Bates Motel on A&E - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-17-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Surprised there's no thread about this, going to give it a shot. Not been a huge fan of A&E since they went mostly reality but thought that Longmire was decent last summer. Premieres tomorrow night (3/18) at 10pm.

Hoping that this show has an American Horror Story vibe about it, and at least be better than 666 Park Avenue.

http://www.aetv.com/bates-motel/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Surprised there's no thread about this, going to give it a shot. Not been a huge fan of A&E since they went mostly reality but thought that Longmire was decent last summer. Premieres tomorrow night (3/18) at 10pm.

Hoping that this show has an American Horror Story vibe about it, and at least be better than 666 Park Avenue.

http://www.aetv.com/bates-motel/

Well, since this "prequel" doesn't even take place before PSYCHO, there's little interest. Norman Bates texting? Still, I will see at least the first episode...but I don 't expect much...certainly not an AHS vibe.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does not seem to have favorable reviews. Got it scheduled bot not expecting much given A&E's other bland shows.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Looks like a interesting show, I'm going to watch it.. Starts in a few minutes...
Old 03-18-2013, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Wow. A lot more intense than I thought.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Can't wait to see where this goes. I hope it gets a little more scarier then it is, but we are only one episode in.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Yea kind of hard to be a normal teen with a mom like that. We still don't know what happened to dad. Lots of things going on...loved the teen party.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I couldn't see Vera Farmiga signing on for any schlock series and I think that the pilot knocked it out of the ballpark. I hope they can keep it up. Looks like A&E doesn't want to be left in the dust behind AMC and FX.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I really had about zero interest in this... but I like Vera, so I DVRed it last night. I've seen some positive things written today, so I'm hoping that means I will be glad I recorded it whenever I get around to watching.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Old 03-20-2013, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Show's off to a good start, let's see how many folks stick around...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Nielsen Notes (Cable)
‘Bates Motel’ Premiere Hits A&E Drama High
By Dominic Patten, Deadline.com - Mar. 19, 2013

Guess a lot of people are checking in to A&E Network’s Bates Motel. The premiere of the Psycho prequel series last night pulled in 3 million viewers for its 10 PM debut. Bates Motel garnered 1.599 million viewers among Adults 18-49 and 1.633 million among Adults 25-54 demographic. Those Monday results make the new series the most watched original drama in the key demos in the network’s history. The previous demo drama high for A&E was the debut of Breakout Kings on March 6, 20111 which received 1.564 million viewers among the 25-54 and 1.522 million among the 18-49.

Bates Motel ended up getting 4.6 million viewers overall Monday with an encore airing after the original premiere. Put together, that gave Bates 2.5 million in Adults 25-54 and 2.4 million among Adults 18-49. The series details the dark backstory of Norman Bates (Freddie Highmore) and how deeply intricate his relationship with his mother, Norma (Vera Farmiga), truly is.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/bates-motel-premiere-hits-ae-drama-high/
Old 03-21-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Watched the premiere. Interesting. Competent. Vera Farmiga is reliable, so I was sure she would add value to the show, and she does. Freddie Highmore is superb as Norman; some of his subtle mannerisms echo Anthony Perkins to super-creepy effect.

I like that the timeframe is as it is. The Bates Motel and home seem completely outside of time, and that is amplified by the modern setting of the rest of their world.

I suspect viewers will find the plot elements Cuse and Company devise either bold or disrespectful to the Hitchcock classic. Therefore, I declare them bold, almost by definition.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Watched the first 1/2 hour and before I realized Hitchcock had already said everything we needed to know about Norman Bates and his mommy.

How the hell did someone of Vera's stature get talked into this deadender? rolleyes.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 03-26-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Episode 2 also worked for me and is taking the storyline in some interesting directions.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
This is my new favorite show this season.biggrin.gif
Old 03-26-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Watched the first 1/2 hour and before I realized Hitchcock had already said everything we needed to know about Norman Bates and his mommy.

Not to mention PSYCHO IV...with Olivia Hussey as Mother!

Old 03-29-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 558
I was intrigued by the concept of Bates Motes, so setup a season pass. Big mistake, or at least it seems so to me. Vera Farmiga was, as expected, excellent and Freddie Highmore was solid too. Now to the down side, The pretty boys who play Norma's older son and the deputy sheriff, respectively, set my teeth on edge. The role of the older son was that of an insufferable sociopath and the actor playing the role and the guy who played the deputy look more like Broadway dancing boys than either tough guys who had been around or cops. I deleted my season pass about halfway through the second episode so if I missed something that might improve the series, such as the older son or the deputy getting killed off, somebody let me know.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 84
My brother says this is good
Old 03-30-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I was intrigued by the concept of Bates Motes, so setup a season pass. Big mistake, or at least it seems so to me. Vera Farmiga was, as expected, excellent and Freddie Highmore was solid too. Now to the down side, The pretty boys who play Norma's older son and the deputy sheriff, respectively, set my teeth on edge. The role of the older son was that of an insufferable sociopath and the actor playing the role and the guy who played the deputy look more like Broadway dancing boys than either tough guys who had been around or cops. I deleted my season pass about halfway through the second episode so if I missed something that might improve the series, such as the older son or the deputy getting killed off, somebody let me know.

Well Im not sure I have have a cookie cutter view of how cops should look like wink.gif This is a small town where as the deputy said, things get "taken care of"....The cops at this point seem more of a farce as the town handles business in their own way........I thinkt he older brother, needs to be this way in order to further push Norman to his "end story". This on top of the mother aspect is just the icing on the cake......While I agree he is teeth grindingly annoying, hes playing the part he was given well. IMO this may be like Spartacus where the set up, may lead to a good payoff (I am hoping) right now with only 2 episodes in and we are still getting the set up of the town and characters so I expect it to be slower....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

My brother says this is good

Im enjoying the show so far an I am sticking with it. I think this show lends itselfto tougher criticisim becasue of the source material, and many will have an idea of where it "should" go or how it should be done. For me however I try to keep personal wants out of it and so far I am enjoying it......
Old 03-31-2013, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

How the hell did someone of Vera's stature get talked into this deadender? rolleyes.gif

Watched the first ep and did not like it at all. Boring. I will give it one more shot before deleting it from my schedule.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

Old 03-31-2013, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Is anyone else starting to get a "Twin Peaks" vibe from this show?

I've thought about moving to Oregon, but Bates Motel and Grimm are making me think twice! eek.gif

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Old 03-31-2013, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post

Is anyone else starting to get a "Twin Peaks" vibe from this show?

I've thought about moving to Oregon, but Bates Motel and Grimm are making me think twice! eek.gif

A little Twin Peaks feel to it, but so many shows take little bits and pieces from taht show it wouldnt be surprising.....
Old 04-03-2013, 06:41 AM

Liked: 23
I enjoyed the first two episode so I'll stick with it for now. I've only seen the first Psycho movie and I'm going into this series as a separate entity from that.
The acting seems solid and I like the characters. Loved it when the mother asked the young girl what her life expectancy was...lol
Pretty boy brother and deputy didn't bother me. I've watched enough TV and movies to be use to the overly attractive people playing scientist, lab techs, crime scene investigators, bounty hunters, etc.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I like it, and I'm one that's very hard to get sucked into continually running TV shows, the only shows I've ever followed were Seinfeld and Eastbound and Down. However, I think it's completely stupid that they set it in modern times, makes zero sense to me. Certainly keeps you interested though.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm fine with it being set in current times. Remember "Psycho" WAS set in it's "current time." The story has nothing to do with that era anyway. Plus the scheme is probably to attract the new generation of twenty somethings who wouldn't be so much into a "period piece." You may notice this is happening a bit in the industry. In fact Comcast was very frank in clearing out the "old folks" on NBC.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I'm fine with it being set in current times. Remember "Psycho" WAS set in it's "current time." The story has nothing to do with that era anyway. Plus the scheme is probably to attract the new generation of twenty somethings who wouldn't be so much into a "period piece."

I do like that some of the clothing and implements and decor are quite specific to the 50s/60s.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I'm fine with it being set in current times. Remember "Psycho" WAS set in it's "current time." The story has nothing to do with that era anyway. Plus the scheme is probably to attract the new generation of twenty somethings who wouldn't be so much into a "period piece." You may notice this is happening a bit in the industry. In fact Comcast was very frank in clearing out the "old folks" on NBC.

Same here, I don't have a problem with it set today but the wife thinks it's all wrong.

I'm still on the fence about the show to some extent, it's been decent so far but not grabbing me as much as some of the other cable shows this year. The mother/son dynamic is being played rather well in this one I think (as you would hope), but the deal with Shelby the deputy started out weird with he and Norma and is now getting even weirder. Guess we'll have to see how it goes.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:38 AM

Liked: 10
Bit of a side bar. This is the first show on Comcast in my area I've noticed that has changed up it's transport stream, so that the recording no longer plays back on my SageTV HD300. (apparently the program ID in the header is one the no-longer-supported HD300 doesn't understand... thank you Google for buying SageTV! tongue.gif)

Luckily I can run it through an MPEG tool and fix it, but I hope it's not a sign of things to come on more networks or Comcast. I like my old SageTV hardware. smile.gif
Old 04-24-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Lets blow the dust off of this one shall we wink.gif

Still watching and still enjoying this show, while not 100% I still think its better than Revolution and The Following. We finally got to see what happened for Norman's dad, on top of Norma being a little "off" she is trying to protect her pycopath of a son. The seeds of what we know to be the end are finally getting planted smile.gif

Guess Im the only one watching, but thats OK biggrin.gif
Old 04-24-2013, 10:39 PM

Liked: 10
My wife and i love this show,It just gets better and better every week!,I hope they bring it back next year too!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Lets blow the dust off of this one shall we wink.gif

Still watching and still enjoying this show, while not 100% I still think its better than Revolution and The Following. We finally got to see what happened for Norman's dad, on top of Norma being a little "off" she is trying to protect her pycopath of a son. The seeds of what we know to be the end are finally getting planted smile.gif

Guess Im the only one watching, but thats OK biggrin.gif

We are still watching it but not a whole lot is happening. Well a lot is happening but it isn't particularly scary or intense, etc. seems kind of low key most of the time.