Hannibal on NBC - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 33Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 569 Old 07-14-2015, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 15,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
takes effect this week from what I hear...your DVR Guide provider might not have the updated info yet...either way make sure to manually change the recording date

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...turdays-808421
I use the guide on my TiVo, which has heretofore reliably changed nights and times for continuing series. It continues to show Hannibal on Thursday night. I also checked the program listings on the NBC site. You will note that it too indicates that the show will continue to be aired on Thursday, so who knows what the facts of the matter are? Maybe the change will occur next week.
gwsat is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 569 Old 07-14-2015, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 19,312
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 1125
When these things are announced, unless they specify the date it's going to occur, it typically happens quickly. Our guides may not show the info until the day the change is made. The good news is that most DVR's that allow season passes (which is likely all of 'em) will "see" the show and record it whenever it shows up on the network schedule. Computers are good at stuff like that.
archiguy is offline  
post #543 of 569 Old 07-14-2015, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 15,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
When these things are announced, unless they specify the date it's going to occur, it typically happens quickly. Our guides may not show the info until the day the change is made. The good news is that most DVR's that allow season passes (which is likely all of 'em) will "see" the show and record it whenever it shows up on the network schedule. Computers are good at stuff like that.
The article in the link that TitusTroy provided states that both Hannibal and Aquarius are being moved to Saturday. Nevertheless, NBC's own programming guide, to which I provided a link in my last post, shows both shows being aired this Thursday. Because that's only two days away, I don't know what to think. Either NBC is glacially slow at updating their program guide or Hannibal really will be shown this Thursday. At least we don't have long to wait to find out.
gwsat is online now  
post #544 of 569 Old 07-14-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I use the guide on my TiVo, which has heretofore reliably changed nights and times for continuing series. It continues to show Hannibal on Thursday night. I also checked the program listings on the NBC site. You will note that it too indicates that the show will continue to be aired on Thursday, so who knows what the facts of the matter are? Maybe the change will occur next week.

my FiOS guide shows the updated listings for both Aquarius and Hannibal for this Saturday...Thursday now shows a Dateline episode...so it definitely takes effect this week
TitusTroy is offline  
post #545 of 569 Old 07-14-2015, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
shivaji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have a few nitpicks with the writing of the last episode on what I think is the best show on television, right now. First, When Will came upon Hannibal sketching the painting and they then decided to leave, was that to go somewhere and fight to the death or something else? Then Will pulls out a knife, to do what, kill him right in the open courtyard in the bright light of day, doesn't seem smart nor does that seem like the brightest way to come at Hannibal. Then the chick just happens to be on the roof with a scope, why would anyone think murder was coming for Hannibal right then. A bit contrived, I think. Then Morpheus comes with his pistol, walking into Hannibal's lair where he knows the most dangerous man alive is more than likely waiting for him. You don't fight Hannibal like that, not on his terms, when he has time to prepare. And of course Hannibal knows he's coming and is just lying under the table in wait, I wonder how long he was waiting. He then cuts his achilles and somehow that is the end of the fight and we next see him tied to a chair. They are both on the floor, in reality a fight of some kind would ensue. Morpheus is a tough Bastard and He is not afraid!
Like everyone else I guess, I'm sure brains are tasty, but the sheer amount of effort and mess to get to them just seems like too much for too little even for one with a refined palate, like our Hannibal. Why cant he just serve some nice Kobi beef steaks, precut, salted and waiting to be seared, 4 minutes a side. Dinner time. My nits are over, I guess. I tried to put this in spoilers but it didn't work.

Last edited by shivaji; 07-14-2015 at 08:49 PM.
shivaji is online now  
post #546 of 569 Old 07-14-2015, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 15,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
my FiOS guide shows the updated listings for both Aquarius and Hannibal for this Saturday...Thursday now shows a Dateline episode...so it definitely takes effect this week
When you're right you're right. The TiVo guide, which is provided by Tribune Media Services, finally got with the program after the latest download, at 6:55 PM CDT, and now shows that Hannibal has been moved to Saturday. It took a while but they finally got it right, thank God!
gwsat is online now  
post #547 of 569 Old 07-14-2015, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
barth2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 299
@shivaji : this show has slipped the surly bonds of logic a while ago. There is no point in thinking. Just go with it. It'll be over soon anyway
barth2k is offline  
post #548 of 569 Old 07-15-2015, 04:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 19,312
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
@shivaji : this show has slipped the surly bonds of logic a while ago. There is no point in thinking. Just go with it. It'll be over soon anyway
With 'Hannibal', it's all about the journey since we've always known the destination. And the journey is at once beautiful and erotic, dangerous and disturbing. It's why we watch.

Such a shame so few appreciated the fine art to which this show aspires. It's fitting that the first half of this final season plays out in Florence, the capital of the Renaissance, the place in which Hannibal feels most at home.
archiguy is offline  
post #549 of 569 Old 07-15-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 15,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 751
I have really enjoyed Gillian Anderson's performances as the chilly, amoral, Dr. Bedelia Du Maurier. Anderson is the ice queen from central casting and a perfect foil for the equally cold and amoral Hannibal. I have also loved Anderson in The Fall and can hardly wait for its new season.
gwsat is online now  
post #550 of 569 Old 07-16-2015, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PiratesCove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 4,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 140
So they are giving ol' Hannibal the Axe (all puns intended)....


And moved to Sat.?...Bloody crazy (British accent)....
PiratesCove is offline  
post #551 of 569 Old 07-17-2015, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
IAM4UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: United States
Posts: 6,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I just watched "Digestivo." As far as this show has pushed the bounds of network television content before, this episode goes far beyond that. Were it a movie, the MPAA would debate if this episode should be only rated "R" or if it must be "NC17."
As usual, though, however perverse and deranged and disturbing and sick, the production is beautiful and the storytelling is intriguing. These are some seriously fouled-up characters.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
IAM4UK is offline  
post #552 of 569 Old 07-19-2015, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
film113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post
I just watched "Digestivo." As far as this show has pushed the bounds of network television content before, this episode goes far beyond that. Were it a movie, the MPAA would debate if this episode should be only rated "R" or if it must be "NC17."
As usual, though, however perverse and deranged and disturbing and sick, the production is beautiful and the storytelling is intriguing. These are some seriously fouled-up characters.
And last night's boundary-pushing episode was probably the most twisted one yet! Next week, Red Dragon starts.
film113 is offline  
post #553 of 569 Old 07-19-2015, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 15,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 751
I have loved Hannibal from the git go. It is highly imaginative but still incredibly faithful to the characters Thomas Harris created in his Hannibal novels. I will really, really miss it.
gwsat is online now  
post #554 of 569 Old 07-19-2015, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
barth2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Wow was that the best episode of Hannibal ever? This season's, certainly.

I'm glad they didn't follow the book's script and resolved Mason's death and Hannibal's capture their own (and more fitting) way. Terrific.

I think NBC standards and practices just said f### it no one is watching anyway.

Whatever else you want to say about Cheyoh, she makes one sexy sharp shooter
Ph8te likes this.
barth2k is offline  
post #555 of 569 Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DrLar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Yeah, I like the twist they made from the novel/movie, Mason's got his just desserts, bam! the look on "his" face when looking in the mirror after the "surgery"..

Just a QQ, the "baby in pig" was dead already, right? anyways is that even possible?

Yeah Chiyo (sp) can snipe me anytime..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
DrLar is offline  
post #556 of 569 Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
barth2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
Just a QQ, the "baby in pig" was dead already, right? anyways is that even possible?
It's possible to TRY, if you're a crazy sadist with zero ethics to give. It's not possible to succeed. I would think a pig and human are too far apart genetically for cross species gestation. Fortunately for our sanity, they probably wouldn't even be able to get the fertilized egg to implant. If they did, the fetus would be malformed and not be viable for long. It's strictly the stuff of nightmare.

Nurse Cordell is apparently a three star chef, an accomplished plastic surgeon, veterinarian, and a fertility and natal specialist. I think he has Hannibal beat
barth2k is offline  
post #557 of 569 Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DrLar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Haha, not only 3 star chef, but a human flesh chef.. he prepared those tasty fingertips for Verger...

Who was the one Mason talking about an overcooked penis?

(BRB vomit some more)

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
DrLar is offline  
post #558 of 569 Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
barth2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 299
The penis thing is a true story. Some guy in Germany placed an ad looking for someone willing to be killed and eaten by him, and some dude actually agreed.

Apparently they attempted together to eat the eatee's penis (last meal?), but lacking Cordell's culinary skills they burned it. Not wanting to let a good penis go to waste, they fed it to the dog. Eater then proceeded to kill eatee and ate a good chunk of him. He tried to argue in court that it was consensual. He was unsuccessful.

That's the internet for you. No matter how screwed up your fantasy is, there's somebody out there with a complementary screwed up fantasy waiting for you.

(There is hope for us all, is the lesson here.)
barth2k is offline  
post #559 of 569 Old Today, 04:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 19,312
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 1125
Well. They certainly tied up the Verger storyline succinctly! Mason being consumed from the inside by the eel was a frightening visual (you don't want to know what my nightmare consisted of after watching it) and Fuller's version of classic ouroboros. Then there was the imagery of Hannibal rising, Phoenix-like (or christ-like, whatever you prefer), ready to take retribution on those who would tread on his turf. So many great visuals accompanied by a great soundtrack, or business as usual in this show's world.

And then, poof! It was all over, Hannibal surrendered, presumably after realizing the gig was up and there was no longer any place on earth he could find sanctuary. Glad to see he just nicked Jack's ankle instead of severing the achilles as I had feared. Next week - back to the business of capturing serial killers, now with the help of the imprisoned Hannibal we've all come to know. Are the rushing into the Red Dragon storyline, realizing they only have a few more eps to go?

I'm still a little shaky on this... who, exactly, was Chiyo? It's almost like she was his guardian angle, having saved him (and Jack) from doom several times. And who was the other girl referenced from Hannibal's past (started with an "M")...? His sister?
archiguy is offline  
post #560 of 569 Old Today, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
barth2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Mischa was Hannibal's sister. Hannibal said he ate her but did not kill her.

Chiyoh was maid to Hannibal's aunt. She was roughly the same age as Hannibal and his sister and they kept company as kids.

The guy in the dungeon at Hannibal's ancestral home was supposedly Mischa's killer. Hannibal caught him and wanted Chiyoh to kill him, but Chiyoh decided to keep him alive in the dungeon instead.

Chiyoh is basically a deus ex machina to get Hannibal out of tight spots. Not a great role, but she looks good doing it.
barth2k is offline  
post #561 of 569 Old Today, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 19,312
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
Chiyoh is basically a deus ex machina to get Hannibal out of tight spots. Not a great role, but she looks good doing it.
Thanks! I wonder if Chiyoh & Mischa were part of the Hannibal canon WRT to the books?
archiguy is offline  
post #562 of 569 Old Today, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
barth2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 299
They are in Hannibal Rising, which chronicles Hannibal's origin. I did not read or see the movie.
barth2k is offline  
post #563 of 569 Old Today, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 12,049
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2268 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Well. They certainly tied up the Verger storyline succinctly! Mason being consumed from the inside by the eel was a frightening visual (you don't want to know what my nightmare consisted of after watching it) and Fuller's version of classic ouroboros. Then there was the imagery of Hannibal rising, Phoenix-like (or christ-like, whatever you prefer), ready to take retribution on those who would tread on his turf. So many great visuals accompanied by a great soundtrack, or business as usual in this show's world.

And then, poof! It was all over, Hannibal surrendered, presumably after realizing the gig was up and there was no longer any place on earth he could find sanctuary. Glad to see he just nicked Jack's ankle instead of severing the achilles as I had feared. Next week - back to the business of capturing serial killers, now with the help of the imprisoned Hannibal we've all come to know. Are the rushing into the Red Dragon storyline, realizing they only have a few more eps to go?

I'm still a little shaky on this... who, exactly, was Chiyo? It's almost like she was his guardian angle, having saved him (and Jack) from doom several times. And who was the other girl referenced from Hannibal's past (started with an "M")...? His sister?

I think Hannibal surrendered for a few reasons. It wasn't that the "jig was up" he could have escaped if he wanted to. This was more of his relationship with Jack. Jack had that long speech about how he wanted to be rid of Hannibal and no longer know anything about him. Hannibal specifically let him know that now Jack will always know where to find him

Remember this season was largely done before the decision was made. They are basically following the path already laid out. The Red Dragon story was planned for the end of this season.


Sent from nowhere
Ph8te is online now  
post #564 of 569 Old Today, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Well. They certainly tied up the Verger storyline succinctly! Mason being consumed from the inside by the eel was a frightening visual (you don't want to know what my nightmare consisted of after watching it) and Fuller's version of classic ouroboros. Then there was the imagery of Hannibal rising, Phoenix-like (or christ-like, whatever you prefer), ready to take retribution on those who would tread on his turf. So many great visuals accompanied by a great soundtrack, or business as usual in this show's world.

And then, poof! It was all over, Hannibal surrendered, presumably after realizing the gig was up and there was no longer any place on earth he could find sanctuary. Glad to see he just nicked Jack's ankle instead of severing the achilles as I had feared. Next week - back to the business of capturing serial killers, now with the help of the imprisoned Hannibal we've all come to know. Are the rushing into the Red Dragon storyline, realizing they only have a few more eps to go?

I'm still a little shaky on this... who, exactly, was Chiyo? It's almost like she was his guardian angle, having saved him (and Jack) from doom several times. And who was the other girl referenced from Hannibal's past (started with an "M")...? His sister?
The show was filmed and done before they knew it was cancelled, so they couldn't be rushing to the end unless they assumed it was going to be cancelled anyway, which would of been risky if it hadn't and they rushed to the end.

WilliamR is offline  
post #565 of 569 Old Today, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
zeus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,155
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I think Hannibal surrendered for a few reasons. It wasn't that the "jig was up" he could have escaped if he wanted to. This was more of his relationship with Jack. Jack had that long speech about how he wanted to be rid of Hannibal and no longer know anything about him. Hannibal specifically let him know that now Jack will always know where to find him

That's feasible, but I took it that it was related to Will. He was looking at Will the whole time he was saying all of that. Will had also dismissed him earlier and Hannibal wasn't too pleased about it.
zeus33 is offline  
post #566 of 569 Old Today, 03:25 PM
Member
 
Vorkosigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
That's feasible, but I took it that it was related to Will. He was looking at Will the whole time he was saying all of that. Will had also dismissed him earlier and Hannibal wasn't to pleased about it.
I think he meant Will when he said Jack.
Ph8te likes this.
Vorkosigan is online now  
post #567 of 569 Old Today, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 12,049
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2268 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosigan View Post
I think he meant Will when he said Jack.

Yes, I meant Will, thank you


Sent from nowhere
Ph8te is online now  
post #568 of 569 Old Today, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
barth2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Book Hannibal would have never surrendered. He loves his freedom above all else and prison food is the truest horror on earth. But TV Hannibal as it's been made clear has some kind of fatal attraction for Will. "I'm not going to be IGNORED!"
barth2k is offline  
post #569 of 569 Old Today, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 12,049
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2268 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Hannibal on NBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
Book Hannibal would have never surrendered. He loves his freedom above all else and prison food is the truest horror on earth. But TV Hannibal as it's been made clear has some kind of fatal attraction for Will. "I'm not going to be IGNORED!"

We know Hannibal well enough (and the story) to know that he knew this was not permanent. The "surrender" if anything was more of a jab at Will. He's always more than a few steps ahead of everyone. Of course with the help he gives his prison food is better than what most of us eat on a daily basis


Sent from nowhere
Ph8te is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off