Help Please: Cinemax Aspect Ratio Issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey everybody, I just got a new Sharp Aquos 60" LED and I pretty much love it (I'd like to hear thoughts on it if anyone has one or has experience with one). It was a massive upgrade from my old Philips 46" LCD and the picture difference is incredible. I have however had just a few small problems. One of them is this. Below is an image of 'Tombstone' playing on Cinemax HD, as you can see the picture is clearly cut off on the left and right sides. My question is, is this a Cinemax issue? A DirecTV issue? I do not believe it is a problem with my TV but I could be wrong. Thanks in advanced.

Julian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-22-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Looks like you have a zoom or crop feature enabled either on your tv or in your directv box.

post #3 of 20 Old 03-22-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Looks like you have a zoom or crop feature enabled either on your tv or in your directv box.

Wouldnt that be a problem on all the channels then & not just skinemax ?

post #4 of 20 Old 03-22-2013, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I checked other movies I had DVR'd and some were perfect, shown in 16:9. I'm thinking it's just Cinemax for whatever reason, kind of crappy to see some movies in fullscreen like that.

post #5 of 20 Old 03-22-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Cinemax doesn't do OAR - Tombstone is 2:35, so I'm guessing that's the result.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-22-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 418
City of Ombston - population, unknown due to cropping...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-22-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

HD stuff, sure. I don't have Cinemax on my Directv unless it's a promo weekend; had one a few weeks ago and no issues. However,have seen some of the other channels like Turner or similar lowend commercial HD channel on occasion show a movie in a pre-cropped/zoomed format.

post #8 of 20 Old 03-22-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Channels like Cinemax, HBO, Sony Movie Channel, and Starz all crop widescreen movies. It is a terrible practice, but no one complains so they continue to do it. As do non-premium channels like AMC, FX, TNT, and so on. I NEVER watch a movie on those channels. The EPIX channel shows a few movies uncropped, but all Paramount movies are cropped. Only Showtime, The Movie Channel, and HDNet Movies show films uncropped in HD as policy...bless 'em.

post #9 of 20 Old 03-22-2013, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Ok well that makes sense, guess I'll just stick to blu-rays then, thanks folks

post #10 of 20 Old 03-23-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 96
SW Ep III Revenge of the sith on blu is like WOW total eye candy. biggrin.gif

post #11 of 20 Old 03-23-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Guess I don't realize how much many of even the movie channels crop to provide full 16:9 screen presentations. That first pic example though seems a bit much, how does that compare to the 2.35 version?

post #12 of 20 Old 03-23-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Joshua Zyber had a very good delineation of various widescreen processes and how cropping changes the filmmakers' intent...even when there's some extra picture info at the top and bottom (see the DARK CITY examples). Personally, I haven't watched a widescreen movie on HBO in years. Their original programming is good, but HBO is garbage for most feature films.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/764

post #13 of 20 Old 03-23-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Hey everybody, I just got a new Sharp Aquos 60" LED and I pretty much love it (I'd like to hear thoughts on it if anyone has one or has experience with one). It was a massive upgrade from my old Philips 46" LCD and the picture difference is incredible. I have however had just a few small problems. One of them is this. Below is an image of 'Tombstone' playing on Cinemax HD, as you can see the picture is clearly cut off on the left and right sides. My question is, is this a Cinemax issue? A DirecTV issue? I do not believe it is a problem with my TV but I could be wrong. Thanks in advanced.

I don't have this problem, and I have never heard of anyone else having this problem with their DIrecTV equipment. Something is definitely set incorrectly, but as you say, why only that one channel? It is also cut off on the top and bottom in the image you posted, not just right and left, so maybe some "zoom" function is set. Again, though why only on one channel? I'd start checking settings, and if you still have access to the 46 inch TV, reconnect it and see if it is happening with it, If not, it can ONLY be a setting in your new television.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #14 of 20 Old 03-23-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sw was cropped on Spike but OAR on HBO (and Cinemax as well)
post #15 of 20 Old 03-23-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There are a couple movies that are shown in OAR on HBO and Cinemax channels. All moves from the mid 2000's to now are all 16:9 full screen.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-23-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

There are a couple movies that are shown in OAR on HBO and Cinemax channels. All moves from the mid 2000's to now are all 16:9 full screen.

yeah, but you can count 'em on one hand. Maybe a couple of old masters (STAR TREK II for example). And those aren't even 5.1. But otherwise, ALL wide movies are cropped. TOMBSTONE came out in the early 90s. So did FORREST GUMP, ROCKEETEER...heck even the 1970s SUPERMAN...all cropped. No movie decade is safe from HBO/MAX

post #17 of 20 Old 03-23-2013, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I'd start checking settings, and if you still have access to the 46 inch TV, reconnect it and see if it is happening with it, If not, it can ONLY be a setting in your new television.

Nothing wrong with his settings. Or Direct TV. It;s Cinemax, as usual. I scanned the Cinemax version, to the same scene. And it's appears the same in my domicile. The entire movie is severely cropped...as is the norm for HBO/MAX. In fact, once GAME OF THRONES is over...I'm cancelling those channels.

post #18 of 20 Old 03-24-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Nothing wrong with his settings. Or Direct TV. It;s Cinemax, as usual. I scanned the Cinemax version, to the same scene. And it's appears the same in my domicile. The entire movie is severely cropped...as is the norm for HBO/MAX. In fact, once GAME OF THRONES is over...I'm cancelling those channels.

Funny, I don't remember seeing anything like that with Dish on Cinemax. I'll see how it looks on Max On-Demand today...

Bobby 

post #19 of 20 Old 03-24-2013, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I'd start checking settings, and if you still have access to the 46 inch TV, reconnect it and see if it is happening with it, If not, it can ONLY be a setting in your new television.

Aftger reading your reply, I recorded it myself and that particular "scene" was exactly as his picture shows. I would be tempted to say that it's the way the film maker wanted, but since it was reported here that Tombstone was filmed in 2:35 aspect ratio, and it filled the whole screen (no black bars anywhere) I have to agree that Cinemax cropped the edges to fill the screen. Yeah, I know, OLD NEWS!

JulianPope, cinema13 is correct. There is nothing wrong with your television, nor is there anything wrong with your DirecTV box, the fault is with Cinemax.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #20 of 20 Old 02-07-2014, 03:30 AM

Liked: 11
Cropping: Another reason to stick with DVD's and on such networks as MGM HD, TCM, Showtime, HDNet Movies, and The Movie Channel if you are an OAR aficonado, and wanna see a flick in its original theatrical aspect ratio.

BTW, I miss Hollywood Pictures, I wish Disney would make live-action, adult-oriented films again, just like what they used to do all the time in the past. frown.gif
JulianPope likes this.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page