Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 361 Old 08-07-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Once again the evening left me cold, though not as cold as the last two weeks.  I still decided not to vote for any of the performers, but I'm with WilliamR and agree that with the quarterfinals’ having weak acts facing other weak acts and strong acts facing other strong acts, the semifinals are going to have a lot of people who don't deserve to get that far and will be missing a lot who do.

No name flubs from Judge Brown last night, but we have yet to see what gets into tonight's recap show.  Stern got Forte's name right when he was talking to Jonathan Allen, but Cannon and Mandel, the two who messed up "Forte," both mangled Kenichi Ebina's first name.  Do they never listen?

Finally, the judges were all so windy and wasted so much time that they had to be given the bum's rush for their opinions on American Military Spouses Choir.  Klum couldn't pick up on Cannon's warning and still droned on and on; Brown and Stern were succinct; but Mandel was not much better than Klum about getting to the point.

post #183 of 361 Old 08-07-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Kenichi needs to play the saxaphone.

Get it?!? Kenny G?
Mel B made that pun at his audition.
post #184 of 361 Old 08-07-2013, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Kenichi needs to play the saxaphone.

Get it?!? Kenny G?

I kid, I kid.

I got it. Where's Kenny G now? Boy didn't that make me feel old.
post #185 of 361 Old 08-08-2013, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 292
1 for 4 – ouch! I had Deanna, Mitsi Dancing, Jonathan, and Brandon and Savannah.

I wasn’t as impressed with Kenichi as much as the judges were. It was creative, but I thought it was little more than a martial artist going through a routine. Maybe you had to be there in order to really appreciate it. Nice sell job, Howie.

The American Military Spouses got the “flag waving” vote. Next week it will be Jimmy Rose’s turn.

The Chicago Boyz got the sympathy vote. We’ve seen this act performed so many times before that I don’t think it has brought anything new or better to the table.
post #186 of 361 Old 08-08-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I think they got the vote because of the broken leg vote "poor guy got hurt, let's vote them thru"

I only had Kenichi and the 2 cry stories made it like predicted, a bit surprised Brandon and Savannah didn't make it (after some judge almost offered a record deal)

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #187 of 361 Old 08-08-2013, 07:15 AM

I'm suprised by Jonathan Allen going thru. I think they are good but average acts, none that I think will move on pass this round.
post #188 of 361 Old 08-08-2013, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Brandon and Savannah might well have gone through in either of the previous two weeks.  If there's a second-chance round, perhaps one of the judges will bring them back.

Cannon kept on mispronouncing "Kenichi."  (Ebina ought to call him "ni-CO-las.")  Isn't he getting audio prompts in his headset from a director or a stage manager, who could easily tell him it's FOR-tay and KEN-ih-chee?(Edit: it's Keh-NEE-chi after all; not quite k'NEE-chi, but they've been closer than I was.)

Neither of the Castro siblings is in next week's lineup, so they must both be in the fifth quarterfinal on August 23.  The producers have decided to schedule them against one another.  However, that may have been at their parents’ request so that the family would have to travel to New York only once; maybe we shouldn't blame the producers.

post #189 of 361 Old 08-08-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought "Forte" is pronounced For Té (french word meaning strong)

post #190 of 361 Old 08-08-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Jeez, why are we so obsessed with pronunciation? Of the acts that went through last night...

Jonathan - sob story, talent, but can he compete head to head with James? Maybe. Forte, I don't think so, unless they really screw the pooch.
Wives - they are good enough and will tug on America's patriotic heartstrings so much, that they'll be tough to eliminate
Kenichi - I was impressed. If he can get even more creative, then he's got a chance...if he only equals last night or starts repeating himself, then it's going to be really tough to make the finals.
Chicago Boys - great story and enthusiasm, but really they can't carry a Las Vegas show.

Competition already passed through:
Marty Brown - common he should have been eliminated last week
Forte - should be there at the end
Anna Christie - amazing talent, but a kid will choke shortly
Keys - I think he's got staying power, if he can keep growing his act and making us scratch our head as to how he's doing it.
Housewife impressionist - if she gets better material, then maybe...outside shot.
Brandon James - I think he wins head to head against Jonathan, but if he has to go against Forte, then he falls short
Innovative - won't go any further
Muscle twins - they're pretty entertaining, might make the next cut...maybe more

Of the acts that haven't performed...maybe the dry comedy guy, the shadow dance act that creates illusions of scale (if they keep improving), maybe one of the kid singers (but they weren't that memorable, the coal miner singer (though I wasn't that impressed) America likes him, maybe the other choir group.. After that I can't think of anyone that jogs my memory.

Finals prediction:
Wives
Forte
Kenichi
Keys
Dry comedy guy
Muscle Twins
Shadow dance troupe
Brandon or Jonathan take your pick
any other sports are up for grabs

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #191 of 361 Old 08-08-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

From the first time I saw Jim Meskimen I knew he looked familiar. This goes back to what has been mentioned many times before; should some of these acts be allowed to perform when they have a history of being in the business for many years? Does that give them an unfair advantage over those that have only performed in their bedroom? As in Jim’s case they don’t always pass through (he blew it with his routine because he was good enough to advance), but the experience can certainly be an advantage.

His IMDb history. But where I recognize him the most is from commercials.

I also think acts should pass through based on their performance and not be eliminated because it is assumed they will lose in a head-to-head matchup down the road. Strange things happen.
post #192 of 361 Old 08-08-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The French [feminine] word for strong is pronounced "fort"; the E is silent (the masculine is "fort" with a silent T).  The group's name is the Italian word for strong (mascuine and feminine); the E is pronounced (so is the T, of course) but the stress is on the first syllable.

Ron, some of us are interested.  If you aren't, just skim past such posts.  I, for one, think it matters whether the judges and the host pay attention.  The advertisers hike the prices that they charge us so that the producers can pay people like Cannon and Mandel the big bucks.
post #193 of 361 Old 08-08-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Ron, some of us are interested.  If you aren't, just skim past such posts.  I, for one, think
it matters whether the judges and the host pay attention.  The advertisers hike the prices that they charge us so that the producers can pay people like Cannon and Mandel the big bucks.
No worries, dattier, I'm just in a cranky old man mode do to some sloppy work that cost me revenue over the last few days.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #194 of 361 Old 08-08-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Still the camera directing is lousy as ever, on magic acts KEEP THE CAMERA SHOT ON THE PERFORMER please

post #195 of 361 Old 08-08-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

I'm just in a cranky old man mode do to some sloppy work that cost me revenue over the last few days.
As for the mode, join the club.  As for the financial losses, sympathies and good luck.
Quote:

Still the camera directing is lousy as ever, on magic acts KEEP THE CAMERA SHOT ON THE PERFORMER please
Not just the magic acts, but also dancers, jugglers, acrobats, and just about everyone except singers, rappers, and instrumentalists.  Also, for ventriloquism acts, the human is the performer, not the dummy.
post #196 of 361 Old 08-10-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27

The camera direction is decidedly awful on many acts.  And that "pan of torture" they do on the voting is so drawn out that you could hit 'skip' on the DVR and get to the result much quicker.  If they think they are building suspense, they are not-  at least not for me.  If they decide on new judges anytime soon, I hope it is Mandel who they change.  His idiocy and penchant for oddballs that have no chance is ridiculous, along with his ever changing version of how things are decided.  Sometimes he directly says "...but can you headline a Vegas show" and other times he directly says "...but that's not the point, the point is to find a new and different act".  Then he passes the group slapping the fat guy while saying the precision Chinese dancers are not worthy.  Please.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #197 of 361 Old 08-10-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

the group slapping the fat guy
Tummy Talk are on this coming Tuesday's quarterfinal.  I can't imagine that they'll be voted through.  Like any other one-note joke they have no business in the quarterfinals, but neither did Tone the Chiefrocca, and he came in fifth in the popular vote that week.
post #198 of 361 Old 08-10-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 352
I think the season is weak overall compared to last year. Earth harp guy should've won that easily. That is the type if show you'd see in Vegas for an hour not a dog show. "America" is stupid to be voting through some of this crap. I like Howard, and the girls are nice to look at buy howie could go. He's a dork. It'd be nice to see a really good magic act make it.
post #199 of 361 Old 08-11-2013, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

I think the season is weak overall compared to last year. Earth harp guy should've won that easily. That is the type if show you'd see in Vegas for an hour not a dog show. "America" is stupid to be voting through some of this crap. I like Howard, and the girls are nice to look at buy howie could go. He's a dork. It'd be nice to see a really good magic act make it.

I never knew much about Mel B but she played her "favorite aunt" part well. Stern is the most level headed judge and I agreed with his critique 99% of the time. Howie had come loose this season as he stood up for stupid act after stupid act.
post #200 of 361 Old 08-11-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post

Stern is the most level headed judge and I agreed with his critique 99% of the time.
What's funny to me is when Stern gets booed for saying what everyone else was already thinking. They're not booing because he's giving harsh criticism, they're booing because its rude to tell people exactly why they suck. It's not polite to tell an 8 year old girl that stepping in dog poop is a dumb song.

Howard's criticisms are actually poignant and helpful to the act (if the act succeeds in getting through despite whatever mistake they made). This is a stark contrast to Simon Cowell, who's "criticisms" were more mean spirited and made him look like a jackass.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #201 of 361 Old 08-12-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I think Howard was the most honest of the judges, except for a few sob acts (like army wives) he's been spot on..

post #202 of 361 Old 08-12-2013, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

On all competition shows that I've watched, the audiences boo anything any judge says that is less than glowing, no matter how indisputable or constructive or needed.
post #203 of 361 Old 08-13-2013, 11:51 AM

I'm wondering if there are quota for certain kind of acts to get through to the live shows. The little girl and her dog act was clearly not supposed to be there but she got through without even a Vegas performance. That could be we didn't have that many animal acts so the judges must let her go through.
post #204 of 361 Old 08-13-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Next week each judge gets to bring back an act. I’m thinking Brandon and Savannah, Mitsi Dancing, and maybe one from this week. Tummy Talk will not pass through Wednesday, so that will be Howie’s choice. wink.gif
post #205 of 361 Old 08-13-2013, 01:38 PM

Howie's gonna have a hard choice this year as he loves Tummy talk and adored the screaming kid sister and brother duo.
post #206 of 361 Old 08-13-2013, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Tonight's an average night and I liked:

Cami Bradley the singer
Timber Brown the acrobat
Taylor Williamson the commedian

Jimmy Rose picked a bad song, he should have picked a more laid back Willi Nelson type of song to sing but I think he'll get through.
Aerial Ice is good and probably will go through but the performance was lost in the bad camera cut and directing.
post #207 of 361 Old 08-14-2013, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryJames View Post

Howie's gonna have a hard choice this year as he loves Tummy talk and adored the screaming kid sister and brother duo.

ROFL he buzzed Tummy Talk last night..

I still don't know how those guys went straight to NY

Very average if not mediocre night, nothing caught my eye, who ever picked the groups to be shown each night should be fired (and should give the camera director some company)

post #208 of 361 Old 08-14-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Next week each judge gets to bring back an act.
They selected sixty quarter-finalists this year, so next week we'll see the last twelve of them.  The week after, then, each judge will get to bring back three acts.  The four winners from each of the five quarter-finals and from the wildcard round will then be the twenty-four semifinalists.  Seems there are no YouTube auditions this season.

Again, no strong opinions about the acts.  My notes are upstairs, so maybe I'll post later.

And, yes, my usual topic: even Stern mispronounced "Kenichi" last night (as we heard Cannon do in a clip from last week).  Mandel mispronounced "forte" both of the times he used it: not for Forte the group, but for the word meaning "strong point," where the E is properly silent altogether.  You'd think a Canadian would have had some exposure to French but he not only sounded the silent E, he stressed it.

post #209 of 361 Old 08-14-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:

They selected sixty quarter-finalists this year, so next week we'll see the last twelve of them.  The week after, then, each judge will get to bring back three acts.  The four winners from each of the five quarter-finals and from the wildcard round will then be the twenty-four semifinalists.  Seems there are no YouTube auditions this season.

I will hard pressed to find 3 acts let alone 12 to bring back for the redeemption week. This year's talents are very weak. In fact, most of the acts that had gone through to the semi finals aren't worthy enough already.
post #210 of 361 Old 08-14-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They selected sixty quarter-finalists this year, so next week we'll see the last twelve of them. 

Correct. My guide also says they will make their selections next week as well.

Watching tonight.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page