America's Got Talent, season 8 (2013) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 361 Old 07-05-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I've never bought any music from any American Idol either. That's really not the point of these shows.

AGT is first and foremost a TV show,a gong show with bigger prize at the end. It hopefully entertains you for an hour (minus commercials and FF), then you forget about it.

If you take the "would I pay to see this in Vegas" premise seriously, you would end up with, like, 3 acts being voted to go through.
Aliens likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 361 Old 07-05-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

I've never bought any music from any American Idol either. That's really not the point of these shows.

AGT is first and foremost a TV show,a gong show with bigger prize at the end. It hopefully entertains you for an hour (minus commercials and FF), then you forget about it.

If you take the "would I pay to see this in Vegas" premise seriously, you would end up with, like, 3 acts being voted to go through.

You would think that after this many years of AGT that people would have an understanding of what it’s about; apparently not, because they still watch and ridicule it for not having the best talent on the planet. We’ve seen 90 seconds, if that, per performance, so we’ve only gotten a glimpse of what is ahead. Some may shine and some may falter as they advance, as we’ve often seen in the past. As my posts have indicated, I think there have been some fine singing performances, but those performances have been limited. However, from what little I’ve seen, if they can handle the pressure and perform the full range of a song from beginning to end, then I believe we are in for a great final. YMMV.
post #93 of 361 Old 07-05-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

That premise of being "a million dollar Vegas act" is silly on its face.  Look at some of the "acts" Mandel especially has put through.

Oh, c'mon. By the above standard, ALL of the judges are guilty. A "million dollar Vegas act" featuring kid singers or dancers? Please...
post #94 of 361 Old 07-06-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Oh, c'mon. By the above standard, ALL of the judges are guilty. A "million dollar Vegas act" featuring kid singers or dancers? Please...

This is only the 2nd season I've watched the show so I don't know its history with its own stated purpose.  However, Stern makes repeated references to the idea of "are you a $1M act?"  Like I said, I get that some of it is filler or just funny in its idiocy.  But, the number of acts that are so obviously doomed to failure yet put through while bypassing others that have some real talent seems abnormally high to me, especially by Mandel.  There is truly a great deal of talent on display in most cities, but they still seem intent on putting some truly awful things through to Vegas.  Or maybe I'm just naive.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #95 of 361 Old 07-06-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

This is only the 2nd season I've watched the show so I don't know its history with its own stated purpose.  However, Stern makes repeated references to the idea of "are you a $1M act?"  Like I said, I get that some of it is filler or just funny in its idiocy.  But, the number of acts that are so obviously doomed to failure yet put through while bypassing others that have some real talent seems abnormally high to me, especially by Mandel.  There is truly a great deal of talent on display in most cities, but they still seem intent on putting some truly awful things through to Vegas.  Or maybe I'm just naive.
The first cut is always loaded with marginala. Making it through the next 2 rounds is a lot tougher. That said, due to the way they've pretty much shoehorned the acts through in this phase. I haven't seen any acts that should have made it through, but didn't. I have seen a couple or three that I wouldn't have passed.

Howie's always the guy that sends through acts that personally appeal to his sense of humor...at the expense of other acts that are overloaded in their categories.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #96 of 361 Old 07-06-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I'll repeat: Once Stern or the others pass through an act that has no chance of winning - like a kid's singing or dancing act - any criticism of Mandel is ludicrous.
post #97 of 361 Old 07-06-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Then they should drop the "Las Vegas Act" nonsense.
post #98 of 361 Old 07-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I don't hink it's a Las Vegas act any more.....don't they keep referring to a show at Radio City Music Hall for the winner?
post #99 of 361 Old 07-08-2013, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

I don't hink it's a Las Vegas act any more.....don't they keep referring to a show at Radio City Music Hall for the winner?
The references to Radio City Music Hall are due to round 3 of AGT. The live shows from New York, which were from New Jersey last year, will be from Radio City Music Hall this year. So all the Radio City Music Hall banter is playing up the live finals of AGT itself. Self-Promotion in a way...

PS3 ID: Mav_26_
post #100 of 361 Old 07-08-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 42
When do the live shows start? These heavily edited audition shows are never nearly as good (in my opinion).
post #101 of 361 Old 07-08-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Peterson View Post

When do the live shows start? These heavily edited audition shows are never nearly as good (in my opinion).

Week 6 ended the audition process last season. By the end of week 7, the judges decided on their Top 48 contestants. The live shows started on week 8. This will be week 6, so it shouldn’t be too long.
post #102 of 361 Old 07-08-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The synopsis for July 16 is for the first installment of eliminations in Las Vegas.
post #103 of 361 Old 07-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMavs View Post

The references to Radio City Music Hall are due to round 3 of AGT. The live shows from New York, which were from New Jersey last year, will be from Radio City Music Hall this year. So all the Radio City Music Hall banter is playing up the live finals of AGT itself. Self-Promotion in a way...

Thanks for the clarification....I fast-forward so much through these audition shows it's easy to miss some of that stuff. It's pretty much FF until you see the first act walk out on stage, watch the act, listen to the vote, repeat the process....two hour show takes about 40 minutes to watch.
post #104 of 361 Old 07-08-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Peterson View Post

The first live show is on TUESDAY, JULY 23. The first live results show is on WEDNESDAY, July 24.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20130705nbc08/
post #105 of 361 Old 07-10-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reminder: after tonight's rerun at 8 PM ET/PT, there's a sixty-one-minute new installment at 9 PM ET/PT, which will be the last audition show for this season.

Next week, they'll air the Las Vegas eliminations, apparently with a two-hour show on Tuesday, and a one-hour recap followed by a one-hour conclusion on Wednesday.
post #106 of 361 Old 07-11-2013, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I have a feeling it is going to be a singer this year. I hated that we only saw a couple seconds of the impressionist, he sounded really really good but again we see snips of acts so they can leave room for the ones that suck. A shame.

post #107 of 361 Old 07-11-2013, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Tuesday night.

They loaded this show with rejects. But I did LMAO at the last guy on stage. All juvenile bits, but I couldn’t help it.

Too short on time, but I did like the impressionist. They are always a favorite of mine.

Another very good country singer. But I’m sick of milking the “serviceman” angle. The PC, “I want to thank you for your service,” can go the way of the 8-track player. JMO.

212 Green, the young “family” group from Harlem, were good. The sisters were really good, but I could have done without the brother rapping. I guess they were trying to be edgy, but it didn’t work for me.

This year AGT is focusing heavily on young singers. Heavily. The first girl was good and was one of the very few I’ve seen that didn’t show any nervousness about where she was. While these kids are good and may have a future, I can’t see any of them winning. Maybe when I hear more that will change, especially with Anna Christine.

Tonight I’ll watch Wednesday’s show.
post #108 of 361 Old 07-11-2013, 05:59 AM

Liked: 13
Who knows when they run the Youtube auditions?

TV Pan TC-P60GT50, Denon AVR-1713, Front towers BA A360, Center BA A225C, Surround BA XS Satellite, Sub Klipsch RW12D, Blu-ray player Sony BDP-S5100, Ethereal Power Manager 2000.
post #109 of 361 Old 07-11-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I have a feeling it is going to be a singer this year. I hated that we only saw a couple seconds of the impressionist, he sounded really really good but again we see snips of acts so they can leave room for the ones that suck. A shame.

Which one of the 9 to 14 girls? there's seem to be plenty...

I wish the show would stop referencing the million bucks, that's over 40 years, that's poverty line income.. (I don't think I'll make with with $25k a year before taxes)

A true permanent Vegas act would be the main prize or a record deal if singers.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #110 of 361 Old 07-11-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroMike View Post

Who knows when they run the Youtube auditions?
If you're asking when they run on NBC, usually they're after the fourth round of quarterfinalists.

If you're asking when they run on YouTube, no idea; I always miss them.  Let's hope someone else knows.
post #111 of 361 Old 07-11-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I did almost pee my pants at the guy throwing the plungers, the slow motion of them flying over their heads was priceless.

post #112 of 361 Old 07-11-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I think it was funnier that way instead of landing them in their backs, I was amazed one of them actually stuck on one.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #113 of 361 Old 07-11-2013, 11:56 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

If you're asking when they run NBC, usually they're after the fourth round of quarterfinalists.

That's the answer I was looking for, thank you!

TV Pan TC-P60GT50, Denon AVR-1713, Front towers BA A360, Center BA A225C, Surround BA XS Satellite, Sub Klipsch RW12D, Blu-ray player Sony BDP-S5100, Ethereal Power Manager 2000.
post #114 of 361 Old 07-12-2013, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

On Wednesday’s installment of America’s Got Kids...rolleyes.gif

The selection committee has made a concerted effort to go young this year. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that, but it is a definite departure from the past.

Timber Brown, the acrobat has some incredible strength. Very impressed.

Another, country singer. Nice sounding voice, but like 90% of the singers, I haven’t heard enough to make a judgment. But it is definitely a singer’s year.

My top 10 in no particular order…

Brandon and Savannah
Forte
Marty Brown
Anna Christine
Dave Fenley
Brandon

I need to pick up 4 more somewhere along the line. At this point, Marty Brown is my favorite to win.
post #115 of 361 Old 07-12-2013, 08:54 AM

Liked: 58

I'm rooting for this guy!

"Coal Keeps the Lights On"

PS: I'm not looking to incite a political discussion. Regardless of where you fall politically, what you think about energy policy or foreign policy, you have to be moved by the raw emotion expressed in this performance. Especially when you consider that its a song that he wrote about the life that he's lived - 100% genuine. I can happily cast my vote for that.

My Blog > World's Fastest Website | Vizio Owners Guide | Vizio Calibration (updated)

My Equipment: 70" Vizio M-Series | Directv HR34-700 | Denon AVR-591 | Harmony Smart Control | Samsung LNT-5265 | PS3
post #116 of 361 Old 07-12-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27

You just have to smirk at a show that has the judges arguing over passing a reasonable talent on while using the excuse that not everyone is a Vegas $$$ act - and then passes 3 guys whose idea of "our music" is slapping a fat guy on the stomach until he's all red.  Quite the standards.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #117 of 361 Old 07-12-2013, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vestaviascott View Post

I'm rooting for this guy!

"Coal Keeps the Lights On"

PS: I'm not looking to incite a political discussion. Regardless of where you fall politically, what you think about energy policy or foreign policy, you have to be moved by the raw emotion expressed in this performance. Especially when you consider that its a song that he wrote about the life that he's lived - 100% genuine. I can happily cast my vote for that.

Too bad he's a lousy singer.

BTW, the show lost any remaining credibility when the judges gave 4 "YES's" to the three kid dancers, one of whom was 3-years old twirling butter knives. They were very mediocre, at best.
post #118 of 361 Old 07-13-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 104
Quote:

One could say the same of Bob Dylan and Kris Kristofferson. They are both great songwriters that actually made a pretty good living singing as well. I think this young man has a future....

Bobby 

post #119 of 361 Old 07-13-2013, 08:28 AM

Liked: 58

Amen to that Bobby. Although this guy sounds way better. He just needs some polish and he's going to do fine. With that backstory, its a can't miss. He's all over social media right now.

My Blog > World's Fastest Website | Vizio Owners Guide | Vizio Calibration (updated)

My Equipment: 70" Vizio M-Series | Directv HR34-700 | Denon AVR-591 | Harmony Smart Control | Samsung LNT-5265 | PS3
post #120 of 361 Old 07-13-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Quote:

One could say the same of Bob Dylan and Kris Kristofferson. They are both great songwriters that actually made a pretty good living singing as well. I think this young man has a future....

Maybe, but not as a singer/songwriter.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page