post #721 of 747 Old 03-21-2015, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpflepsen View Post
When Siggy came up from the hole in the ice, who was the woman she saw?

It was her dead daughter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 747 Old 03-21-2015, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
It was her dead daughter.
Ah, OK.

I thought this last episode was one of, if not THE, strongest of the season.

Our snakey King Ecbert has finally played his hand.
He must be very confident he can hold off Ragnar when he comes back for revenge.
The question is will Ragnar find out about his betrayal before the Paris raid?

Does Lagertha marry her usurper to get back some of her power?
At this point, it doesn't look like she carries enough fear/respect to do it on her own...

My Seer tells me Rollo, in his grief, becomes a Beserker and will chew up some folks on the battlefield sooner rather than later.
His fate may be sealed.

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
post #723 of 747 Old 03-23-2015, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
I think a goddess or a Valkyrie.
And here I thought it was her child who died of the flu or what not.
seems i was late to the party. NM
post #724 of 747 Old 03-23-2015, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post
And here I thought it was her child who died of the flu or what not.
seems i was late to the party. NM
It was just a guess (and apparently wrong at that).

post #725 of 747 Old 03-23-2015, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 885
What I don't get is how did Siggy see Harbard there on the ice as she slowly sank to her doom, he having orchestrated her demise by luring the boys out onto the ice, when Harbard is supposed to be boinking Aslaug at the time? She could have imagined it all I guess.

As for the woman she saw, I thought that was Floki's wife. It could have been her dead daughter as suggested above, all grown up, but what clue was there for that?
post #726 of 747 Old 03-23-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
What I don't get is how did Siggy see Harbard there on the ice as she slowly sank to her doom, he having orchestrated her demise by luring the boys out onto the ice, when Harbard is supposed to be boinking Aslaug at the time? She could have imagined it all I guess.

As for the woman she saw, I thought that was Floki's wife. It could have been her dead daughter as suggested above, all grown up, but what clue was there for that?
The sex was over by the time the ice part happened.

According to on-line, it was indeed her dead daughter she saw.

post #727 of 747 Old 03-23-2015, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpflepsen View Post
When Siggy came up from the hole in the ice, who was the woman she saw?
That was her daughter who died from a plague like illness in the first season.
post #728 of 747 Old 03-23-2015, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 62
much more of an edge to this season

dark themes, mystery, betrayal

good stuff
Nayan likes this.

neflixis our nemesis
post #729 of 747 Old 03-24-2015, 05:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
The sex was over by the time the ice part happened.

According to on-line, it was indeed her dead daughter she saw.
Okay, fine, but how was the audience supposed to know any of that? The way the show was edited, it was made to appear that the boinking and the drowning were happening simultaneously, and that the reason for the drowning was the boinking. There was no hint that Siggy's vision was of her lost daughter. I doubt any of us would have arrived at that conclusion had there not been the post-show write-ups. To me, that's not good writing, and this show has made few obvious missteps so far.

There was no indication of why all three women had the same vision of Harbard before his arrival, either. This show has always had an element of mysticism with the presence of The Seer and his cryptic visions, but they seem to be doubling down on it this year with the introduction of Hargard and the mysterious death of Siggy.
Nayan likes this.
post #730 of 747 Old 03-24-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Okay, fine, but how was the audience supposed to know any of that? The way the show was edited, it was made to appear that the boinking and the drowning were happening simultaneously, and that the reason for the drowning was the boinking. There was no hint that Siggy's vision was of her lost daughter. I doubt any of us would have arrived at that conclusion had there not been the post-show write-ups. To me, that's not good writing, and this show has made few obvious missteps so far.

There was no indication of why all three women had the same vision of Harbard before his arrival, either. This show has always had an element of mysticism with the presence of The Seer and his cryptic visions, but they seem to be doubling down on it this year with the introduction of Hargard and the mysterious death of Siggy.
Arch...first, I twigged that it was a mystical experience from the get go...and it was confirmed when her daughter was waiting for the first child. Yes, I didn't recall the actress's face, but assumed that's who she was from Siggy's expression. Second, the whole Harbard storyline was based on Norse myth. You are looking for practical explanations. There aren't any. The 3 women dreamed of the Wanderer, the Seer was hanged and tied, dripping with blood (and thus no help). Harbard took Ivar's pain at the cost of the life of 2 boys and perhaps permanently (somewhat) healed Ivar with Siggy's sacrifice. While Helga and Aslaug were entralled, Siggy twigged that something wasn't right, but while saving the 2nd child she acknowledged her sacrifice after handing him to Harbard. She looked at him and knew...then let go. Harbard exits stage left and disappears. Floki explains this in the next episode. Harbard was Odin.

We viewers are not prepared to believe this, but Floki and Norse culture certainly would. The gods took on human shape and wandered through their lives, influencing events, dropping kids, perhaps changing fates. Ragnar was mentioned as a son of Odin and folks believed it. Aslaug's next child will be thought to be a son or daughter of Odin.

I think the whole storyline was a nod to the Viking belief system and will remain more or less unexplained to us...but well understood to the characters (at least the Norse). Not sloppy writing, but a deliberate slice of what it might have been like for them.

For oink...Rollo might go berserk, but from the Seer's remarks about the bear and princess and him dancing. I think wedding bells and a great future are in store in "ol Francay".

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #731 of 747 Old 03-25-2015, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:

Because they want us to believe it was possibly Odin or some mystic with real powers, etc. It is suppose to be left open for interpretation and they all had the same vision because it makes it more mysterious, was it really Odin or not.

post #732 of 747 Old 03-26-2015, 10:56 PM

Liked: 13
Powerful episode this week. I'm a big Floki fan, but I thought the Priest was pretty cool, too. As for Ragnar, he'd better "choose wisely" on many things. What a motley crew that Paris invasion fleet has become. And Bjorn would do well to stand by his Shield Maiden, IMHO. The wife and I just love this show.
post #733 of 747 Old 03-26-2015, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
This show makes me want more stories told in the worlds of distant pasts.
Nayan likes this.
post #734 of 747 Old 03-27-2015, 03:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
From the "Hot Off The Press" Thread (top of 'HDTV Programming' page).

TV Notes
History’s ‘Vikings’ Renewed for Season 4
By Seth Kelley, Variety.com - Mar. 26, 2015

History has picked up a fourth season of “Vikings,” the network announced Thursday.

The series, created and written by Michael Hirst (“The Tudors”), has been a reliable ratings performer for History with an average of 4.3 million viewers in the first five episodes of season three, according to Live +3 ratings. Production for season four will begin this spring in Ireland.

“We are so proud of our immensely talented cast and crew led by Michael Hirst, whose intriguing storylines and pivotal arcs have the perfect balance of scope, smarts and bloodshed to keep our loyal fans watching and wanting more,” said Dirk Hoogstra, executive vice president and general manager of History and H2.

Five new episodes remain in the current season, which airs Thursdays at 10 p.m. on History, with the season finale slated for April 23.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/viki...ry-1201460697/
Nayan likes this.
post #735 of 747 Old 03-27-2015, 11:06 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post
For oink...Rollo might go berserk, but from the Seer's remarks about the bear and princess and him dancing. I think wedding bells and a great future are in store in "ol Francay".
IIRC, there's a historical Rollo, probably several generations after Ragnar, who was part of a conquest in France.

I was a bit surprised at Athlestan's killing, I thought he would be one of the final four, so to speak, surviving at least until the snake pit. Who knows, if the series goes on long enough, we might see that event and Rags/Fimmel could also be retired.

It was realistic that hard core Norse religionists would wish ill on a Christian and Floki has been portrayed as among the hardest core from the beginning.

I had a feeling Rags was going to off the old farmer who brought him the bad news about the Wessex settlement. Unlikely that Floki would stay quiet about it at any rate. Hard ass people.
post #736 of 747 Old 03-27-2015, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Wow, RIP Athlestan. I guess we all knew Floki was going to off him eventually. Guess that's why they had the Athlestan clip show right afterward (or maybe right before). I haven't watched it yet, but I think I saw all the little 7 or 8 minute snippets they used to tease the upcoming season. Guess that episode just fills those out to a full hour. Anybody watched it yet?

Last edited by archiguy; 03-27-2015 at 05:25 PM.
post #737 of 747 Old 03-28-2015, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 62
just skimmed it

basically a vikings primer reliving the events of prior seasons as seen
through the eyes of our recently departed friend

an invitation to entice interested lurkers to buy into this
fascinating project

neflixis our nemesis
post #738 of 747 Old 03-28-2015, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Very strong show. We just binge watched it starting a couple of weeks ago and I thought the first couple of episodes in season 1 were good but not great. This show has gotten much stronger since the very first few episodes and the production value has gone up. My wife and I are all caught up and totally hooked.
post #739 of 747 Old 03-28-2015, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Is it really true that Paris was originally an island with the Siene flowing around it? If so I'm not familiar with the history of how that changed to the current day landscape.
post #740 of 747 Old Yesterday, 03:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kromkamp View Post
Is it really true that Paris was originally an island with the Siene flowing around it? If so I'm not familiar with the history of how that changed to the current day landscape.
Per Wikipedia article, it appears to have started as just that island, but is now considerably larger.
post #741 of 747 Old Yesterday, 11:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Arch...first, I twigged that it was a mystical experience from the get go...and it was confirmed when her daughter was waiting for the first child. Yes, I didn't recall the actress's face, but assumed that's who she was from Siggy's expression. Second, the whole Harbard storyline was based on Norse myth. You are looking for practical explanations. There aren't any. The 3 women dreamed of the Wanderer, the Seer was hanged and tied, dripping with blood (and thus no help). Harbard took Ivar's pain at the cost of the life of 2 boys and perhaps permanently (somewhat) healed Ivar with Siggy's sacrifice. While Helga and Aslaug were entralled, Siggy twigged that something wasn't right, but while saving the 2nd child she acknowledged her sacrifice after handing him to Harbard. She looked at him and knew...then let go. Harbard exits stage left and disappears. Floki explains this in the next episode. Harbard was Odin.

We viewers are not prepared to believe this, but Floki and Norse culture certainly would. The gods took on human shape and wandered through their lives, influencing events, dropping kids, perhaps changing fates. Ragnar was mentioned as a son of Odin and folks believed it. Aslaug's next child will be thought to be a son or daughter of Odin.

I think the whole storyline was a nod to the Viking belief system and will remain more or less unexplained to us...but well understood to the characters (at least the Norse). Not sloppy writing, but a deliberate slice of what it might have been like for them.
GREAT POST (and I completely agree with your analysis).

Quote:
I think wedding bells and a great future are in store in "ol Francay".
OK, which side of the North Sea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Because they want us to believe it was possibly Odin or some mystic with real powers, etc. It is suppose to be left open for interpretation and they all had the same vision because it makes it more mysterious, was it really Odin or not.
This is also a prominent line in Wagner's Ring where Wotan is constantly being naughty with his seed.

post #742 of 747 Old Today, 12:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krayg View Post
As for Ragnar, he'd better "choose wisely" on many things.
He is between a rock and a hard place right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post

I was a bit surprised at Athlestan's killing.
As was I....

Quote:
It was realistic that hard core Norse religionists would wish ill on a Christian
Agreed.
The "Northmen" were the last European Barbarians to convert.
Conversion is never easy...

Quote:
I had a feeling Rags was going to off the old farmer who brought him the bad news about the Wessex settlement.
Same here....

Quote:
Anybody watched it yet?
I tried, but it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know...

post #743 of 747 Old Today, 05:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
This is also a prominent line in Wagner's Ring where Wotan is constantly being naughty with his seed.
Don't all Gods? I mean, the job's got to have some bennies.

And having sex with a lot of women has long been considered one of those perks, not allowed by the rank & file worshipers of course: "It is good to be the King."
post #744 of 747 Old Today, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Don't all Gods? I mean, the job's got to have some bennies.

And having sex with a lot of women has long been considered one of those perks, not allowed by the rank & file worshipers of course: "It is good to be the King."
Yup, it's a mythological archetype.
Mythologies all across the globe have this storyline running thru it....even the Bible.

post #745 of 747 Old Today, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Remember, Ol' Zeus was quite was quite the prankster...appeared to Danae (Dianae???can't remember) as a golden shower. When I was a kid I assumed it was a shower of gold coins, but now I'm not so certain . Sired Perseus of Wrath of the Titans fame...killed Medusa for a bad hair day, and released the Kraken. Zeus also appeared to Leda as a swan...ravished her and she laid 4 eggs (or at least 3), Castor & Pollux, kind of semi-famous heroes and Helen of Troy...the 4th one probably got "ette". Took Europa as a bull. Those Greeks...what can I say, a tad perverse maybe?

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #746 of 747 Old Today, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Remember, Ol' Zeus was quite was quite the prankster...appeared to Danae (Dianae???can't remember) as a golden shower. When I was a kid I assumed it was a shower of gold coins, but now I'm not so certain . Sired Perseus of Wrath of the Titans fame...killed Medusa for a bad hair day, and released the Kraken. Zeus also appeared to Leda as a swan...ravished her and she laid 4 eggs (or at least 3), Castor & Pollux, kind of semi-famous heroes and Helen of Troy...the 4th one probably got "ette". Took Europa as a bull. Those Greeks...what can I say, a tad perverse maybe?
IIRC, Zeus (Odin, Jupiter, etc.) buggered just about any good-looking lass/goddess he could get his thingy into...

post #747 of 747 Old Today, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
IIRC, Zeus (Odin, Jupiter, etc.) buggered just about any good-looking lass/goddess he could get his thingy into...
Good times

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page