VIKINGS on History - Page 28 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 29Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #811 of 832 Old 04-24-2015, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MovieSwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gothenburg
Posts: 6,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
He seemed to know Floki couldn't take Paris, but allowed him to try anyway.
The results, of course, were devastating.


I don't think much of Rag's military skills...
He had no idea how strong Paris defense was. He wouldn't put himself or his family in the frontline if he know that it was doomed.

As for his military skills, I guess from a Viking standpoint he was a genius.
MovieSwede is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #812 of 832 Old 04-24-2015, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 28,736
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post


He had no idea how strong Paris defense was.
I recall several instances of close-ups of Ragnar looking extremely unsure of their endeavour after seeing the walls of Paris and Floki's cure for them.


Quote:
He wouldn't put himself or his family in the frontline if he know that it was doomed.
Logically, you're right, of course.

Quote:
As for his military skills, I guess from a Viking standpoint he was a genius.
Perhaps so, but somehow, I doubt it.
When it was obvious they couldn't get in he continued to throw bodies at it, as though hell-bent to turn fiasco into folly.

Grunts don't take kindly to a lack of success.

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
oink is offline  
post #813 of 832 Old 04-24-2015, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MovieSwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gothenburg
Posts: 6,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Since that is what really happened with the coffin not sure they could of changed it that much from history.
I guess I should thank my schools poor Viking education for not spoiling the show.
MovieSwede is online now  
post #814 of 832 Old 04-24-2015, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MovieSwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gothenburg
Posts: 6,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Perhaps so, but somehow, I doubt it.
When it was obvious they couldn't get in he continued to throw bodies at it, as though hell-bent to turn fiasco into folly.

Grunts don't take kindly to a lack of success.

The thin red line between genius and crazy.
MovieSwede is online now  
post #815 of 832 Old 04-24-2015, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 28,736
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post
I guess I should thank my schools poor Viking education for not spoiling the show.
LOL.
Seriously though....is there a Viking story/legend about infiltrating a fortified position in that manner?

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
oink is offline  
post #816 of 832 Old 04-24-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Temple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose CA
Posts: 8,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I rather liked the finale. Vikings were raiders, not soldiers and Ragnar is a warrior/king, not a great general. They learned on the fly and this was one of the early seiges. Mostly, from what I've read, Dark Age warfare wasn't all that organized. Charlemagne, grandfather to last night's Emperor Charles, won many large engagements throughout Europe, but his sons and heirs weren't much. Long story short, the Viks did win and whether by the trickery relayed by the show or some other combination strength/tricks or sleight of hand vs. French weakness, they did sack Paris.

All hail Rollo, Duke of Normandy. He wasn't Ragnar's brother. It was 100 years or more later, but he did marry the royal family, did use his Vik troops to establish his Dukedom and did protect France from other Viks. His great (great,great???) grandson conquered merry old England in 1066. Aptly named William the Conqueror, Duke of Normandy and then King of England.
Nayan likes this.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Ron Temple is offline  
post #817 of 832 Old 04-24-2015, 11:02 AM
Member
 
cmac2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
LOL.
Seriously though....is there a Viking story/legend about infiltrating a fortified position in that manner?
I may read some more on that soon, dunno, would be spoilers for upcoming seasons. I read somewhere that Bjorn pulled a stunt like that - claimed he had a deathbed conversion and wanted a Christian funeral, this is Italy I think. Part of the sailing an ocean with no waves thing perhaps. I haven't been to the Mediterranean but I'd be real surprised if there's no waves.

As soon as they mentioned Rags wanting a Christian funeral, I knew what was up. I liked the episode all in all. Fimmel really pulled the church scene off well. And I REALLY enjoyed Rollo listening to the princess's tirade and then coming forward with 'Javoo salut' (sp. of course) and a big grin.

And that bit where Sinric demurred on translating her stream of insults. Good stuff. No doubt Rollo caught the spirit of her discourse and imagined himself taming her proud behind in pagan fashion. Maybe add some shrooms to the mix.

You have to wonder how the french could expect Rollo to be their agent against Ragnar. More likely it will just add to Viking power. No doubt the land in question will be the beginning of Normandy. My first thought was that the small band of warriors would be annihilated by the home team in short order. Get enough archers surrounding their fortress and they'd pick them off.

Could be Floki's small tirade about Athleston while Rags was in the coffin removed any doubt about who killed him.
Nayan likes this.

Last edited by cmac2012; 04-24-2015 at 11:08 AM.
cmac2012 is offline  
post #818 of 832 Old 04-24-2015, 11:22 AM
Member
 
cmac2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post
All hail Rollo, Duke of Normandy. He wasn't Ragnar's brother. It was 100 years or more later, but he did marry the royal family, did use his Vik troops to establish his Dukedom and did protect France from other Viks. His great (great,great???) grandson conquered merry old England in 1066. Aptly named William the Conqueror, Duke of Normandy and then King of England.
That also makes some sense, as with way more good acreage than he could have had back home, why not protect his stronghold? And as you say, it did happen. My study on it is sparse.

I had read that Rollo came long after Ragnar. They're borrowing from known history and taking liberties with it, of course.
cmac2012 is offline  
post #819 of 832 Old 04-24-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 28,736
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
I haven't been to the Mediterranean but I'd be real surprised if there's no waves.
There are waves....although maybe not like the North Sea.

Quote:
Fimmel really pulled the church scene off well. And I REALLY enjoyed Rollo listening to the princess's tirade and then coming forward with 'Javoo salut' (sp. of course) and a big grin.

And that bit where Sinric demurred on translating her stream of insults. Good stuff. No doubt Rollo caught the spirit of her discourse
Good stuff, indeed.

Quote:
imagined himself taming her proud behind in pagan fashion. Maybe add some shrooms to the mix.
Ha!
Maybe that's it....

Quote:
You have to wonder how the french could expect Rollo to be their agent against Ragnar. More likely it will just add to Viking power. No doubt the land in question will be the beginning of Normandy.
Agreed.

Quote:
My first thought was that the small band of warriors would be annihilated by the home team in short order. Get enough archers surrounding their fortress and they'd pick them off.
I found it odd the Viks appeared to camp directly under the wall.
Easy pickings for guys sporting crossbows with iron-tipped bolts.

Quote:
Could be Floki's small tirade about Athleston while Rags was in the coffin removed any doubt about who killed him.
I don't recall exactly what he said...

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
oink is offline  
post #820 of 832 Old 04-24-2015, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
LOL.
Seriously though....is there a Viking story/legend about infiltrating a fortified position in that manner?
Yes, that is how someone (won't spoil anything) did it to take a city from within.

WilliamR is offline  
post #821 of 832 Old 04-24-2015, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 28,736
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Yes, that is how someone (won't spoil anything) did it to take a city from within.
I guess the French didn't pay much attention to their Homer....

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
oink is offline  
post #822 of 832 Old 04-24-2015, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
billybobg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Francis Utah
Posts: 747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
I guess the French didn't pay much attention to their Homer....
"Doh!!!"
billybobg is offline  
post #823 of 832 Old Yesterday, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MovieSwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gothenburg
Posts: 6,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
I guess the French didn't pay much attention to their Homer....
Even worse, they assumed their enemy didn't.
MovieSwede is online now  
post #824 of 832 Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 28,736
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post
"Doh!!!"
Nice one, Sir.



Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post
Even worse, they assumed their enemy didn't.
True.

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
oink is offline  
post #825 of 832 Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,867
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 912
You'd think Rags would have told Floki & Rollo as well as Bjorn. After all, Floki had to build the boat-coffin and there had to be airholes or at the very least, a loose-fitting lid. Floki could have made that sucker more airtight and it could have finished Rags off for good. And Rollo needed to know because, you know... bros, man. And Lagurtha -- his Shield Madien. She should have been in on it too. And, of course, his key warriors who would be leading the charge. They needed to be prepared to fight, raid, & plunder, not attend a funeral.

Heck, he should have just told everybody. I would have. Because I'm cool like that.

Of course, now Rollo is apparently going to betray Rags for a second time. Loved his mischievous grin at the end after his future bride had eviscerated him in "Franco".
archiguy is offline  
post #826 of 832 Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 28,736
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
You'd think Rags would have told Floki & Rollo as well as Bjorn. After all, Floki had to build the boat-coffin and there had to be airholes or at the very least, a loose-fitting lid. Floki could have made that sucker more airtight and it could have finished Rags off for good. And Rollo needed to know because, you know... bros, man. And Lagurtha -- his Shield Madien. She should have been in on it too. And, of course, his key warriors who would be leading the charge. They needed to be prepared to fight, raid, & plunder, not attend a funeral.

Heck, he should have just told everybody. I would have. Because I'm cool like that.
First of all..."cool," you're not (I gotta be honest here).
Secondly, if Rags had done that then the viewers at home wouldn't have been surprised with his jack-in-the-box trick.
Hey, good TV was important even back then....



Quote:
Of course, now Rollo is apparently going to betray Rags for a second time.
I hope not, it would be quite a cop-out by the writers.
Nayan likes this.

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
oink is offline  
post #827 of 832 Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
tezster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Posts: 855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 117
So, the French were just monumentally tricked, resulting in Paris being sacked. What do they do in response? Immediately employ the same tactic and bribe another Viking? Stupid much?
tezster is offline  
post #828 of 832 Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM
Member
 
cmac2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
You'd think Rags would have told Floki & Rollo as well as Bjorn. After all, Floki had to build the boat-coffin and there had to be airholes or at the very least, a loose-fitting lid. Floki could have made that sucker more airtight and it could have finished Rags off for good. And Rollo needed to know because, you know... bros, man. And Lagurtha -- his Shield Madien. She should have been in on it too. And, of course, his key warriors who would be leading the charge. They needed to be prepared to fight, raid, & plunder, not attend a funeral.

Heck, he should have just told everybody. I would have. Because I'm cool like that.

Of course, now Rollo is apparently going to betray Rags for a second time. Loved his mischievous grin at the end after his future bride had eviscerated him in "Franco".
With everyone believing that Rags had actually died, it made for a more believable scenario for the French. Everybody acted the part w/o trying. I susect that Bjorn made certain their were airholes. And that the pall bearers were in on the scheme. Could be Bjorn and those guys kept guard around the tent while Rags came out to emtpy his bowels and move about in the day or two leading up to the event. I think I noticed Rollo doing a slight nod to Rags and he returning it when he walked by him slumped in Bjorn's arms - sort of a 'well played' acknowledgment.

I agree that intrigue with Rollo has been put into the mix again. In some ways, it's not as personal a potential betrayal as with Jarl Borg as Borg was going to actively try to kill and usurp Rags and Horrick.

Those days had an element to life that is long gone these days. No way could Rollo pick up the phone and bounce the idea off of Rags.

I predict that Rollo and Rags will come to an agreement, that Rags and gang can use a remote part of Normandy as a staging ground for raids elsewhere. Not sure this is backed up by history however.
cmac2012 is offline  
post #829 of 832 Old Today, 12:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 28,736
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
So, the French were just monumentally tricked, resulting in Paris being sacked. What do they do in response? Immediately employ the same tactic and bribe another Viking? Stupid much?
Well, just so you know...the French King went down in history as King Numbnuts.



Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
I predict that Rollo and Rags will come to an agreement, that Rags and gang can use a remote part of Normandy as a staging ground for raids elsewhere. Not sure this is backed up by history however.
I leaning that way too....

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
oink is offline  
post #830 of 832 Old Today, 02:15 AM
Member
 
cmac2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
I found it odd the Viks appeared to camp directly under the wall.
Easy pickings for guys sporting crossbows with iron-tipped bolts.

I don't recall exactly what he said...
No, I think they're camping maybe a quarter to half mile away, in the spot where Rollo makes those longing looks at the spires in the distance. Those crude shelters just outside the gate are likely for a flea market sort of commerce for those who come and go.

Floki said approx: 'So, I built the boat that brought you fame and now I've built the boat that will take you to your heaven.' And then sarcastically: 'Give my regards to Athlestan by the way. You betrayed us. You betrayed your heritage. You betrayed me. I loved you more than anyone. I loved you more than that priest ever loved you. But you always thought, it's just Floki, he's just a fool.'

Basically a bunch of jilted sweetheart rambling. And who knows, maybe Helga told Rags as she didn't want the burden of being the only one who knew.

One thing that was a bit odd about the coffin scenes was the fact that Rags would have needed to refrain from coughing and he was just recently making a good racket in that regard.
cmac2012 is offline  
post #831 of 832 Unread Today, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MovieSwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gothenburg
Posts: 6,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
You'd think Rags would have told Floki & Rollo as well as Bjorn. After all, Floki had to build the boat-coffin and there had to be airholes or at the very least, a loose-fitting lid. Floki could have made that sucker more airtight and it could have finished Rags off for good.
Ragnar had of course backup plan in case coffin was airtight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	medium.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	686713  
MovieSwede is online now  
post #832 of 832 Unread Today, 05:40 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
the church they will raid. this event is considered the start date of the viking age.
ojiangenp is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off