post #361 of 405 Old 05-24-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

The wife and I turned off the DVR when the images of the sky and credits started...did we miss them showing Hannibal on a plane?

You missed Gillain and Hannibal on the plane together. Never ever ever ever shut it down until you are sure it's over wink.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 405 Old 05-24-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 405
I can't decide what to think of the season finale. Having Will, Jack, and Alana all at death's door as the show ended was dramatic indeed but came perilously close to shark jumping. So what though? Hannibal is a Big 4 network show so what else should I have expected? I did love seeing Hannibal, now cleaned up and well dressed again sitting in first class on, I assume, some sort of international flight, accompanied by of all people, Dr. Du Maurier (Gillian Anderson). I liked that because Anderson has invested Dr. Du Maurier with a certain chilly untrustworthiness, which fits well with her decision to hook up with Hannibal.

Where did Abigail come from? I could have sworn she was shown rather definitively to have died in an earlier episode. Obviously I missed something, or, as another poster suggested, the whole blood bath in Hannibal's house was a dream. With this show, one never knows?

Despite its not infrequent over the top storytelling, Hannibal is so stylish and brilliantly acted, I forgive it. I'll be there with bated breath when Season 3 begins.
post #363 of 405 Old 05-24-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't believe Abigail was ever shown dead. They produced a body part (finger?) and that was it. That as well as dr DuMaurier seemed to be part of a greater overall plan by Hannibal. Pieces to use if he should ever need them, which he did.

post #364 of 405 Old 05-25-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I don't believe Abigail was ever shown dead. They produced a body part (finger?) and that was it. That as well as dr DuMaurier seemed to be part of a greater overall plan by Hannibal. Pieces to use if he should ever need them, which he did.

This time it appears that Abigail is as dead as the Wicked Witches of Oz, unless she can survive a severed carotid artery.

Recently read a very interesting Grantland piece about Hannibal. The author enjoys the show's unique weirdness as much as I do. Here's the money quote:
Quote:
We still know where it’s going, but at this point it’s impossible to tell how it’s going to get there, and how often can you say that about a reboot? Hannibal’s been on rails from the beginning, but it feels more like a runaway train than ever. As Mason Verger put it last week, “I am enchanted and terrified.” Then he cut half his face off with a knife and fed it to Will’s dogs. This show!
Read the whole thing. If you like the show, you'll be glad you did.
post #365 of 405 Old 05-25-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Pretty amazing finale all around. smile.gifeek.gif

Knowing what was coming, and watching how the tension built and built, with Hannibal and Will both recognizing they're walking down a road from which they can never return. How calmly they discussed the coming conflagration, in the kind of exquisite verbal code this show does do well. When Hannibal tells Alana to either leave or he's going to kill her, it was so jarring and shocking because that was the first time he'd ever actually said it.

Technically, the director and editor were on the top of their game. So many gorgeous visuals. A drop of bloody water is seen to fall all the way down to below the surface. The slightly sped-up action sequences as Hannibal repeatedly throws himself against the pantry door in a blind fury we have never seen from him. In other words, business as usual from the tech side.

Four bleeding bodies left behind as Hannibal calmly walks into, presumably, a new life with the beautiful (and more enigmatic than we could have possibly guessed) Bedelia du Maurier. Was this all planned, by them, together? Or was it a Hail Mary, last minute bugout in case things went south and she joined him on a whim?

Who's going to survive? So glad we get another season! Or should I say, Merci beaucoup! Viva la France!
post #366 of 405 Old 05-25-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Absolutely an astonishing season finale and doing away with many conventions of a broadcast network series. But do we know that Jack is actually dead? The last shot was of him using his tie to block the blood flow. And Alana called the police as she entered the house so they may arrive in time to save Jack.
post #367 of 405 Old 05-25-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
No one stays dead on this show, pretty weak!
post #368 of 405 Old 05-25-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 52
That was intense. But I don't like how Hannibal walked away from four dying people without making sure at least some of them were dead. I mean he was throwing himself against the pantry door, then just walked away? He could've torched the whole place. The only person I see Hannibal possibly sparing is Will.
post #369 of 405 Old 05-25-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Torching a place has never been Hannibals style. He'd much rather have them bleed out slowly. Is there a chance they could survive? Sure, but the odds are against them.

post #370 of 405 Old 05-25-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Great finale, glad I didn't shut it off and waited for the credits to finish so we could see the extra scene. Was not expecting her to be there with him.

post #371 of 405 Old 05-25-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Show's been hit and miss for myself, but did catch and enjoyed the finale; looking forward to its return..

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #372 of 405 Old 05-25-2014, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

And Alana called the police as she entered the house so they may arrive in time to save Jack.

She called the cops and Will called for the paramedics when he arrived and found her out front. If you paid attention, you could see the flashing lights on the scenery pulling up as Hannibal turned to walk down the sidewalk.

Jack and Will will survive to continue "the hunt", but Abigail is a goner.
post #373 of 405 Old 05-26-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Yeah poor Abigail, I don't think she'll survive a SECOND time her carotid being slashed, her neck certainly has a magnet for knives, this time there wasn't anybody tending her wound and she'll bleed off fast.

I don't know what Bedelia is doing, was she on the whole thing?

I was also kind of expecting that Freddie would also go to Hannibal's house and get killed/wounded since the whole gang decided to.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #374 of 405 Old 05-26-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I was also kind of expecting that Freddie would also go to Hannibal's house and get killed/wounded since the whole gang decided to.

Freddie is already dead. Hannibal killed her but Will imagined he did. When we saw her in this last episode, it was in a dream.
post #375 of 405 Old 05-26-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Freddie is already dead. Hannibal killed her but Will imagined he did. When we saw her in this last episode, it was in a dream.
Wait, what? I think you may be in a dream state. When did Hannibal kill Freddie? He discovered she was still alive when he smelled her on Will's hair, but I don't remember any scene after that moment in which she actually dies. Unless I'm really lost, Freddie Lounds is still among the living.
post #376 of 405 Old 05-26-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Wait, what? I think you may be in a dream state. When did Hannibal kill Freddie? He discovered she was still alive when he smelled her on Will's hair, but I don't remember any scene after that moment in which she actually dies. Unless I'm really lost, Freddie Lounds is still among the living.

I thought Hannibal killed Freddie the same way Will imagined he killed her. Drug her out of her car and did the dirty deed. Surely, she would have been on Hannibal's "naughty" list, since she suspected him. And he's nothing if not thorough in terms of dealing with those who suspect him (I don't believe he wouldn't have "called on" Alana either, even if she had left when he told her to). If Freddie's still alive, I'm turning in my "Fannibal" card in shame. redface.gif
post #377 of 405 Old 05-26-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I thought Hannibal killed Freddie the same way Will imagined he killed her. Drug her out of her car and did the dirty deed. Surely, she would have been on Hannibal's "naughty" list, since she suspected him. And he's nothing if not thorough in terms of dealing with those who suspect him (I don't believe he wouldn't have "called on" Alana either, even if she had left when he told her to). If Freddie's still alive, I'm turning in my "Fannibal" card in shame. redface.gif
Do you remember when Jack took Alana to see Freddie in that holding cell like area at the FBI shop? When Will and Freddie talked about Will not being sure if he would make it out alive they were in that same place. Freddie is still alive. Will has been playing Hannibal the whole time, at least from the point he got well from the illness that was hid from him by Hannibal. When Will and Jack talked about Will being a great fisherman Jack has been in on the con as well.

Pretty sure this was talked about a few episodes back, WAKE UP, YOU"RE HAVING A DREAM! biggrin.giftongue.gif
Brian Conrad and gwsat like this.
post #378 of 405 Old 05-26-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

If Hannibal killed Freddie in the interval you mentioned that makes sense a bit, since Hannibal just smelled Freddie and could smell her on Will.

I wouldn't also be surprised Hannibal planned his escape with Bedelia, including a clean suit, makeup for wounds and the ride to the airport ready to leave before the FBI (dumb) locked down the airports.

post #379 of 405 Old 05-26-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you remember when Jack took Alana to see Freddie in that holding cell like area at the FBI shop? When Will and Freddie talked about Will not being sure if he would make it out alive they were in that same place. Freddie is still alive. Will has been playing Hannibal the whole time, at least from the point he got well from the illness that was hid from him by Hannibal. When Will and Jack talked about Will being a great fisherman Jack has been in on the con as well.

Pretty sure this was talked about a few episodes back, WAKE UP, YOU"RE HAVING A DREAM! biggrin.giftongue.gif
Plus in this week's "previously" we have Freddie asking "how was my funeral?"
post #380 of 405 Old 05-26-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, stuff my ziti. confused.gif I'm going to have to do a re-watch (saved the last two). What then was the point of Will imagining Freddie's death if she's not, you know, dead? It's not like Hannibal could read his thoughts or dreams.

This is a series that could do with a binge-re-watch someday. I don't own a lot of boxset BD's, but I'll own this one. Heck, judging from how much I've apparently missed, it will be like seeing it for the first time! tongue.gif
post #381 of 405 Old 05-26-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I agree. I've never doubted that Freddie was really alive and her feigned death was part of Will and Jack's scam or Hannibal.
Keenan likes this.
post #382 of 405 Old 05-27-2014, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Torching a place has never been Hannibals style. He'd much rather have them bleed out slowly. Is there a chance they could survive? Sure, but the odds are against them.

Not to mention our getting to see this "rebooted" story play out the bit regarding Hannibal leaving Will gutted & left to die, as was described in RED DRAGON (book & movie).

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #383 of 405 Old 05-27-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Are we sure this story is a reboot? Will Graham appears in Red Dragon, and Jack Crawford both in that movie and Silence of the Lambs. In both, Hannibal Lector is an imprisoned madman.

Is there anything in Season 1 or 2 inconsistent with that future story arc? Hannibal is a fugitive at the end of Season 2, and obviously must get captured and imprisoned in the mental hospital at some future time. That leaves a wide spectrum of possibilities for 3-4 more seasons of the series. It seems to me that both Will and Jack will survive, but with psychic scars and an aversion to seeing any more of Hannibal.

In fact the series and all the movies save one appear to be a consistent story arc, unless I am missing something obvious. The exception is Hannibal Rising, which because it shows the origin of Hannibal the Cannibal during WW2, is an anomaly, as the movies and series all have late 20th/early 21st century settings.

As an aside, Mads Mikkelsen appears in Unit 1, the subtitled English version of the Danish series Rejseholdet (Mobile Unit). He plays flawed and emotional detective Allan Fischer, the "bad boy" of the elite national police unit. The series is broadcast by Mhz Worldview, and I see it on a subchannel of SF Bay Area PBS station KCSM. The series injects reality from headlines in the same fashion that Law and Order did from time to time. Mikkelsen is very good in a very different role, and if you wondered about the bare trace of an accent you sometimes detect, it is Danish.

In the Thomas Harris books, Hannibal is of Lithuanian ancestry, part of an aristocratic family destroyed when the Germans invade during WW2. He is taken in by an uncle who resides in France with a Japanese wife after the war. He studies medicine in France and takes his revenge upon those who killed his family.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #384 of 405 Old 05-27-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

Are we sure this story is a reboot? Will Graham appears in Red Dragon, and Jack Crawford both in that movie and Silence of the Lambs. In both, Hannibal Lector is an imprisoned madman.

Is there anything in Season 1 or 2 inconsistent with that future story arc? Hannibal is a fugitive at the end of Season 2, and obviously must get captured and imprisoned in the mental hospital at some future time. That leaves a wide spectrum of possibilities for 3-4 more seasons of the series. It seems to me that both Will and Jack will survive, but with psychic scars and an aversion to seeing any more of Hannibal.

In fact the series and all the movies save one appear to be a consistent story arc, unless I am missing something obvious. The exception is Hannibal Rising, which because it shows the origin of Hannibal the Cannibal during WW2, is an anomaly, as the movies and series all have late 20th/early 21st century settings.

You are right about Hannibal already being incarcerated when Harris' Red Dragon starts. We are told that Will Graham had been responsible for Hannibal's capture but that Hannibal nearly killed Will. The TV show is sort of a funhouse mirror reflection of Red Dragon. Although many of the characters have similar traits to those we met in Red Dragon there are some fascinating differences too. I also agree that the stage has been effectively set for the writers to tell more of Harris' fascinating saga next season.

I agree that the show is unlikely to reprise Hannibal Rising. Not only is the story a prequel to Red Dragon, The Silence of the Lambs, and Hannibal, it is also a bad book.
post #385 of 405 Old 05-28-2014, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

If we mirror Red Dragon a bit, Hannibal also guts Will, I thought for a second Graham will use his GUN on his HAND and shot Hannibal 2 or 3 times but not kill him, but that didn't happen.. mmm

post #386 of 405 Old 05-28-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Per the producers They want to do Red Dragon in season 3.

post #387 of 405 Old 05-28-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 129
This is IMO without a doubt the best show on TV as I don't consider the BBC Sherlock a show, rather more a mini series. Even then, I have Hannibal and Sherlock equal. Aside from Game of Thrones, I have yet to see a current show that is even in the same solar system as Hannibal though I haven't yet watched Fargo which seems to be well received. Mad Men became nothing but personal life soap opera drama many seasons ago and House of Cards is incredibly mediocre. That Hannibal is only just a regular network show makes its greatness even more impressive although it also helps since they can't rely on dropping f bombs everywhere and showing explicit humping scenes and nudity to get cheap interest. This show simply gets down to business and that is how shows should be.

I felt the finale was probably the best episode of any show I have ever watched and it was practically perfect. I don't think there was any "shark jumping" and nothing made me think "oh come on" as I watched it. The ending was great as Hannibal has clearly shown you can't mess with him and come out unscathed. I fully expect Will and Jack to survive given the content is based/inspired on the novels and I'm hoping Alana is dead. Seems a given Abigail is done. As for Du Maurier, I am very curious to see where that goes. Is she "evil" or is she just playing along to try and catch Hannibal...we'll see. She always gave me that "evil" vibe from the moment she showed up so I am hoping she is indeed with Hannibal and this isn't just some plan to catch him.

Hopefully season 3 will keep up the incredible writing and production value of this show.

Unless people are turned off by murder/death and horror, I have no idea how anyone can not like this show. Maybe it's too intelligent and thought provoking for many who don't care for it.

ROB
post #388 of 405 Old 05-28-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 52
If they are doing Red Dragon for season 3, won't Hannibal have to be in jail first? (I did not see the movie or read the book, but I did see Manhunter, and Hannibal was already in jail there.) Maybe the first half will be catching Hannibal, and the second the other big bad.
post #389 of 405 Old 05-28-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

If they are doing Red Dragon for season 3, won't Hannibal have to be in jail first? (I did not see the movie or read the book, but I did see Manhunter, and Hannibal was already in jail there.) Maybe the first half will be catching Hannibal, and the second the other big bad.

That's what I was thinking. He's very much on the loose after this season, probably headed to Europe with Du Maurier. They've got to catch him, which will take at least part of the next season I should think. Unless they skip over his hunt and capture and just open with him in prison.
post #390 of 405 Old 05-28-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Though not quite on par with "Hannibal" folks might want to check out the season of "Those Who Kill" on Lifetime. It started out on A&E but was moved to Lifetime for some reason, probably low ratings. It's dark like "Hannibal" and based on the Danish series "Dem Som Draeber," It stars Chloe Sevigny.
Keenan likes this.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page