"The Jeselnik Offensive" on Comedy Central - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 02-19-2013, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hmm.  Usually I like Anthony Jeselnik's standup, and the jokes were generally good enough, but it got strained.  The audience was instructed to applaud after each joke of the opening monologue, and that backfired, but (with one exception I'll mention below) it improved from there.

I'm hoping for denser comedy in future episodes (or second best, more commercials so that the pauses between jokes can be edited down) and for "Latino Voices" to be a one-shot that won't be revisited every week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-20-2013, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love his standup. I really appreciate the offensive nature. I liked the show. I thought there were definitely some awkward moments, but that is to be expected.
I am optimistic that it will improve. I will certainly watch it as long as it is on.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-01-2013, 07:18 PM

Liked: 10
For a new show, it's not that bad. He's basically right in that it's like Chelsea Lately...... The pauses between jokes seemed a bit forced, but he played it off well enough.

When I saw the first episode, I just thought.... "let's get this over with"..... but then when the panel came on, it got better. Still it's a formula that Wanda Sykes used to use and I'm assuming many others did too.

What the show needs is to find its niche or it's own style that isn't formulaic and predictable. My guess is that it will grow into its own by the second season. I mean, even Tosh.0 wasn't nearly as funny when it first started as it is now. Shows just get better when they see what people like or don't like.

I think it's got potential and as long as it's on Hulu+, I'll watch it.
post #4 of 21 Old 03-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I like his standup and I liked the first show. But the 2nd was kind of flat. I don't think he needs such a long monologue.

The show highlights at the end are some of the best bits. Although I don't think he should make them any longer.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #5 of 21 Old 03-06-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

#3 was an improvement over #2 in my opinion.  My original complaint about the applause for individual jokes in the monologue is of course obsolete now: there were only a few jokes with applause pauses in episode #2's monologue and the only one last night was the very deserving Ron Jeremy joke in the monologue's encore (and the monologue's having an encore was itself funny, as long as it's not rehashed every week).

That was the funniest moment of the episode for me, and Kristen Schaal's defense of her tweet was the second.  Also, I agree with Yrd that the closing highlights are a good feature.

The show is finding its footing and I hope we'll see more seasons of it.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-06-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I think this show is flopping. I'm trying to give it a chance, but while watching it, all I hear in my brain is, "...make it stop...make it stop..."

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #7 of 21 Old 03-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I like the guy's standup, but I don't think this show is working. I'm still going to watch. Kristen was a surprise to me, better guest than I expected. She seemed pretty good in this environment. She had a really good joke, that I can't even remember now, after deleting the recording.

I think he would be better just bashing these news bits by himself. I wonder if it's comedy central pushing these shows to have guests. I'm going to guess whatever Amy Schumer's new show is will have guests too.

I only just started watching the Jeff Ross show in the last 5 or so episodes of the last season. That's a great show and wish it was an hour. It's similar, but Jeff's show is much better.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #8 of 21 Old 03-06-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Really like his standup as well, but the first one was embarrassingly bad. A chore just to finish.

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
post #9 of 21 Old 03-17-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The March 12 opening monologue had the applause after each joke back, but it was edited so as not to break the rhythm.  I can live with that.

Funniest moment IMO: Doug Benson's admission of having already been high on the trip to the studio.
post #10 of 21 Old 03-20-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 62
This show's decent enough.

Of Comedy Central's newest programming, I find "Nathan for You" to be the most entertaining by far. Check it out if you haven't already.
post #11 of 21 Old 03-20-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

This show's decent enough.

Of Comedy Central's newest programming, I find "Nathan for You" to be the most entertaining by far. Check it out if you haven't already.

Personally, I much prefer "The Ben Show" over "Nathan for You".
post #12 of 21 Old 03-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I made it through about 5 minutes of the first show's monologue, that was enough for me. He's good once every year for a roast.
post #13 of 21 Old 03-20-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This week the monologue was edited well, but the panel didn't work out.  Neither Kindler nor Gelman seemed funny at all, especially Kindler; either they were not hitting it, or they were toning it down to make Jeselnik look better in comparison and get most of the laughs.  It felt as if they had to improvise, while he had his lines prepared in advance (perhaps by his own hand, to be fair).
post #14 of 21 Old 03-20-2013, 09:10 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I thought they were both funny, not amazing, but they weren't flat like Patton Oswalt (used to be one of my favorite comics, but have been drifting away from him lately) and whatever the other guest was on his night. All of their jokes seems forced that day. Andy Kindler is apparently a big name in comedy, I have no idea why because he's very mediocre, or just not my type of comedy. I actually liked Gelman, never heard of him though.

Doug Benson is pretty damn clever, and quit witted for a dopey pot head. I don't watch comedy central that much, just Tosh on dvr and this and Jeff Ross' show. But Doug apparently had a show on there called the interruption, which was really good. It's too bad they edit the thing to smithereens. The podcast version is much better.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #15 of 21 Old 07-07-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Season 2 premieres July 11 at 10:30 ET/PT.

I'll be watching at 9:30 just to stir up trouble.
post #16 of 21 Old 08-08-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There was a third outing of "Latino Voices" this week, and it even had an opening graphic, so it seems to be around to stay.  At least they kept it short.

OK, so the show is supposed to walk the line of being offensive, but it's also supposed to be funny.  "Latino Voices" started out weak and gets worse with every repetition.

Yes, the Mexican-American population of the southwestern US have a characteristic lilt when they speak English, even those with USA accents.  But pointing that out was good for one joke at the most and isn't funny enough to sustain all these reuses.
post #17 of 21 Old 08-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

You could tell Dave wasn't really onboard for that latino voices bit either.

The last episode highlights had one of the funniest bits. The big grape stomping barrel. Doug Benson and the other guy, don't remember who it was, were stomping. Anthony said his joke and Doug had one more stomp with this sh*t eating grin on. It makes me laugh every time I think about it.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #18 of 21 Old 08-09-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

You could tell Dave wasn't really onboard for that latino voices bit either.
So far the only person who's done the intonations at all well IMO is Jason Mantzoukas.
Quote:
Doug Benson and the other guy, don't remember who it was ...
Doug Benson's been on twice, once with Brian Posehn and once with Rob Huebel.  I don't remember that bit at all, so I can't say which of them did it with him.
post #19 of 21 Old 08-09-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I find his standup just okay, but the show has been funnier than I expected. Its funniness greatly depends on whether the two guests get his style of humor. They should also kill regular segments when the material isn't that funny, like the defend-your-tweet bit.

The show has certainly been funnier than most of Comedy Central's recent attempts at launching a standup comic into television.
post #20 of 21 Old 08-09-2013, 11:14 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

So far the only person who's done the intonations at all well IMO is Jason Mantzoukas.
Doug Benson's been on twice, once with Brian Posehn and once with Rob Huebel.  I don't remember that bit at all, so I can't say which of them did it with him.

Jason always has roles of some type of ethnicity, so he has experience.

It was Rob, it was the show before last. The highlights at the end.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #21 of 21 Old 08-14-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Was TJ Miller's mask on last night's show really supposed to be a likeness of Anthony Jeselnik?  It looked more like Adam Devine from "Workaholics" (which has had the same time slot).
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page