Golden Boy CBS HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Matt L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Flushing, MI
Posts: 4,957
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Watched tonight and found it interesting enough for me to come back. With the time shifts it had a bit of a Person Of Interest feel to it, and that is not a bad thing. There are enough characters to keep it interesting, and while a bit broadly drawn with a bit of development they can be fleshed out nicely.

Friday night is kind of a dead zone anymore, not sure how well anything can do on that night but I'll tune in -- or should I say DVR in...
Matt L is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 02-27-2013, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

Watched tonight and found it interesting enough for me to come back. With the time shifts it had a bit of a Person Of Interest feel to it, and that is not a bad thing. There are enough characters to keep it interesting, and while a bit broadly drawn with a bit of development they can be fleshed out nicely.

Friday night is kind of a dead zone anymore, not sure how well anything can do on that night but I'll tune in -- or should I say DVR in...
I'm in as well. I liked the show well enough that it will be on my "must see" or at least "must DVR" list. I didn't see much of a comparison to POI, but it did remind me a bit of Suits on USA with the "golden boy" cop comparing favorably with the "golden boy" attorney on Suits.
BoilerJim is offline  
post #3 of 25 Old 02-27-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,925
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

...Friday night is kind of a dead zone anymore, not sure how well anything can do on that night but I'll tune in -- or should I say DVR in...
What do you mean by that? Golden boy looks to be on Tuesday nights, at least this and next week......
Speaking of Tuesday nights, if it stays on it's current time/day slot(and I decide to record it) I may have to make choices. Unfortunately when it's on, my 2 tuner Tivo is already recording ABC and NBC frown.gif In fact I wasn't able to watch last nights premier but I'll catch it Saturday night when CBS will repeat the pilot(thanks CBS smile.gif)
I'll be reporting back after Saturday when I'll actually have something to say about the program and not just the time slot.
So again if anyone wants to catch the Pilot again, tune in(or DVR as I will be doing) on CBS this Saturday smile.gif
jjeff is offline  
post #4 of 25 Old 02-27-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

What do you mean by that? Golden boy looks to be on Tuesday nights, at least this and next week......
Speaking of Tuesday nights, if it stays on it's current time/day slot(and I decide to record it) I may have to make choices. Unfortunately when it's on, my 2 tuner Tivo is already recording ABC and NBC frown.gif In fact I wasn't able to watch last nights premier but I'll catch it Saturday night when CBS will repeat the pilot(thanks CBS smile.gif)
I'll be reporting back after Saturday when I'll actually have something to say about the program and not just the time slot.
So again if anyone wants to catch the Pilot again, tune in(or DVR as I will be doing) on CBS this Saturday smile.gif
Guess you haven't read the news... smile.gif After the first two episodes, Golden Boy moves to Friday and Vegas returns to its regular Tuesday slot.
BoilerJim is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 02-27-2013, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ray Lucca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I watched it, and concur with all of the the bad reviews. The "Lead" is stiff as a board and simply can't act, or emote... I didn't buy in at all. Maybe the second episode will be better, guess I'll give it a couple. Chi , and Kevin we're good. Nice to see Bonnie Somerville again, and Holt from the FX Boxer show .
Ray Lucca is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 02-27-2013, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Matt L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Flushing, MI
Posts: 4,957
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

I'm in as well. I liked the show well enough that it will be on my "must see" or at least "must DVR" list. I didn't see much of a comparison to POI, but it did remind me a bit of Suits on USA with the "golden boy" cop comparing favorably with the "golden boy" attorney on Suits.

The only comparison I was making to POI was the various timelines.
Matt L is offline  
post #7 of 25 Old 02-28-2013, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,925
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Guess you haven't read the news... smile.gif After the first two episodes, Golden Boy moves to Friday and Vegas returns to its regular Tuesday slot.
No I guess I hadn't, if I like it that will be good news......or maybe not, I've also got several shows recording on Friday and I think at times both tuners are being used(7-8 CT for sure)......darn 2 tuner Tivo biggrin.gif
jjeff is offline  
post #8 of 25 Old 02-28-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Church AV Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Guess you haven't read the news... smile.gif After the first two episodes, Golden Boy moves to Friday and Vegas returns to its regular Tuesday slot.
No I guess I hadn't, if I like it that will be good news......or maybe not, I've also got several shows recording on Friday and I think at times both tuners are being used(7-8 CT for sure)......darn 2 tuner Tivo biggrin.gif

In my opinion, the move is a two edged sword. Friday is where shows go to die, mostly, BUT, Friday also has lower expectations, so it might be more likely to survive on lower ratings. On the other hand, there is no telling what a network will do.

I liked it. They made the main character pretty flat, so he has a lot of room to grow and develop.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is offline  
post #9 of 25 Old 02-28-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garrett Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Stockton, CA USA
Posts: 1,758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I'll stick with it for awhile longer. My first impression is the lead character is not very likable.
Garrett Adams is online now  
post #10 of 25 Old 03-01-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flint350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 2,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29

I love Chi McBride and was really looking forward to this one.  Sadly, I was a bit disappointed and, like some others, the main problem for me is the young lead.  I just don't buy or like him.  I'll stick it out for now and hope it gets better, but was hoping for much more.


Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
flint350 is offline  
post #11 of 25 Old 03-04-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,925
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Just watched the repeat of the pilot and I'd like to be in for more.......I say "like to be in" because both the time that show is currently on, Tuesday night 9-10p CT or the time it will be on, Friday night 8-9p CT I'm already recording 2 programs frown.gif I guess I could watch one of the 3 live with my TVs tuner but I just hate watching live TV......but again I kind of liked the pilot, just wish it was in another time slot.
jjeff is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 03-06-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,925
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Well watched last nights show live and I'm still kind of on the fence. Don't dislike it(although I'm not a big fan of the main character, think he's kind of smarmy) but I can't say it's a favorite either. I kind of like his partner although his part seems to fit all the cliches for the wise old detective who just doesn't get any respect, along with slow and steady wins the race....I don't know, I think I'll give it another chance this Friday, probably watch it live again(with gets old real fast with ALL the commercials).
Anybody else liking this show?
jjeff is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 03-06-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Well watched last nights show live and I'm still kind of on the fence. Don't dislike it(although I'm not a big fan of the main character, think he's kind of smarmy) but I can't say it's a favorite either. I kind of like his partner although his part seems to fit all the cliches for the wise old detective who just doesn't get any respect, along with slow and steady wins the race....I don't know, I think I'll give it another chance this Friday, probably watch it live again(with gets old real fast with ALL the commercials).
Anybody else liking this show?
Yes, I like it very much. I've always been a big fan of Chi McBride and will watch almost anything he's in. I think you have to give "the kid" time to develop his character. Based on the pre-series promos, I'm wondering which girl he'll take to bed first, the blond detective or the brunette ADA.
BoilerJim is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 03-06-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rich3fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In the land of Perry
Posts: 1,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Last night's episode did keep my attention, and I do agree with you jjeff that Chi McBride's character does play out all the old, seasoned detective cliches, but I like the friction that's developing between Clark and Arroyo. I'm going to stick with it and probably setup a series recording since it's moving to Friday nights (isn't that the night where TV shows go to die?), and see if the next episode keeps my interest.

Keep calm and drive a Camaro
rich3fan is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 03-07-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
flint350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 2,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29

I remain mixed, especially on the young future Commish and his attitude.  Chi McBride keeps me interested along with the tension between the teams of detectives.  Like flashbacks, I'm not a big fan of flash-forwards either.  Seeing him limp around and hinting at various people he met along the way, etc. can get old.


Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
flint350 is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 03-07-2013, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Matt L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Flushing, MI
Posts: 4,957
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Good news for Golden, bad for Vegas, CBS is keeping Golden on Tuesdays and shifting Vegas to Friday.
Matt L is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 03-08-2013, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,925
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
So Golden was on this Tuesday, will be on tonight(Friday) and then will be back next Tuesday and following Tuesdays confused.gif seeks like the network folks are a bit confused rolleyes.gif
jjeff is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 03-08-2013, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Church AV Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

So Golden was on this Tuesday, will be on tonight(Friday) and then will be back next Tuesday and following Tuesdays confused.gif seeks like the network folks are a bit confused rolleyes.gif

I would sincerely hope that the Golden Boy/Vegas switch isn't the FIRST clue that you have seen that the networks are confused. At best, this is merely the latest. Usually CBS is not known for this kind of thing, so I am a bit surprised. Were the GB ratings that much better than Vegas? That Tues. 10PM slot is a competitive one.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 03-09-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,925
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I agree, CBS is usually on top of things. Unfortunately I forgot to watch GB last night and because of a dual tuner conflict I was not able to record it, or will ever be able unless my other 2 programs move or are in repeats. I think I'll take this opportunity to drop out, not a bad show but just too many other things going on and GB was my lowest priority smile.gif
jjeff is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 03-09-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I agree, CBS is usually on top of things. Unfortunately I forgot to watch GB last night and because of a dual tuner conflict I was not able to record it, or will ever be able unless my other 2 programs move or are in repeats. I think I'll take this opportunity to drop out, not a bad show but just too many other things going on and GB was my lowest priority smile.gif
Golden Boy was excellent last night. I hope enough people watch it to keep it around for awhile. Since I've seen all three episodes, I haven't checked on-line, but you may want to look to see if it's available on the CBS website.
BoilerJim is offline  
post #21 of 25 Old 03-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Senior Member
 
femi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Smyrna, GA
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yeah last night was really good episode. smile.gif
femi is online now  
post #22 of 25 Old 03-13-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
73shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: KC, MO area
Posts: 2,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

What do you mean by that? Golden boy looks to be on Tuesday nights, at least this and next week......
Speaking of Tuesday nights, if it stays on it's current time/day slot(and I decide to record it) I may have to make choices. Unfortunately when it's on, my 2 tuner Tivo is already recording ABC and NBC frown.gif In fact I wasn't able to watch last nights premier but I'll catch it Saturday night when CBS will repeat the pilot(thanks CBS smile.gif)
I'll be reporting back after Saturday when I'll actually have something to say about the program and not just the time slot.
So again if anyone wants to catch the Pilot again, tune in(or DVR as I will be doing) on CBS this Saturday smile.gif

Or you could do like I do when there's three shows at the same time. Break out the VCR. I then watch/listen to the VCR w/ the one that I'm least interested in while I check the forums. cool.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by femi View Post

Yeah last night was really good episode. smile.gif

Last nite was best to date. Starting to think its setting is Chicago after seeing all of the bad cops and the commish.

Chi McBride makes it worthwhile. Liked him in Human Target also.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
73shark is online now  
post #23 of 25 Old 03-13-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Or you could do like I do when there's three shows at the same time. Break out the VCR. I then watch/listen to the VCR w/ the one that I'm least interested in while I check the forums. cool.gif


Last nite was best to date. Starting to think its setting is Chicago after seeing all of the bad cops and the commish.

Chi McBride makes it worthwhile. Liked him in Human Target also.
Don't forget Boston Public. That's what I first remember him from. Luckily I had the DVR set last night as I dozed through part of Golden Boy, not because it was bad but because I was sleepy. smile.gif
BoilerJim is offline  
post #24 of 25 Old 03-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Senior Member
 
mr b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Beltsville, MD
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm in for this show so far. Like the dynamic between the young cop and the other characters. I too though the seasoned veteran character would be cliche - and to a certain extent is kinda is - but Chi plays it pretty well. As for the time shifts, if they keep it limited to the beginning and end of the episodes it'll be tolerable. Just makes me wonder if they've got a timeline of when the 7 yr span will be completed. Ideally it would span just 1 season, but I'd bet the producer and writers are prepared to drag it out if it becomes successful.

FWIW I DVR'd the 1st 6 episodes and was able to watch over a couple of days. Gotta love the 4 tuner Tivo wink.gif
mr b is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old 03-28-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flint350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 2,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29

I've grown not to mind the intro/outro way of the (thankfully brief) time shifts, but the main problem for me is the central character.  I love me some Chi McBride and he's good here.  But, the Clark character is just insufferable at times for me.  It's either the actor or the way the role is written (or both), but I don't give a whit what happens to him and find it unfathomable that he'd make Commish in 7 years based on his current status.  Also wonder what happened to Odette Annable - it appeared she would play a love interest early on, but has disappeared.


Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
flint350 is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off