.

Speaking of Rollo, I didn't get that scene of his chopping on the (presumed) prisoners leg. As prisoners go, that group seemed lightly detained.
post #703 of 705 Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Speaking of Rollo, I didn't get that scene of his chopping on the (presumed) prisoners leg. As prisoners go, that group seemed lightly detained.
I got the impression he was stoned out of his mind, perhaps on a psychedelic drug of some kind. He gave some to Torstein and then was seen munching on it himself.
post #704 of 705 Unread Today, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I got the impression he was stoned out of his mind, perhaps on a psychedelic drug of some kind. He gave some to Torstein and then was seen munching on it himself.
Of course, that explains it. They did depict him as looking stoned. Might have been some kind of long stemmed mushrooms. I recall that bowl full of stuff they had in season 1 at spiritual retreat place, I forget what it was called.

Part of what perplexed me about the scene was the way the prisoners sat there in an obedient posture while their erstwhile captors were apparently all partying. Wound think they might have found an opportunity to escape.
post #705 of 705 Unread Today, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Lagertha is the Ronda Rousey of the Vikings' world. Beautiful and a fierce warrior. Big "Cat fight" tonight: Rousey vs. Zingano in LA. I have a strange desire to watch this one.

Last edited by archiguy; Today at 06:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page