ESPN2 Regional? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-25-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I'm watching NCAA basketball, and ESPN2 has four games on at once on ESPN2, with one on cable, and all available through Watch ESPN. It's some sort of regional split where apparently ESPN2 isn't ESPN2 so to speak. Are they really splitting regionally, or is there one "master" feed with a few other areas regionally substituted in? Or are they even distributed? How are they doing this on DirecTV and DISH? Are there four CONUS feeds, with receivers figuring out which one should be shown for that channel number in each zip? Then can a DirecTV user somehow tune the other three CONUS feeds? Or if there is one master, are the other three spots?

Or am I overthinking this, and it's really just all on WatchESPN, and they're just calling it ESPN2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-25-2013, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Directv has them all in HD

ESPN2 is has a master feed with the wraparound and the regional feeds. (local area open) (other feeds are full court or ppv day pass)

I think on cable it's your local area team or wraparound on ESPN 2 and all the full feeds on the SD full court channels.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe The Dragon View Post

Directv has them all in HD

ESPN2 is has a master feed with the wraparound and the regional feeds. (local area open) (other feeds are full court or ppv day pass)

I think on cable it's your local area team or wraparound on ESPN 2 and all the full feeds on the SD full court channels.

Ah, gotcha. I didn't even think of the upsell. So then DirecTV normally just chooses at the receiver by zip and remaps to the main channel number?
post #4 of 14 Old 03-26-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

Ah, gotcha. I didn't even think of the upsell. So then DirecTV normally just chooses at the receiver by zip and remaps to the main channel number?

No remapping for that you need to go the 700's for your local area game in full.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-26-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Color me confused. confused.gif

Are you talking men's NCAA basketball or women's NCAA basketball? The men's games are/were on CBS, TNT, TBS, and TruTV. The women's games are indeed on ESPN2 (I know because I watched most of the Purdue game Sunday smile.gif).
post #6 of 14 Old 03-26-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No remapping for that you need to go the 700's for your local area game in full.

So wait, do you get a local feed and a master feed? Or is the normal ESPN2 channel number blocked while the games are on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Color me confused. confused.gif

Are you talking men's NCAA basketball or women's NCAA basketball? The men's games are/were on CBS, TNT, TBS, and TruTV. The women's games are indeed on ESPN2 (I know because I watched most of the Purdue game Sunday smile.gif).

Pretty sure you just answered your own question there. biggrin.gif I was watching UConn if that helps. smile.gif
post #7 of 14 Old 03-26-2013, 05:09 PM

So wait, do you get a local feed and a master feed? Or is the normal ESPN2 channel number blocked while the games are on?

ESPN 2 is not blacked out

Both and last year like on the last day of MLB we got all 4 ESPN feeds both 1 and 2 as well ESPN 1 ALT and ESPN 2 ALT. No black outs
post #8 of 14 Old 03-27-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ESPN 2 is not blacked out

Both and last year like on the last day of MLB we got all 4 ESPN feeds both 1 and 2 as well ESPN 1 ALT and ESPN 2 ALT. No black outs

But if there's different channel numbers, when what happens to the original if you're not in that region?
post #9 of 14 Old 03-27-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:

But if there's different channel numbers, when what happens to the original if you're not in that region?

ESPN 1 and ESPN 2 have fixed feeds on directv with alt / reverse mirror stuff put on the alt feeds.

Directv also used ESPN alt for FIFA World Cup foreign language audio
post #10 of 14 Old 03-28-2013, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ESPN 1 and ESPN 2 have fixed feeds on directv with alt / reverse mirror stuff put on the alt feeds.

Directv also used ESPN alt for FIFA World Cup foreign language audio

Oh ok, so there is one master that everyone in the US gets then? With some areas having an additional channel?
post #11 of 14 Old 03-28-2013, 08:32 PM

on cable they sub in stuff for your area.

on directv you get more.

Also in the past with old VS channel for the NHL playoffs you got your choice of what overlapping game to view.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-29-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:

Oh ok, so there is one master that everyone in the US gets then?
Yes.
Quote:
With some areas having an additional channel?
It depends on your provider and whether ESPN has the rights to show a particular game in your area. If they don't, it comes down to your provider as to whether they substitute the main for for blackout programming or simply provide an additional substitute channel.

It's a lot easier for cable companies to send only the feed the customer is supposed to be getting than for satellite providers, which tend to have wider areas of coverage where blacking out the channel might black it out for people that should be seeing it, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-30-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Yes.
It depends on your provider and whether ESPN has the rights to show a particular game in your area. If they don't, it comes down to your provider as to whether they substitute the main for for blackout programming or simply provide an additional substitute channel.

It's a lot easier for cable companies to send only the feed the customer is supposed to be getting than for satellite providers, which tend to have wider areas of coverage where blacking out the channel might black it out for people that should be seeing it, too.

Satellite could do it on the receiver by zip.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-30-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:

Satellite could do it on the receiver by zip.
They can authorize the channel to the customer by zip, but can't change the content that way. They would still need to use an alternate channel to provide the blackout programming.

Unlike cable, satellite bubbles often cover whole states or multiple states - or even the entire country for national channels. Cable services are much more regionalized to specific markets, so they can swap the feed on the same channel and only affect the market they need to black out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page